U.S. Ladies [#23]: Triple Axels? What a Novice Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
And brilliant, world class spins!

I'm ok with the withdrawal, simply because the jumps, speed and stamina aren't quite there yet. No point risking injury or a disastrous skate.

She seems to be a bit of a perfectionist, too. And for someone like that, competing when you are at ~70% can be difficult emotionally to the point that it is counterproductive.

layman

SP: https://youtu.be/FKmpGDK2V_o

FP: https://youtu.be/t2V4R6Vyma4

Ting Cui is so balletic and musical. I love the way she feels and uses every note of her music. I love her line and extension. I have not seen this kind of attention to detail since the Baby Ballerina generation of skaters (Nam, Cohen, Hughes, Nikodinov, Kirk).

I also love the natural spring in Ting Cui's jumps, the speed and centering in her spins, as well as her edging and flow. I see shades of Janet Lynn and Karen Kwan in the way she uses her music and the way she uses her edges.

NAOTMAA

And brilliant, world class spins!

I'm ok with the withdrawal, simply because the jumps, speed and stamina aren't quite there yet. No point risking injury or a disastrous skate.

She seems to be a bit of a perfectionist, too. And for someone like that, competing when you are at ~70% can be difficult emotionally to the point that it is counterproductive.

If everything wasn't "quite there yet" then she probably should not have gone at all. She obviously was not prepared at all so she traveled all the way to Estonia for???? I hope she paid for the trip herself cause if I were a sponsor or the fed. I wouldn't be happy then.

I know this wasn't a GP event but I find the sympathetic reaction to Karen's withdrawal preplexing when comparing it to the reaction Ashley got last year for doing the same thing (at least she got on the ice and attempted something in the free). I know Ashley is very marmite but still

VGThuy

Because Karen Chen has like 1/10 the attention and fanfare Ashley has so nobody really cares what happens to Karen compared to wondering what was going on with Ashley. Also, Olympic year has heighten moods and I think people have already "given up" on Karen's chances of making the World team whereas Ashley was still very much a contender for the Olympic team.

Tinami Amori

On Russian sites some people are saying that Cui would have won if she did not fall in FS, some found Sakhanovich, while good and deserving her win, still rather boring, slow, and only a shadow "her former self", even without falls.

I still prefer Liu over Cui style wise, Liu has "power and presence" and Cui is a bit too "soft and dainty", but they both are starting to make the upcoming US Nationals interesting.

Stephanie

If everything wasn't "quite there yet" then she probably should not have gone at all. She obviously was not prepared at all so she traveled all the way to Estonia for???? I hope she paid for the trip herself cause if I were a sponsor or the fed. I wouldn't be happy then.

This is what irks me a bit. I'm pretty sure USFS paid for her to go so I would have rather they sent someone who was fully ready to compete both the SP and LP and who could have used the experience and/or chance to earn a season's best score (Kalyan, Amber Glenn, etc.)

Debbie S

This is what irks me a bit. I'm pretty sure USFS paid for her to go so I would have rather they sent someone who was fully ready to compete both the SP and LP and who could have used the experience and/or chance to earn a season's best score (Kalyan, Amber Glenn, etc.)
Kalyan and Glenn have already competed Senior Bs and earned their score mins. All other Senior Ladies eligible for int'l assignments have done Bs and/or GPs. Karen hasn't done either, so sending her here made sense.

clairecloutier

I am just a bit :wuzrobbed about where Karen is at now. Obviously she has been struggling with boot, health, and moving issues, so it's not much of a surprise that she WD here after the subpar short program. I hope everything comes together, but time is short until Nationals, just 7 weeks away now. Le sigh.

Tinami Amori

Because Karen Chen has like 1/10 the attention and fanfare Ashley has so nobody really cares what happens to Karen compared to wondering what was going on with Ashley. Also, Olympic year has heighten moods and I think people have already "given up" on Karen's chances of making the World team whereas Ashley was still very much a contender for the Olympic team.
That! Karen did NOT start any hoopla about participating in Tallin's event, no media coverage, no big announcements on social media, and certainly did not make any movies about herself... :D

Watching her SP and segments of her practice, in this case i was convinced that she had EVERY intent to skate both programmes and that she was ready, and did not have an attitude "lets just go and see what happens".

UGG

after the hoopla she caused posting about her boots in instagram I am pretty sure we will never see any more hoopla from Karen.

Carolla5501

I think this is a very valid point if Karen shows up at nationals comes in 4th and than once because she’s not making the team whines that she deserves it then this becomes relevant.

But honestly the fact that she didn’t finish this competition doesn’t even register on my radar until she starts campaigning for something

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Kalyan and Glenn have already competed Senior Bs and earned their score mins. All other Senior Ladies eligible for int'l assignments have done Bs and/or GPs. Karen hasn't done either, so sending her here made sense.

Plus her coaches were already going to be there.

What really makes no sense, imo, is Tennell and Bell going to Zagreb next weekend. They both had 2 GPs and should be focused on preparing for Phase II of the season (Nationals, 4cc and Worlds).

I'm sure there must be a reason they are going...increasing their SB scores? World Standings points?

To bad there is not a Senior B in North America in December. It would be nice if NA based skaters had a closer opportunity to earn minimums, points, boost their SB scores, etc. Maybe something could be scheduled in the future for the weekend after Golden Spin?

As for Ashley's withdrawal vs Karen's withdrawal, Karen's was due to lack of fitness which is understandable as this is her first competition since February. Since that time, she's changed boot manufacturers, dealt with injuries/chronic health situations, moved and had some other professional upheaval. Ashley's withdrawal was based on an injury that some (unfairly) doubted and came on the heals of a weak (by her standards) performance at SC that did not appear to have any physical cause. Even if both skaters were equally famous, these are two very different withdrawals.

dee342

I am not sure that I have ever seen another skater who rotates as rapidly as Alysa Liu on both her jumps and her spins. And on the second mark, I can think of very few girls under the age of sixteen -- even seventeen -- who ever would compare or would have compared to her. I am already looking forward to the season after next and the one after that. :respec::fan:

That's the one thing that I noticed about her. She has really good spins. Fast and centered. Very impressive.

Frida80

Plus her coaches were already going to be there.

What really makes no sense, imo, is Tennell and Bell going to Zagreb next weekend. They both had 2 GPs and should be focused on preparing for Phase II of the season (Nationals, 4cc and Worlds).

I'm sure there must be a reason they are going...increasing their SB scores? World Standings points?

To bad there is not a Senior B in North America in December. It would be nice if NA based skaters had a closer opportunity to earn minimums, points, boost their SB scores, etc. Maybe something could be scheduled in the future for the weekend after Golden Spin?

As for Ashley's withdrawal vs Karen's withdrawal, Karen's was due to lack of fitness which is understandable as this is her first competition since February. Since that time, she's changed boot manufacturers, dealt with injuries/chronic health situations, moved and had some other professional upheaval. Ashley's withdrawal was based on an injury that some (unfairly) doubted and came on the heals of a weak (by her standards) performance at SC that did not appear to have any physical cause. Even if both skaters were equally famous, these are two very different withdrawals.

For the last few years, they've assigned the top US ladies that didn't make the GPF Golden Spin. I guess USFS sees it as another opportunity for the skaters before nationals. I know Ashley dropped out two years ago and both Bradie and Karen dropped out last year. But this year I'd recommend both Bradie and Mariah going.

Bradie botched her combo in her SP in both her GP. It tanked any chance at her going to the GPF, however remote. Mariah also needs to work on her SP combo. These two are probably penciled in as the World team. One more competition make fix these pesky issues before nationals.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg

Amber Glenn seems capable of higher now based on sectionals. One b event abroad or her early on isnt really enough given how low her score was from that, and how many events some others are getting. I know Amber has had her share of flaky things over the years but still. I think she is still paying for that awful fs performance at philadelphia, which I guess is an Intl too now....anyway...

kwanatic

Very happy for Ting, very sad for Karen.

Ting is definitely the future for the US women. She's such a strong skater overall and with maturity she will be even better. She reminds me a lot of Christina Gao: tall with long limbs, big jumps, nice performance quality, and a bit of a jittery competitor. I just pray she can get her nerves under control. I love how expressive she is, especially in the SP. She finishes the movement rather than rushing through it. Gorgeous choreography especially in the step sequence and Ting gave each moment time to breath. Like this ina bauer in time with the music and the fact that she held it with the music was gorgeous and not something we see enough of with the younger skaters.

I get dizzy watching Eteri's girls. No movement is held for longer than a quarter of second before they move on to something else. Plus there is SO MUCH crammed into the program that there are no moments I can recall once the music stops. It's just a flurry of jumps, turns and arms that are barely distinguishable from one another. Ting's skating is refreshing and I'm happy to see her medal here.

Karen, like Gracie, seems to have made her debut a bit too soon. Very clear to see she was not ready for this competition. Like Gracie, I think Karen should take this season to heal, refocus and get back in competitive shape. The US women aren't blowing anyone away right now. Bradie is skating decently and Mariah has stepped up her game, but neither are shaking up the field. Karen and Gracie have time. No need to rush. Take the time to get properly prepared so you can come back and make a splash rather than cast more doubt. Similarly to Gracie Karen has always been a nervous competitor. To reassert herself convincingly she needs to come back strong...this did not help her at all.

I really don't think Karen or Gracie should bother with nationals this year. Take the time, get better, get prepared, and come back ready to kill it in 2019-2020.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I was surprised by Chen's WD because she looked to be attacking everything in the SP.

Cui reminded me of Fleming. She has such lovely arms.

clairecloutier

Great post @kwanatic, and I completely agree re Karen and Gracie. I am a big fan of both these skaters .... but based on what we saw at Rostelecom and Tallinn, the chances of either being back in competitive shape and ready by Nationals just seems very low. Perhaps it's best to take the rest of the season off and focus on coming back strong next season.

NAOTMAA

I don't think Gracie or Karen will be going to Nationals with the same expectations and goals.

For Gracie it's likely just the same of what she went into Rostelecom thinking and seeing how she improved after that if at all. If she's serious about the comeback she needs the experience no matter what the result. I'm sure Karen will be going with vastly higher goals in mind realistic or not. I just hope she doesn't pull any "pray for my boots" type shit so she can excuse a poor performance before it happens like she did at the Olympics. Either way it some shape or form it will be a learning experience for both of them.

Reactions: UGG

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
But honestly the fact that she didn’t finish this competition doesn’t even register on my radar until she starts campaigning for something
See, I disagree with that. What exactly was her reason for the W/D? A severely bruised ego??? Traveling across the world is not cheap, someone is paying for it. Just because she was upset that she bombed her SP shouldn't mean that she should then just w/d from the competition. My opinion of her has gone wayyyyyyy down. I thought she was the most naturally talented skater in the US, but there is just so much drama with her. The world doesn't need any more drama. I'd rather support boring Bradie who at least finishes competitions and takes her results on her chin whether good or bad. W/ding for no apparent reason (I'm sure she'll say her ankle or heel or boot or whatever excuse) is unacceptable. To me at least.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Sometimes skaters do just break and never regain form though, and its not always their fault. She's not just doing it to piss you off, Willy :rolleyes::scream: How are your triples coming along anyway?

I reckon a lot of us just like the sport partly for the potential of meteoric rises and crashes that can happen...just enjoy the journey and maybe just let the ones who are losing do it without such intense blame and criticism.

mag

Sometimes skaters do just break and never regain form though, and its not always their fault. She's not just doing it to piss you off, Willy :rolleyes::scream: How are your triples coming along anyway?

Unless there is a serious injury, IMHO, you finish what you start. Yes, it is hard. I have been there as a parent when the short program goes really badly. It is gut wrenching, but you get up, brush yourself off, and skate the long. Do the best you can do and then go home an practice harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information