Golden Globes Red Carpet and Awards

Japanfan

Agree with that every time its brought up that no female or minority people are nominated for stuff. Its not the nominated (mans) fault they were nominated nor was it "their" decision that only men got nominated. Last time I checked, those nominations are voted on by dozens, or even hundreds, (perhaps thousands when talking Oscars level?) of people.

I think Hollywood pretty much remains an old boy's club.

skatingguy

decently
So forgive me, I don't follow this stuff too close. But it appears there are some actresses who accuse Oprah of being involved to help lure them to Harvey Weinstein. Also lots of pictures of Oprah and Weinstein being VERY cozy with each other over the years. And then there is Weinstein's accusation that Oprah called him all the time after the story broke, offering him support, which she denies. All of this fake news or where there is smoke there is fire?
I think it's been shown that Harvey Weinstein got himself in a position to be a friend of many powerful people and these photographs will continue to be source of embarrassment for them. I don't think Weinstein has much credibility and his statements about Oprah supporting him are from mid-October and there has been no public statement of support from Oprah, if anything quite the opposite.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just saw Oprah's speech. She needs to be POTUS. Everything that Trump isn't - articulate, intelligent, smart, savvy and compassionate.

And she may be the only person who is as famous as him on TV. He will lose that advantage.:)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Seriously, I thoight "Lady Bird" was former First Lady Johnson's biopic. Was a little bit confused to see it in musical/comedy section.

This movie was not about the First Lady LBJ. This is the name the girl took on, because she rebelled against the name her parents gave her. However, it was risky to use that in a movie title. IMO they should have used a different title, while keeping the content of the movie.

I was not that impressed with that movie, so I have no problem with Greta Gerwig not getting nominated for best director. I didn't care for her earlier work either (the movie with Annette Benning, and I love Annette ).

The directors who got nominated had done fantastic jobs- Chris Nolan (Duncan), Del Toro (Shape of water), the director of Three billboards, Spielberg for Post which is getting rave reviews, and the 5th nominated director (too lazy to look up names right now).

I dont want to see women directors nominated just because they are women. When Kathleen..... was nominated for Hurt Locker, she deserved it, and even won. Sophia Coppola and Barbra Streisand were aliso very good. I don't agree that there must be a woman or minority nominated in every category, no matter what. Last year many minorities were nominated because they got better opportunities and they did great with those.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Greta Gerwig has been winning or coming in second or third in Best Directors list among dozens of critics lists and awards with Jordan Peale so that’s why people were surprised by their omissions. They already had the critical backing. Also Gerwig did not direct 20th Century Women.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ok, I haven't listen to Alexandre Desplat's score of Shape of Water, and I do believe he did very solid work (he usually does), but IMO Dunkirk's soundtrack was just groundbreaking, it made 50% of the film.
Ok, I'll try to find "Shape" soundtrack and I will try to be unbiased...
Ugh.

Dunkirk soundtrack was phenomenal. It totally elevated the movie into a stratosphere. I liked Shape of water soundtrack also, and I almost always like Desplatt. I think Hans Zimmer should win this Oscar over Desplatt.

What may have hurt Dunkirk's chances in all categories, not just this, is the early release. It is the forgotten movie because many of the late releases are also very good.

I would also give the director nod to Chris Nolan over Del Toro, but only slightly. They were both great, and I have not yet seen The Post.

skatesindreams

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Greta Gerwig has been winning or coming in second or third in Best Directors list among dozens of critics lists and awards with Jordan Peale so that’s why people were surprised by their omissions. They already had the critical backing. Also Gerwig did not direct 20th Century Women.

Second or third may not be enough. There are many great jobs by many directors this year. I am not surprised that she didn't make the top five. However due to the bitching at the Golden Globes, Oscar may get pressured into giving her a nomination. I hate it when women are 'given' something just for being women.'

VGThuy

That's not the case here. Gerwig beat those same directors for those placements. And you're ignoring that she came in first with a great proportion of them if not the majority. The critics are hard group of people to impress, so if she makes it it's not because she's a woman but because she was in contention with the other 7-8 directors on the list. If second and third is not enough for her, then how is it enough for other directors who didn't even make the top 3 or even top 5? This is a very packed year. Of course the question becomes if it's packed and close, and we get five male directors again, was it just chance or was it because the Director's branch of the Academy still skew male. If Peale is left off as well, then race is added. Those are pertinent questions because this does become a matter of taste and we know these things do matter in subjective critiques of art. When Christopher Nolan was left out for The Dark Knight, Inception, and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo people brought up all sort of reasons, like the director's branch penchant for rewarding more auteur directors that more American guilds (like the Director's Guild) tends to ignore rather than films that are perceived genre films. If those questions are given legitimacy, then I don't see why not questions on how gender, age, and race play into Academy members perceive films.

skatingguy

decently
I dont want to see women directors nominated just because they are women. When Kathleen..... was nominated for Hurt Locker, she deserved it, and even won.
She didn't win the Golden Globe (her ex-husband did), the only female director to win a Golden Globe is Barbara Streisand in 1984.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
She didn't win the Golden Globe (her ex-husband did), the only female director to win a Golden Globe is Barbara Streisand in 1984.

She won the Oscar though.

It may be a matter of taste, but I didn't like Greta Gerwig's movie. I saw nothing exceptional as a director in it. Just a usual teenagers vs parents story, but Ronan was very good in it.

VGThuy

Breitbart will dedicate a 50-page photo spread of her and Weinstein and other men accused of sexual assault because NOW they care about sexual assault against women outside of Clinton.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Gold Derby odds for Best Director nominations.

I'd be surprised if Gerwig is not nominated. I believe Peele will be nominated, but he's on the cusp. Given Chazelle's success, I think age is becoming less of a factor. Although, I wouldn't describe Whiplash or La La Land as particularly youthful in direction.

I do think this might be the year for Nolan. He addressed a lot of the common critiques he receives, while still being faithful to his particular style.

Best dressed for me at the Globes: Margot Robbie, Tracee Ellis Ross, Noah Schnapp, Alicia Vikander, Millie Bobby Brown, Aziz Ansari.

ToFarAwayTimes

I know I'm being mean here but wtf did Kendall Jenner do to her face? She's in all of the Golden Globes pictures for some unqualified reasons. She was actually the only normal looking, attractive person in that whole trashy family, but now .... yikes.

Donald Trump is president and someone who looks like a blowup doll with bad skin is the top model in the world. What the hell is going on around here?

screech

I liked Seth as the host. Is there any network late night host who has not yet hosted a major awards show? (Kimmel, Colbert, Fallon, Corden, Meyers have all now done it)
Kirk Douglas, 101 years old, in a wheel chair
And with his own sexual assault allegations (he's rumoured to have raped Natalie Wood when she was a teenager)

I'm glad people love Oprah, but since I'm not one of them, this tribute isn't too interesting to me.
Me neither. I always hated her interviews, when she'd ask a question, then cut off the person she was talking to just so she could give her own opinion instead. Good speech, though.

The Director's Guild nominations are announced soon (this week, I think). Since the DGA awards started in 1948, there have been just 7 times (I believe, if I counted right on Wikipedia) that the winner has not won the Oscar. Most recently it was Ben Affleck, who surprisingly was not nominated for an Oscar for directing Argo.

The SAG awards are on the 21. Usually the best estimation of who will win the acting awards.

Enjoyed all the black, though I wish more women paired it with a brighter lipstick, though I loved seeing more accessories than usual.

Kudos to Sam Rockewell, but kind of thought it would go to Christopher Plummer (for filming All the Money in the World 3 weeks before its release as replacement for Kevin Spacey), or Armie Hammer, who's been getting a lot of props for Call Me By Your Name.

Loved that James Franco won. Once I got used to the accent, I loved The Disaster Artist, and thought he was absolutely brilliant in the part. Loved that he literally dragged his brother up on stage with him, and also that he mic-blocked Tommy Wiseau. I honestly think if not for Gary Oldman, this could possibly have been James' year for the Oscar. Of course, both of them have their own shady pasts (Apparently Gary physically assaulted his ex-wife, and James tried to pick up a 17 year old girl, trying convince her to go to a hotel with him, even knowing she was underage). If all these assault allegations had happened last year, I don't know if Casey Affleck would have won best actor at the Oscars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information