Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMystery

In my experience, and I unfortunately have a fair amount of experience with this sort of program, it is not that she gives up on her jumps. It is the exact opposite. She is confident, usually everything is there in practice, she goes into the jump knowing she will land it, and then suddenly finds herself on her backside without warning.

It is extremely frustrating for the skater and made even worse by people (Johnny) making these sorts of uniformed comments. Trying to fix a jump that is technically fine and there was no reason for the fall is exceedingly difficult.

I kind of think that's the point he was trying to make. Her technique is there and solid and there isn't any particular reason for her to fall, other than she wasn't assertive and confident on those landings last night.

kwanatic

Did you look at the protocols? Interested in your opinion on Julia Biechler’s PCS. I thought they were extremely low. I felt she deserved 8’s/9’s for her actual skating skills.

Yeah, she definitely got hosed in PCS. 8s and 9s would have been too much but I think mid to high 7s would have been very fair. That would have given her around 30 in PCS...granted she did have a fall which may have affected that score but I do think she was better than a 25 in PCS. I especially noticed her transitions between the elements. Very nice, I'd have given her an 8 on those.

I enjoyed her :)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Glenn didnt get full credit for combo spin.. her sit spin wasnt low enough to get full credit... I guess I understand then why she was 69+

Tennell Makes Strong Short Program Statement

Though there are no Olympic berths on the line this week, athletes are competing for selection to the 2019 Four Continents and World Championships teams.

The ladies closed out the first day with a strong showing that ended with a handful of skaters in contention for a spot on the podium. Leading the way is defending champion Bradie Tennell, who is looking to become the first American lady to win back-to-back titles since Ashley Wagner in 2012 and 2013.

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/tennell-makes-strong-short-program-statement/

mag

I kind of think that's the point he was trying to make. Her technique is there and solid and there isn't any particular reason for her to fall, other than she wasn't assertive and confident on those landings last night.

Actually it is more likely the opposite. She is trying too hard. Jumping at 100% when she probably only needs 60%. Too assertive versus not assertive enough. Then when the falling starts, and she has fallen in competition a few times this season, the doubt creeps in so you try even harder. Then you perhaps hear feedback like what Johnny has said and you try harder. Wash, rinse, repeat.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Alysa Liu, 13, makes statement at U.S. Figure Skating Championships

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/aly...cle_ddf6814c-2057-11e9-a00f-476e7e5efc77.html

DETROIT >> Alysa Liu broke into tears on the ice.

Who could blame her?

The 13-year-old skater, wearing a peach-colored sequin dress and matching elbow-length gloves, took another step closer to her goal of becoming the youngest U.S. national women’s champion ever at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships at Little Caesars Arena on Thursday night.

Liu landed a triple Axel in the women’s short program and became emotional when she realized what she had done. Not just the Axel, but also a clean program.

Remember her name. She could well be the future of skating. It’s not a shocker — she was the 2018 U.S. junior champion.

mag

D

Deleted member 53443

Watching Alysa skate is insanely infectious. I am rooting for her tonight, even if I do like Bradie too.
Should be a great free skate to watch.

UGG

Wow that was so sad to read. It’s really sad the very talented skaters just can’t go at their own pace. I realize all athletes put pressure on themselves but it must be 10x worse when you become the “annnointed one” and you aren’t living up to expectations. Not winning in 2016 must have just crushed her. On another note, I had read previously the ball got rolling with Gracie when another skater interviened. I had wondered if it was Ashley, it seemed like something she would do, personality wise. Not many people would want to be bothered, or may feel the were crossing a line. The elements these ladies have to be able to complete to compete for the podium is crazy. Ashley worked her butt off for her silver but realistically, is it possible for a grown woman (Ashley, Gracie etc..) to continuously keep up that level of training without injury? It’s easy for the teens/tweets because they are so much younger and weigh like 80 lbs. With the exception of Med, none of the successful Russian ladies have a standout career over 1 year. The 6.0 system’s scoring stayed relatively the same for the careers of Kwan, Slute etc...and I think that’s why they were able to have such long careers. The judging system didn’t require bendy bodies and continuous 3/3’s to be successful. If Gracie had skated during the 6.0 era she probably would have had a very successful career. I don’t think we will ever see a dominating skater like MK ever again (9 years on the world podium between ages 15 to 22) because the demands to be successful long term are making this no longer possible once the skaters become women. There should be people to help with this transition as far as helping skaters cope with physical changes and how it my change their skating and what the skaters can do to be successful and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I’m not sure if that’s even possible but im sure it’s a very very difficult transition and somehow there needs to be support available.

NAOTMAA

I can't explain it but watching Hanna Harrell's SP performance again there something about her performance that make me think "beauty pageant talent portion" performed on ice :confused: I think it was the costume combined with the facial expressions and hand movements. I don't even know why but it just does :shuffle:

gkelly

I don’t think we will ever see a dominating skater like MK ever again (9 years on the world podium between ages 15 to 22) because the demands to be successful long term are making this no longer possible once the skaters become women.

Dominating, probably not.

You can get someone like Kostner, with 6 medals in 14 Worlds appearances. But probably not in a country like the US with a larger field.

D

Deleted member 53443

If there was a prize for most charming skater in the kiss and cry, Emmy Ma would win it.

NAOTMAA

The crowd felt strangely subdued all night even for Liu. It must have been the most quiet nationals audience for a ladies event in years :shuffle:

and Ting is probably internally killing herself for that SP. If she had been in the final group no doubt she would have won the LP. Oh well always next year

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I’m very curious, is Harrell eligible for 4cc? The senior and jr worlds team seem pretty clear, but I think that even though she beat Cui at nationals, that Cui should get a 4CC spots based on that LP. There’s a lot of potential for both, but I believe that Cui is farther along and it would be good to get her out on a senior level championship ASAP.

VGThuy

I’m very curious, is Harrell eligible for 4cc? The senior and jr worlds team seem pretty clear, but I think that even though she beat Cui at nationals, that Cui should get a 4CC spots based on that LP. There’s a lot of potential for both, but I believe that Cui is farther along and it would be good to get her out on a senior level championship ASAP.

I think Harrell is not age-eligible.

VGThuy

Harrell too young for 4cc this year. Most sensible to me is Ting and Hanna to Jr Worlds, with Megan W to 4cc. I hope Hanna and Megan can improve their SB scores enough to get a GP spot or 2 next season.

I like your thinking. That way both Cui and Wessenberg have a chance to build up their international resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information