Status
Not open for further replies.

olympic

"Cover Girls" it is!

But there's plenty of room for originals too. :)
Cover Girls? The late 80s all girl group?

I always thought that in light of Adam Rippon's 2017/18 SP, the 2012 hit 'Let's have a Kiki' by the Scissor Sisters would be a fun, hi-energy program.

I also think some pop diva realness should be considered - Madonna medley, Lady Gaga medley, Janet Jackson medley, etc.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

I always thought that in light of Adam Rippon's 2017/18 SP, the 2012 hit 'Let's have a Kiki' by the Scissor Sisters would be a fun, hi-energy program.

I also think some pop diva realness should be considered - Madonna medley, Lady Gaga medley, Janet Jackson medley, etc.
What? Whitney Houston covers aren't enough?

We have had a fair amount of pop diva realness, now that I think about it... Celine, Shania, and Christina in recent seasons.

VGThuy

I don't think any of the current ladies can pull that off, except maybe Hannah Harrell.

skylark

Oooh, I like. I immediately thought of Amber Glenn doing a Janet Jackson medley: "Any Time, Any Place" ... "No Sleep" ... and "I Get Lonely," for starters.

Also, I now (just this second, reading this) am absolutely convinced that Gracie Gold should do a Madonna medley. It might take her out of herself. Not "Vogue," and not Evita, I think, but some medley.

ETA: but she'd have to go blonde again for Madonna, right? and I don't know that she'd want to.

olympic

^The Like a Prayer remix from the Blonde Ambition tour was pretty dramatic. I was thinking of that, although the Brit dance couple kinda went there. Rochette also did a version in 06. Express Yourself is vibrant.

For Janet Jackson, 'If' has a really heavy hook that draws everyone in - Give it a listen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTSd4vqnMwo

For Madonna, 'Jump' would go well with a sport requiring choreography and jumping. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7YHRKBeJe4

Last edited:

Willin

Amber skating to a medley of Lady Gaga including Marry the Night and Edge of Glory choreographed by Cordero Zuckerman would be iconic, but maybe not for an Olympic season.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I bet you secretly danced in your underwear lip-synching to "Open Your Heart" back in the day. ;)
Replace "Open Your Heart" with "Tell It to My Heart" by Taylor Dayne and you are not far from the truth. Like most women,I enjoy a classy,non-sexually charged bop.

I denounce Madonna for co-opting the Catholic faith to sell records and advance her career. Unforgivable.

So they should take artistic risks and try to work their way into the public consciousness that way.
Be careful what you wish for,my dear. Today's "artistic risks" to edgy music like Madonna may lead to short-term notoriety. However it is a slippery slope: before you know it our American ladies could very well receive a bouquet of prophylactics rather than flowers on the podium.

-BB

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Be careful what you wish for,my dear. Today's "artistic risks" to edgy music like Madonna may lead to short-term notoriety. However it is a slippery slope: before you know it our American ladies could very well receive a bouquet of prophylactics rather than flowers on the podium.

-BB

They would have to be on the podium for that to be an issue.

olympic

Replace "Open Your Heart" with "Tell It to My Heart" by Taylor Dayne and you are not far from the truth. Like most women,I enjoy a classy,non-sexually charged bop.

I denounce Madonna for co-opting the Catholic faith to sell records and advance her career. Unforgivable.

-BB
:yikes: :rolleyes::confused::rofl: God bless you. You make my day. I feel like a gay teen again, interacting with my church lady mom at home on any given night while she comments on my sister and I watching that durn MTV that is popular with the Gen X'ers nowadays. She actually called Madonna 'trash' too. ETA - Actually called her 'sleazebag'. The resemblance is uncanny ;), although if you look like your avatar, she wasn't quite as :glamor: as you ....

Willin

To be fair, though, in more musically open disciplines like synchro, pop music is very common. The Haydenettes skated to Lady Gaga, Woodkid, and Jay-Z/Rihanna. A Juv team won Nationals with a Beyonce medley. 10+ teams (including 3 at worlds) did Gatsby medleys in one season. I don't know if ladies will ever get that creative, especially with the Russian ladies becoming dominant with a coach/choreographer duo that loves them a warhorse, but at least the Russian skaters are branching out into some slower pop like Billie Eilish. The ISU is also trying to force the ice dancers to be less classical, so I could see pop being a less controversial choice than, say, 5-10 years ago when it wasn't even allowed.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Polina Edmunds' podcast episode this week is with Ting Cui:

ETA that at the time of this conversation, Ting mentioned she is working with Paul Wylie in Lake Placid, NY.

Last edited:

b-man

Polina Edmunds' podcast episode this week is with Ting Cui:

ETA that at the time of this conversation, Ting mentioned she is working with Paul Wylie in Lake Placid, NY.
Thanks Sylvia. Ting also mentioned She intends to compete in the fall, has all her triples back, but not yet consistently or in combination. She missed a lot of ice time with two ankle injuries.

mtnskater

I really enjoyed the interview with Ting. So glad she intends to compete in the fall. I sure hope she stays injury free. I didn’t know she had TWO serious foot/ankle injuries. She was one of my favorites....such a lovely and talented skater. Also love that she is temporarily training with Paul Wylie ❤️ in Lake Placid.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Ohhhhhhh a new thread?

Well shout out to my gals: Amber Glenn, Bradie Tennell and Alysa Liu!

Cover Girls? May I suggest RuPaul, “Cover Girl!” Highly addictive!! 🎀💅🏻

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
TSL recently uploaded all six episodes of the spring 2006 television documentary-series Ice Diaries, which follows four elite ladies skaters, in the run-up to Nationals (and selection of the Olympic team)...Alyssa Czisny and BeBe Liang among those followed. It was the first US Nationals using the IJS scoring system.

Wow - I had forgotten how USFS was so determined to get Czisny onto the team that they held her up in 5th place in the SPs despite falling on two of her jumps. I mean - a lovely skater with gorgeous spins and spirals but...WTH??? On the other hand, Liang totally deserved her 3rd place after a picture-perfect SP. (Cohen & Meissner were 1-2...Kwan was out injured.) Unfortunately, both Liang and Czisny dropped in the standings after the free skates.

Fascinating trip down memory lane. Highly recommended, on TSL’s YouTube channel.

Link to last episode, which covers ‘06 Nationals:

Last edited:

Marco

Wow - I had forgotten how USFS was so determined to get Czisny onto the team that they held her up in 5th place in the SPs despite falling on two of her jumps. I mean - a lovely skater with gorgeous spins and spirals but...WTH???
She was 2nd at Skate America and 1st at Skate Canada that season, and made GPF (but bombed). Heading into Nationals, if Sasha and Michelle had the first 2 tickets locked, that last ticket would be between Kimmie and Alissa, with Emily a notch below. Kimmie didn't do so well at her GPs and the 3axel talk had subsided, so Alissa really had the momentum. Alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information