94th Annual Academy Awards Thread

Cachoo

Smith should not be invited back next year to present the best actress Oscar. I’d let him keep the Oscar though. He also should be charged with battery.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Will Smith's career crisis aside, I'm thrilled that Jessica Chastain won Best Actress for The Eyes Of Tammy Faye.

I've seen King Richard and Tick, Tick...Boom, and thought that Andrew Garfield's performance was the clear winner here.

Smith's performance, while very good, felt like a one-note pole dance.

screech

Will Smith's career crisis aside, I'm thrilled that Jessica Chastain won Best Actress for The Eyes Of Tammy Faye.

I've seen King Richard and Tick, Tick...Boom, and thought that Andrew Garfield's performance was the clear winner here.

Smith's performance, while very good, felt like a one-note pole dance.
In all the predictions I saw in the lead-up to the awards, even aside from him winning all the other major associations, it was pretty clear that Will was the frontrunner, though 1, 2, 3 was usually some combination of him, Benedict and Andrew (Javier and Denzel were pretty much always 4th and 5th)
Though with Zack Snyder winning all the fan polls at the Oscars, maybe it's just that the Oscars are pro-DC (Will was in Suicide Squad) and anti-Marvel (Beanpole Cumquat is Dr. Strange and Andrew is/was Spider-Man).

VGThuy

I love those fan polls because ABC did it in a desperate bid to get people to tune in and its owner's rivals or some zombie movie most people never heard of ended up topping the polls. I wonder if Disney will change the results of those polls next year to make sure one of their movies comes out on top.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But did he actually know she had a medical condition? J
Does it matter? When you goof up and hurt someone, you apologize. You can say you didn't know and if you had you wouldn't have said it. But that, in the future you will be more careful and not make comments about people's bald heads if you don't know the circumstances.

What bothers me the most is that I bet Will thought he would get away with it.
Honestly, I doubt he was thinking at all.

He made the comment in public so an apology should come the same way.
Yes. He should also reach out to Jada privately. Do both.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't know. I tend to think public apologies are more theater than sincere.
They can be. But think about if you were a woman with alopecia and you saw what happened. Wouldn't you like to know that Chris Rock had learned his lesson and was sorry? I would.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
In all the predictions I saw in the lead-up to the awards, even aside from him winning all the other major associations, it was pretty clear that Will was the frontrunner, though 1, 2, 3 was usually some combination of him, Benedict and Andrew (Javier and Denzel were pretty much always 4th and 5th)
Though with Zack Snyder winning all the fan polls at the Oscars, maybe it's just that the Oscars are pro-DC (Will was in Suicide Squad) and anti-Marvel (Beanpole Cumquat is Dr. Strange and Andrew is/was Spider-Man).
The DC movies and Army of the Dead got so high in the Twitter polls because Zack Snyder directed them and he has a very enthusiastic group of Twitter fans. Cinderella was because people thought the whole fan favourite movie thing was ridiculous and decided to troll the Academy and there was a Johnny Depp movie in there somewhere too which was because of his overly enthusiastic Twitter fans.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
FWIW a couple of months ago I started reading Smith's autobiography. It starts out with a really sad story about him as a kid seeing his dad hitting his mom and him being too scared to step in and protect his mom, and regretting that to this day.

But then it shifted into this theme of, I am strong, I have worked hard, and I'm going to show you how I did it so you can improve yourself too. It was more like a self-help book, and I gave up at that point. I wanted to learn more about his life, not get a motivational lecture.

It was a really odd approach for a celebrity autobiography. It's his book, so he can write it however he wants, but I remember wondering at the time whether he was tone-deaf to what these books are usually like, or if he insisted on doing it this way against more experienced advice. Either way, it was unusual.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Jay42 thanks for explaining that. I was sitting on my couch going "That is one of the best movie moments ever? Oh come on." Although the WWE fan in me was thrilled to see a clip with Dave Bautista in it at the Oscars :lol:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
@Jay42 thanks for explaining that. I was sitting on my couch going "That is one of the best movie moments ever? Oh come on." Although the WWE fan in me was thrilled to see a clip with Dave Bautista in it at the Oscars :lol:
I mean Dave Bautista has managed to turn himself into a pretty decent actor. My brother told me he took lessons when he got cast in Guardians of the Galaxy because he wanted to do a good job. I'm excited to see him in the Knives Out sequel.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't think anyone takes these online polls very seriously, including the Academy and ABC. It's about engagement more than results.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

FWIW a couple of months ago I started reading Smith's autobiography. It starts out with a really sad story about him as a kid seeing his dad hitting his mom and him being too scared to step in and protect his mom, and regretting that to this day.

But then it shifted into this theme of, I am strong, I have worked hard, and I'm going to show you how I did it so you can improve yourself too. It was more like a self-help book, and I gave up at that point. I wanted to learn more about his life, not get a motivational lecture.

It was a really odd approach for a celebrity autobiography. It's his book, so he can write it however he wants, but I remember wondering at the time whether he was tone-deaf to what these books are usually like, or if he insisted on doing it this way against more experienced advice. Either way, it was unusual.
If you want to read a gripping autobiography, I would go no further than Carol Burnett's book, One More Time.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I mean Dave Bautista has managed to turn himself into a pretty decent actor. My brother told me he took lessons when he got cast in Guardians of the Galaxy because he wanted to do a good job. I'm excited to see him in the Knives Out sequel.

He was really good when he started in WWE. He was "Deacon Bautista" and was the sideman to a tag team that did kind of an evangelist/revival meeting gimmick. He would go around to the audience and shake the donation box and look threateningly at them until they "donated". But then unfortunately he got stuck with writers who slotted him into just being a muscleman. They never used his potential. I thought he was great in Guardians.

quartz

scratching at the light

Yep, Will’s book is in our Well Being/Self Help section, which now, seems rather sad and twisted.

screech

Continuing on his classiness, apparently an audience member at his comedy show was cussing out Will Smith, and Chris shut that down.

Also, the Oscars producer talked about what happened with the LAPD at the awards. LAPD was ready to arrest Will for battery (the word they used at the moment), saying they were prepared to get him, but as they were talking Chris was saying no.

screech

I'm already annoyed with the Oscars producer who keeps talking about it.

“I knew it was clearly a confrontational moment because of what was happening from Will in the audience, but I still wasn’t sure that he actually struck him,” he continued. “I made that clear, like, Rock, you tell me, whatever you want to do, brother, and he was telling me, I’m fine.”

[Packer] said he didn’t speak with the King Richard actor after it happened, but approached Academy leadership at the show to convey that Chris didn’t want him removed.

He said “That was Chris’ energy. His tone was not retaliatory, it was not angry, so I was advocating what Rock wanted in that time which was not to physically remove Will Smith at that time because as it has now been explained to me, that was the only option at that point.”

He's saying Chris didn't want Will removed (which I believe), but nothing in the statement shows Chris actually saying he wanted Will to stay, Packer apparently just went off of Chris 'energy'.

Gotta love Daniel Radcliffe's response when asked his opinion on what happened. He said ""I saw it. I'm just so already dramatically bored of hearing people's opinions about it that I just don't want to be another opinion adding to it."

Allskate

He's saying Chris didn't want Will removed (which I believe), but nothing in the statement shows Chris actually saying he wanted Will to stay, Packer apparently just went off of Chris 'energy'.

IMO, it doesn't matter if Chris wanted to press charges or asked for him to be removed or to stay. And it doesn't matter if he made the decision not to press charges because he was afraid of the repercussions for him. What Will did was illegal and adversely affected Chris, the nominees, the winners, the hosts, and more. It sent a terrible message, and the Academy's failure to respond well (and continuing failures) sends a terrible message.

A victim does not have to choose to press charges for a criminal to be arrested and prosecuted, much less removed. In many cases, whether someone presses charges is an issue because there may be a he said/she said situation and the victim's statement is necessary evidence. Here, though, everything was caught on camera and there were countless witnesses. It's ridiculous for anyone at the Academy to essentially blame Chris for how they responded.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
IMO, it doesn't matter if Chris wanted to press charges or asked for him to be removed or to stay. And it doesn't matter if he made the decision not to press charges because he was afraid of the repercussions for him. What Will did was illegal and adversely affected Chris, the nominees, the winners, the hosts, and more. It sent a terrible message, and the Academy's failure to respond well (and continuing failures) sends a terrible message.

A victim does not have to choose to press charges for a criminal to be arrested and prosecuted, much less removed. In many cases, whether someone presses charges is an issue because there may be a he said/she said situation and the victim's statement is necessary evidence. Here, though, everything was caught on camera and there were countless witnesses. It's ridiculous for anyone at the Academy to essentially blame Chris for how they responded.
It sends a very clear message. One that is crystal clear to the American public at large. And it dovetails into and solidifies a growing belief that the elite classes do NOT have to follow the same rules as the rest of America (and that's a sentiment that cuts across many socio-economic groups). Let them continue to stumble and ruin their credibility.

LeafOnTheWind

I loved him with Jodie Foster in Hotel Artemis. I was falling asleep during Dune so I'm going to have to rewatch it when I'm actually awake enough. I completely missed Dave Bautista in that. And also now looking forward to the Knives Out sequel that I'm just now learning about. Loved the first one.

Allskate

Unfortunately, I think the message sent and received by some people is that violence is okay as long as you are "protecting" your honor or the honor of your woman. There are a lot of stand-up comics who are very concerned. If Chris Rock, who is a very famous comic, can be assaulted with impunity, then none of them are going to feel safe.

Allskate

Will Smith has resigned from the Academy
I think it's pretty obvious that he resigned because he believed it was better than being expelled.

Perhaps Packer should go, too. He didn't deal well with it the situation on Sunday and does not seem candid about what happened with regard to why Will was allowed to stay. It's also a total copout to suggest that it was Chris Rock's decision to let him stay. Putting aside the fact that Rock's team seems to dispute that, it wasn't Rock's call. The AMPAS President and CEO aren't looking great, either.

Parsley Sage

I think it's pretty obvious that he resigned because he believed it was better than being expelled.

Perhaps Packer should go, too. He didn't deal well with it the situation on Sunday and does not seem candid about what happened with regard to why Will was allowed to stay. It's also a total copout to suggest that it was Chris Rock's decision to let him stay. Putting aside the fact that Rock's team seems to dispute that, it wasn't Rock's call. The AMPAS President and CEO aren't looking great, either.
Packer was hired to produce the show this year. He'd be on contract and I don't see him being asked back for next year. The terms of the President and CEO are ending shortly as well.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Packer was hired to produce the show this year. He'd be on contract and I don't see him being asked back for next year. The terms of the President and CEO are ending shortly as well.

Packer is a very experienced film and TV producer and director, and he's Black. The Academy may want to bring him back because it wants to look diverse.

His productions as listed in Wiki look like he doesn't have a lot of experience with live TV. That's one of those skills that most people learn by doing, but it must have been a huge learning curve to take on a show that prestigious and widely watched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information