Status
Not open for further replies.

vesperholly

My point is that the true champions aren't leaving it up to chance and bombing at Nationals. And I am an Adam fan. But replacing the 11th best man in the world for the 9th best man in the world is kinda silly IMO, and I hope that doesn't pave the way for more situations like that.
FWIW, Adam was ranked 10th and Ross was ranked 46th in 17/18. The season before, Adam was 22nd and Ross was 112th.

Carolla5501

My point about Kwan was that she consistently showed up and delivered. 5 Grand Prix final medals, 8 World Championship medals, 12 National medals.

Somehow we need to get back to women skating where the skaters have that kind of consistency, and can show up and deliver.

I’m not sure how to do it, but right now I don’t see a skater out there who I am convinced can do it. Maybe this young generation coming up will have a few of those, but I don’t see that same level of consistency and determination. You see it in the Russian ladies., But not the US

And to me one of the things that I think might help is to be honest at nationals. If a 12 year old Is the best skater, Put the medal around her neck. Holding up skaters or making sure our champion is who we want it to be has not been working for us on the international scene

Dobre

You are kidding, right? After all these years, we are still going to gauge these young ladies on how they compare to Michelle? No.

I would like to see the U.S. ladies field competitive with the best in the World. That I would love to see.

I do not need nine national championships for the same skater.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
What does it mean to say a skater delivered?

In Michelle's day, underrotations were not noted, wrong edges were ignored. Sometimes even two foot landings were ignored. So as long as the skater stood up and kept the pops to a minimum, they were seen to have delivered.

And let's not get into how much easier this spins and steps were in her day.

The current system rewards attempts not the absence of mistakes. So for that reason alone we're going to see more mistakes.

Bonjour Sherry

Bradie has been pretty consistent, it's just that there are some Russians and Japanese who are even more consistent. I wouldn't say Bradie is necessarily less consistent than Kwan, but I think the issue is that she is simply not a top skater in the world even when she skates cleanly. My hunch is that she is at best a 5th (maybe 4th place) skater.

all_empty

U.S. Nationals kicks off today with Juvenile & Intermediate level events. I've started a thread for the Juvenile events in the 2019 U.S. Nationals sub forum/Kiss & Cry section: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/juvenile-girls-boys-pairs-fs.105123/

For those who may remember Patricia Mansfield (competed at 3 Nationals in Senior - in 1994, 5th in 1995 & 2002 at the age of 28), her daughter Ava Ziegler is competing this morning in the Juvenile Girls event. They are mentioned in this 1/13/19 New Jersey article on 6 local Juvenile skaters: https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/l...-skating-championships-nj-skaters/2496495002/

ETA that Ava won the pewter (4th place) medal. :) The top 3 all landed a clean triple apiece.

Patricia also skated at Nationals in 2003!

She had a very respectable performance in 1995 with some very cool field moves -- namely the inverted spiral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1LsqEZ3W3c

Kudos to all the juvenile medalists (I think sometimes skating one program is higher pressure than two).

Japan, Korea, and Russia all have histories of naming age-ineligible skaters as champions and I think it definitely motivates skaters.

Even Kimmie stated in her recent TSL interview something along the lines of the focus (from the federation or media or both) was on the younger skaters -- and let's not forget Mirai won when she was 14.

The only concern is injuries and giving promising skaters time to develop. Some make it through like Young You, others like Mirai go through their ups and downs. And then you can look at someone like Cindy Bortz who had incredible talent and potential only to be sidelined by growth and injuries.

Bonjour Sherry

I have never thought of cheating jumps or taking off incorrect edges as 'consistency' issues, but rather as flaws in the skater's technique.

I think Ive only really seen Bradie fall once (Olys SP) in the last 2 years of competitions...

Bradie's competitiveness is pretty strong. She did struggle with her combo in the short program at both of her Grand Prix events, although her long programs at both events were good. But she was trying out new combinations and even Michelle made mistakes in the short program.

I think the United States has also given high marks/placements to age-ineligible skaters in the past. Other than Kimmie and Mirai, we also had NNN (she did not win Nationals because Kwan was objectively better). So if Alysa skates lights out, it's possible she'll win.

olympic

Bradie has a good shot at being in the final group at Worlds. Here are the top SP scores as of this month:

1 Rika Kihira JPN 82.51 2018-19 GPF
2 Alina Zagitova RUS 80.78 2018 RC
3 Alena Kostornaia RUS 76.32 2018-19 JGPF
4 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva RUS 76.17 2018 NHK
5 Satoko Miyahara JPN 76.08 2018 NHK
6 Alexandra Trusova RUS 74.74 2018 JGP Lithuania
7 Anna Shcherbakova RUS 73.18 2018 JGP Slovenia
8 Loena Hendrickx BEL 71.50 2018 Nebelhorn
Bradie Tennell USA 71.50 2018 Golden Spin
10 Kaori Sakamoto JPN 71.29 2018 Skate America

Remove the juniors from the standings and she is tied for 5th best SP. I guess we will have to also gauge where Tuk is after recovering from illness

Last edited:

toddlj

Sorry to be a bad US lady fan, but if Bradie is duking it out for the final group with Loena, I would so much rather see Loena get it. Loena has the "it factor" Bradie lacks -- line, grace, charisma, and originality!
We will see if Loena is there; she withdrew from Euros.

Bonjour Sherry

Bradie has a good shot at being in the final group at Worlds. Here are the top SP scores as of this month:

1 Rika Kihira JPN 82.51 2018-19 GPF
2 Alina Zagitova RUS 80.78 2018 RC
3 Alena Kostornaia RUS 76.32 2018-19 JGPF
4 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva RUS 76.17 2018 NHK
5 Satoko Miyahara JPN 76.08 2018 NHK
6 Alexandra Trusova RUS 74.74 2018 JGP Lithuania
7 Anna Shcherbakova RUS 73.18 2018 JGP Slovenia
8 Loena Hendrickx BEL 71.50 2018 Nebelhorn
Bradie Tennell USA 71.50 2018 Golden Spin
10 Kaori Sakamoto JPN 71.29 2018 Skate America

Remove the juniors from the standings and she is tied for 5th best SP. I guess we will have to also gauge where Tuk is after recovering from illness

Interesting that Tennell is ahead of Sakamoto in this ranking. I think Kaori will be getting much higher scores at Worlds, now that she is the National Champion.

VGThuy

I think a final group containing Kihira, Zagitova, Tuk, Miyahara, Tennell, and Sakamoto would make for an exciting LP line up. If one of the Celine Dion warriors sneak in to the final flight for the LP based on their SP, I wouldn't be mad either.

Last edited:

natsulian

Link to the Intermediate Ladies Free Program Results: https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2019/27958/SEGM010.html

Lindsay Thorngren attempted a 3Lz-3T as her first jump combo, but fell on the Lutz and could not complete the combo. However, her next planned combo was a 3Lz-2Lo and she changed it to a 3Lz-3T and later added the 2Lo to the 3F. Not only is she gutsy, but she's also a quick thinker. She attempted a total of SIX triples, landing five.

Isabeau Levito managed to land a 3Lo-3T and came in second although she was NOT pleased with the score. Levito attempted SIX triples, landing all of them.

olympic

Link to the Intermediate Ladies Free Program Results: https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2019/27958/SEGM010.html

Lindsay Thorngren attempted a 3Lz-3T as her first jump combo, but fell on the Lutz and could not complete the combo. However, her next planned combo was a 3Lz-2Lo and she changed it to a 3Lz-3T and later added the 2Lo to the 3F. Not only is she gutsy, but she's also a quick thinker. She attempted a total of SIX triples, landing five.

Isabeau Levito managed to land a 3Lo-3T and came in second although she was NOT pleased with the score. Levito attempted SIX triples, landing all of them.

Music to my ears. We hopefully will have some ladies that can go mano a mano w/ the Russo-Japanese ice cartel in the near future

olympic

Interesting that Tennell is ahead of Sakamoto in this ranking. I think Kaori will be getting much higher scores at Worlds, now that she is the National Champion.

I honestly was surprised that Bradie's score was that highly ranked. But, HOPE!

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Isabeau Levito says that she hopes to move up to Juniors next season and to have a consistent Lutz by then.

Interesting that she wants to skip novice. Wonder how many other young skaters will start making that choice since novice won't be at nationals starting next year.

natsulian

Interesting that she wants to skip novice. Wonder how many other young skaters will start making that choice since novice won't be at nationals starting next year.

Isabeau's a fighter, if anyone can do it, it's her. Also, if the Gold medalist, Lindsay, moves up to Juniors next season, I believe she'll be eligible for Junior international assignments. However, I think that it would best for her to move up to Novice to work on her PCS, under-rotations, and add another 3-3 then move up to Juniors. It's not every day you get a 13 year-old attempting 3Lz-3T and 3Lz-3Lo. She seems to also be a quick-thinker as she fell on the opening 3Lz and couldn't add the 3T, but then attempted it again and re-worked her next combo to add in a missed 2Lo to a 3F. We've got some talented skaters coming down the pipeline. Very exciting.

Sylvia

TBD
Isabeau Levito was 10 when she won the Juvenile Girls title last year.

ETA: Stats on Ice lists her DOB as 3/3/07.

Last edited:

Frida80

I know skaters would skip pre-juvenile and go straight to Juvenile as soon as they got most of their doubles because they could move on to nationals. I predict a rush to learn triples and a push for novice and junior.

bladesofgorey

Having been on the same ice with Lindsay a number of times last year and this season, her improvements in jump height have been remarkable even as she's grown taller (she's always had great flexibility). She's a very consistent and precise skater even during practices- she's not aggressive in crowded sessions but is unflappable and can place her triples in between crazy unpredictable traffic in a way I've never seen another high level skater able to do- her focus is laser-sharp. Also she's much more athletic and sturdy in person than she appears in the videos from nationals which bodes well for longevity in the sport as she gets older. I wouldn't be surprised if she moves up to Juniors next year because I am not sure what she'll have to gain by spending a year in Novice, and she could definitely be competitive at the Junior level next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information