U.S. Ladies [#23]: Triple Axels? What a Novice Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAOTMAA

The last time the USA ladies did not make the top ten at Worlds was 1937 when the highest was 12th (only 1 USA entry). The worst finishes since then were 1963 (10th, 13th, 19th) and 1994 (8th, Failed to qualify).

1962 US ladies finished 10th and 16th. But you also have to remember 62 and 63 were the years following the horrible plane crash that tragically killed everyone on board. US ladies had to rebuild but by year 64 (Peggy Fleming's debut!) all ladies were back top 10

1994 was the year of the wack! I suppose it was fitting then for that year to be a mess :D

Nichole went down in flames but Michelle saved the day moving up from 11th in the short to finish 8th overall and saved the two spots for US ladies for 1995. Funny thing is it would end up being her own spot she saved because she finished 2nd at nationals behind Nichole and would have been left home if the US didn't have those two spots. Things would have ended up so different if Michelle hadn't gone to those worlds

D

Deleted member 53443

Maybe you are suffering from malnutrition and therefore cannot think so I will spare you a detailed lesson in economics, subsidies, and strategic advantage....but the United States is the top exporter of food world wide, meaning the USA provides the most food. Which countries do you think will export food to the USA?

Dear lord, If you think that is a logical statement you are simply to dumb to discuss with, sorry. No thanks to a lesson from you in "economics, subsidies, and strategic advantage". Why do you think they export food? Because they get tax payer's money to make it cheaper to sell (except to US customers that is). If they export less, how exactly will US citizen's starve, or do they our stomachs have some weird connection to exported food? If you try make fun of people, at least get your stuff straight. Crop prizes have gone down since we can import food cheaper and farming is more efficient, that's just a simple supply-and-demand fact that republicans love so much (and often they are correct). Except when it comes to farmers. There, the government buys excess food for millions of dollars that can't even be sold in this country, and to keep prices high for consumers. Plus, 25% of the subsidies are for corn, from which they make corn syrup which is pure shit for your body, so yeah, Americans would probably have healthier stomachs and pay less in the grocery store.

Now, this thread is about figure skating so I bow out of here, not highjacking it with this crop, sorry crap.

Clutz

Banned Member
Dear lord, If you think that is a logical statement you are simply to dumb to discuss with, sorry. No thanks to a lesson from you in "economics, subsidies, and strategic advantage". Why do you think they export food? Because they get tax payer's money to make it cheaper to sell (except to US customers that is). If they export less, how exactly will US citizen's starve, or do they our stomachs have some weird connection to exported food? If you try make fun of people, at least get your stuff straight. Crop prizes have gone down since we can import food cheaper and farming is more efficient, that's just a simple supply-and-demand fact that republicans love so much (and often they are correct). Except when it comes to farmers. There, the government buys excess food for millions of dollars that can't even be sold in this country, and to keep prices high for consumers. Plus, 25% of the subsidies are for corn, from which they make corn syrup which is pure shit for your body, so yeah, Americans would probably have healthier stomachs and pay less in the grocery store.

Now, this thread is about figure skating so I bow out of here, not highjacking it with this crop, sorry crap.

My goodness....your poor diet has really made you an angry, and rather dumb, person. You should plant a victory garden. Not only will you get some good vegetables but gardening can also be very stress reducing.

Oh, and you're the one who inserted nonsensical non-skating politically motivated comments into this thread (#866) so if you don't like the heat, get out of the fire; or, use that fire to cook some delicious, American farm-raised food!

Last edited:

Lizziebeth

i would predict Tennell and Bell for the world team too. Tennell seems to have a head for competition. Bell impressed me with improved skating this year, plus I like her programs. She seems very determined. At least they have quite a bit of experience at senior events and the judges know about them - and it is not all bad :). They will get credit for stuff if they fully rotate their jumps IMHO.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
If Liu is too young I really don't see anyone (and yes I'm considering Karen) besides Tennell and Bell that are going to take the 2 US spots.

Any word from Mirai? Although if she hasn't been practicing for the past 2 months or so I can't see her being a factor if she does enter.

mag

If Liu is too young I really don't see anyone (and yes I'm considering Karen) besides Tennell and Bell that are going to take the 2 US spots.

Any word from Mirai? Although if she hasn't been practicing for the past 2 months or so I can't see her being a factor if she does enter.

ITA. Karen will be killed by < and << this season. It would be crazy to send her to Worlds untested by an international panel.

Willin

Yup. I'm thinking Tennell and Bell will be the team, but I don't want to curse it by getting to excited too early.

Also, we don't know if Karen will be killed by carrots this season. She's moved training environments to one where there's some really great jump coaches. With the time off she might have improved her jumps enough. It's not a guarantee, but I'm not counting her out yet.

I would also bet there will be some surprises from skaters who weren't on the Grand Prix. Some of the ladies at sectionals looked really good.

Spiralgraph

^^^ I'd like to be surprised at Nationals by skaters who are under the radar and perform well. Maybe they won't be sent to Worlds, but 4CC and future gp and challenger assignments might be their reward.

NAOTMAA

Well they already started that last year with Star Andrews, right? I would assume, or at least hope, they continue with that and not get discouraged because she didn't light the GP on fire. It was definitely a step in the right direction and they should continue working on that and it will hopefully come.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Well, they basically went by Nationals rankings to assign Starr to 4cc, but I do hope they are able to think a little more along those lines going forward. Great to have Ting at Tallinn and Megan at Zagreb, would love if Amber and Akari could raise their SB at Zagreb...would also say Hanna H. and Alysa but they're too young still.

Clutz

Banned Member
Count me in on the Bradie train. Her flip and loop in the LP did not look UR to me ...

Did you find it hard to believe Bradie in such a "dramatic" role? Her LP to me seems unnatural, especially the Prokofiev cuts of the music. Somehow I think she would have been safer with a bit lighter look this year.

Tinami Amori

Can someone if possible remind me please which of the novice US girls was invited to skate for Chinese Federation? It was discussed fairly recently, forgot her name.

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
Karen Chen is in Tallinn for the season debut of her programs at Tallinn Trophy. As I mentioned in the Kiss & Cry section just now:
Ting Cui has been competing since the summer due to having to be ready for the JGP, so they are at very different points of readiness and I will not be at all surprised if Ting places ahead of Karen here. I do think it's smart for Karen to compete here before Nationals -- hoping for the best.

Karen's program music:
SP: "Fire Dance" by Jennifer Thomas
FS: "Illumination" by Secret Garden
Choreographers: Karen Chen, Rohene Ward, Massimo Scali (SP was choreographed by him, according to Karen's IG post in early June), Marina Zoueva
Ting drew #19, second in the penultimate group, and is scheduled to skate her SP tomorrow at 19:18 (12:18 pm Eastern time) while Karen drew #26 of 29 and is listed to skate at 20:23 (1:23 pm ET) on the time schedule.

NAOTMAA

What exactly are the expectations for Karen in Estonia :confused: Has there been any recent updates on what she's been doing?

She apparently been fighting injury and therefore probably hasn't been training as hard. And with the judges being extra hard on the urs this season I don't know what to expect from her there :shuffle:

Dobre

What exactly are the expectations for Karen in Estonia...?

She has already surpassed my expectations if she is in Tallinn. (After she withdrew from her 2nd GP, I wasn't counting on her being able to make this date either). If she is really competing--which it sounds like she is--then I will just expect a season debut type of performance. Anything beyond that would be a very pleasant surprise; but regardless, at least it sounds like she is truly getting her season underway.

VGThuy

She has already surpassed my expectations if she is in Tallinn. (After she withdrew from her 2nd GP, I wasn't counting on her being able to make this date either). If she is really competing--which it sounds like she is--then I will just expect a season debut type of performance. Anything beyond that would be a very pleasant surprise; but regardless, at least it sounds like she is truly getting her season underway.

Same here. I'm actually truly surprised she's in Tallinn.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Me three! I wish her well, but her physical issues seem serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information