Status
Not open for further replies.

natsulian

With the quarantine affecting almost the entirety of the world, now is a great time to forget about the woes of the world and indulge in some of the season’s best performances.

- Karen Chen’s absolutely thrilling and redemptive skates at Four Continents where she put out TWO CLEAN performances (clean defined by having no falls in this case).

- Bradie Tennell’s captivating performances at the Grand Prix Final where she showed up and showed out.

- Mariah Bell’s magical Free Skate to “Hallelujah” at Nationals. This will be remembered for a VERY long time.

- Amber Glenn’s impressive performance to “Scars”.

- Alysa Liu’s Junior Worlds Free Skate where she showed maturity, lines, and the ability to skate well under pressure.

- Kate Wang’s impressive outing on the Junior Grand Prix circuit where she put out two clean performances including a Free Skate with a 3Lz+3Lo.

- Isabeau Levito’s beautiful performances at Nationals.

(Linked above)

- Audrey Shin’s Free Skate at the Youth Olympics.

- Gracie Gold’s emotional performances at Nationals.

What are some of yours?

Honorable mentions: Calista Choi’s skating skills, Isabelle Inthisone’s impressive technical arsenal, and Starr’s Junior Worlds outing.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
With the quarantine affecting almost the entirety of the world, now is a great time to forget about the woes of the world and indulge in some of the season’s best performances.

- Karen Chen’s absolutely thrilling and redemptive skates at Four Continents where she put out TWO CLEAN performances (clean defined by having no falls in this case).

- Bradie Tennell’s captivating performances at the Grand Prix Final where she showed up and showed out.

- Mariah Bell’s magical Free Skate to “Hallelujah” at Nationals. This will be remembered for a VERY long time.

- Amber Glenn’s impressive performance to “Scars”.

- Alysa Liu’s Junior Worlds Free Skate where she showed maturity, lines, and the ability to skate well under pressure.

- Kate Wang’s impressive outing on the Junior Grand Prix circuit where she put out two clean performances including a Free Skate with a 3Lz+3Lo.

- Isabeau Levito’s beautiful performances at Nationals.

(Linked above)

- Audrey Shin’s Free Skate at the Youth Olympics.

- Gracie Gold’s emotional performances at Nationals.

What are some of yours?

Honorable mentions: Calista Choi’s skating skills, Isabelle Inthisone’s impressive technical arsenal, and Starr’s Junior Worlds outing.

Great roundup of performances!

clairecloutier

Mariah Bell is living in her parents' RV during the BB shutdown. (Better than it might sound--it's a fairly luxe RV. :D ) As ever, Mariah is looking on the bright side of this whole experience. :)

annie720

Mariah Bell is living in her parents' RV during the BB shutdown. (Better than it might sound--it's a fairly luxe RV. :D ) As ever, Mariah is looking on the bright side of this whole experience. :)

I didn't know you could get an RV with a full-sized refrigerator. That's the same model I have in my house! And how many TV's do they have? There's even one on the outside. Wow. But then I've never been in an RV so maybe this is standard.

Tinami Amori

I didn't know you could get an RV with a full-sized refrigerator. That's the same model I have in my house! And how many TV's do they have? There's even one on the outside. Wow. But then I've never been in an RV so maybe this is standard.

one can install several TVs in an RV, as long as space allows.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

The big ones like this are basically rolling homes. The sides slide out to give you more space when you park and it's not uncommon for owners to have a nice "Outdoor' set with TV etc..

euterpe

Don't you have to have a place to park the RV when you're not touring? You'd need utilities and sewage, too. You'd probably have to own a piece of land that's zoned to allow mobile homes.

Carolla5501

Don't you have to have a place to park the RV when you're not touring? You'd need utilities and sewage, too. You'd probably have to own a piece of land that's zoned to allow mobile homes.

Well there are lots of VERY nice RV parks out there. THe one the Bell's are in is very nice. (I think I have an idea which one it is... and it's nicer than a lot of "normal" subdivisions)

My father was a live aboard for years. You just take a long term 'rent' on one of these park places and have yourself a good time.

When they aren't using them there are storage lots for them.

Last edited:

Bellanca

Nice interview from Mariah. Mariah said a couple of times how small the sport is when compared to the bigger picture. So very true. Smart girl! Always been a Bell supporter and for good reason, she has her priorities straight.

Eta: Bell’s rabbit Gizmo in quarantine with them, too. :love:

Last edited:

clairecloutier

AngieNikodinovLove

Alexa

Article about Mirai helping with Parent’s restaurant during this difficult time

She also posted the article on IG

clairecloutier

Here's a short article on Indi Cha, who was U.S. ladies intermediate national champion in 2018:

Indi lost most of last season to a knee injury, but is now almost recovered and hoping for a successful return to the ice.

The article doesn't mention the current covid-19 situation and how that may be affecting her.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Polina Edmunds' tweet today (includes 4 photos): https://twitter.com/PolinaEdmunds/status/1272573368638689283
Graduating with a bachelors degree in Communication & minor in Business! Thank you @SantaClaraUniv for the happiest 4 years of my life
Congratulations to her!

USFS' website has featured articles on several U.S. ladies in rcent months...

Mirai Nagasu: https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/article/productive-and-hopeful-nagasu-sorting-life-out-boston
Excerpt from the end:
Next up for Nagasu, she hopes, is regaining strength in her hip. She’s consulting with Dr. Ellen Geminiani, the chair of the U.S. Figure Skating Sports Science and Medicine Committee who practices at Boston Children’s Hospital, in hopes of resolving chronic pain from her earlier surgery. Even if she never returns to competition, she would certainly like to pursue a performing and coaching career free of pain.
“Nothing is as satisfying as pushing through a long program,” she said. “I guess I like to be hard and mean to myself because there’s nothing like feeling your lungs almost give out after a long program, and then going back to work on the elements that you made mistakes on. I miss all that.”

Gracie Gold Q&A: https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/article/gracie-gold-getting-back
Excerpt:
Tell me about the standing ovation at the U.S. Championships.

Gracie: I ended in my lunge, and I was like, “OK, that was pretty good. That wasn’t too bad.” But then the audience erupted. The noise was overwhelmingly loud and it was for something bigger than the performance. That was different, because that doesn’t happen a lot in skating. But they were standing up —the feeling and the energy was for something bigger than skating. It felt like it was for me as a person, and that was different. And then how long the applause lasted. At first, I wasn’t crying because I had so much adrenaline, but then the moment immediately brought tears to my eyes, because the applause was still going at the same intensity even while I was bowing.
I was aware the skating didn’t deserve that, but it was just that moment that was bigger than skating, bigger than my performance. It felt like it stood for something and that I was being applauded for my journey and for what that moment in my life symbolized.

Both Mariah and Bradie spoke with USFS' Friends of Figure Skating members via a Zoom chat in recent months.
Bradie in May:
Link to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfcOcSjP0QE

Mariah in April: https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/article/life-inside-mariah-bells-rv
Link to watch (from inside her parents' RV): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-kQDUpEjs4

natsulian

According to TSL, Alysa Liu has changed coaches and will now be under Massimo Scali. They said that, "signs point to working with Lee Barkell." Fans were speculating after Liu unfollowed Laura on Instagram but hopefully the split was amicable. Wishing Alysa the best of luck with this coaching change.

Original tweet: https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1275067773266227201?s=20

Sylvia

Excerpt that quotes Massimo Scali on working with Alysa from this article after the 2020 Nationals SP: https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01...-has-long-climb-at-u-s-skating-championships/
Most recently, Liu has started to work with Massimo Scali, a three-time Olympic ice dancer from Italy.
“The goal for Alysa’s improvement is to raise the level of her skating skills to reach an effortless way of skating,” Scali said this week. “Also, improving the maturity and the quality of her movements by focusing on her expression and connectivity throughout the programs.”
Scali is confident the 4-foot-10 Liu will eventually become a more complete skater.
“Alysa has absorbed so much new information in just a few weeks of working together,” he said. “She’s already more polished and demonstrating better flow, attention to detail and expression. That’s what I expect from her this year and I know she will make it happen.”
ETA that this is the most recent article, published on June 18, about Alysa (I assume her quotes are from 2020 Junior Worlds): https://www.goldenskate.com/2020/06/repetition-is-key-for-usas-alysa-liu/

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Rebecca Moose

Banned Member
it was clear laura lipetsky was in over her head this season, once alysa competed internationally, so I'm relieved to see this change.

aliona22

losing to the russian girl for silver at junior worlds who didn't have a quad or a 3axel is a BIG problem. alysa needs a coach who can properly promote and politic for her. she's going against the eteri machine and I don't think lipetsky is up to it. the programs were OK but needed to be better and showcase alysa more.

This ^

Seeing Alysa on the ice with the Russian girls highlighted her lack of speed, ice coverage, and power.

Sylvia

Phil Hersh's tweet: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1275150765070450690
Got confirmation from person with first-hand knowledge that 2-time US Fig Skate Champ [Alysa Liu] has left longtime coach Laura Lipetsky to work with team including Massimo Scali in Oakland and Lori Nichol / Lee Barkell in Toronto. They had been together all 9 years Liu has skated

ETA that USFS' press release is out (same version is linked below): https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/press-release/alysa-liu-announces-coaching-change
Two-time and reigning U.S. champion Alysa Liu announced today that she will begin training under a new team of coaches including Lee Barkell, Lori Nichol and Massimo Scali. She has worked with all the coaches except Barkell in the past.
Liu, who became the youngest lady to win a U.S. title at age 13 in 2019, will continue to be based in Oakland, California.
“I am very excited to announce that I will be training under the guidance of a new team of coaches including Lee Barkell, Lori Nichol and Massimo Scali," Liu said. "I look forward to working with all my coaches even though some of them are located in different parts of the world.”
“I want to take this opportunity to thank my former coach Laura Lipetsky for everything she has done for me since the beginning of my career,” Liu said. “We’ve worked so closely together and she has helped me get to where I am today.”
Liu will compete as a junior internationally and senior domestically during the 2020-21 season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information