Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammers

Well, hopefully she can pull it off tomorrow in free. She looked so sad today in KC.
Alysa is used to dominating everyone she has faced in her young career and isn't used to not leading after the SP. Tomorrow will show us if she's a fighter or not. I myself know she is but she has to now show it when it counts.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Alysa is used to dominating everyone she has faced in her young career and isn't used to not leading after the SP. Tomorrow will show us if she's a fighter or not. I myself know she is but she has to now show it when it counts.
Oh - I have no doubt this young lady is a fighter!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

If Liu skates as well as she did at Lake Placid, compared to the three skaters ahead of her and their respective free skating season's bests so far in 2019, she should have enough of an overall advantage to win.

That being said, I wonder how much having a home rink advantage played in Lake Placid.

natsulian

Lindsay Thorngren, 13, did quite well and fought to hold onto the 3Lo. She has a very lyrical quality about her and her spins are great. She needs to clean up the 3Lz+3T as the Toe-loop was considered under (in real-time it looked rotated, so I don’t know what the judges saw).

Alysa’s 2Lo cost her the lead because it was worth 1.94 points. If she had executed the 3Lo, it would’ve been 5.38 points plus GOE. If the 3Lo received +1.00 in GOE, Alysa would’ve scored >68.50 which would have put her in the lead. This is a good learning experience for Alysa and will only make her stronger.

Isabeau competed as a novice and scored around 57.64 points landing a 3Lz+3T, 2A, and 3Lo.

Link to results: https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2019/28864/CAT003SEG005.html

rfisher

Let the skating begin
But she wasn’t the overwhelming favorite at Nationals and expected to win
Yeah, it's a whole different ball game when you're the new kid with nobody putting expectations on your shoulders compared to being fawned over for a year, told how wonderful you are, being in the spotlight and expected to win everything. Until you don't. Ask any successful skater when they realized they weren't always the best. Some find it crushing. Others, get mad and say, I can do better. See Medvedeva, Zagitova, Sotnikova, Gold, Kwan, and on and on and on.

all_empty

Smart of Alysa to put the 3A+3T in her program, her last JGP outing before the Final (presuming that she makes it).

The base value of the 3A is 2.1 points more than 3Lz. Given the junior jump restrictions and required jump, every other top lady will be doing 3Lz+3T in the short. Shame on the 3Lo, but I suspect it's an error she won't repeat again.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Smart of Alysa to put the 3A+3T in her program, her last JGP outing before the Final (presuming that she makes it).

The base value of the 3A is 2.1 points more than 3Lz. Given the junior jump restrictions and required jump, every other top lady will be doing 3Lz+3T in the short. Shame on the 3Lo, but I suspect it's an error she won't repeat again.

IJS scoring seems so random at times.

It's crazy to think that the triple axel - triple toe combination is only worth 2.1 BV points more than one featuring the triple lutz. Given its greater difficulty (taking off from a forward edge as well as the extra half rotation thrown in for good measure), you would think it would be worth at least double that score.

Tavi

But she wasn’t the overwhelming favorite at Nationals and expected to win

I think there must have been some expectations though - she was certainly discussed heavily here and elsewhere as a potential winner because of her triple axels, and I got the feeling USFS was paying quite a lot of attention to her.

That’s not quite the same as being expected to win, but I don’t think her situation was comparable to, say, Lindsay Thorngren’s today.

Marco

Kudos to Alysa on the 3axel3toe. That was wonderful. The key was to get it out for the first time.

It's fine that she got distracted and missed the loop. Better now than later in the season. She probably only needed bronze to make the final anyways since she won her first stop. And points wise she isn't far behind and has a much more ambitious free program planned than the others.

How she mentally approaches the free will be key. If she lets this mistake carry over into the free, then she doesn't quite have the killer instinct yet and will have to learn to toughen up before she can truly dominate. If she can develop a strong competitive mindset AND stay relatively injury-free, she is going to have a bright future.

I am also starting to really appreciate her SKATING (not just her jumps). I have said it before and will say it again, the short was adorable and she worked hard to skate to the music. Imagine if she could sell it well in front of a home crowd. Also, she presents herself very well on the ice, not juniorish at all.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I feel like I'm missing something about Liu's SP change. By doing the 3A as part of her combo she's reduced to doing a solo 2A since there is a mandatory solo axel jump. She's also doing an easier solo triple compared to last year.

Base values:

Prior (last year): 3A (8 pts.) + 3F (5.3) + 3Lz (5.9) / 3T (4.2) (+10% bonus of 1.0) = 24.4

New(?): 2A (3.3) + 3A (8) / 3T (4.2) + 3R (4.9+.49 bonus) = 20.89

How is that "upping her game"? :confused:

oleada

I feel like I'm missing something about Liu's SP change. By doing the 3A as part of her combo she's reduced to doing a solo 2A since there is a mandatory solo axel jump. She's also doing an easier solo triple compared to last year.

Base values:

Prior (last year): 3A (8 pts.) + 3F (5.3) + 3Lz (5.9) / 3T (4.2) (+10% bonus of 1.0) = 24.4

New(?): 2A (3.3) + 3A (8) / 3T (4.2) + 3R (4.9+.49 bonus) = 20.89

How is that "upping her game"? :confused:

Juniors can't do a solo 3A and the 3Lo is the mandatory solo jump this year, vs a 3F.
In seniors, she can do a solo 3A, a 3Lz+3T and whatever solo triple she wants.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Thank you @oleada. That explains why I was totally :huh: trying to figure out the strategy of that layout. :slinkaway
(I don't follow juniors that closely so wasn't thinking of the SP rule differences.)

oleada

What does Alysa need to do to beat Kamila?
Work on her skating skills. Valieva beat her in PCS by 10 points (though scoring across events is not necessarily comparable) , and frankly, has her beat in speed, flow and power. She lost in PCS today to Vasilieva, Kawabata and Tarakanova, and barely beat Moa Iwano by .5, who finished in 9th. She performed really well in Lake Placid, but she seemed more subdued here and her basic skating looked rough and rather slow compared to everyone else in the last group.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Kamila Valieva is looking forward to facing off against Alysa Liu in the JGP Finals:

https://fs-gossips.com/kamila-valiev...ith-alysa-liu/

What does Alysa need to do to beat Kamila?
I think the GPF final being a neutral location will help. Maybe work on a little more tension in her position otherwise I think an equally valid question is how is Kamila going to beat potentially three triple axels and two quad lutzes over the short and long.

natsulian

Congratulations to Alysa Liu who became the very first U.S. lady to make it to the Junior Grand Prix Final since Polina and Angela Wang during the 2013-2014 season (Karen Chen withdrew and was subbed by Wang). Liu nabbed the gold in Poland after landing a stunning 4Lz and 3A, earning a season's best as a result. Lindsay Thorngren, who debuted on the Junior Grand Prix stage this season, placed 8th.

On the other side of the world, Isabeau Levito stunned the home crowd with a stunning Free Skate consisting of, among many things, 3Lz+3T, 2A+3T, and 3Lo+Eu+3S. Isabeau scored roughly 171 points, 28 points higher than second place finisher Elsa Cheng. Tonight, Ting Cui and Amber Glenn will fight for podium spots at the U.S. International Classic.

Also, Isabelle Inthisone and Kate Wang have been assigned to the Junior Grand Prix event in Italy following Hanna's injury and subsequent withdrawal. Best of luck to everyone and good health as always.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I was a bit freaked out that Alyssa wasn't going to win when the TES display panel listed her 4 Lutz as a 3 Lutz, thus putting her initial overall TES at 70 points. I'm glad that was quickly corrected.

sjs5572

I think the GPF final being a neutral location will help. Maybe work on a little more tension in her position otherwise I think an equally valid question is how is Kamila going to beat potentially three triple axels and two quad lutzes over the short and long.
I agree. Kamila's PCS in Turin will not be as high as in Russia, and Alysa's will be higher than in Gdansk.
Also, with Alysa's 4Lz looking so stable, she could and should do two 4Lz and two 3A in the jgp Final:
3a/3t
4lz/2t
4lz
3a
-----------------------
3Lz/eu/3S
3F
3Lp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information