Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximillian

RIP TA
What I am getting from Gold's return, is that her 'personal best' is all about skating for pride, and learning to love the sport again. It's so nice to see her again.

As someone who left a field that was high pressure because of personal issues similar (but not the same) to Gracie's as well as uncertainty as to why I was doing it (i.e. am I doing this because I love it or because of other reasons) and then slowly returning to it at a more shall we say 'recreational' level, it is really important part of the process of returning to figure out if you do actually love it. When success comes quickly (as it did for Gracie) and then things don't work out as planned and all these other variables have entered the equation that have nothing to do with 'doing the thing' itself but are part of the baggage of being 'successful' or on the road to success, it becomes really confusing as to why you're doing what you're doing. After you leave (in my case and I assume for Gracie, too) and you realize that there are other options out there and you don't HAVE to do what you're doing, figuring out if you love it becomes really important, because you no longer feel that this is something you HAVE to do.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but as someone who really likes Gracie, I have no issue with where she's at and also am totally okay if she realizes she doesn't love skating and wants to get on with her life. But similarly she might find that she loves skating but doesn't need to be number one. I'm impressed that she's come this far and was pleased with her skate. Love that lutz!

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

As someone who left a field that was high pressure because of personal issues similar (but not the same) to Gracie's as well as uncertainty as to why I was doing it (i.e. am I doing this because I love it or because of other reasons) and then slowly returning to it at a more shall we say 'recreational' level, it is really important part of the process of returning to figure out if you do actually love it. When success comes quickly (as it did for Gracie) and then things don't work out as planned and all these other variables have entered the equation that have nothing to do with 'doing the thing' itself but are part of the baggage of being 'successful' or on the road to success, it becomes really confusing as to why you're doing what your doing. After you leave (in my case and I assume for Gracie, too) and you realize that there are other options out there and you don't HAVE to do what you're doing, figuring out if you love it becomes really important, because you no longer feel that this is something you HAVE to do.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but as someone who really likes Gracie, I have no issue with where she's at and also am totally okay if she realizes she doesn't love skating and wants to get on with her life. But similarly she might find that she loves skating but doesn't need to be number one. I'm impressed that she's come this far and was pleased with her skate. Love that lutz!

What you have written makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing your powerful story.

I forced myself to watch TSL's take on her skate at Regionals, and as expected, it was all speculative w*nking. Dave Lease's smug self-importance made me quite ill, and I had to switch off in the end.

Anyway, I'm happy that Gold seems to be skating again on her terms, and that she is in charge of the decision making, too. She seems to have a lot of supporters who are on her side, regardless of how she approaches this journey from here.

It is a shame figure skating is structured in such a way that to become well known, intense competition is the only way to achieve fame. Back in the day John Curry knew he would have to win the Olympic Games, to create his own vision.

Quads, quads and more quads are nice. But sometimes, I miss skating simply for art's sake.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I noticed Bradie's SP music has been updated in her Team USA profile: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=163
“Chronos/Mechanisms” by Kirill Richter (a Russian Neoclassical composer and pianist):
Benoit Richaud choreographed both of her programs again this season.

ohhhhh this music is dope!! so original..

Totally for Bradie.

Like last year she has interesting SP music that suits her...

Maybe they want to show diversity with her because last year / this year they go down the route of R&J and Cinema Paradise for her free.

Her SP music choices are always so her!!!!

Joubabe

What you have written makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing your powerful story.

I forced myself to watch TSL's take on her skate at Regionals, and as expected, it was all speculative w*nking. Dave Lease's smug self-importance made me quite ill, and I had to switch off in the end.

Anyway, I'm happy that Gold seems to be skating again on her terms, and that she is in charge of the decision making, too. She seems to have a lot of supporters who are on her side, regardless of how she approaches this journey from here.

It is a shame figure skating is structured in such a way that to become well known, intense competition is the only way to achieve fame. Back in the day John Curry knew he would have to win the Olympic Games, to create his own vision.

Quads, quads and more quads are nice. But sometimes, I miss skating simply for art's sake.

What exactly about Dave Lease's comments on Gracie offended you? I'm a huge fan of Gracie so it was uncomfortable listening to his analysis, but I can't say that it wasn't accurate. What I took away from his analysis is that Gracie is very talented, but she didn't do run-throughs of her programs before Regionals and therefore wasn't in the competitive form we hoped she would be in for this event. He blamed her coach and said that she needed a new one. I know very little about her coach, so I can't argue with what he said, but even so I don't see where his comments are hugely offensive.

wickedwitch

What exactly about Dave Lease's comments on Gracie offended you? I'm a huge fan of Gracie so it was uncomfortable listening to his analysis, but I can't say that it wasn't accurate. What I took away from his analysis is that Gracie is very talented, but she didn't do run-throughs of her programs before Regionals and therefore wasn't in the competitive form we hoped she would be in for this event. He blamed her coach and said that she needed a new one. I know very little about her coach, so I can't argue with what he said, but even so I don't see where his comments are hugely offensive.
This part seems preposterous.

I'm don't want to imply that Dave is lying, but maybe something got lost in translation, like she wasn't doing as many run throughs.

RoseRed

This part seems preposterous.

I'm don't want to imply that Dave is lying, but maybe something got lost in translation, like she wasn't doing as many run throughs.
I think he said that it seemed like (or he'd heard, can't remember which) she might not have done (almost) any full run throughs of the FS with all the jumps in.

Carolla5501

I’m pretty sure Dave just makes up facts to support whatever trash he wants to say.

And sorry but as long as fans support trashy David and his gossip it’s relevant to the topic at hand. People are relying on his gossip to influence how they feel about a skater

aftershocks

Banned Member
I’m pretty sure Dave just makes up facts to support whatever trash he wants to say.

And sorry but as long as fans support trashy David and his gossip it’s relevant to the topic at hand. People are relying on his gossip to influence how they feel about a skater

Hmmm, I will take this to TSL thread, as advised... ;)

Marco

I am :( over Ting Cui's withdrawal from Finlandia. Is this an injury?

Hope she recovers soon - I absolutely adore her skating and wish her all the best for the rest of the season.

kwanatic

ohhhhh this music is dope!! so original..

This. I really like this music. Very different from what a lot of people are choosing to skate to and that should help her stand out. I'm interested to see what kind of choreo they've come up with...

I appreciate the fact they're going for a different feel in the FS but I still wish they wouldn't have gone the generic pretty route. The program is nice but it just doesn't stand out enough. I guess we'll have to see how it holds up in competition.

Love the SP choice though!

clairecloutier

Just saw that Ting Cui has withdrawn from her Grand Prix events. :(

She injured herself doing off-ice jumps. She says it's not a fracture though.

kwanatic

I'm starting to get Polina Tsurskaya vibes from Ting :(. She's a bit injury prone... Polina struggled with health and injuries for basically all of her senior career and ultimately retired before she ever got going. She was a fabulous jumper a la Ting as well.

I'm really sad to hear this. I was really looking forward to seeing her programs on the GP. Both looked absolutely beautiful. I hope she can recover in time for nationals.

Get well soon!

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Ting :wuzrobbed

I was very much looking forward to seeing how she would stack up on the Grand Prix, after breaking through last season.

Let’s hope she is good to go for nationals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information