2024 Academy Awards (Oscars) Red Carpet & Ceremony

ilovepaydays

I'm not liking the camera work during the In Memoriam at all.

Too much going on. Just show the screen and send on singers. Not the time for dance.

Me either. I couldn't even see the names. Sometimes I don't even know that person passed until the Memoriam section.

They also apparently left out a whole bunch of fairly well known people in the main section. Norman Lear, for example, just got a name flash.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
We have a public holiday here in Australia so was able to watch it. Although surprised how early it started. I just got home from out having breakfast and turned it on thinking they would be showing the red carpet.

My thoughts:
  • I enjoyed it. Didn't feel it dragged and I thought Kimmel did a good job as host.
  • I liked how there were 5 winners presenting the acting awards. Nice touch.
  • Not surprised by any of the winners. The two big movies (which I had seen) got the awards I thought they would.
  • John Cena presenting best costume my favourite moment - :biggrinbo:lol::swoon: Up there with Ben Stiller doing Avatar, Melissa McCarthy's The Favourite's costume with the bunnies and Steve Carrell and Kristen Wigg presenting Best Animation taking them back to their childhood memories.
  • I now want an Oscar's Stunt award. That was so cool. Particularly the last clip with the camera man on wires.
  • Ken - Anyone else got the tribute to Gentlemen Prefer Blondes? Loved it.
  • Emma Stone having a costume malfunction - I could have done a better job of sewing that zip in.
Overall I would give it 7/10.

skatfan

My TV guide has this ending at 10:30pm Eastern so they are a bit ahead of schedule
The Best Picture presentation was botched. They were supposed to introduce each of the films with clips. Presenter just opened the envelope with no suspense and said “I see Oppenheimer!??” At least it was the right movie?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
The Best Picture presentation was botched. They were supposed to introduce each of the films with clips. Presenter just opened the envelope with no suspense and said “I see Oppenheimer!??” At least it was the right movie?
Well Kimmel did get a La La Land joke about the envelope after Stone accepted her award.

Forgot to mention the Blunt/Gosling Barbieheimer feud. That was a good one. Love snarky Emily Blunt.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Just so we're all on the same page about what we're talking about here in terms of how hot Zendaya is. I could have picked any of the outfits she's worn for the Dune 2 premieres, or her red carpet looks this season.

Zendaya2-gty-ml-240226.jpg_1708962388428_hpEmbed_1x1.jpg
Zendaya has always been good looking, but that dress is awful. It looks like an ironic mashup of Melania Trump's modeling days and her first lady couture. I hope that was the intention and she's in on the joke.

I'm bummed for Lily Gladstone.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I enjoyed the Oscars but I was delayed due to watching a live sporting event. I think I am one of the few that was a bit blah about Oppenheimer it was ok but the highlight was the acting so good job to Cillean Murphy & Robert Downey Jnr. Barbie I liked slightly more but not blown away. But Poor things I thought was brilliant! Emma Stone was amazing so I was thrilled she won. Ken was my favourite performance of the night. Glad it didn’t drag too much although I did fast forward a bit.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I enjoyed the Oscars but I was delayed due to watching a live sporting event. I think I am one of the few that was a bit blah about Oppenheimer it was ok but the highlight was the acting so good job to Cillean Murphy & Robert Downey Jnr. Barbie I liked slightly more but not blown away. But Poor things I thought was brilliant! Emma Stone was amazing so I was thrilled she won. Ken was my favourite performance of the night. Glad it didn’t drag too much although I did fast forward a bit.
I presume you were watching the Brier :) I was following that on X via Devin Heroux's posts :)

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
No my daughter is the coach for Team Nunavut (speed skating) it was opening ceremonies of the Arctic Winter Games (Circumpolar countries & Territories) in Alaska. I wish Devin Heroux was there lol he’s good.
Ah yes, the Governor General is in Alaska for the Games. Good luck to Team Nunavut!

vgerdes

A few takeaways from last night:

Congrats to RDJ, Cillian, and Chris Nolan on being first-time winners. Barbie may have won the battle of the box office, but Oppenheimer won the Oscars. Even if Ryan Gosling did have the performance of the night. He was having so much fun, and brought the audience along for the ride. Fantastic.

Best presentation: John Cena. I laughed so hard. Also... damn that man has an amazing bod.

Happy that Billie and Finneas won Best Song. I thought "What Was I Made For" was the best of the five nominees, although it was a very good list this year overall.

Loves_Shizuka

I'm very happy for Da'Vine Joy Randolph, she was fabulous in The Holdovers.

Also very pleased Zone of Interest won a couple, especially for sound. Wish Sandra Huller had won something.

I haven't caught Oppenheimer yet - I've heard such mixed reviews from those I know who've seen it - but I'm really happy for Cillian Murphy regardless.

What happened when Emma Stone accepted her award? It looked like she kinda took it off Michelle Yeoh - but then gave it to Jennifer Lawrence for some reason? :confused:

Last edited:

nylynnr

Allskate

The Take did this very good analysis about why Bradley Cooper’s latest Oscar campaign went wrong - and why Cillian Murphy’s (as well as others) went right.

I don't think the Academy turned on Cooper. IMO, he was lucky to be nominated for the film, the acting, and the screenplay. Honestly, I didn't think Maestro was very good. (I didn't love Oppenheimer, but I thought it was significantly better than Maestro.) And I thought Carey Mulligan was much better than Cooper was.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I never understand how the Academy decides which members to honor, and which to exclude. One year they left out actress Dorothy Malone, who won an Oscar. This year Burt Young was only included in the name scroll, and he was nominated for an Oscar. It seems arbitrary.
I got the impression- because it was poorly displayed and no one could read it and had a lot of big names missing - the.push was to go to the QR code where everyone was listed.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Zendaya has always been good looking, but that dress is awful. It looks like an ironic mashup of Melania Trump's modeling days and her first lady couture. I hope that was the intention and she's in on the joke.

Thank you. I saw lots of praise for that dress and I also thought it was terrible.

screech

It would be great if Bradley would focus on just 1-2 roles for a movie instead of 4-5. I think his over-eagerness is exhausting to some people. It even makes Leo's desperation to win look very tame. He can write the script and produce one. Or just act and produce. No need to do absolutely everything. He's not Orson Welles.

It seems I'm one of the few who was expecting Emma's win. What solidified it for me is that despite winning a Globe (so did Emma) and the SAG, Emma won the Critic's Choice, and Lily wasn't even nominated for the BAFTA, which also has some cross-over with Oscar voters. And the last Yorgos film also had an 'upset' win for lead actress - Olivia Colman.

ilovepaydays

Just had to add that the John Mulaney bit about Field of Dreams was hysterical. That's one of my favorite movies that I watch whenever I see its on TV. And he was so right about everything! :rofl: :rofl:

John Mulaney absolutely needs to host an Oscars sometime in the future. I’ve already posted about what I thought about Jimmy Kimmel’s performance last night and how overall 😴 it was.

I don't think the Academy turned on Cooper. IMO, he was lucky to be nominated for the film, the acting, and the screenplay. Honestly, I didn't think Maestro was very good. (I didn't love Oppenheimer, but I thought it was significantly better than Maestro.) And I thought Carey Mulligan was much better than Cooper was.

I thought that Maestro could have been a much better biopic if it hadn’t reeked of Cooper’s “This is going to give me MY OSCAR!!!!!!!”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information