Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Gracie is listed in the International Selection Pool. She didn't qualify for a funding envelope but if she is assigned to an international (after Cranberry Cup?), she would be added to the Reserve Team envelope. BTW, Gracie was or still is in England (she recently showed up in Instagram stories of Mark Hanretty and a GBR junior ice dancer).
Gracie was also in Champéry, Switzerland (where Lambiel's group is based) - Iceland's Isold Fonn Vilhjalmsdottir recently shared a picture with her taken on the ice there (4th photo in her Instagram post - a screenshot has been tweeted here): https://twitter.com/teamchampery/status/1412475247585116170
I believe it was a camp with guest coach from the Cricket club, Ghislain Briand.

Olivier Brajon took some black & white photos of Mariah Bell skating on Courchevel ice about a week ago (#5 is a photo of Fedor Klimov with Cléo Hamon that snuck into the series ;)): https://www.instagram.com/p/CQx8_CuJx6H/

Last edited:

cmk

Unless something is going over my head based on past posts, @Frau Muller has been pushing for Starr to get a bunch of opportunities such as sending her to Nebelhorn to earn the third Olympics spot, in part to show inclusivity from the USFS.

But that's simply not how it's going to work if she's not the strongest candidate.

And ETA if it is a mock, then that's pretty :rolleyes: behavior.
The lady we send to Nebelhorn has to be able to do at least the 5 main triples. Is Starr attemping 3 lutzes yet? I would send Liu or Bell (she's won it 3 times I think) there.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Congrats to Pooja Kalyan who recently mentioned in an Instagram story that she has been admitted to Brown University. :)
This new Fan Zone article says Pooja will "major in public health and neuroscience at Brown University this upcoming school year" (AND plans to keep training/competing): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...alyan-enroll-in-the-olympics-of-academia.aspx
Excerpt:
Kalyan's interest in brain function was fostered by skating, as she likes to learn about how her mind plays a role in her athletic performance. Her academic pursuits, however, are more likely linked to her parents' encouragement. Her father is a sleep doctor, and she said his influence guided her in the classroom as well as benefitted her on the ice.
"It's always been hard being a student and an athlete because there are so many things I want to accomplish in 24 hours," Kalyan said. "But I found prioritizing eight to nine hours of sleep is really important for me so I feel completely rested and ready to be productive the next day." [...]
"Figure skating — and any sport, for that matter — teaches us so much about perseverance and drive," Kalyan said. "Injuries happen or coaches change, but there will always be an opportunity to make use of what's in front of you. Making use and enjoying every moment was the most valuable lesson skating has taught me."

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Bradie Tennell thrilled U.S. Figure Skating Championships will bring her to Bridgestone Arena​

natsulian

Based on the results of the Junior Cup, I would hand out two assignments to Isabeau Levito, Lindsay Thorngren, Clare Seo, Mia Kalin, Josephine Lee, and Kanon Smith. I would hand out one assignment each to Elsa Cheng and Adele Zheng.

I think that the federation should continue to hold a Junior Cup to determine Junior Grand Prix slots during the middle of summer. Not only was the event one of the most exciting summer competitions, it gave us a glimpse of potential future talent.

The junior women’s event was thoroughly pleasantly surprising. What a talented group of young women!

natsulian

Links to watch the junior women’s free skates:

1. Isabeau Levito- https://youtu.be/2iExuAbTox0
2. Mia Kalin - https://youtu.be/pA0lAe3ofho
3. Clare Seo - https://youtu.be/uZDF0RQV5Yc
4. Lindsay Thorngren - https://youtu.be/DpEIvvWZPZA
5. Josephine Lee - https://youtu.be/HKhvp7GgA1Y
6. Kanon Smith - https://youtu.be/u1dS6M5NIgk

The rest of the field including Maryn Pierce, Elsa Cheng, Ava Ziegler, Adele Zheng, and Violeta Ushakova is also on the same channel. The channel also has videos of Gabriella Izzo and Ting Cui’s performances.

layman

Ting Cui is back!

It's so wonderful to have her skating again (after she missed the past two seasons with 2 serious injuries). She has grown so much! She is reminding me of Mirai Nagasu and especially of Lu Chen (in 1998 when Lu Lu won her 2nd bronze at the Olympics).

Like Lu Lu early that comeback season, I see that Ting is starting to rotate way too late on her jumps. The delay is beautiful (to look at) but there is no way she can complete the rotation with that much of a delay. I hope that she can get the snap, rhythm and timing (to start the rotation quicker) back with more mileage on her programs.

It's just so wonderful to see her again. She makes simple moves, like the ina bauer in the middle of her long program look breathtaking! I would dearly love to see her make the Olympic team this season. She has too much talent not to be able to fulfill that dream. It may take her until Nationals for her to get the jumps back under control. If she places in the top 3 at Nationals (which I think she can) I hope that the USFSA don't pull a BOW argument on her to deny her a spot (like they did to Amber Glenn last season). Ting's whole career is her Body of Work. No one (in the world) skates the way she does.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Ting Cui is back!

It's so wonderful to have her skating again (after she missed the past two seasons with 2 serious injuries). She has grown so much! She is reminding me of Mirai Nagasu and especially of Lu Chen (in 1998 when Lu Lu won her 2nd bronze at the Olympics).

Like Lu Lu early that comeback season, I see that Ting is starting to rotate way too late on her jumps. The delay is beautiful (to look at) but there is no way she can complete the rotation with that much of a delay. I hope that she can get the snap, rhythm and timing (to start the rotation quicker) back with more mileage on her programs.

It's just so wonderful to see her again. She makes simples moves, like the ina bauer in the middle of her long program look breathtaking! I would dearly love to see her make the Olympic team this season. She has too much talent not to be able to fulfill that dream. It may take her until Nationals for her to get the jumps back under control. If she places in the top 3 at Nationals (which I think she can) I hope that USFSA don't pull a BOW argument on her to deny her a spot (like they did to Amber Glenn last season). Ting's whole career is her Body of Work. No one (in the world) skates the way she does.

I would get so mad at Amber for putting both her hands up above her head with falls and I would get so mad at Loena for putting both hands above her head with falls. And she does the same thing here. No need for that. Specially when you’re establishing yourself again. Would love to see the clean programs without those unnecessary arms.

I’ve been waiting to see her comeback too. Such a lovely skater

I’m never one to be able to determine but does she skate somewhat slow across the ice? I’m just trying to assess a top three finish at nationals a reality or not. Don’t want to set myself up for something that may seem like quite a challenge!

So much to like about her skating.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
At this point, Ting’s just skating for fun, right? We shouldn’t expect more. I selfishly wish that there’d be a modern equivalent of the John Curry balletic ice shows so that skaters like Ting would have a proper outlet to perform.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Right now, US figure skating is all about Junior Women. Wow. USA finally has a chance to make a dent on the Eteri Russian stranglehold in a couple of years time, if all stay fit & healthy. Maybe about in 2023-24 or so? Of course, Eteri & the Russians won’t stop their surprises coming up the ranks...

SkateFanBerlin

Right now, US figure skating is all about Junior Women. Wow. USA finally has a chance to make a dent on the Eteri Russian stranglehold in a couple of years time, if all stay fit & healthy. Maybe about in 2023-24 or so? Of course, Eteri & the Russians won’t stop their surprises coming up the ranks...
I wonder still if after the Olys they'll be rule changes. Inching the eligibility age up a bit? Will ISU big federations accept the "Eteri" situation as the new normal? I don't like it but I'm old and still wearing a Dorothy Hamil

Jammers

One thing the USFS needs to do is get a specialized coach for some of these Juniors because they really need to work on their skating skills, stroking and speed. Isabeau and Lindsay especially are slow and speed will be needed for when they have growth spurts such as Isabeau who also has suspect jump technique with the way she reached back for her jumps. But this is the best group of US Juniors ladies since maybe the days of Mirai,Caroline, Rachael and Ashley when US Junior ladies were dominating the world.

bladesofgorey

One thing the USFS needs to do is get a specialized coach for some of these Juniors because they really need to work on their skating skills, stroking and speed. Isabeau and Lindsay especially are slow and speed will be needed for when they have growth spurts such as Isabeau who also has suspect jump technique with the way she reached back for her jumps.
I've been on the ice a lot when Lindsay is running her programs and I wouldn't call her slow, but I guess she may skate slower when nervous- hard to say judging by the video.

Tahuu

One thing the USFS needs to do is get a specialized coach for some of these Juniors because they really need to work on their skating skills, stroking and speed. Isabeau and Lindsay especially are slow and speed will be needed for when they have growth spurts such as Isabeau who also has suspect jump technique with the way she reached back for her jumps. But this is the best group of US Juniors ladies since maybe the days of Mirai,Caroline, Rachael and Ashley when US Junior ladies were dominating the world.
That Nam-3A vibe. Not only for her jumps, Isabeau did the same bend-down to get power even for her spin entry. Not usfs but she, her family and coaches should realize it and try to make corrections.

Mia seems most promising of the junior ladies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I can't remember the last time the US had such depth in junior ladies women! Can't wait to see them compete on the JGP. 💪
Ummmm how can you be a junior woman? A woman is an adult, which of course, a junior is not. I think someone should have thought that through a little better.

bladesofgorey

Ummmm how can you be a junior woman? A woman is an adult, which of course, a junior is not. I think someone should have thought that through a little better.

Talk about oxymorons!
Yeah really lol that's why it's called Junior Boys, Novice Boys, etc. Oh wait....
edited to add: domestically in the US there is not an age restriction for Novice and above either, only for International competitions. All other semantics aside, you can compete as a full grown adult in the US at Junior level.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
To be fair, there are 'juniors' who are 18 or 19, or in the case of pairs, the men are sometimes even older.

It's been junior and novice men for how many years, and now junior women presents the problem? Maybe @AxelAnnie you'd prefer the disciplines to be called females and males?

ETA- Canada has been using this terminology since 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information