Status
Not open for further replies.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't think he is saying "you will not skate now, and will return next season". He is not addressing "now", he is only address next season, that he expects her by then to fully return to norm.
This was my impression, too, that he meant that if she stayed on her current path, regardless of what happens at Nationals, she'll be back at her best next season.

clairecloutier

Mirai Nagasu said on Twitter that, as expected, she won't compete at Nationals.

She also linked to an Instagram post in which she reveals that she tore her labrum and fractured her hip socket back in 2016 while learning the triple axel. She decided not to have surgery and instead kept competing while pursuing an alternative therapy (PRP). There is a picture of her in a hospital bed, suggesting she had surgery sometime since the Olympics.

https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu/status/1081627914834042880?s=19

:eek:

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
Hi Annie - it's just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions....
I do agree with your response anyway.

UM.....You do know you have made this up out of whole cloth?

Lower difficulty in content in no way guarantees a more artistic performance. Michelle Kwan, btw, was considered to be a jumping bean when she came on the scene. Artistry came later. Many skaters have to develop the artistic side of their skating as they grow.....in large measure because they become more mature.

As to dropping skaters for a more artistic skater....I don't think so. US is starved for competitors who can technically lay it down when it counts.

Nothing like revisionist history.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from Bradie's fan thread: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/1082734256386920448
Media call [Jan. 8]: @bradie_tennell says she's feeling good heading into the U.S. Championships, with no major changes to training or programs: "I'm really just cranking away on my programs & the daily grind." Elements will be same as Golden Spin: triple Lutz-triple loop in FS only.
IFS' article: https://www.ifsmagazine.com/bradie-tennell-chasing-second-u-s-title/

Vincent Restencourt's IG practice clip of Gracie landing 3Lo ("Gracie and I know she is so far from where we want to and that the jumps aren’t perfect. ... Gracie and I decided to share more videos and updates from her training, both on and off the ice probably every Wednesday"): https://www.instagram.com/p/BsbPvQ0nEsB/

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I would love to see Gracie attempt less difficult jump content at Nationals. Attempting 3Lz+3T and 3F in the SP at Rostelecom really seemed like it was setting her up to fail. If someone can explain the strategy there, I'd love to hear it, because it made absolutely no sense to me.

She has so many great qualities, with gorgeous basics. Why not go the Kostner route and only attempt toes, salchows, and loops like she did back in 2011? This would allow her to focus on the performance, reduce the stress, and allow her to get used to competing again, and set a positive trajectory heading into next season.

mag

I am both sad and happy that Gracie has withdrawn. I don’t understand the strategy (if there even was one) for this season. Using up her one time comeback spot really wasn’t a smart move. It seems to me that getting back to training and doing local comps without worrying about going to Nationals would have been a smarter strategy. Use this season to set Gracie up for success next season.

Sylvia

TBD
There's no shame in competing at Regionals and/or Sectionals. :) In order to qualify for the ISP next season, Gracie (Karen too) will need to compete in the spring/summer and probably attain a total score that will be set by USFS. Hopefully both will compete more rather than less in preparation for 2018-19-20.

Last edited:

toddlj

There's no shame in competing at Regionals and/or Sectionals. :) In order to qualify for the ISP next season, Gracie (Karen too) will need to compete in the spring/summer and probably attain a total score that will be set by USFS. Hopefully both will compete more rather than less in preparation for 2018-19.
Maybe that will raise attendance at those events!

Debbie S

I hope Gracie will compete at the Liberty/Philly comp this summer. It's at her home rink. :)

Gracie and Karen could receive byes through Regionals if they receive an int'l assignment next fall. A bye through Sectionals would occur if either gets an assignment that conflicts (i.e. within a week) with Sectionals....there are some Challengers held in that time frame, so it's a possibility.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
There's no shame in competing at Regionals and/or Sectionals. :) In order to qualify for the ISP next season, Gracie (Karen too) will need to compete in the spring/summer and probably attain a total score that will be set by USFS. Hopefully both will compete more rather than less in preparation for 2018-19-20.

who said anything about shame? Asking a question of how the process works.......

no need to search for shadiness when it comes to ANL.

Frida80

Next season then I am assuming she will have to do sectionals/regionals?

Only thing she could get is a possible TBD SkAm if she is doing good by August?

If Gracie does well in summer comps, she'll get a few CS competitions. If she does well in the first, they'll schedule her second so it conflicts with Sectionald giving her a bye to nationals.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ Thanks, so I guess its key that she gets placed in a funded envelope and gets assigned then to a B? I wonder what the criteria is in her case to be placed in the C or Reserve Envelope.

Debbie S

^^^ Thanks, so I guess its key that she gets placed in a funded envelope and gets assigned then to a B? I wonder what the criteria is in her case to be placed in the C or Reserve Envelope.
The criteria are published on the USFS website, somewhere, but they are based on comp placements the previous season. So Gracie won't qualify for a funding envelope, but that is separate from the ISP. If she performs well at summer comps, she would likely be placed in the ISP and be eligible for assignments, so she would be in the Reserve envelope. I don't believe there is funding for Reserve, but I think if a Reserve skater gets assigned and medals, they are placed in Envelope C and receive that level of funding for the season. Envelope 'levels' have separate criteria from assignments.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
If Gracie does well in summer comps, she'll get a few CS competitions. If she does well in the first, they'll schedule her second so it conflicts with Sectionald giving her a bye to nationals.

This is good. So she’ll have to do well at a summer comp before she can go to an Intl Challenger. Nobody wants to see a repeat of Rostelecom 2018...going into an Intl comp - Challenger or GP series - unproven. Definitely, go to Liberty or similar summer event.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Without Ashley and Gracie and Karen and Mirai, nationals is going to feel very weird. I know, I know, don't dwell on the past, normal post-Olympic year, embrace change, blah blah blah. I know all the boilerplate responses. ;) But a little bit of me will be sad, and I make no apologies for that.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Ashley May regret not going to Nationals this year...

Hmmm... not so sure. Between the inevitable “Welcome, Alysa Liu” hype and a strong Bradie (if she skates to her potential, with new elegant style), Ashley might still be looking at a bronze medal, at best. Throw in the potential new-and-improved Mariah Bell (with those fab programs & secure jumps), Ashley could realistically end up with yet another pewter medal.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Re the UR calls, Bradie says:
“I have been working on my technique to jump higher. These things happen and obviously you don’t want to get those calls but all you can do is take the lesson learned and move on.”

And a fan on Youtube observes:
"Judges were a bit harsh on the underrotations here. The 3S was definitely < and the 2Lo on the combo looked 1/2 a turn pre-rotated. But the second 3Lz and 3F looked fine to me on x.25 speed as far as rotation, though the second 3Lz should have been given a ! call."

Both Bradie and Mariah performed well at Golden Spin. Congrats and good luck to them at U.S. Nationals!

olympic

Nationals this year is going to be the first time in many years, dating back to Kwan-Cohen, where the pecking order is pretty set: There are only 3 ladies with a realistic shot at Worlds. That eliminates some of the whiplash and excitement from the last decade, though. OTOH, it might allow the top ladies some breathing space and concentration on their programs, maybe just maybe leading to great performances.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I really do love her attitude.

This part is even more cool:
"When asked about the junior Russian ladies landing quads and sweeping the senior podium at nationals, Tennell said she found it impressive 'that they can do quads at such an early age, but I don’t really have an opinion on it.'"

Bradie 'Tungsten' Tennell! :respec: :kickass:

There are only 3 ladies with a realistic shot at Worlds.

Names please? Only two U.S. ladies can go to Worlds, and Alysa Liu can't go even if she somehow reaches top of podium. I'd love to see Liu podium, but please not prematurely win because she can land 3-axels. Liu still has a long way to go and a lot to learn, no matter how talented she is.

If Bradie and Mariah perform well, they might be 1 and 2, but in figure skating, it's best not to put the cart in front of the horse. ;) #It'sNotOverTillIt'sOver

ETA: Ting Cui is 16, so she's age eligible. Courtney Hicks has the talent, but will she rise to the plate podium? Amber Glenn has the talent, but will it finally be her moment to shine? Megan Wessenberg is impressive and seemingly fairly consistent. It's a competition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information