Status
Not open for further replies.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
We’ve been waiting years... I wonder if she ever does clean longs in practice or if her competitive performances are reflective of what she does when practicing.
In the past she has had amazing practices. The problem is always on the day of. It's completely mental.

Sylvia

TBD
Reviving this prediction post ;):
If Mariah can earn 215+, she’ll be in Grand Prix medal position. ... Realistically, I think a Short score of 72+ and Long of 142+ is very doable if she can be squeaky clean with positive GOEs across the board. We’ll see how much she’s improved by November.
142.64 (FS) and 212.89 (total) are both ISU personal bests for Mariah. She was credited today with landing 6 triples cleanly; her final 3Lz was called <. She received all level 4s on her spins and footwork.

For those who may have missed seeing this earlier in the thread:
Golden Skate interview by @Eislauffan with Mariah after she won the gold at Nebelhorn:
Adam Rippon is listed for the first time as part of her coaching team this season and she explains his role during this interview, among other things.

NBC is blocking videos in the U.S.; their GP France broadcast is scheduled for tomorrow. Sunday 11/3, from 4–6 pm Eastern time (check your local listings; some us in the States will "fall back" one hour overnight).

alexikeguchi

Adam Rippon is listed for the first time as part of her coaching team this season and she explains his role during this interview, among other things.
She emphasized in that interview how he helps her train for when she's exhausted or not feeling her best, so I can really see his influence in her much improved consistency. She seems a little like a female version of Adam; she doesn't have the most earth shattering technical content but what she does is packaged and delivered beautifully. I really enjoy her skating, and more important, she looks like she really enjoys her skating.

S

SmallFairy

Mariah makes all her programs really come alive! She skates with genuine joy and passion, she lits up the rink. I’m a huge fan, she just make me so happy when she skates. Congrats to two great programs in Grenoble Bunny Girl :cheer2:

sk8nlizard

I said it in the competition thread but the thing I enjoy most about Mariah’s skating is she seems happy to be skating. Many skaters look terrified (I get it, competition nerves can be terrible) or like they would rather be anywhere but on the ice but Mariah seems to love what she’s doing. It makes her endearing to me and I also appreciate that she continues to improve even when she is considered “older” for skaters.

mtnskater

Woo hoo Mariah!!! :cheer2::summer::biggrinbo

I remained unspoiled all day and was prepared for Mariah to make a mistake or two. Boy did she prove me wrong...and boy am I glad! She should be so proud of herself! I love watching her skating and this is a beautiful program to showcase it. To get on the podium here in this deep field was a great accomplishment for her.

Now, I wonder what Artunian could do for Starr!!!???

Spun Silver

^ Starr skated beautifully today. She did look slow in her footwork section. I too was wondering if she could change coaches to get to the next level, but truly she's progressed a lot in the last year with her current coach, Derrick Delmore. She seems to have all the talent to be the next great US skater - I hope he can get her there!

SkateFanBerlin

I thought it was possible for Bell to beat all but Kos. But, I was expecting inconsistencies. This was a successful skate for her. Her GOE's crept up a little. She was almost completely rotated. The only thing was her speed. I worried she wouldn't have enough energy to get the jumps.

oleada

Mariah was so beautiful yesterday. I would’ve had her second overall. I thought her jumps were so much more secure looking than they had been in the past. She has become my favorite US lady and I wish she would with the title come January (yes, Alysa Liu, Bradie etc; no, I don’t care).

^ Starr skated beautifully today. She did look slow in her footwork section. I too was wondering if she could change coaches to get to the next level, but truly she's progressed a lot in the last year with her current coach, Derrick Delmore. She seems to have all the talent to be the next great US skater - I hope he can get her there!

Her basics have improved but I think it will be hard for her until she can start landing the 3Lz and 3F consistently. She seems to really struggle with both of those jumps. And her flutz is so blatant that even I can see it....

natsulian

Eight Challenger and three Grand Prix events later...

Top Total Scores:
1. Bradie Tennell, 216.14 (Grand Prix USA) and 211.31 (Grand Prix Canada)
2. Mariah Bell, 212.89 (Grand Prix France)
3. Amber Glenn, 186.28 (US Classic)
4. Starr Andrews, 181.18 (Lombardia Trophy)
5. Ting Cui, 177.47 (US Classic)
6. Karen Chen, 173.66 (Autumn Classic)
7. Gabriella Izzo, 169 (Asian Open Trophy)
8. Megan Wessenberg, 148.21 (Finlandia Trophy)

Amber Glenn will be competing this upcoming week in China. Best of luck to her.

natsulian

If Bell manages to win another Grand Prix medal, she’ll be the favorite going into Nationals. She’ll be battling against Satoko for the bronze in Russia. With a squeaky clean Short and Long, I’m expecting 216-218 and an outside shot at 220.

As for Bradie, we will see how she’s improved in a few week as she will be competing in her first Challenger. I think she’ll be a sub for the Final if You nabs the silver over Liza in China.

All in all, our top two ladies have come SO far and have had a VERY successful Grand Prix season. Best of luck to all our ladies as always.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
If Bell manages to win another Grand Prix medal, she’ll be the favorite going into Nationals. She’ll be battling against Satoko for the bronze in Russia. With a squeaky clean Short and Long, I’m expecting 216-218 and an outside shot at 220.

Dont know about that. (First, I think Alysa is the favorite for Nats. Lets keep it real.)

Also, seems like you are only looking at medals. If Bradie had been at IdF she woulda medaled too if you use her scores.

Going by the sores so far Bell hasn't topped Tennell so I wouldn't put Bell as the favorite.

Or Bradie.

Alysa.

natsulian

Dont know about that. (First, I think Alysa is the favorite for Nats. Lets keep it real.)

Also, seems like you are only looking at medals. If Bradie had been at IdF she woulda medaled too if you use her scores.

Going by the sores so far Bell hasn't topped Tennell so I wouldn't put Bell as the favorite.

Or Bradie.

Alysa.
True. I’m just happy we have two US top ladies that are pushing each other and growing/improving with each season. Cannot wait to see how Nationals goes. I think if Ting is healed and manages to string together two amazing programs, it could be IMMENSELY interesting. Also, Hanna, Starr, Karen, and Amber will be fighting for the Top 6.

Marco

Oh my. Mariah absolutely blew my mind. Remember when Raf said it usually takes a couple years for his technique to sink in? Here it is! And I believe she is now top seeded at the rink now that Nathan is away and a couple star students retired?

Not a fan of the short but as long as she got the job done. She looked absolutely in control and her elements were sharp. The free was my favorite. The flip-toe was so solid. She may need to find a way to sneak in the 2nd 2axel.

But all in all, so proud of this outing for her and to beat Zagitova in the free of all things! It almost seemed like what happened at Worlds lit a fire under her and she is out there to prove everyone what she can do. She was positively beaming throughout the free. Such beautiful hands too. I would also have had her second overall in France and can't wait to see her bring the house down at Nationals!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Not a fan of the short but as long as she got the job done.

Hey Marco. I am almost always in agreement with you.

Except I think I prefer the SP, as much as I despise Britney.

I am just soooo Hallelujah-ed out! I swear the next skater or team who uses it Im just gonna fast forward through it every time they do it. lol

Also, I think I would put Mariah down as the worst dressed ( especially the free, bleh). Last year she was the best dressed of everyone for me. Wonder what happened over the summer that made her taste level go down. lol, so over designed.

babayaga

Oh my. Mariah absolutely blew my mind. Remember when Raf said it usually takes a couple years for his technique to sink in? Here it is! And I believe she is now top seeded at the rink now that Nathan is away and a couple star students retired?

Not a fan of the short but as long as she got the job done. She looked absolutely in control and her elements were sharp. The free was my favorite. The flip-toe was so solid. She may need to find a way to sneak in the 2nd 2axel.

But all in all, so proud of this outing for her and to beat Zagitova in the free of all things! It almost seemed like what happened at Worlds lit a fire under her and she is out there to prove everyone what she can do. She was positively beaming throughout the free. Such beautiful hands too. I would also have had her second overall in France and can't wait to see her bring the house down at Nationals!

I think the technical caller at this event was strangely kind to Mariah to be honest. The panel smashed both Alina and Kaori with underrotations and edge calls, and gave pretty much none of those to Bell. If they thought Alina's and Kaori's lutz edges were questionable, they should have marked Mariah's too in my opinion. With more consistent judging her technical score would not have been that much higher than what those two got.

Having said that, I did enjoy her performances at this competition, and she has been my favorite american lady for a while, so I will be rooting for her to become the american champion this season and do well overall. I like Mariah.

Lizziebeth

IMHO, Mariah's jumps look much better than prior years and she skates with such confidence! Also, I think Starr has really improved this year too - it is good to see her progress. She still has a ways to go with her basic skating, but she seems to be working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information