Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

Or Ting could do both Four Continents and Junior Worlds (Starr Andrews was assigned to both last year before giving up JW). The down side is that World Standings points can only count from one ISU Championship (Worlds, 4CC/Euros, Junior Worlds) per season and USFS may want to give an opportunity to more, rather than fewer, skaters to earn WS points and boost their rankings.

P.S. I think it's a positive sign for U.S. ladies that we can discuss all of these various possibilities. :D
ITA.

The various possibilities also include possible alternate thread titles, such as:
Starr Trek: The Next Generation (Queue @Sylvia going all :soapbox: on me about using a skater's name in the thread title.) :watch:
Bradie and the Bunch (Ditto)
For Quad's Sake!
Lifestyles of the Rich and Obskur
Crazy Rich Americans
The Lady Bunch
Going Full Circle
On the Edge of Greatness

Your comments on these and any additional suggestions would be appreciated. Or you can tune in tomorrow and see which one I select.

ETA: I can resist everything except temptation. :2faced:

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! šŸ˜
I have a fondness for Bradie & the Bunch

tee-hee

How about: Hey Russia I see your Trusova and raise you a Ting

or

Hey Japan I see your Kihara and raise you a Liu

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I posted about Haley in the U.S. Sectionals thread in Kiss & Cry (she didn't qualify for Nationals in Novice this year, unfortunately): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ast-nov-14-17-2018.104725/page-3#post-5460922

I replied to you about her earlier this year in an earlier U.S. Ladies thread. 2018 Juvenile Girls champ Isabeau Levito qualified for Nationals at the Intermediate level by finishing 2nd at Eastern Sectionals (FS scores of 80+ are included below):
E1-4: Lindsay Thorngren, Ice House Of New Jersey FSC NA1 (136.54, 87.20 FS), Isabeau Levito, SC Of Southern New Jersey NA2 (129.51, 83.73 FS), Gloria Xia, University of Delaware FSC SA1 (117.81), Hazel Collier, SC of Boston NE1 (113.90)
I'll go find the event link to watch (it's free) - ETA: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=305

Yes, thatā€™s right. it is Levito you replied to me about, not H. Scott.
Are there any videos of Scott? I donā€™t see any. Either way, I am keeping an eye on these two girls, I like them. (same as about Elisa Freezer, but she is not longer competing, just my luck.. :lol:)

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
From the now closed thread:
Also, there is a young US girl who i think is very good too, and i don't see her anywhere mentioned on FSU.
Isabella Levito i think has "world quality IT potential"
I replied to you about her earlier this year in an earlier U.S. Ladies thread:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/u-s-ladies-22-no-more-carrots.103716/page-16#post-5374495

2018 Juvenile Girls champ Isabeau Levito qualified for Nationals at the Intermediate level by finishing 2nd in a very competitive field at Eastern Sectionals (FS scores of 80+ are included below):
E1-4: Lindsay Thorngren, Ice House Of New Jersey FSC NA1 (136.54, 87.20 FS), Isabeau Levito, SC Of Southern New Jersey NA2 (129.51, 83.73 FS), Gloria Xia, University of Delaware FSC SA1 (117.81), Hazel Collier, SC of Boston NE1 (113.90)
To watch the event for free: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=305
Thorngren's 1st place program starts around the 1 hour 4 min. mark and Levito skates right after her. Collier skated #5 (~48:45 mark) due to her 10th place finish in the SP and was able to qualify for Nationals by placing 3rd in the FS.

ETA that I don't really feel like linking to Scott's events at Easterns in this thread because they do not show her at her best. ETA #2 - Haley had a 2nd place SP performance at South Atlantic Regionals that better shows her potential, IMO (after the 59 min./closer to the 1 hour mark): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=341

Last edited:

mtnskater

I find myself very captivated by Ting Cui's skating. She skates like a gazelle. So light and airy. The jumps are some of the best I've seen in a long time. Almost like Ilyia Kulik in their lightness and ease. She surprises me when she falls because her technique is so good, it seems like she shouldn't fall. Her spins are fab too. The amplitude and extension of the free leg in the jump-over sit spin is gorgeous. Yes, she needs to develop the presentation and presence (and packaging/tiffing)...and hopefully she will. I'm definitely on the Ting train!! :biggrinbo

Sylvia

Debbie S

I'd also prefer not to use skaters' names in the title - if the purpose is to discuss all U.S. ladies, the title should apply to all U.S. ladies.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'd also prefer not to use skaters' names in the title - if the purpose is to discuss all U.S. ladies, the title should apply to all U.S. ladies.

I don't think it's dissing the other ladies to mention names. (I don't think I'd ever even heard any reservations before; I must have missed some conversations.) It's just a fun thread title; it's not like cutting them out of a group photo or something. JMHO.

aftershocks

Banned Member
...Starr Trek: The Next Generation (Queue @Sylvia going all :soapbox: on me about using a skater's name in the thread title.) :watch:
Bradie and the Bunch (Ditto)

ETA: I can resist everything except temptation. :2faced:

I think 'Starr-Trek: The Next Generation' actually has a nice ring to it, as does 'Bradie and the Bunch.' :lol:

Tinami Amori said:
Also, there is a young US girl who i think is very good too, and i don't see her anywhere mentioned on FSU.
Isabella Levito i think has "world quality IT potential"..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyB1n5LjMMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcH6vkDnpJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktFU9hLmuIM

As Sylvia pointed out in the previous U.S. ladies thread, her name is Isabeau Levito. She's pretty and she obviously has talent. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to overly focus on the future prospects of very young skaters. There's no telling how they will develop, what will happen, or what choices they or the adults around them may end up making going forward (witness Elise Freezer 'no longer competing,' which I was not aware of until mentioned by you). Making it long term in figure skating is a crap shoot.

Obviously, there's still plenty of time if young skaters do continue in the sport to begin engaging in building them up and tearing them down. :COP:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Is this Starrting to ring Bell?

Moreover, will it be Bradie who swiftly and confidently glides to that door, sans URs, and opens it first? :watch:

WillyElliot said:
I'd rather support boring Bradie who at least finishes competitions and takes her results on her chin whether good or bad...

What a backhanded compliment. I've personally never found Bradie to be boring. She's neat, pulled together and self-possessed. She displays a confidence and a self-belief that in many talented skaters is sorely lacking. Also, far from being complacent with her new-found success, Bradie has worked extremely hard to improve her presentation and aesthetics, which frankly, are not as weak as constantly blared by her detractors.

Bradie is learning how to use her arms more effectively, and to more fully express the music. I'm impressed with her new programs. I preferred her initial sp costume to the glitzier version, so I wish she would go back to the earlier one because it seems to reflect the haunting sp theme a lot better. Anyway, Benoit Richaud has been working so well with Bradie and with the Knierims.

Sylvia

So what happened with Elise Freezer? Injury?
Tinami posted about her in the previous thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...hat-a-novice-idea.104268/page-19#post-5431876
Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to overly focus on the future prospects of very young skaters. There's no telling how they will develop, what will happen <snip>
Agreed. There are many talented skaters at the lower levels in the U.S. and I like to enjoy them in the present moment (eta: as a supportive fan of skating & skaters) rather than attempt to predict who will make it to/be successful at the senior level.

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

But you can't just sit back and hope and pray they turn into a great champion. You have to support and nurture them as much as you can and that usually starts very early. Obviously there are "right ways and wrong ways" of doing it so that no one gets hurt. Not everyone is so naturally talented that they can make it happen on their own, many need the push and help to discover it.
A huge majority of stars (sports or otherwise) we're made because they were pushed, or carefully molded and observed, not because they were allowed to go at a steady wait and see pace (those type of stars are a small minority).

Frida80

But you can't just sit back and hope and pray they turn into a great champion. You have to support and nurture them as much as you can and that usually starts very early. Obviously there are "right ways and wrong ways" of doing it so that no one gets hurt. Not everyone is so naturally talented that they can make it happen on their own, many need the push and help to discover it.
A huge majority of stars (sports or otherwise) we're made because they were pushed, or carefully molded and observed, not because they were allowed to go at a steady wait and see pace (those type of stars are a small minority).

That's up their team not fans. I used to follow juvenile too. But after seeing so many fizzle out, I find it's a lot easier to wait until Novice, when the triples are a bit more consistent. I'll enjoy juvenile and intermediate performances as stand alone performances, but I won't actively follow them anymore.

Sylvia

These are the age-eligible U.S. ladies with the TES minimums for 2019 Junior Worlds (scores are referenced below):

Competing Senior at 2019 Nationals:

Ting CUI ISU World Junior Championships 2018 36.33 / ISU World Junior Championships 2018 65.16
ISU JGP Czech Skate 2018 40.43 / ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2018 52.94

Hanna HARRELL ISU JGP Egna Neumarkt 2017 33.89 / ISU JGP Egna Neumarkt 52.44
ISU JGP Armenian Cup 2018 28.77 / ISU JGP Armenian Cup 2018 55.73

Pooja KALYAN Bavarian Open 2018 32.05 / Bavarian Open 2018 54.86
ISU JGP Bratislava 2018 34.57 / ISU JGP Bratislava 2018 54.63

Ashley LIN ISU JGP Riga Cup 2017 30.06 / ISU JGP Riga Cup 2017 55.74
Asian Open FS Trophy 2018 30.33 / Asian Open FS Trophy 2018 54.01

Starr ANDREWS ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2017 33.96 / ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2017 47.12

Akari NAKAHARA Challenge Cup 2018 24.48 / Challenge Cup 2018 46.66

Competing Junior at 2019 Nationals:

Gabriella IZZO Challenge Cup 2018 31.16 / Challenge Cup 2018 47.44
Asian Open FS Trophy 2018 34.84 / Asian Open FS Trophy 2018 55.57

Emilia MURDOCK Golden Bear 2018 34.07 / Golden Bear 2018 58.55

Audrey SHIN USA Asian Open FS Trophy 2017 23.42 / Asian Open FS Trophy 2017 34.61
ISU JGP Amber Cup 2018 22.93 / ISU JGP Amber Cup 2018 44.33

---

For Junior international scores achieved in 2018-19:
Ladies 23 / 38

For Junior international scores achieved in 2017-18:
Ladies 21 / 36

concorde

Agreed. There are many talented skaters at the lower levels in the U.S. and I like to enjoy them in the present moment (eta: as a supportive fan of skating & skaters) rather than attempt to predict who will make it to/be successful at the senior level.

Well meaning fans can be hard on the young skater. One mom that I know commented that her child had "too much success at an early age." She said as soon as her child was to skate, everyone would run to see watch. If her child fell, everyone would gasp. The pressure essentially broke the skater and the parent is now reconsidering the path forward.

Bonita

Well meaning fans can be hard on the young skater. One mom that I know commented that her child had "too much success at an early age." She said as soon as her child was to skate, everyone would run to see watch. If her child fell, everyone would gasp. The pressure essentially broke the skater and the parent is now reconsidering the path forward.

I used to skate with Kelly Ogrady and Hanoko Gutterman (I apologize for probably misspelling both names). Both never reached their potentials.

I also skated with Jenny Kirk who both did and did not.

It's a brutal sport.

mgobluegirl

This is one of the reasons I'm not sad that Juvenile and Intermediate will no longer go to nationals. Too much focus on winning at the early levels, rather than developing the skills necessary to be successful at the higher levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information