2021-2022 Film Award Season

VGThuy

I just watched this actor on actor between Penelope Cruz and Benedict Cumberbatch and it’s honestly one of the most enjoyable actor to actor conversations I’ve seen. There is an obvious mutual respect and knowledge of each other’s filmographies going on as they are speaking.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I just noticed that all but one of the nominees for Best Animated Feature Film use our company's software. So I guess I'll have to root for all of them?? Just kidding. I am rooting for The Mitchells vs. the Machines. It was a perfect movie. I recommend it to everyone. Along with Luca.

Stefanie

So excited for Belfast's nominations--hope they win at least one award! I agree with those who were hoping Balfe would have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress instead of Dench.

Integrity

So excited for Belfast's nominations--hope they win at least one award! I agree with those who were hoping Balfe would have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress instead of Dench.

I don't have many strong opinions just yet with the Olympics going on, but I hope supporting actor goes to Ciaran Hinds.

Jimena

I cry every time.

I want Encanto to win all the things. I see something new every time I watch it. I finally realized the significance of the ending.
Please do share. In spoiler tags, of course. I want to know what you realized.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Please do share. In spoiler tags, of course. I want to know what you realized.
At the end, the casita is Mirabel's room. The doorknob she was given was the same one , or very similar to, the one that faded when she tried to open the door for her power. At least, that’s what I think. This didn't click for me until my most recent rewatch. I didn’t realize that the M was for Mirabel. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen Encanto. 😄

Jimena

At the end, the casita is Mirabel's room. The doorknob she was given was the same one , or very similar to, the one that faded when she tried to open the door for her power. At least, that’s what I think. This didn't click for me until my most recent rewatch. I didn’t realize that the M was for Mirabel. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen Encanto. 😄
Yes, I got that too. :)

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
BAFTA awards ceremony is today (ETS that the winners will be published here afterwards):
The 75th EE British Academy Film Awards, or BAFTA Awards, will broadcast and stream on Sunday, starting at 7 p.m. GMT (11 a.m. PT).
Following last year’s virtual ceremony, this year’s BAFTA Awards will take place in person at London’s Royal Albert Hall with Rebel Wilson (“Isn’t It Romantic,” “Pitch Perfect”) set to host. The red carpet begins at 2 p.m. GMT (6 a.m. PT), and the ceremony starts at 5 p.m. GMT (9 a.m. PT). The ceremony broadcast will air a couple hours later, at 7 p.m. GMT (11 a.m. PT).
In the United Kingdom, the BAFTAs will be broadcast on BBC platforms. In the United States, Canada and South Africa, the ceremony will stream exclusively on Britbox — BBC Studios and ITV’s British programming-focused subscription service — at the same time as the U.K. broadcast.

Last edited:

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Forgot that the Critics Choice Awards were on Sunday night in Los Angeles (and London after the BAFTAs) - this article includes the winners & nominees:

VGThuy

It seems going into the Oscars, it still seems everyone’s game for most of the categories. Weird year where none of the BAFTA nominees for Best Actress matched the nominees for Best Actress at Oscar. Will Smith, Troy Kotsur, and Ariana DeBose seem to be the three most sure things, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some sort of upset on Oscar night. The Power of the Dog is the favorite for Best Pic but it’s not the runaway favorite and I can see a quiet sleeper rising at the right time taking it. It may be an exciting night.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Now that the Writer's Guild of America and Producer's Guild of America announced their choices, somehow, CODA became the favorite for the Best Picture category. I'm somewhat not totally convinced it's going to win, but it does have the most precursor support right now among the American industry given its wins at PGA and WGA. The Power of the Dog does have Director's Guild wins and other televised award wins. However, with this split, I'm wondering if another Parasite might happen and Drive My Car can drive it's way to the Best Picture finish line and take the prize.

As for Best Actress aka the five-way race:

Jessica Chastain won SAG while Kidman won GG (if it still has any influence these days), so people are looking at those two to take home the Best Actress award but something keeps telling me to not ignore Penelope Cruz and Olivia Colman, and to a lesser extent, Kristen Stewart.

Chastain has the most Oscar-friendly performance. Biopic, heavy transformative make-up, she gets to sing (her own voice and she's a good singer!), do an accent, plays a woman who ages decades, is larger-than-life, chews the scenery, etc. Kidman is a more restrained version of Chastain's performance (both have weird make-up jobs but it makes more sense and is much less distracting with Tammy Faye)...not quite sure if Kidman really got Lucy or Lucille but she did totally take command of Aaron Sorkin's over-written dialogue and she's truly skilled as an actress. So if those two win, it wouldn't be such a shock because they tick the boxes that we've come to expect for Oscar-winning roles. Chastain has the edge because it's a tour de force and it may be a make up for not winning for Zero Dark Thirty and then ignoring her for the rest of the decade after lead turn after lead turn. She made the industry a good amount of money and has had box office success while producing her own passion projects. I think the actor community appreciates Chastain and wants her to win since she never won before. However, some may like the sound of two-time Academy Award winner, Nicole Kidman.

All that said, I can't count out Olivia Colman and will never do so. She shockingly won the Oscar against Glenn Close when everything was in Close's favor (except for the fact that her movie wasn't well-received while Colman's had like ten Oscar nominations including Best Picture). Colman, as Queen Elizabeth II, "upset" Emma Corwin's audience-favorite turn as Princess Diana at the Emmys, and she has a ton of movies up the pipeline. She is on a hot streak. Also, I thought she was haunting and incredible in The Lost Daughter, a movie I'm still trying to figure out how I truly feel about while recognizing I loved Colman in it (especially in the second half). The industry and cinephiles obviously love Colman and never discount that love when the race is as close as it is right now.

While Penelope Cruz has not made any major award precursors at all (except for the Australian Academy), she won the Venice Film Festival award for Best Actress over a heavily-publicized Kristen Stewart in Spencer and won the highest critics' prizes. Word on the street is that Parallel Mothers has been playing in movie theaters in L.A. for three months straight now while other movies have come and gone and a lot of "secret ballots" have said they voted for Cruz. She'll be the international cinephile choice as she's not only an international star, highly respected by the cream of the crop of the film community, but she's in a Pedro Almodovar film. Some may love to pay tribute to their 7-film collaboration by giving her the award for an Almodovar film. Almodovar and Cruz are like the Cassavetes/Rowlands, Herzog/Kinski, Scorsese/De Niro, Bergman/Ullman, Ozu/Ryu and Hara, and Kurosawa/Mifune of our generation. For the pundits, her win will be fun because she'll be that rare Oscar winner who wins the Oscar without winning or even being nominated for any one of the major precursors that everybody looks at to predict the winner. The last time that happened was Marcia Gay Harden in Pollack when the Best Supporting Actress race was WIDE OPEN with no favorite whatsoever.

Of course, there's Kristen Stewart, who was thought to be unstoppable before award season started and then ended up missing SAG and BAFTA to look like she barely beat out Lady Gaga for a nomination as Spencer received no other nomination - not even Original Score which was thought to be a shoe in (thank goodness because that score overtook and dominated the film too much) and Best Costume which people thought would the film would get (the best costume was the photoshopped dress on the art poster that wasn't that good in the actual movie). However, she has PASSIONATE fans of her polarizing performance (she missed out on SAG and many SAG members came out of the wood work to defend the snub by publicly decrying her performance - which I agreed with). With that passion, she might end up taking it after all making the initial whispers that she has the Oscar in the bag ring true. However, passion matters more in the preferential voting system rather than simple one member-one vote and majority/plurality wins system. Still, you don't ignore a performance that has that many fans speaking out and battling it out for as long as they have, and it wouldn't be the first performance I totally did not get to win an Oscar. Sometimes award results are made just to spite me. :p

It's going to be exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information