Status
Not open for further replies.

BittyBug

Disgusted
People, please - unless Dave and/or Jonathan have had gender reassignment surgery AND have substantially improved their skating, they do not belong in the U.S. Ladies thread. Have at it in the TSL thread in the Trash Can, but please leave this thread for a discussion of U.S. Ladies.

Debbie S

Thank you, do you know where to get tickets? Will it be on USFS site when they are available?
Tickets for Sectionals (and Regionals) are usually just sold on-site at the registration desk in the rink lobby. Tickets for South Atlantics were $15/day (and there is probably an all-event price) and they did take credit cards, but I would bring cash to be safe. The host club may post the prices on their website, or you could email them as Sylvia suggested.

Vagabond

I don't think Fair use would be applicable since they're making money off it...
Making money isn't one of the criteria for determining the applicability of the fair use doctrine.

As mentioned in the Wikipedia article to which I linked, "Examples of fair use in United States copyright law include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, and scholarship. Fair use provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor test." Most news reporting, for example, operates on a for-profit basis.

What TSL does, for the most part, is commentary, criticism, and news reporting.

acraven

First-time attendees of events at training facilities would be well advised to dress in layers. Many layers. It is likely to be very cold.

Tinami Amori

Sorry for dashing your hopes. But unlike so many here, I don’t think think TSL is trash.
The problem with TSL is that they present on a lot of their subjectivity and bias (which is often affected by how much time skaters and coaches give them and flatter their egos) as "objective analysis of figure skating".

Teamgracie

Tickets for Sectionals (and Regionals) are usually just sold on-site at the registration desk in the rink lobby. Tickets for South Atlantics were $15/day (and there is probably an all-event price) and they did take credit cards, but I would bring cash to be safe. The host club may post the prices on their website, or you could email them as Sylvia suggested.
Thank you, I hope I can get in if it’s crowded. I’ll go early. I did send an email to the club also. I appreciate the info!

Debbie S

Thank you, I hope I can get in if it’s crowded. I’ll go early. I did send an email to the club also. I appreciate the info!
You're welcome, enjoy! As long as the rink has a fair amount of bleacher seating, you should be fine. If Senior Ladies at Souths was held in the other rink, there would have been plenty of seating for everyone. The rink it was in has 2 rows of bleachers along one wall with a bench/ledge as the 'third' row.

mtnskater

Bradie at the Japan Open...wow, what an improvement in artistry, especially use of her arms. I love this program. I’m not sure I would have said I loved a Bradie program before. Now to get the jumps solid and rotated. Shallow note: her packaging was beautifully done. Love the costume and the lavender color on her. Makeup was great. Liked her hair too. Usually it bugs me but not so much this time. So nice to see the whole package coming together for her.

Rock2

You mean calling Starr Andrews a novelty act? Things like that?

That to me was a pretty benign comment, so no. They've said more pointed stuff IMHO.

(If you'd like to rehash the narrative about that being a racist comment, I'm happy to have that debate but this wouldn't be the thread for it)

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Alysa Liu 214 Broadmoor (208.10 @ JGP)
Mariah Bell (204 Nebelhorn)
M Amber Glenn (186.28 @ US Intl) 170 Skate Detroit
Karen Chen 182 Philadelphia (173.66 @ Autumn Classic)
Hanna Harrell 182 Cannon Texas (160.50 @ JGP)
Starr Andrews (181.18 @ Lombardia) 150 LA Open
E Audrey Shin 180 Golden West (143.29 @ JGP)
E Emily Zhang 178 South Atlantic Regionals
Ting Cui (177.47 @ US Intl)
Gabriella Izzo 169 Lake Placid (160.94 @ JGP)
E Rena Ikenishi 164 Moran Memorial
M Pooja Kalyan 164 Greater Chicagoland
E Sarah Jung 162 Philadelphia
E Jill Heiner 158 South Atlantic Regionals
P Alex Evans 156 Pasadena Open
M Alyssa Rich 151 Broadmoor (SP&QFS)
E Heidi Munger 149 Collegiate
M Paige Rydberg 149 Southwest Florida Fall Classic
P Emilia Murdock 146 Glacier Falls (148.95 @ JGP)
E Julia Biechler 146 Wilmington
M Maxine Marie Bautista 146 Greater Chicagoland
M Stephanie Ciarochi 146 Skate Houston
P Caitlin Ha 145 Glacier Falls
P Sierra Venetta 145 Skate San Francisco
P Lily Sun 144 Skate St Moritz
M Akane Eguchi 142 Skate Detroit
E Megan Wessenberg 142 Glacier Falls (135.72 @ Lombardia)
P Brynne McIsaac 141 Broadmoor
P Akari Nakahara 140 LA Open
E Gracie Gold 135 South Atlantic Regionals
E Cailey Weaver 131 South Atlantic Regionals

Bold- scored over 150

Current East ranking- Shin, Zhang, Ikenishi, Jung, Heiner, Munger, Biechler, Wessenberg, Gold, Weaver

Current Mids ranking- Glenn (might get bye to Nationals?), Kalyan, Rich, Rydberg, Bautista, Ciarochi, Eguchi

Current Pacs ranking- Evans, Murdock, Ha, Venetta, Sun, McIsaac, Nakahara

FYI the min total TES score (for this season) of 75 for senior ladies was reached by all ladies at Nationals who scored over 150...so that gives you an idea of about where the cutoff is...

Last edited:

olympic

I had a chance to watch Bradie and she changed course from last season. She is skating to softer, lyrical music and does a good job of managing lighter, extended body positions, something she was criticized by some for not doing last year. She made 2 major mistakes but I am not bothered. A pop on the loop to a single and a fall on the 2nd 3-3 (was it UR?) took away a lot of points. Clean might have put her ahead of Satoko. It was her 1st competition after her injury (?) and she was laid up for a while. Hope to see her better on the GP

wickedwitch

Does anyone know why Gracie didn't compete before this? I think getting back into the competitive mindset and getting used to competition nerves and adrenaline would have helped.

But regardless, she's improved loads since last fall. I hope she's enjoying training and is proud of what she accomplished.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
She probably wasn't ready. It's a long road back if you are taking the healthy route.

Honestly, it might be best if she doesn't hit the minimum qualifying mark this year. If she continues to improve, it would be better to show up at Nationals in 2021, competitive for the final group vs barely qualifying for 2020 and just getting through it.

Sometimes we the fans are spoiled with legions of stick figures ripping off triples left and right, even when they are "not very good." I know I forget how freaking hard a long program is.

Spun Silver

She probably wasn't ready. It's a long road back if you are taking the healthy route.

Honestly, it might be best if she doesn't hit the minimum qualifying mark this year. If she continues to improve, it would be better to show up at Nationals in 2021, competitive for the final group vs barely qualifying for 2020 and just getting through it.

Sometimes we the fans are spoiled with legions of stick figures ripping off triples left and right, even when they are "not very good." I know I forget how freaking hard a long program is.
I know what you mean, but she has to get used to competing under pressure sometime.

Spun Silver

Right, but she needs 7 jumping passes first.
Maybe she has them in practice but not yet in competition? I'd like to think she was close enough to want to compete them now (and didn't just show up because she had to in order to get to Nats).

layman

Maybe she has them in practice but not yet in competition? I'd like to think she was close enough to want to compete them now (and didn't just show up because she had to in order to get to Nats).
Is she even doing full run throughs yet? Vincent has posted a lot of footage of Gracie attempting individual jumps or jump combinations but I have never seen any footage of a full run through of a program.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
JUNIOR LADIES (and novice)

Kate Wang 177 P Skate San Francisco (164.59 @ JGP)
Isabeau Levito 176 E Mid Atlantics (novice)
Lindsay Thorngren 173 E Mid Atlantics (158.09 @ JGP)
Isabelle Inthisone (167 @ JGP) 144 M Southport
Jessica Lin 164 M Broadmoor (148.35 @ JGP)
Ellen Slavicek 163 P Glacier Falls
Elsa Cheng 158 M NQS Milwaukee (novice)
Alena Budko 159 P NWP Regionals
Gwen Bloesch 154 P Mid Atlantics (novice)
Calista Choi 153 M SLC Jr Challenge (148.19 @ JGP)
Finley Hawk 151 M Southport
Emma Coppess 149 P LA Open
Mia Kalin, 149 P Skate St Moritz
Audrey Meredith 149 M Detroit (novice)
Noelle Rosa 146 P Broadmoor
Emilea Zingas 144 M EGL Regionals
Indi Cha 141 E Colonial
Allison Zheng 140 P Skate St Moritz
Hannah Herrera 140 P Oktoberfest (novice)

Debbie S

Is she even doing full run throughs yet? Vincent has posted a lot of footage of Gracie attempting individual jumps or jump combinations but I have never seen any footage of a full run through of a program.
I wouldn't expect him to post every detail of Gracie's training. The ind jumps are a snapshot of the many hours she spends training. I wouldn't use them to infer whatever else she is or isn't doing.

Sylvia

TBD
I noticed Bradie's SP music has been updated in her Team USA profile: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=163
“Chronos/Mechanisms” by Kirill Richter (a Russian Neoclassical composer and pianist):
Benoit Richaud choreographed both of her programs again this season.

Jammers

Ugh Ting isn't having the kind of start to her first season as a Senior that she needs. :(

natsulian

Alysa Liu was interviewed by USA Today as part of their coverage on groundbreaking young ladies.

Some key highlights:
  • She says she does not care about “beating” other people, she simply wants to achieve her OWN personal best
  • Focus of her training has shifted to skating skills
  • “I’m mainly working on my speed on the ice, because I am pretty slow”
  • Wants to have more speed, flow, and flexibility
  • She says that she doesn’t get as nervous anymore... pre-competition butterflies have faded
  • In 10 years she wants to still be skating... and live with her best friends
QUOTE:
Don’t let comments stop you from what you can achieve. Just work on what you are trying to learn, become the best you can be and prove them wrong.

Link: https://www.today.com/style/figure-skating-champ-alysa-liu-14-what-s-next-after-t162391

Vagabond

With reference to Gracie Gold:
I hope she's enjoying training and is proud of what she accomplished.
And with reference to Alysa Liu:
Alysa Liu was interviewed by USA Today as part of their coverage on groundbreaking young ladies.

Some key highlights:
  • She says she does not care about “beating” other people, she simply wants to achieve her OWN personal best
I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that Gracie Gold may have the same attitude here as Alysa Liu. And in Gold's case, that "personal best" may not be what the ISU calls a "Personal Best." It may be something else.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

With reference to Gracie Gold:

And with reference to Alysa Liu:

I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that Gracie Gold may have the same attitude here as Alysa Liu. And in Gold's case, that "personal best" may not be what the ISU calls a "Personal Best." It may be something else.

What I am getting from Gold's return, is that her 'personal best' is all about skating for pride, and learning to love the sport again. It's so nice to see her again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information