Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I remember how bezerk David went over Tessa Hong a few years back, and her career never really took off, either.

I'm beginning to wonder if he has Rod Black's 'next one' curse.

Yep, Dave was being facetious about Gracie, and perhaps a bit irreverent regarding Alysa. Altho' I'm not entirely sure that he isn't serious in his thinking that Alysa is the only one with enough talent to become the newest U.S. ladies savior. :COP: Neither the U.S. nor the rest of the world has really gotten over the Michelle Kwan phenomenon in many ways (i.e., since MK's retirement, there's been some international backlash re her former dominance, as well as over-expectations among US fed and US fans, which no one can live up to). As we all know, throwing high expectations upon young talented juniors is a dangerous enterprise (e.g., Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu, Rachael Flatt, Polina Edmunds, Gracie Gold, et al).

Obstacles to making it quickly to the top include that bone disease which can affect young growing bodies, in addition to a slew of other hurdles: added to bodily growing pains there are emotional growing pains; consistently learning to meld performance skill with technical talent; navigating international depth in the ladies discipline; the vagaries of political scoring, etc.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

As well as gorgeous straight back, lovely arms, gorgeous layback

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Sasha definitely had an important impact when her star rose at U.S. Nationals during the Michelle Kwan dominance years. Sasha's lovely artistry and flexibility were very influential. Whether or not she's been credited enough for her contributions is up for debate. Let fs historians contemplate and decipher.

It could be that Sasha may have been adulated even more for her prodigious talents had she overcome some of her technical snafus (caused by nerves or faulty technique?) during crucial competitions. Sasha had a final excellent opportunity to win OGM (albeit that it was during her Swan Song year), but she only managed to capture OSM. So in that respect Sasha did not surpass MK's accomplishments and come completely out of the shadow of Michelle's dominant reputation. I do believe that Sasha's amazing flexibility and artistry have always been highly touted, revered, and remembered by everyone. Sasha absolutely had the best I-spin (with Alissa Czisny's a close second). Sasha never took a bad picture. It'd be fun having her best performances on a neverending loop. She was amazing. :sasha1:

Frida80

I remember how bezerk David went over Tessa Hong a few years back, and her career never really took off, either.

I'm beginning to wonder if he has Rod Black's 'next one' curse.

Dave knows nothing on what it takes to be a champion. The skaters that he salivates over appeal to his preferences rather than having true competitive attributes. Tessa was underrotating when Dave, “discovered” her. She was a baby ballerina and had Frank as a coach. But her jumps were a problem.

Right now, Alyssa is being hyped because she’s Jr. National Champ, could back load, and has a 3A. She stil, has a lot of things to work on. Prerotation on her +3T combos. Underrotations. Etc. But is she the only hope for USFS? No. Talent rises in the most unexpected times in the most unexpected skaters.

Dave didn’t see Bradie coming because he didn’t see how much improvement she made over the last year, after she got over her injuries. He didn’t notice how consistent she was. He ignored her, until after SA.

Just ignore Dave. He’s mostly a gossip that loves to talk about costumes, music and choreography. He doesn’t understand technique or what it really takes to be a winner.

Frida80

triple axel in practice video (where athlete can repeat again & again until getting a good clip) = hype
triple axel in competition in the short & the long program = not hype

Until she lands in international competition, we have no idea if it's under rotated or not. Not to mention the rest the combos she was getting rotation calls on. We've been through this multiple times. With Caroline, Gracie, Karen, etc. They seem like they have everything. But then when things get serious things changed. Just because this skater lands a major jump or jump combination in a club competition does not make them the next Midori Ito or Yuna Kim. Until she win something major like senior ISU competitions, I consider her in the developmental stage.

She still has to go through her growth spurt, Junior competitions, and the unrealistic expectations of US figure skating. Don't get me wrong I'm very impressed. But Instead of calling her the future when she is 12 years old, I will simply watch and wait and cheer.

Last edited:

Willin

@Frida80 ITA. While it's impressive, this was a local competition with no video replay afaik. We already know that many US skaters don't get UR calls domestically and then get hit hard by international judges.

I just hope she can keep improving and solve the issues she currently has. She has time to fix whatever she needs to before she even gets to the Junior ranks.

emilieh

I just popped in to post about Alysa Liu's axels. I was working at the competition and I admit I couldn't see her feet closely, but the jumps were done without much hesitation. I think she opened with one in her free, then it was likely she had another one planned at the other end, but she popped it. Two triple-triple combos in the second half, one of which was a Sal for the second jump. In the SP, I think she doubled the solo jump.

I believe they actually had video replay. At least there was a video person listed as part of the tech panel, and the waits between scores during most of the IJS events were quite long.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Thanks for your report, @emilieh!

The majority of (smaller) U.S. club competitions normally don't publish protocols but CCIA did - Alysa Liu scored 70.87 in her Senior SP and 124 in her FS this past weekend (highest combined score so far by 1 point over Amber Glenn's effort in a small club comp. last month):

CCIA Sr. FS protocols: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/CCIA2018/2018 CCIA IJS Results/SEGM021.html
Alysa's jumps (landed 7 of 8 triples): 3A+2T(+1 GOE), 1A / 3Lz+3T, 3F-half loop-3S, 3Lo, 3Lz, 2A.

CCIA Sr. SP protocols: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/CCIA2018/2018 CCIA IJS Results/SEGM012.html
Alysa's jumps: 3A(-2) / 3Lz+3T, 3F.

ETA that the 2018-19 Kiss & Cry section is currently still open to all - I've updated my Scoretracker/Top Ten links there: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2018-u-s-club-competitions-scoretracker-updates.104024/

Last edited:

Frida80

The majority of (smaller) U.S. club competitions normally don't publish protocols but CCIA did - Alysa Liu scored 70.87 in her Senior SP and 124 in her FS this past weekend (highest combined score so far by 1 point over Amber Glenn's effort in a small club comp. last month):

CCIA Sr. FS protocols: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/CCIA2018/2018 CCIA IJS Results/SEGM021.html
Alysa's jumps (landed 7 of 8 triples): 3A+2T(+1 GOE), 1A / 3Lz+3T, 3F-half loop-3S, 3Lo, 3Lz, 2A.

CCIA Sr. SP protocols: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/CCIA2018/2018 CCIA IJS Results/SEGM012.html

ETA that the 2018-19 Kiss & Cry section is currently still open to all - I've updated my Scoretracker/Top Ten links there: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2018-u-s-club-competitions-scoretracker-updates.104024/

Didn't something similar happen with Skate Detroit last year? That was when Mirai debuted her SP and FS with her 3A. Maybe CCIA wanted to show that they were Alyssa first competition with her 3A.

Sylvia

TBD
Maybe CCIA wanted to show that they were Alyssa first competition with her 3A.
I've noticed over the years that the St. Moritz ISC is one of the clubs that has published club competition protocols more often than not... they were the host club of the CCIA comp. this year and Alysa (spelled with one 's') belongs to the St. Moritz ISC.

BTW, Alysa Liu is scheduled to compete again at the SoCal Interclub comp. this weekend in Paramount, CA; Starr Andrews and Akari Nakahara are also registered in Senior Ladies.

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
Even though she cannot compete on the JGP, is it known if Alyssa Liu is planning on going senior at Nationals as well (assuming she'd qualify), since she already won the Junior title (handily) last year?

Frida80

I've noticed over the years that the St. Moritz ISC is one of the clubs that has published club competition protocols more often than not... they were the host club of the CCIA comp. this year and Alysa (spelled with one 's') belongs to the St. Moritz ISC.

BTW, Alysa Liu is scheduled to compete again at the SoCal Interclub comp. this weekend in Paramount, CA; Starr Andrews and Akari Nakahara are also registered in Senior Ladies.

I have to get used to spelling her name, since there are two "Alysa's". It's always nice to see full protocols rather than summarized results. It gives you an idea of the skaters layout for the season.

Any word on who's competing in Broadmoor, yet?

Debbie S

Even though she cannot compete on the JGP, is it known if Alyssa Liu is planning on going senior at Nationals as well (assuming she'd qualify), since she already won the Junior title (handily) last year?
I read somewhere (article?) recently that she does plan to compete Senior nationally next year. I think she would do better to stay Junior, like Nathan did after winning the first time (and it didn't seem to hurt his development), but I can understand her team's reasoning.

Sylvia

TBD
I read somewhere (article?) recently that she does plan to compete Senior nationally next year.
Yes, in the SKATING magazine article (June/July issue, pages 38-39): http://content.digitalpub.blue-soho...SKATING/html/index.html?page=40&origin=reader
ETA that page 42 has a bit more about Alysa and her 3A at the Jump camp. She, Ting Cui and Emmy Ma were the female athlete assistants at the camp.

Alysa reportedly has kept her SP music (Spanish Flame) from last season and her FS to the film soundtrack of The Witches of Eastwick is choreographed by Cindy Stuart.
I have to get used to spelling her name, since there are two "Alysa's".
I'm blanking on the other Alysa?
Any word on who's competing in Broadmoor, yet?
The club never publishes their entries online and I usually don't hear anything until right before the comp. starts (I'll start a competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section and also cross-post any info I can find in my blog).

Last edited:

Frida80

Yes, in the SKATING magazine article (June/July issue, pages 38-39): http://content.digitalpub.blue-soho...SKATING/html/index.html?page=40&origin=reader

Alysa reportedly has kept her SP music (Spanish Flame) from last season and her FS to the film soundtrack of The Witches of Eastwick is choreographed by Cindy Stuart.

I'm blanking on the other Alysa?

The club never publishes their entries online and I usually don't hear anything until right before the comp. starts (I'll start a competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section and also cross-post any info I can find in my blog).
Well I thought a few years ago, Alyssa Rich was going places. She didn't have a great season last year. And there's always Alissa Czisny.

nimi

Alysa's CCIA videos now on YT!

SP: https://youtu.be/dxmiwb4Io-I (3A foot down around 0:45)

bits of warm-up + FS: https://youtu.be/pp5R-LrWOOQ (3A+2T around 1:30)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

aftershocks

Banned Member
triple axel in practice video (where athlete can repeat again & again until getting a good clip) = hype
triple axel in competition in the short & the long program = not hype

Sure it's not hype that Alysa can perform the 3-axel in competition (she's obviously still working on mastering it cleanly and consistently). Yet it's huge, unwieldy over-expectations for anyone to randomly claim she's the 'savior' of U.S. ladies skating, or somehow "the only hope" the U.S. has got in the ladies discipline.

Of course, Alysa is a talented up-and-comer to 'watch.' But at this stage, we should all simply try to enjoy and hold our horses re OTT superlatives and claims of 'saviorhood.'

Obviously, Alysa is very talented and quite impressive at this stage of her development. As far as making it to the top in figure skating, luck, timing and politics are always determining factors (beyond evident talent, training, coaching, competitive grit over the long term, etc).

Last edited:

Dobre

Sure it's not hype that Alysa can perform the 3-axel in competition. Yet it's huge, unwieldy over-expectations for anyone to randomly claim she's the 'savior' of U.S. ladies skating, or somehow "the only hope" the U.S. has got in the ladies discipline.

As a Nathan fan, this sounds oh-so-familiar. No one has been claiming Alysa is a savior or an only hope. People just seem to feel compelled to argue that she isn't. Why? Because she's bringing one of the hardest jumps in ladies' international skating to the table? Good for her. The reality is that she's the only novice/junior U.S. lady doing so nationally and not the only novice/junior lady doing so internationally. May there be many other U.S. ladies doing likewise or better. Then we can argue about how none of them are "saviors." Ironically, I would love to have that conversation. Someone has to lead the way. Mirai did it last year. Starr made the attempt. And now Alysa. It's a very good sign, and it's still nothing compared to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMz4A_OmxI4

I think most ladies skating fans--perhaps especially U.S. ladies skating fans--all know far better than to assume that the current top young athletes will be at the same level a year or two later. Alysa doesn't always get her rotations. She doesn't jump the highest of all the young U.S. ladies. She's plenty likely to grow, just like all the other young U.S. ladies. But let's celebrate what she's doing because it would sure be nice if it became the norm rather than the exception.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information