Status
Not open for further replies.

Spun Silver

I feel bad for Lipetsky who accomplished something no North American coach had ever done - turn out a female skater capable of a 3A and quads. But at the same time I admire Alysa's determination to do everything in her power to perfect her skating. That kind of drive is fantastic. I wish them both greatness.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I feel bad for Lipetsky who accomplished something no North American coach had ever done - turn out a female skater capable of a 3A and quads. But at the same time I admire Alysa's determination to do everything in her power to perfect her skating. That kind of drive is fantastic. I wish them both greatness.

I agree.

And now her next step should be organic and fluid. She should come down here and be coached by the legendary Angela Nikodinov. 🙏🏻

Vagabond

@Vagabond and people reading this... any ideas for a new thread title?
Do people want a new thread now, or should we wait? Our U.S. Ladies have not achieved 2020 vision, at least not yet. :(

Possible titles:

Endless Summer
Seeking Seasonal Work
Skating with Adjusted Vision
Beyond 2020 Vision
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Bell Centre

:unsure:

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Since the 2020-21 season is still so uncertain, I don't mind continuing with this thread.

Amber Glenn's recent interviews:

On Ice Perspectives' Jordan Cowan (May 25), including footage he filmed in October 2019:

SkateProud's Javier Raya (June 9):

Before the rinks shut down in March, Amber worked with Misha Ge on a new FS - short clip of them skating together in Dallas: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9pWYcmppW0/
"Rain in Your Black Eyes" (Music custom remake of Ezio Bosso's original with opera vocals and orchestra by Misha Ge): https://www.instagram.com/p/B9sU2PsplFg/

Amber is keeping her "Scars" SP, IIRC.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Happy 19th Birthday today, Starr Andrews!

She announced her SP music/theme last month: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAhDaXFJkUH/
... I will be portraying the role of not one, but two independent women superheroes for my short program this year: Black Canary and Harley Quinn. I’m skating to “It’s a Man’s Man’s World” and “Joke’s on You” from the movie, Birds of Prey.

NAOTMAA

losing to the russian girl for silver at junior worlds who didn't have a quad or a 3axel is a BIG problem. alysa needs a coach who can properly promote and politic for her. she's going against the eteri machine and I don't think lipetsky is up to it. the programs were OK but needed to be better and showcase alysa more.

She didn't lose silver to Usacheva because of superior Eteri/Russian promoting and politiking. If anything promoting and politiking likely got Liu higher marks then what she would have gotten otherwise (her PCS marks frankly shouldn't be anywhere near the Russian or Korean girls). She lost because a number of her money jumps got downgraded and the rest of her skating wasn't good enough to overcome it. Outside of the jumps Usacheva is better than Liu in all other areas. If the rest of her skating was better Liu would have won silver despite the downgrades (she lost silver by less then 3 points). It looks like Alysa knows that too and is making the necessary changes.

Marco

Nothing like working with an ice dancer and a choreographer as your coaches to show your true determination for improving your skating basics and presentation. I am all for it. She will have Gabby and Satoko to inspire her on the former and latter, respectively.

Hopefully Lee can help guide her through maintaining the harder jumps as she grew.

Alexa

Mirai had her second hip surgery two weeks. She is recovering and experiencing pain and all sort of difficulties
Part two of her 3 very emotional posts today is about the surgery

part 3

part 1 about Olympic day and her Olympic journey

Spun Silver

Thanks for letting us know about that, @Alexa. I hope sports medicine is advancing fast so Mirai and others can skate with much less pain.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
According to TSL, Alysa Liu has changed coaches and will now be under Massimo Scali. They said that, "signs point to working with Lee Barkell." Fans were speculating after Liu unfollowed Laura on Instagram but hopefully the split was amicable. Wishing Alysa the best of luck with this coaching change.

I'm not on IG or Twitter, so I don't totally understand those sites, but if it is like FB (which I'm on) I'd say it isn't amicable if Alysa unfriended her. I have many 'frenemies' on FB, so if I unfriended a coach that I have worked with almost my entire life, I'd think that is making a HUGE statement. A huge slap in the face to Laura, IMO.

VGThuy

Before we condemn Liu for this decision, we have to understand we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. I think we should hold off on judgments because you never know what's going on. I thought we'd be more aware to be more conscientious considering stories coming out from skaters.

feraina

Liu always said Lipetsky was like a mother to her — and she grew up without a mother. So I’d think this change is very traumatic for her. Maybe she unfollowed Lipetsky because it’s too painful to be separated. Lipetsky’s quote is consistent with this — the adults made the decision and she’s worried about how it’s affecting Alysa.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Liu always said Lipetsky was like a mother to her — and she grew up without a mother. So I’d think this change is very traumatic for her. Maybe she unfollowed Lipetsky because it’s too painful to be separated. Lipetsky’s quote is consistent with this — the adults made the decision and she’s worried about how it’s affecting Alysa.

Interesting take. I wonder how Linus would do without his blanket.

Skating at the elite level, with all the decision-making, money invested, and so much at stake, must really suck the fun out of the experience. Talk about turning this into a job.

I would hate to transfer the stress and expectations I experienced working at the middle management corporate level, and apply them to my fifteen year old self, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information