Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie S

Do skaters practice takeoffs only in a harness or is it always the whole jump?
Are you talking about on-ice harnesses? When a skater is practicing in a harness on-ice, yes, they do the whole jump. If they are just working on the takeoff, they don't need a harness - would just do a big single.

Off-ice jumping could be actually rotating the whole jump off the ice (usually occurs with axels) or simply jumping up and rotating - i.e. skater starts out on 2 feet and uses legs and arms to do the rotations and lands on 2 feet. Or exercises that involve jumping on an object (ex: box) to try to gain power/height on jumps that you are doing on-ice. The "mjmskating" (Mitchell Johannson Method) IG has some videos of their skaters training off ice.

The idea of sneakers having less support than skates is probably true and a good point. Hopefully, the majority of elite skaters are working with trainers who can guide them through exercises safely. Unfortunately, as with any physical activity, injuries can occur. Rachel Parsons broke her ankle about 7-8 years ago doing off-ice training (and I'm thinking she wasn't training jumps) but fortunately, it happened in the off-season and she was recovered by the start of the season.

Some rinks have an off-ice harness - one of the rinks in my area does, it depends on space - which coaches can use with their skaters. Similar to an on-ice harness, it helps the skater get a feel for rotation and air position. And landing on the floor might be a softer landing than on the ice.

flyingsit

An off-ice harness is good for skaters to work on keeping their axis correct for multi rotation jumps.

concorde

The idea of sneakers having less support than skates is probably true and a good point. Hopefully, the majority of elite skaters are working with trainers who can guide them through exercises safely. Unfortunately, as with any physical activity, injuries can occur. Rachel Parsons broke her ankle about 7-8 years ago doing off-ice training (and I'm thinking she wasn't training jumps) but fortunately, it happened in the off-season and she was recovered by the start of the season.

Most skaters have very weak ankles because their boots comes so high that those muscles do not get strengthened.
I think many off ice injuries are due to weak ankles, not bad sneakers.
fwiw -A good off-ice coach should work on strengthening the ankles.

natsulian

Weekly Round-Up:
  • Bradie Tennell, who withdrew from Autumn Classic, suffered from a sprain and did indeed skate at Champs Camp. At this point, I think the federation just wants her at 100% before her Grand Prix debut.
  • Thus far, no lady is listed for the TBD spot for Skate America. My theory: the federation will wait until Starr, Megan, and Glenn have skated at their respective Challengers before issuing any finalized information.
  • A few clips of Bell's Short have found their way on Instagram and... she delivered. One of our most artistically gifted ladies in my opinion.
  • According to people from Gracie's rink, she's been practicing the 4S and 3A on the harness for a while, and she's VERY close with the 4S. Best of luck to our golden girl. With how much training and time she's put in, I'll be surprised if she's not gunning for the 2021 Worlds spot.
  • Alysa seemed to have skated an exhibition at a local club event.
  • Ting is training the 3A, 4T, and 4S. Injury a few months ago was due to a fall on the 3A.
  • Calista Choi competed and placed second to Elsa Chan (girl who was training the 4T) in a local event.

Also, Kate Wang and Audrey Shin will be competing at Russia this week. Best of luck.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
What did she say? How could have pretended to be Frank Carrol, given that you're female (as indicate by your username)? How did the call progress?

It's a joke.

And I am a dude.... 😆

You think I'm actually Angela Nikodinov?

jiejie

Hanna withdrew? Not good.

Hopefully not an injury. Maybe Team Harrell wants her to focus on her junior program until she gets through the JGP, then work only on the senior layout and do a later Challenger. It can't be easy flip-flopping between programs, and goodness knows she has some things to work on (like jumping without the 'tanos and rippons) within the junior program.

Sylvia

TBD
Hanna's update today (in English & Japanese) shows her wearing a support boot on her right foot/lower leg :(: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2NANa1j5Sz/
Hey guys! currently i am in a boot for a total of 4 weeks(2 more to go). recovery is my priority, therefore i unfortunately will have to withdraw from a few competitions. i am so thankful for my friends, family, and everyone that is supporting me, and i love you guys so much! i can’t wait to be back in full training mode! 💪💕
So it sounds like she will withdraw from JGP #7 as well. In her IG story she mentioned USFS was filming something in Dallas today with her and her mom.

jiejie

Oh my, that is a shame. Yes, does sound like the second JGP is not going to happen for her. But at least another US junior lady now has a shot at a slot.

Sylvia

TBD
JGP #7 Egna, Italy (Oct. 2-5) U.S. ladies as listed by the ISU:

37 Hanna HARRELL USA 33
38 Audrey SHIN USA 33 (placeholder; competing at JGP #4 this week)
Calista CHOI USA 33 S (12th in Courchevel)
Aubrey IGNACIO USA 33 S *see below
Isabelle INTHISONE USA 33 S (10th in Riga)
Sarah JUNG USA 33 S (will debut at JGP #6)
Jessica LIN USA 33 S (8th in Lake Placid)
Ellen SLAVICEK USA 33 S *see below
Kate WANG USA 33 S (will debut at JGP #4 this week; she has the highest U.S. Junior ladies' total score of 177.62 this summer, AFAIK, from Skate San Francisco, Aug. 16-18)

*Ellen Slavicek has the highest total summer comp. score of 163.71 (Glacier Falls) of the remaining subs; she has competed once internationally before in last year's Adv. Novice event at Asian Open in Bangkok (finished in 6th place behind Alysa Liu 1st & Indi Cha 5th) but did not end up qualifying for 2019 Nationals in Novice.

*Aubrey Ignacio is the 2019 U.S. Novice silver medalist but her summer results/scores have not been stellar.

ETA:
Audrey Shin’s senior Free Skate at Golden West where she earned approximately 180.

Link: https://twitter.com/Natsu_Lian_/status/1168993500920209408?s=20
Belated thanks to @natsulian for sharing Audrey Shin's FS video from the Sept. 1st Golden West livestream. According to her updated ISU bio, her Miss Saigon FS was choreographed by either Ilona Melnichenko or Tom Dickson (my guess is the latter and that Melnichenko, Torgashev's mother, choreographed Audrey's SP to "You Don't Give Up On Love" by Mark Minkov). Audrey's 180.22 total (120.40 in FS) at Golden West currently is the 3rd highest Senior ladies NQS comp. score this summer behind Liu and Harrell.

Last edited:

natsulian

I wish Hanna a full and speedy recovery. I hope she can combat future injuries from occurring again as she's now been injured twice in a year. Last year, she was injured during the summer. This year, it seems her problems began during the summer and got worse as soon as Courchevel rolled around. This season has not been kind to our ladies as many of the top non-US and US ladies have experienced injuries.

Last edited:

natsulian

Isabeau Levito’s Free at Middle Atlantic’s posted by Sylvia:

https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/sta...057195008?s=20

Stunning 3Lz with good height and distance. Spins are a little slow, but I’m sure they’ll work on it. She learned the 3Lz THIS YEAR and I’m sure they’re already working on the harder elements as they prepare for her international debut next year. Also, her knee bend is so satisfying.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Middle Atlantics (SC of NY's annual club comp. in NYC) Novice Ladies top 2 both performed really good free skates: Isabeau Levito 176.30 (57.11 SP, 119.19 FS!) and Gwen Bloesch 154.42 (106.38 FS).

Here's the direct link to part 2 of Levito's FS (natsulian already posted part 1 above): https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1171250163941347329
ETA: Her opening 3Lz+3T was a bit shaky; not sure about the rotation on her 3T. Her other jumps (as shown in the 2 clips) were: 3Lz, 3F, 2A+3T, 3Lo+1Eu+3S, 2Lo & 2A.

I'm sorry I didn't film Gwen Bloesch's 2nd place Novice FS to Amelie (106.38) with 6 triples landed (2A, 3Lz, 3T+1Eu+2F, 3F+1T, 3F, 3S+2T, 3T). She was very excited when she finished her program. :)

Lindsay Thorngren won the Middle Atlantics Junior Ladies event with a total score of 173.07 (61.50 SP, 111.57 FS). I didn't see her FS, unfortunately, but heard she went for/landed 7 triples.

Last edited:

natsulian

Middle Atlantics (SC of NY's annual club comp. in NYC) Novice Ladies top 2 both performed really good free skates: Isabeau Levito 176.30 (57.11 SP, 119.19 FS!) and Gwen Bloesch 154.42 (106.38 FS).

Here's the direct link to part 2 of Levito's FS (natsulian already posted part 1 above): https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1171250163941347329

I'm sorry I didn't film Gwen Bloesch's 2nd place Novice FS to Amelie (106.38) with 6 triples landed (2A, 3Lz, 3T+1Eu+2F, 3F+1T, 3F, 3S+2T, 3T). She was very excited when she finished her program. :)

Lindsay Thorngren won the Middle Atlantics Junior Ladies event with a total score of 173.07 (61.50 SP, 111.57 FS). I didn't see her FS, unfortunately, but heard she went for/landed 7 triples.
Lindsay would’ve probably scored 180+ if not for the under-rotated jumps. She usually under-rotates the 3T in the 3Lz+3T and 2A+3T.

Z

ZilphaK

And how Adam Rippon hurt his foot/ankle (I can’t remember which).

I'm sure there are injuries off ice, whether jumping, doing strength training, just running.

There are also a lot of injuries on ice, including overuse injuries (sort of a given), broken bones and traumatic brain injuries.

If there's a way to better train and perfect off ice training that translates to on ice fast-tracking, it will save boatloads of money for parents. I don't think we're going to get anywhere with furthering elite competitive figure skating in the US until we get past the boatloads of money problem. We're not in the dumps, for sure -- status quo wouldn't be a defeat. But to raise the level for/of more skaters, it's going to take bringing the cost down for more skaters, both in ice time and access to great coaching.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yep, there are some complex problems the sport faces. Not that TPTB actually seem to be tackling crucial issues with much concern, vision, or thoughtfulness.

Bradie Tennell has withdrawn from the Autumn Classic and is apparently injured. I hope it’s not because of the 3A or quads.

Gracie Gold is training the 3A and 4S. Her coach posted a 3A attempt on a harness and a beautiful 3S which will be upgraded to a 4S.

I'm conflicted because while there is a bit of thrill and awe in seeing 3-axels performed by ladies, there's way too much emphasis today on the jumps, and not enough on skating skills and expressive performances. I don't tend to view ladies doing quads as thrilling necessarily. Quite often it's difficult to actually detect the fourth revolution because all the revolutions have to happen so fast. Plus, it's easier for younger prepubescent young ladies to rotate quickly.

Ultimately for me, this news is sad because there's an imbalance in the sport's approach and in what it rewards and values. I feel the same sadness when hearing about Medvedeva trying to upgrade in order to compete with the quads and 3-axels of latest Russian teenyboppers.

Ironically, it took Nathan Chen giving the men's discipline a load of what it craved in order for quad scoring reforms to suddenly be instituted. Yes it's a sport, but the sport of figure skating originated and was developed based on mastering intricate blade skills over the ice, not on banging up bones and joints trying to achieve aerial/ acrobatic feats on ungiving, unforgiving hard ice.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR LADIES summer scores over 140

Alysa Liu 215 Skate San Francisco (208.10 @ JGP)
Karen Chen 182 Philadelphia
Hanna Harrell 182 Cannon Texas (160.50 @ JGP)
E Audrey Shin 180 Golden West
M Amber Glenn, 170 Skate Detroit
E Gabriella Izzo 169 Lake Placid (160.94 @ JGP)
E Sarah Jung 162 Philadelphia
E Jill Heiner 152 Philadelphia
M Alyssa Rich 151 Broadmoor (SP&QFS)
P Starr Andrews 150 LA Open
E Heidi Munger 149 Collegiate
E Rena Ikenishi 148 Mid Atlantics
P Emilia Murdock 146 Glacier Falls (148.95 @ JGP)
E Julia Biechler 146 Wilmington
P Caitlin Ha 145 Glacier Falls
P Sierra Venetta 145 Skate San Francisco
P Lily Sun 144 Skate St Moritz
M Akane Eguchi 142 Skate Detroit
E Megan Wessenberg 142 Glacier Falls
P Brynne McIsaac 141 Broadmoor
P Akari Nakahara 140 LA Open

TBD- Ting Cui, Courtney Hicks, Gracie Gold, Mariah Bell, Bradie Tennell

JUNIOR

Kate Wang 177 P Skate San Francisco
Isabeau Levito 176 E Mid Atlantics (novice)
Lindsay Thorngren 173 E Mid Atlantics
Jessica Lin 164 M Broadmoor (148.35 @ JGP)
Ellen Slavicek 163 P Glacier Falls
Elsa Cheng 158 M NQS Milwaukee
Isabelle Inthisone (156.03 @ JGP) 144 M Southport
Gwen Bloesch 154 E Mid Atlantics (novice)
Finley Hawk 151 M Southport
Emma Coppess 149 P LA Open
Mia Kalin, 149 P Skate St Moritz
Noelle Rosa 146 P Broadmoor
Alena Budko 143 P Glacier Falls
Indi Cha 141 E Colonial
Allison Zheng 140 P Skate St Moritz
Calista Choi 138 M NQS Milwaukee (148.19 @ JGP)
Tiffany Pennella 137 E Broadmoor

Last edited:
Z

ZilphaK

I know Gracie has not been competing and instead is diligently training. And is "older." But coming up, she was a pure athletic skater who we watched layer-on artistry. Whether or not she ever competes a 3A or 4S -- because she may or may not need to or for any other reason -- I just have a hunch she'll call upon that strong athletic talent and motivation and land them. If only just because. Which, I think, would be awesome. :)

Sylvia

TBD
@haribobo, here are 3 additional NQS competition scores for your list:

SENIOR
E Rena Ikenishi 164.72 Moran Memorial
M Stephanie Ciarochi 146.29 Skate Houston

JUNIOR
Alena Budko 158.85 P Sherwood Invitational

natsulian

You can tell working on a 3A really helped Mia’s 2A. She over-rotated the last one by a good margin. Better programs, faster spins, and greater skating skills are what she should strive for next. She’s only 11, so she has a lot of time.

Also, check out Isabelle’s huge 3F+3T: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Pqk2NHV-2/?igshid=kaz8114xybxp

I hope Isabelle gets Egna. With more experience, she could really bloom and score quite high internationally. Then again, I hope Kate also gets one of the placeholder spots.

We haven’t had such a talented batch of junior ladies in such a long time. Yes, they did not score as high as one would’ve liked, but nearly ALL of them are new debuts this year. With more time and exposure, they all have the potential to truly make big marks next year. Also, Isabeau will debut next season. It will be very exciting.

Last edited:

RoseRed

You can tell working on a 3A really helped Mia’s 2A. She over-rotated the last one by a good margin. Better programs, faster spins, and greater skating skills are what she should strive for next. She’s only 11, so she has a lot of time.

Also, check out Isabelle’s huge 3F+3T: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Pqk2NHV-2/?igshid=kaz8114xybxp

I hope Isabelle gets Egna. With more experience, she could really bloom and score quite high internationally. Then again, I hope Kate also gets one of the placeholder spots.

We haven’t had such a talented batch of junior ladies in such a long time. Yes, they did not score as high as one would’ve liked, but nearly ALL of them are new debuts this year. With more time and exposure, they all have the potential to truly make big marks next year. Also, Isabeau will debut next season. It will be very exciting.
There's only one placeholder spot left (Audrey's 2nd). Although there's also Hanna's 2nd spot now that we know she's injured.

I guess it'll depend on how the ladies do the next couple of weeks. I would think Isabelle would be first in line of the girls who've gone so far and don't currently have two, but we still haven't seen Audrey, Kate, Lindsay, and Sarah have their first event.

Jammers

11 yo Mia Kalin's clean, 7-triple (two 3-3s) junior freeskate at Skate St. Moritz this weekend... 3F, 3Lz-3T, 2A, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3F-Eu-3S, 2A+2T! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-MGEk2vzuA
Is it me or does the US seem to be finally building up the lower ranks with first Alysa and now with Levito and Kalin? It't to early to know what the future holds but it's great to see such talent at such a young age. It's not Russian depth yet but seeing these girls doing jumps and combos that in past years US Junior ladies champions couldn't do tells me that things are heading into the right direction. The days of a US Junior lady winning at 17 or 18 without all the triples may be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information