2021-2022 Film Award Season

jenny12

A lot of people thought a few people in House of Gucci were laughable, but some people seemed to like it for that reason, lol. Gaga's been campaigning hard for it

I saw a post that said “How do you nominate House of Gucci for ensemble when each member of the ensemble is acting like they’re in a different film?” 😂

VGThuy

I saw a post that said “How do you nominate House of Gucci for ensemble when each member of the ensemble is acting like they’re in a different film?” 😂
I saw a funny tweet some weeks ago where someone is like Gaga goes on about all the work and trauma she went through to prepare for her role in Gucci and then you watch it and it's just "Ok, I make da Pizza."

Seerek

Jennifer Hudson's chances for a BA nomination have improved somewhat with this SAG nomination.

VGThuy

Jennifer Hudson's chances for a BA nomination have improved somewhat with this SAG nomination.
Yeah. She was also nominated at the AACTA (Australian Oscars who have some membership overlap with the Oscars). Her making the BAFTA Longlist helps her chances as well although BAFTA has become less of a predictor with Oscar since they adopted a nominating jury system as opposed to allowing the entire membership to vote for nominees like they did in the past. However, BAFTA did predict McDormand's win last year and it was telling that Carey Mulligan got snubbed at BAFTA as well, which showed she didn't have as much support to win. Viola Davis won SAG but once SAG joined with AFTRA, it became less accurate in predicting Oscar winners as it has gone for more populist choices, but it's better than most precursors as it shows who has industry support.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have not seen a single movie this year. Looks like Belfast, WSS and Power of the Dog May be worth seeing.
Really enjoyed WSS.

Golden Globe winners in case anyone still cares about them given all the corruption and such that came out about them that cost them a television contract, a number of members, and influence:
Speaking of which, this article about the Globes crossed my social media feed.

VGThuy

I was thinking about actors who have won the Triple Crown of Acting (American version) which includes an Oscar, a Tony, and an Emmy (acting categories only), but I was wondering how many actors have all three of the major European Film Festival Awards (Cannes, Venice, and Berlin).

Apparently, only Juliette Binoche, Jack Lemmon, Julianne Moore, and Sean Penn have won all three.

Then I started thinking about who was still alive and have two of the three. Right now I looked up actresses and so far, I've been told:

Jane Fonda, Shirley MacLaine (she won Venice and Berlin twice), Isabelle Huppert, Charlotte Rampling, Vanessa Redgrave (one Cannes twice), Holly Hunter, Helen Mirren, Meryl Steep, and Penelope Cruz. I need to look up actors later.

Last edited:

Rob

Beach Bum
Ariana DeBose is probably the most successful So You Think You Can Dance alum, She won a golden globe, she’s hosting Saturday Night Live, she was nominated for Tony for the Donna Summer musical, and she’s probably getting an Oscar nomination. I remember when she was eliminated 1st from the top 20 on season 6, Way too early.

PatChan4O

Where are the televised Awards shows (other than the Oscars)? Seems most years there are several. Still to come? Canceled?

VGThuy

Where are the televised Awards shows (other than the Oscars)? Seems most years there are several. Still to come? Canceled?
The [Broadcast] Critics' Choice postponed (they probably want their winners to try to match up to Oscar as much as possible and without the Golden Globes being broadcast they are unsure how to proceed, LMAO. SAG is on February 27th, the Independent Film Awards is March 6, BAFTA is on March 13 as is the Critics' Choice, and the Oscars are March 27, 2022.

Integrity

94th annual Academy Awards Nominations:

BEST PICTURE

Belfast
CODA
Don’t Look Up
Drive My Car
Dune
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story

BEST DIRECTOR
Paul Thomas Anderson (Licorice Pizza)
Kenneth Branagh (Belfast)
Jane Campion (The Power of the Dog)
Steven Spielberg (West Side Story)
Ryûsuke Hamaguchi (Drive My Car)

BEST ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)
Olivia Colman (The Lost Daughter)
Penélope Cruz (Parallel Mothers)
Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos)
Kristen Stewart (Spencer)

BEST ACTOR
Javier Bardem (Being the Ricardos)
Benedict Cumberbatch (The Power of the Dog)
Andrew Garfield (Tick, Tick … Boom!)
Will Smith (King Richard)
Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jessie Buckley (The Lost Daughter)
Ariana DeBose (West Side Story)
Judi Dench (Belfast)
Kirsten Dunst (The Power of the Dog)
Aunjanue Ellis (King Richard)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ciarán Hinds (Belfast)
Troy Kotsur (CODA)
Jesse Plemons (The Power of the Dog)
J.K. Simmons (Being the Ricardos)
Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Power of the Dog)

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Cruella (Jenny Beavan)
Cyrano (Massimo Cantini Parrini)
Dune (Jacqueline West)
Nightmare Alley (Luis Sequeira)
West Side Story (Paul Tazewell)

BEST SOUND
Belfast
Dune
No Time to Die
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Don’t Look Up (Nicholas Britell)
Dune (Hans Zimmer)
Encanto (Germaine Franco)
Parallel Mothers (Alberto Iglesias)
The Power of the Dog (Jonny Greenwood)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
CODA (Sian Heder)
Drive My Car (Ryusuke Hamaguchi & Takamasa Oe)
Dune (Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts & Denis Villeneuve)
The Lost Daughter (Maggie Gyllenhaal)
The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Belfast (Kenneth Branagh)
Don’t Look Up (Adam McKay & David Sirota)
Licorice Pizza (Paul Thomas Anderson)
King Richard (Zach Baylin)
The Worst Person in the World (Eskil Vogt, Joachim Trier)

BEST ANIMATED SHORT
Affairs of the Art
Bestia
Boxballet
Robin Robin
The Windshield Wiper

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT
Ala Kachuu — Take and Run
The Dress
The Long Goodbye
On My Mind
Please Hold

BEST FILM EDITING
Don’t Look Up (Hank Corwin)
Dune (Joe Walker)
King Richard (Pamela Martin)
The Power of the Dog (Peter Sciberras)
Tick, Tick… Boom! (Myron Kerstein & Andrew Weisblum)

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
House of Gucci
Coming 2 America
Cruella
Dune

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Encanto
Flee
Luca
The Mitchells vs. The Machines
Raya and the Last Dragon

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Ascension
Attica
Flee
Summer of Soul
Writing With Fire

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT
Audible
Lead Me Home
The Queen of Basketball
Three Songs for Benazir
When We Were Bullies

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Be Alive” — Beyoncé Knowles-Carter & Darius Scott (King Richard)
“Dos Oruguitas” — Lin-Manuel Miranda (Encanto)
“Down to Joy” — Van Morrison (Belfast)
“No Time to Die” — Billie Eilish & Finneas O’Connell (No Time to Die)
“Somehow You Do” — Diane Warren (Four Good Days)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Dune (Greig Fraser)
Nightmare Alley (Dan Lausten)
The Power of the Dog (Ari Wegner)
The Tragedy of Macbeth (Bruno Delbonnel)
West Side Story (Janusz Kaminski)

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE
Drive My Car (Japan)
Flee (Denmark)
The Hand of God (Italy)
Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom (Bhutan)
The Worst Person in the World (Norway)

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Dune (Zsuzsanna Sipos & Patrice Vermette)
Nightmare Alley (Tamara Deverell & Shane Vieau)
The Power of the Dog (Grant Major & Amber Richards)
The Tragedy of Macbeth (Stefan Dechant & Nancy Haigh)
West Side Story (Rena DeAngelo & Adam Stockhausen)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Dune
Free Guy
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
No Time to Die
Spider-Man: No Way Home

I have three more movies to see before I can choose a personal favorite.

VGThuy

I am ecstatic about Penelope Cruz’s nomination and the love The Power of the Dog, West Side Story, and Drive My Car received. Lady Gaga surprise snub but I bet she annoyed so many actors in the actors’ branch with her antics during her campaign.

VGThuy

I’m a bit upset about Negga and felt Balfe was the stronger supporting actress in Belfast, and felt Don’t Look Up received an undeserved screenplay and picture nod but other than that, I’m good. I would complain about Stewart’s nomination but I already expected it to happen and I’m too happy with Chastain‘s and Cruz’s inclusions that I’m ok with it. Best Actress will be exciting because the precursors were all over the place. Kidman might be a front runner but she’s not a strong one. Anyone can take it.

jenny12

Overall this seems to be a fine list. I’m usually whining a lot more.

Agreed. While I might have my personal preferences, there really wasn’t anything ridiculous done.

But I agree with VGThuy that Negga and Balfe deserved to be in. Judi Dench over Balfe is a bit disappointing for me but considering the Academy gave Dench an award for like two minutes of work back in the day, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

VGThuy

Agreed. While I might have my personal preferences, there really wasn’t anything ridiculous done.

But I agree with VGThuy that Negga and Balfe deserved to be in. Judi Dench over Balfe is a bit disappointing for me but considering the Academy gave Dench an award for like two minutes of work back in the day, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.
Never underestimate the Academy love for the Dench haha.

Seerek

I'm surprised (in a good way) of The Lost Daughter nominations - I had thought the Academy were somewhat moving away from the "creepy vibe" movies such as this one end up being.

ETA: disappointed for Nina Arianda and Emilia Jones, but don't think either were being pushed much compared to their costars.

Last edited:

orbitz

I think it's good for Ariana DeBose that Rita Moreno wasn't also nominated for BSA. They would split the votes, and I think it would favor Rita anyway. It would have been cool and historical if Rita had been also nominated though.

I like Kirsten Dunst. Is this her 1st nomination?

Nicole Kidman ... eh. I just can't get past her face whenever I see her on the screen.

VGThuy

I like Kirsten Dunst. Is this her 1st nomination?
It is! She should have been nominated for Melancholia IMO. I also loved her work in Marie Antoinette and The Virgin Suicides. I heard she was award worthy in Interview with a Vampire and was incredible in the tv series Fargo, but I still haven’t seen those yet.

Dunst, Jessie Plemmons, and Buckley all have the distinction of being first time nominees after doing Charlie Kauffman vehicles and being in the tv show Fargo.

I read that Kristen Stewart is the second actor to be nominated from Twilight after Anna Kendrick.

Colman, Cruz, and Kidman are all one-time Oscar winners with 3, 4, and 5 nominations respectively. Stewart is the only first time nominee. I read Best Actor is full of Oscar nominees for the first time since 1981.

Cruz/Bardem and Plemmons/Dunst are the first time two married couples are nominated in acting categories. Funny enough both are nominated in the same categories of their respective genders.

If Kidman and Cruz faced off like this twenty years ago, the media would have had a field day with the whole Tom Cruise situation.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Yes! I don’t remember a Disney song using such a beautiful extended metaphor within the lyrics. And what a voice from Sebastian Yatra!
I cry every time.

I want Encanto to win all the things. I see something new every time I watch it. I finally realized the significance of the ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information