A time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to watch, and a time to skate;
A time to relax, and a time to reboot.

⛸⛸​

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
olympic said:
I have to say that Karen Chen is looking good. She is sailing thru her jumps w/ the occasional hiccup, but she exudes a more confident attitude on the ice. I see her with natural progression over the course of the season challenging someone like Mariah for a spot on the World team.

It's nice to see Karen looking more confident. Her 're-booting' appears to be working out well at the moment. :)

We have to wait and see how the season transpires. She has good programs that should evolve. How she manages school and skating will also be interesting.

Ladies haven't been my fave discipline for sometime, but I do enjoy watching many of the ladies. I just don't fully enjoy the discipline as a whole in the way I do the other disciplines, particularly pairs. I also have my fave men and ice dance teams. If I had to choose which to watch first, its usually pairs, then men and ice dance equally, with a handful of ladies bringing up the rear.

concorde

I wanted to correct something in the old thread.

Some skaters (Elsa Cheng and Haley Scott are rwo of the more recognizable examples) registered for the NQS as both a Junior and a Novice. This is allowable as long as at any competition they only skate on one level. My guess is at the end season, they will look at their placements and then decide which level to compete at for Sectionals.

Bottom line these skaters are officially skating at both levels. They just wanted to keep their options open. The reason this works is because the times for both programs is the same, the only difference in the elements is the Junior requires and extra spin in the short.

natsulian

Thoughts on having Test Skates for US ladies?

Say, the top four/five ladies each get two Junior Grand Prix and the rest of the ladies might receive one assignment based on summer monitoring. That way, if lady A does poorly during the Test Skate, but proves herself to be worthy during the other summer competitions, she can have an opportunity to be selected for a Junior Grand Prix event.

Furthermore, ladies who do not qualify for the I.S.P. cannot compete on the Junior Grand Prix unless they medalled at the previous Nationals (since there has to be some sort of incentive for those who did medal during high pressure competitions). Additionally, make the requirements for the I.S.P. public, hold livestreams for the Test Skates, and bring in renowned coaches and/or technicians to help lead the high performance camps.

Finally, for those who medal at a Junior Grand Prix event and/or made it to the Final, they are automatically put into a "high priority" list and are guaranteed one Junior Grand Prix event for the next season. That way, if lady A earned a bronze at Latvia, but then went on to bomb the next season's Test Skate, she will not be put into the "low priority" list where she is not guaranteed an event. However, if lady A places out of the Top 5 in her event, she will not be guaranteed a second event. That way, the ladies who did medal are given high priority, but if they fail to replicate that success, other ladies can swoop in.

South Korea, Japan, and Russia all have a form of test skates and their ladies are some of the top skaters in the world. Plus, it enables these ladies to learn how to deal with competitions where a lot is at stake.

Dobre

I don't really care. I think we should have novice Nationals, though, for the same argument you are making about identifying and teaching athletes to deal with high pressure situations prior to the JGP. (I don't see how inviting a couple novice athletes to join the juniors will really do that as I'm not clear on how those couple athletes, themselves, are going to be selected. It seems like the odds might be quite high that the athlete that really rises to the occasion under pressure might not be previously identified?)

Dobre

Don't they have test skates at Champs Camp?

I think natsulian is talking about as a selection procedure for the Junior Grand Prix. A few juniors were invited to Champs Camp last season, but they were already clearly the ones getting spots on the JGP.

gkelly

(I don't see how inviting a couple novice athletes to join the juniors will really do that as I'm not clear on how those couple athletes, themselves, are going to be selected.

The top 2 finishers in the novice events at each Sectional challenge will be invited to compete as juniors at Nationals.

They will also be invited to the high performance camp there, along with the 3rd and 4th-place novices and the 1st- to 4th-place juveniles and intermediates.

Dobre

The top 2 finishers in the novice events at each Sectional challenge will be invited to compete as juniors at Nationals.

So there will be six, then? That is better. Still not the same kind of pressure as heading into an event at one's own level and being expected to win; but better than the two or three I was under the impression were being invited.

How would you determine who gets invited? One plus I do see for the current system is that athletes who are not previously identified as being likely JGP prospects do have the opportunity to go out into competition and earn high scores to put their names into the conversation.

natsulian

So there will be six, then? That is better. Still not the same kind of pressure as heading into an event at one's own level and being expected to win; but better than the two or three I was under the impression were being invited.

How would you determine who gets invited? One plus I do see for the current system is that athletes who are not previously identified as being likely JGP prospects do have the opportunity to go out into competition and earn high scores to put their names into the conversation. How many ladies do Russia & Japan typically invite? Korea has a whole competition, I know.
It would be best to have a competition where anyone can compete in the Short, but only the Top 12 or so will move onto the Free.

jlai

Question everything
We already kinda do except they are in the form of several club competitions not one big test skate. Recently those who do well in Glacier falls, Broadmoor etc do end up competing if there are spots?

Ena Grins

Say, the top four/five ladies each get two Junior Grand Prix and the rest of the ladies might receive one assignment based on summer monitoring.

I don't mind the idea of more test skates for junior competitors, but I do think you need to leave room for skaters who do well/medal at a JGP to get another JGP, since that rewards their performance within the same season and gives them a shot at qualifying for the final.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
The summer club comps, plus Champs Camp, are the analog to test skates in the US. Not sure why we need to do it exactly like Russia? IMHO, the Russian version comes pretty late in the summer; the club comps allow a skater to get their work out on multiple occasions if needed to showcase their readiness.

winston

The summer club comps, plus Champs Camp, are the analog to test skates in the US. Not sure why we need to do it exactly like Russia? IMHO, the Russian version comes pretty late in the summer; the club comps allow a skater to get their work out on multiple occasions if needed to showcase their readiness.

I would also include the High Performance Camp (formerly ISP camp) held immediately following Broadmoor. This is the Champs Camp equivalent for Non-GP skaters.

Tinami Amori

Some skaters (Elsa Cheng and Haley Scott are rwo of the more recognizable examples) registered for the NQS as both a Junior and a Novice.
Can you pls help me out and give me exact event and when Haley Scott will participate in? (i don't follow local comps too much). Haley Scott is someone i've been watching and think she is wonderful, but don't get to see her too often at all.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Can you pls help me out and give me exact event and when Haley Scott will participate in? (i don't follow local comps too much). Haley Scott is someone i've been watching and think she is wonderful, but don't get to see her too often at all.
Haley just competed in the Philadelphia Summer Championships club comp. last week and finished 3rd (131.73) in the Junior Ladies Combined Event behind Lindsay Thorngren (161.61, which now is the 4th highest NQS score in Junior) and Elsa Cheng (who currently has the top NQS combined score in Novice, 158.83 at Skate Milwaukee) ... here was Elsa's podium photo of the 3 of them: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0rkkoMHRBQ/
I also posted this action photo of Haley in the Philly comp. thread in Kiss & Cry (this person who watched her compete there was very impressed, as was I several years ago when I last saw her in person): https://www.instagram.com/p/B0oGPMIhfDk/

Haley currently is coached by Silvia Fontana in Florida, along with her younger sister, Jordan (age 10 who is slightly taller than Haley already): https://www.instagram.com/p/B0rrD1pHsts/
I found a local Florida article from last year when Haley was 12 that includes a section on the Scotts ("Skating sisters shine"): http://lakerlutznews.com/lln/?p=57542
ETA: Jordan Scott currently has the top NQS Juvenile Girls FS score (61.53).

Last edited:

natsulian

Thus far, we have 9 ladies on the Junior Grand Prix. That leaves us with 6 more spots. Harrell, Liu, and Izzo will probably each receive one more assignment. That leaves us with 3 spots left. I’m certain the federation will give Lindsay Thorngren a spot, so let’s say 2 spots are left. If a lady who was not already given a second spot surprises and does well at her first event, I’m sure she’ll be taking one of the two remaining spots. Thus, for the last on or two spots, depending on the circumstance, they’ll probably choose from the top scoring junior ladies: Sarah, Ellen, and Elsa.

CaliSteve

Say, the top four/five ladies each get two Junior Grand Prix and the rest of the ladies might receive one assignment based on summer monitoring. That way, if lady A does poorly during the Test Skate, but proves herself to be worthy during the other summer competitions, she can have an opportunity to be selected for a Junior Grand Prix event.

Furthermore, ladies who do not qualify for the I.S.P. cannot compete on the Junior Grand Prix unless they medalled at the previous Nationals (since there has to be some sort of incentive for those who did medal during high pressure competitions). Additionally, make the requirements for the I.S.P. public, hold livestreams for the Test Skates, and bring in renowned coaches and/or technicians to help lead the high performance camps.

Finally, for those who medal at a Junior Grand Prix event and/or made it to the Final, they are automatically put into a "high priority" list and are guaranteed one Junior Grand Prix event for the next season. That way, if lady A earned a bronze at Latvia, but then went on to bomb the next season's Test Skate, she will not be put into the "low priority" list where she is not guaranteed an event. However, if lady A places out of the Top 5 in her event, she will not be guaranteed a second event. That way, the ladies who did medal are given high priority, but if they fail to replicate that success, other ladies can swoop in.

South Korea, Japan, and Russia all have a form of test skates and their ladies are some of the top skaters in the world. Plus, it enables these ladies to learn how to deal with competitions where a lot is at stake.

If they have test skates, they should have it for every discipline. Also, what good is having a test skate if they talent isnt there. I think they need to pretty much start from scratch. Identify talent and potential talent from the Novice level and invest in those skaters.

Last edited:

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
I think they need to pretty much start from scratch. Identify talent and potential talent from the Novice level and invest in those skaters.
That's what USFS has been trying to do for the past several seasons when they first started sending young skaters to novice international competitions, such as Pooja Kalyan and Audrey Shin (Golden Bear in Oct. 2016) and Alysa Liu (Asian Open Trophy in Aug. 2017 & 2018, Challenge Cup in Feb. 2018).
ETA: 2016 Golden Bear was also Starr Andrews' first junior international assignment and ditto for Hanna Harrell at the 2017 Asian Open Trophy.

Speaking of Alysa, it looks like she had a lot of fun at the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports awards show that was taped in July for broadcast; I've posted links to photos here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/alysa-liu-participated-in-nickelodeons-kids’-choice-sports-awards-2019.105871/

Last edited:

Maximillian

RIP TA
Gracie's 3Lz+3T practice clip is from Vincent Restencourt's IG today: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1G_WjuH8Xu/
("I know a lot of people were waiting for this and also some were doubting about this! Your determination and your hard work is a true inspiration, I’m so proud of you! It’s only the beginning 👊🏻")

Not gonna lie, this clip has me giddy as a schoolgirl/boy. I know a 3/3 in isolation is not the same as a 3/3 in the context of a 4 min. 7 triple IJS program, but still...there's some hope...

Chris_E

Not gonna lie, this clip has me giddy as a schoolgirl/boy. I know a 3/3 in isolation is not the same as a 3/3 in the context of a 4 min. 7 triple IJS program, but still...there's some hope...

Her short program music is playing so this was definitely in a run through, hopefully that's a good sign of her progress!

CaliSteve

That's what USFS has been trying to do for the past several seasons when they first started sending young skaters to novice international competitions, such as Pooja Kalyan and Audrey Shin (Golden Bear in Oct. 2016) and Alysa Liu (Asian Open Trophy in Aug. 2017 & 2018, Challenge Cup in Feb. 2018).
ETA: 2016 Golden Bear was also Starr Andrews' first junior international assignment and ditto for Hanna Harrell at the 2017 Asian Open Trophy.

Speaking of Alysa, it looks like she had a lot of fun at the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports awards show that was taped in July for broadcast; I've posted links to photos here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/alysa-liu-participated-in-nickelodeons-kids’-choice-sports-awards-2019.105871/

I was thinking in lines of additional coaching or technical assistance etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information