Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolla5501

Honestly I’m not sure these videos are helping Gracie’s cause. I am not sure what she and her coach are hoping to accomplish but I don’t think that showing anyone she can do it in practice is going to get her a spot on the World Team.

Ena Grins

Honestly I’m not sure these videos are helping Gracie’s cause. I am not sure what she and her coach are hoping to accomplish but I don’t think that showing anyone she can do it in practice is going to get her a spot on the World Team.

I'm also not sure this year's goal is a spot on the Worlds team. I think making Nationals, and skating relatively well there, would be an enormous accomplishment. Sometimes it's not about the biggest, flashiest outcome, it's about feeling like you're making progress.

Tinami Amori

Lindsay would’ve probably scored 180+ if not for the under-rotated jumps. She usually under-rotates the 3T in the 3Lz+3T and 2A+3T.
sorry this was a post about Levito. Thank you for the links. love the girl.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Isabeau Levito’s Free at Middle Atlantic’s posted by Sylvia:

https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/sta...057195008?s=20

Stunning 3Lz with good height and distance. Spins are a little slow, but I’m sure they’ll work on it. She learned the 3Lz THIS YEAR and I’m sure they’re already working on the harder elements as they prepare for her international debut next year. Also, her knee bend is so satisfying.
That girl is my favorite US novice. Love her skating.

Tinami Amori

Wish Karen just prerotate her jumps like all the Russians so she don’t get these under rotation calls.
That's a myth that is convenient to spread when "your skater" is not doing well. Dozens of international judges, who score Russians for the last years are not all blind.. ;) There used to be a saying "when you can't beat them, join them", but the new western thing now is "when you can't beat them, lie about them".

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Alysa makes me smile! Such determination! She loves what she does, and it shows. She knows what she needs to do, and she does it. And, she seems so level headed.

Jammers

Her speed in this video going into the 3axel is much better then at Nationals when she was almost at a standstill when she went into the 3xel. Her work on her skating skills and speed and power is paying off. I think most of the last year was working on the big jumps but now that she 's working on her speed and skating skills we are seeing huge improvements over a short amount of time. When this girl puts her mind to something nothing will stand in her way. :respec:

Sylvia

TBD
Gracie confirmed on Instagram that she will be going to Regionals. Her favorite quad is the 4S.
For those who would like to watch/hear her speak in person, Gracie has taken over the Instagram stories today on costume designer Brad Griffies' IG account (bradgriffies) and in reply to fan questions, she emphasized that the Salchow is currently her "favorite assisted quad" on the pole harness and she called trying the quad Lutz "super fun, very terrifying." Her favorite double jump is the loop (to warm up) and favorite triple is Lutz "especially when I'm having a good day."

Her current goal is "training for Regionals" and "from a fitness perspective, working on a pull up and I'm embarrassed to say I can't really do one; however... always room for improvement." :D

A life changing piece of advice that was given to her: "Never take criticism from someone that you would't go to for advice." :respec:

Tavi

For those who would like to watch/hear her speak in person, Gracie has taken over the Instagram stories today on costume designer Brad Griffies' IG account (bradgriffies) and in reply to fan questions, she emphasized that the Salchow is currently her "favorite assisted quad" on the pole harness and she called trying the quad Lutz "super fun, very terrifying." Her favorite double jump is the loop (to warm up) and favorite triple is Lutz "especially when I'm having a good day."

Her current goal is "training for Regionals" and "from a fitness perspective, working on a pull up and I'm embarrassed to say I can't really do one; however... always room for improvement." :D

A life changing piece of advice that was given to her: "Never take criticism from someone that you would't go to for advice." :respec:

Thanks Sylvia and natsulian - so happy to hear this!

Sylvia

TBD
From earlier in this thread :):
It looks like Alysa is planning to go for 3A+3T, 3Lo & 2A in her next JGP short program (b1 = one bonus point received for her 3A attempt), based on her Skate St. Moritz Junior SP exhibition protocol: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/SkStm19/2019SkateStMoritzIJSEvents/SEGM043.html
She received a < on her first 3A in combo, then popped the quad Lutz in her FS, and landed everything else: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/SkStm19/2019SkateStMoritzIJSEvents/SEGM044.html

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
With the conclusion of the Short, Karen Chen sits in 3rd with a score of 60.89. Karen received an under-rotation call on the 3Lz+3T and 3Lo. Best of luck in the Free.

I think one under-rotation was clear, one was iffy, with the third borderline and too close to call. But the judges and tech panel will as always do as they please. I think Karen is being put in a position of having to prove herself with the loss of rep and having not competed in awhile. I thought she looked really good in the sp, but the judges did not seem to want to give her any vote of confidence. And it did not help that she skated first.

Because of this being an early comp with not a deep field of top stars, and Eunsoo not skating well in the sp, Karen was lucky to be in third with that low-ball score. I thought she deserved more credit for her spins (at least fours and fives majorly). As well, I think Karen shows more expression and interpretive ability than Eunsoo. As the CBC commentators called it and I agree: Eunsoo is quite lovely in her bodily movement qualities, but she shows very little facially. She's a bit restrained and reserved emotionally.

With Karen skating second to last in the fp, there was more pressure on her than there was in the sp. Add to that the borderline sp UR calls, and that was enough for Karen to tighten up in the fp. With this field, Karen still had the chance to take the bronze if she'd skated with more freedom (and balanced tenacity with calm surrounding her jumps, which is easier said than done when you know the tech panel is out to get you with a microscope). All-in-all, Karen performed well and hopefully she will allow herself to grow, relax and believe in her abilities. She seems to truly enjoy both programs, and that's surely half the battle in figure skating.

Eunsoo's Sabrina program (by David Wilson) is breathtaking, and she skated much better than in the sp. Still, Eunsoo's weakness is her lack of emotion. For this program to grow, she needs to relax and project more. I'm happy to see this type of program for a ladies skater. I wish more classic and interesting movie soundtracks would be utilized (e.g., I'm pining to see someone use the Laura soundtrack by David Raksin):

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think one under-rotation was clear, one was iffy, with the third borderline and too close to call. But the judges and tech panel will as always do as they please. I think Karen is being put in a position of having to prove herself with the loss of rep and having not competed in awhile. I thought she looked really good in the sp, but the judges did not seem to want to give her any vote of confidence. And it did not help that she skated first.

Because of this being an early comp with not a deep field of top stars, and Eunsoo not skating well in the sp, Karen was lucky to be in third with that low-ball score. I thought she deserved more credit for her spins (at least fours and fives majorly). As well, I think Karen shows more expression and interpretive ability than Eunsoo. As the CBC commentators called it and I agree: Eunsoo is quite lovely in her bodily movement qualities, but she shows very little facially. She's a bit restrained and reserved emotionally.

With Karen skating second to last in the fp, there was more pressure on her than there was in the sp. Add to that the borderline sp UR calls, and that was enough for Karen to tighten up in the fp. With this field, Karen still had the chance to take the bronze if she'd skated with more freedom (and balanced tenacity with calm surrounding her jumps, which is easier said than done when you know the tech panel is out to get you with a microscope). All-in-all, Karen performed well and hopefully she will allow herself to grow, relax and believe in her abilities. She seems to truly enjoy both programs, and that's surely half the battle in figure skating.

Eunsoo's Sabrina program (by David Wilson) is breathtaking, and she skated much better than in the sp. Still, Eunsoo's weakness is her lack of emotion. For this program to grow, she needs to relax and project more. I'm happy to see this type of program for a ladies skater. I wish more classic and interesting movie soundtracks would be utilized (e.g., I'm pining to see someone use the Laura soundtrack by David Raksin):

A great skating choice. My favourite vocal version of Laura is by Anthony Warlow.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
So Alysa accomplished the 3axel/3 toe in the SP!!!!!!..and only managed 4th place?.... doubling the loop was that detrimental?????

64 points still seems low... even if you give her the missed points for the 3 loop Im not sure if she would be in the lead, would she? hmmmmmm

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
^^^ its a bd for me. Im vested!

and the point of my post was to ask if that point differential between a 2 loop and a 3 loop was that big of a deal despite the completion of a 3axel/3 toe.

oleada

So Alysa accomplished the 3axel/3 toe in the SP!!!!!!..and only managed 4th place?.... doubling the loop was that detrimental?????

64 points still seems low... even if you give her the missed points for the 3 loop Im not sure if she would be in the lead, would she? hmmmmmm
The 3A+3T doesn’t give you a big advantage vs a 3Lz+3T in the second half, to be honest. I think she only got .5 more than Tarakanova in the end. Plus, she had a L3 spin vs all L4 for both Russians.

She has the highest base value of all the ladies in the LP and Tarakanova and KAwabata are not exactly consistent. I wouldn’t worry too much :lol:

SkateFanBerlin

I could see Liu wasn't that happy with her skate. Now we see how she deals with it. Her first real international competitive season. Said above the 3A/3T didn't give that big advantage in the short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information