Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolla5501

I mean, it's one thing to name a training program, method, curriculum, etc. after the person that developed it, but it's a WHOLE thing thing to name a freakin' club after yourselves. Remember, every time one of the skaters from this club competes in the U.S., it's announced what club they represent.

It’s called advertising.
These 2 have never seemed shy and retiring.

However I thought Mitchell said he was quitting in a huff last year. Hmm.......

Frida80

Just posted....Ting assigned to 4CC with Bradie and Mariah. Ting, Hanna, Starr, Emmy, and Gabby Izzo and Audrey Shin invited to JW training camp, where team selections will be made from now on.

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...r-continents-teams-and-world-junior-camp.aspx

I do no like the idea of a private camp choosing JW team at all. I imagine a lot of skaters will skate better in private, but truly it's all about competition and who can handle it. Make it a competition too.

Bonjour Sherry

I’d rather see Wessenberg at some senior internationals. The “Method” seems to provide nice presentation, but not the higher technical content. Skaters like Wessenberd and Ma have nice qualities but skaters like Cui, and when age eligible, Harrell have more of a competitive advantage, so IMO that is where the focus should be. Plus Cui beat Wessenberg here so Megan being mentioned for 4cc is kind of :confused:

I wonder why the coaches don't have Megan doing a 3toe-3toe in the long program. She does a beautiful one in the short, and I'm willing to believe she can pull off a 7-triple layout in the long as she has such good foundations. I think Megan is a solid top ten skater in the World if she can up the difficulty a bit and get her consistency down, so I want to see her get more GP events next season to build her cred.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I do no like the idea of a private camp choosing JW team at all. I imagine a lot of skaters will skate better in private, but truly it's all about competition and who can handle it. Make it a competition too.

You mean by opening it to the public?

I'm sure they'll be competing with each other at the camp.

Bonjour Sherry

Hannah Harrell is the immediate future among the younger US Ladies...to me, a much more total package than the gangly loosely-goosey Cui...and Hannah is the most solidly reliable. Hannah will be Sr eligible this coming season...turns 16 this coming September. Yeah!
Some bio info:
https://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?66105-Hanna-Harrell

But Hanna did not do well on the Junior Grand Prix, historically she is just as much of a headcase as many of the other American ladies..

I wonder why not just send Cui and Harrell to JW and that's it? I know they aren't the most consistent, but even Izzo's PB this season didn't reach 160. Cui/Harrell is still way more reliable than Cui/Ma from last season.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I wonder why the coaches don't have Megan doing a 3toe-3toe in the long program. She does a beautiful one in the short, and I'm willing to believe she can pull off a 7-triple layout in the long as she has such good foundations. I think Megan is a solid top ten skater in the World if she can up the difficulty a bit and get her consistency down, so I want to see her get more GP events next season to build her cred.

If I'm not mistaken, her FS layout had 2a3t as her 2nd combination, followed by 3t.

It looked to me that when she doubled her 3t in the 2a3t combination, she was going for 3t3t. But she only managed a 3toe.

She was tight throughout both warmups and seems to be having issues with her jumps. Given that, it's remarkable how well she competed. She practiced her Rippon 3z repeatedly with increasingly bad results, but made it happen in the FS.

gkelly

In the 1990s when Jr. Worlds was in December, so last year's Nationals results were out of date, sometimes USFS used the Olympic Festival competition, in years when it was held, to determine the Jr. World team. Then they had a selection competition at a local rink. Open to the public, but not a big deal.

Last edited:

Stephanie

But Hanna did not do well on the Junior Grand Prix, historically she is just as much of a headcase as many of the other American ladies..

I wonder why not just send Cui and Harrell to JW and that's it? I know they aren't the most consistent, but even Izzo's PB this season didn't reach 160. Cui/Harrell is still way more reliable than Cui/Ma from last season.

Hanna was coming back from an injury at the time of her JGP.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
They could do that with this selection camp...let local skaters in and maybe air it on GOLD or some equivalent.

I know USA Gymnastics is rightly in the dog house, but there were some positive aspects to their selection camps. Letting in youth gymnasts to watch their mini-competitions was one of them.

Debbie S

There is a simulated comp at the camp. Skaters compete both programs in a comp format, with judges and tech officials present.

gkelly

They could do that with this selection camp...let local skaters in and maybe air it on GOLD or some equivalent.

What do you mean by "let local skaters in"? Let them watch (and volunteer)? Or let them compete, even if there's no one local at the same skill level?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
@gkelly let them into watch the "demonstrate your program" phase, assuming they have one, so that it has more of a competition feel for the skaters invited to the camp.

gkelly

I am really baffled why someone can be allowed to compete nationally as a senior when they are not allowed to compete internationally as a junior :confused::confused: Makes no sense to me

Skaters are also allowed to compete novice in the US when they're too old for junior international.

So what? There's more to US competitions than just choosing international teams.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I am on West Coast so I took most day off from here on Friday to watch Live.

After watching Nats... this is how I feel.

Of the relative newbies.... Alyssa, Ting and Hannah H I think I might say now I am most exited for Ting by a fraction. Her physique and artistry are so exquisite. She has the consistency issue atm but when she hits it is a showstopper. I like Alyssa a lot too. I feel the most confident with Alyssa and Bradie's jumps (even tho Bradie had a fall. ) Say like with Ash and Mirai sometimes I usually had to look away when they did a jump.

This was Bradie's time to defend...and not a bad job. She won the SP convincingly. Her Romeo & Juliet vehicle tho is not as dynamic as the SP. I do like that she didnt take her Romeo & Juliet program cutesy or princessy. Looking at the protocols had she not had the fall she'd be Champion. Or had she not had 3 loop issue she would be Champion.

Now that Alyssa will head to 14 and 15 and she will become a "defender" I will be curious to see how she handles pressure.

Because when Mirai and Bradie first won they didn't have much pressure. Cut to year 2 and Mirai was in major tears to even take the ice and Bradie did start to have a wobble or two.

Now, I have heard of Hannah Harrel but I had not seen her skate much before... why is that? Had she been injured? I dont remember much of her from Junior circuit but like I said I was familiar with her to a small extent.

Megan speed is the MOST impressive. It seems Starr placed right behind her and one comparison between the two of them is that Megan has SO MUCH SPEED and power and flow going in and out of her jumps where Starr seems to land a jump and there is nothing left in the tank for flow out. Megan's skating skills to me are very evident.

I think I have to keep Amber as a sentimental favorite because still have not seen 2 cleans from her.... sigh...... I would love for her to keep her Gravity SP next season but ditch the Gaga Bang Bang piece.

OK, up and onward!!!

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I don't either. But gymnastics has it. Maybe its what needs to be done to keep up with the rest of the World... its all taking place at the junior level these days.......

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Why didn't anyone over-hype Hanna Harrell coming into Nationals? She totally shocked me with her 3lutz/3toe that got near unanimous +5 GoE from the judges! Those jumps are omg huge and never in danger of getting UR from even Shin Amano.

I just posted something similar. Why I really hadn't heard of her that much before now....

NAOTMAA

I don't either. But gymnastics has it. Maybe its what needs to be done to keep up with the rest of the World... its all taking place at the junior level these days.......

Considering what's happening to USA gymnastics at the moment I'm not sure there is an rush from the USFSA to try and emulate that process :shuffle:

Z

ZilphaK

But Hanna did not do well on the Junior Grand Prix, historically she is just as much of a headcase as many of the other American ladies

I'd just like to interject that, while 15 may be "old" in skater years in Russia, 15 is still 15 (almost 16), and the word "historically" leans a bit into hyperbole when we're talking about someone who is smack-dab in the middle of creating her history. And "headcase" is not something we should be calling 15 year old children on an open message board. Or anywhere, really.

Willin

I think my big takeaway is that there's a lot of really great young talent coming up right now: Alysa, Starr, Ting, Hannah, Emmy, Pooja, and all the Junior/Novice/Intermediate/Juvenile ladies. I'm really excited for the future of US Ladies, even if the present for them seems a bit dire. Even for the "older" up-and-coming skaters I'm excited to see Amber and Megan continue to get better.

natsulian

Hanna’s found her consistency this season after the injury. She had the highest total score of all the Junior ladies during the summer, placed second at Sectionals, and placed Pewter at Nationals.

While Ting may suffer from inconsistencies, it’s really only centered around the 3Lz-3T combo which gets to her head. Plus, she’s very ambitious with the rippon on all her jumps which just adds to the difficulty. Additionally, she finally had a clean Long Program.

We don’t have any other Junior skaters capable of scoring in the 180 to above 200 range apart from Pooja, but international judges do not want to give her the PCS she deserves. If the U.S.F.S. is smart, they will send Ting and Hanna because they’re our only hope of getting back 3 spots for Junior Worlds and 14 for the Junior Grand Prix.

We still haven’t seen how high a clean Ting will score internationally. If a Ting Cui with bobbles and falls on her combos can score nearly 200 internationally, one can only imagine how high the judges will push her.

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
In addition to Jozet's great point, I also find it especially obnoxious when a poster takes one event when a skater was newly recovering from an injury as evidence of inconsistency. I know that Hanna didn't do any other internationals this year but I am not buying your fake news about her being inconsistent in her current state. And may I remind that until she won juniors, Gracie was a bit of a nervy "headcase" as well, and then suddenly she wasn't, at least for a few seasons...

VGThuy

I just want to see Ting skate clean competitions from here on out. I think if she can do that, she'll be giving us some excellent performances from now to 2022 and providing respectable results internationally. She really does have good fundamentals to build from.

natsulian

In addition to Jozet's great point, I also find it especially obnoxious when a poster takes one event when a skater was newly recovering from an injury as evidence of inconsistency. I know that Hanna didn't do any other internationals this year but I am not buying your fake news about her being inconsistent in her current state. And may I remind that until she won juniors, Gracie was a bit of a nervy "headcase" as well, and then suddenly she wasn't, at least for a few seasons...
I agree. The only inconsistency about Hanna, though, is that she doesn’t always land her jumps. The rippon really throws a skater off, and her coaches advised her against it, but she kept on doing it anyway. She also wants to debut a 3A next season... and Ting MIGHT have a Quad in the wings... insane.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Does anyone know why Pooja withdrew? How will this impact her for next year's team envelopes?

natsulian

Does anyone know why Pooja withdrew? How will this impact her for next year's team envelopes?
Pooja had an injury. Hopefully there’s still a fire burning within her, she’s not had the season she was hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information