Golden Globes Red Carpet and Awards

VGThuy

Natalie Portman saying "all male nominees". Wow. Justice for Greta Gerwig!

The directors all looked pissed afterwards except for Stephen Spielberg who was just enjoying himself.

ToFarAwayTimes

Natalie Portman saying "all male nominees". Wow. Justice for Greta Gerwig!

The directors all looked pissed afterwards except for Stephen Spielberg who was just enjoying himself.

It's not the directors' fault if there are no female nominees, and it's their moment being ruined. Seems like a case of "good point, wrong time".

VGThuy

It's not the directors' fault if there are no female nominees, and it's their moment being ruined. Seems like a case of "good point, wrong time".

Good point. Plus, she's basically saying they all don't deserve their nominations. Although I'm sure they read all about that when the nominees were announced and both Jordan Peele and Greta Gerwig were left out.

BaileyCatts

Agree with that every time its brought up that no female or minority people are nominated for stuff. Its not the nominated (mans) fault they were nominated nor was it "their" decision that only men got nominated. Last time I checked, those nominations are voted on by dozens, or even hundreds, (perhaps thousands when talking Oscars level?) of people.

VGThuy

This is Gary Oldman's year. He's never won before. Only nominated for one previous Oscar. Playing Winston Churchill. It's like the Awards formula right there.

VGThuy

This is the first Frances McDormand won. When she was up for Fargo she lost to Madonna for Evita.

Wow, she threw shades at the Hollywood Foreign Press while giving them props haha.

BaileyCatts

uhm ... are people cussin' up a storm in their speeches and getting bleeped or is there an audio problem? :shuffle: My TV is behind me while I'm at computer and I keep hearing silence.

VGThuy

Three Billboards wins Best Drama over The Shape of Water. Is Best Director just going to be a category for technical achievement by male auteurs while Best Picture going to smaller movies? That seems to be the trend in the past 2 years.

VGThuy

uhm ... are people cussin' up a storm in their speeches and getting bleeped or is there an audio problem? :shuffle: My TV is behind me while I'm at computer and I keep hearing silence.

It was Frances McDormand who gave no sh*ts. :lol:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Three billboards cleans the house. Not my favorite movie but I can understand why they love it.

Allskate

hm ... are people cussin' up a storm in their speeches and getting bleeped or is there an audio problem? :shuffle: My TV is behind me while I'm at computer and I keep hearing silence.

That only happened to me during Frances McDormand's speech, so maybe she was cursing?

I haven't seen "Three Billboards," so I don't know how it compares to the "The Shape of Water." "The Shape of Water" isn't the type of movie I ordinarily would choose to see -- love stories involving aliens aren't really my thing -- so I didn't love it. But, there's no denying it was very well-made and the acting was superb. I don't think the award was just because of technical achievement, though they certainly did a good job creating the alien and the cinematography really was wonderful. If you haven't seen the movie, don't think of it as just an alien movie. It's very emotional and engaging, often in subtle ways. Sally Hawkins does such a great job.

BaileyCatts

That only happened to me during Frances McDormand's speech, so maybe she was cursing?.

Thanks. Must be my cable then because I've been hearing a lot more 'silence breaks' all night than that one time. I wish I could rearrange my room so I can see the TV while on my computer. :lol:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My favorites didn't win but it's ok.

My favorite movies up till now are Dunkirk and The shape of water. The latter did win the best director and musical score.

I was not blown away by Three billboards. It's good, but not great in my book. Violence, blood, gore don't make a movie better for me.

All the actresses were phenomenal this year. Any of the nominees would have been a deserving winner.

SAG may give a better indication of the front runner. Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep were not even nominated for SAG.

I least care about Lady Bird as a movie, but Saoirse Ronan deserved her acting award.

I still have to see many of the nominated movies.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I love Frances McDormand and Saoirse Ronan, the Oscars are going to be stressful for me :lol:.
I really need to watch The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, but I have a ton of TV stuff I fell behind on during the Christmas season because of work so it might be a bit before I can.

I can't with Elisabeth Moss, regardless of how good she might be in The Handmaids Tale, she's still a Scientologist.

ETA: I forgot to mention, super happy for Sam Rockwell, I've been a fan of his for ages but he's always seemed kind of underrated. It's nice to see him get some recognition.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
ETA: I forgot to mention, super happy for Sam Rockwell, I've been a fan of his for ages but he's always seemed kind of underrated. It's nice to see him get some recognition.
He was really good in Three Billboards. Best thing he has done.

ToFarAwayTimes

So forgive me, I don't follow this stuff too close. But it appears there are some actresses who accuse Oprah of being involved to help lure them to Harvey Weinstein. Also lots of pictures of Oprah and Weinstein being VERY cozy with each other over the years. And then there is Weinstein's accusation that Oprah called him all the time after the story broke, offering him support, which she denies. All of this fake news or where there is smoke there is fire?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Just saw Oprah's speech. She needs to be POTUS. Everything that Trump isn't - articulate, intelligent, smart, savvy and compassionate.

Daena

Ok, I haven't listen to Alexandre Desplat's score of Shape of Water, and I do believe he did very solid work (he usually does), but IMO Dunkirk's soundtrack was just groundbreaking, it made 50% of the film.
Ok, I'll try to find "Shape" soundtrack and I will try to be unbiased...
Ugh.

Daena

Seriously, I thoight "Lady Bird" was former First Lady Johnson's biopic. Was a little bit confused to see it in musical/comedy section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information