U.S. Ladies [#23]: Triple Axels? What a Novice Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

concorde

Thank you guys. Question: has Zhu been "released" (if she is subject to restrictions as a novice)? Is it wise to allow her to do that? She seems like a medal contender for USA... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp0XDnpntAe/

How could the US keep her?
I don't think she ever represented Team USA and I doubt she ever received much (if any) funding from the US Federation.

The question to me is why would she (or her parents) want to do that? The parents (who were born in China) that I know have told me that they would never allow their US born daughters to skate for China.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Yup. And that was with a fall! If she was clean she's probably have a 72.

So we gots Ting Cui and Liu both at SENIOR Nats????

Bradie and Mariah... whoa... this sh*t about to get real!!!!

:cold::cold:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Ting won Eastern Sectionals to qualify for Nationals. She landed a very nice 2A & 3Lz+3T (Rippon arms on both jumps) before falling on 3F in Tallinn (67.56). Her ISU SB/PB was 70.20 in her SP at JGP CZE.
SENIOR LADIES OVERALL (INTL + SECTIONALS)
(omitting Karen and Gracie for now)

P1 Alysa Liu 212
Bradie Tennell 206
Mariah Bell 198
M1 Amber Glenn 184
E1 Ting Cui 181
Ashley Lin 181
Courtney Hicks 178
Starr Andrews 174
M2 Hanna Harrell 173
P2 Akari Nakahara 169
E2 Megan Wessenberg 167
P3 Brynne McIsaac 161
P4 Sierra Venetta 160
Angela Wang 160
E3 Julia Biechler 159
M3 Pooja Kalyan 157
E4 Rena Ikenishi 157
M4 Hannah Miller 154

AngieNikodinovLove

I think Ting is one to watch as well. Also, I was worried that Karen Chen did not do well because there was no mention of her then I saw she hadn't even skated yet. :lol:

Honey i'm right here refreshing the results page waiting for Karen to skate. LOL just curious.

I'm getting more excited about nationals now.

VGThuy

Honestly, as I said in the first Tallin Trophy thread, I'm still surprised to see Karen Chen competing here. I think this year will be a recovery one for her and I hope she can take the time between now and the start of next season to build herself back up. Just remembering how last season was for her, it seemed stressful. Doesn't matter if one thinks she sort of self-imploded and did some things to cause it to herself, it's still stressful.

Jammers

Ting has a great chance to medal at her first senior International if she can keep it together. It would be a great way to go into Nationals. She has a light style a bit like Mao but with lots of speed and she seems to be one of the few US Ladies who seems to be able to rotate her jumps with the spring she has in her jumps. Hopefully she fights for every landing in the LP. A clean LP could get a huge score though i don't see her going clean but i want to see some fight in her which so many US Ladies haven't show lately.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I thought Karen looked pretty OK for her first outing of the season after being on the injured list for a while. Happy she didn't withdraw. Not the best program I've seen her do, but probably not the worst either. Luckily there's a some time before Nationals, so hopefully she can regain some ground.

eurodance2001

I thought Karen looked pretty OK for her first outing of the season after being on the injured list for a while. Happy she didn't withdraw. Not the best program I've seen her do, but probably not the worst either. Luckily there's a some time before Nationals, so hopefully she can regain some ground.

Spoke to soon.. it appears Karen has withdrawn from the competition after the SP.

toddlj

Interesting!! We will get to see Tennell/Bell/Wessenberg next weekend at Golden Spin. We'll see if Bell can match the 199+ Cui scored today.

Here's a question... if Cui beats Bell at Nats... will USFS send her to Sr worlds? I'm inclined to think they'll hold Cui back to Jr, but we shall see.

Dobre

Here's a question... if Cui beats Bell at Nats... will USFS send her to Sr worlds? I'm inclined to think they'll hold Cui back to Jr, but we shall see.

I think they'll see how these ladies skate at Nationals. (Neither being particularly consistent under pressure). I definitely think they would send Ting to 4CCs if she finishes among the top three age-eligible ladies.

Sylvia

TBD
Tallinn Trophy SILVER - Ting CUI USA 199.79 2 2

2 Ting CUI USA 132.23 72.11 61.12 7.70 7.50 7.75 7.65 7.60 1.00 #27 [FS Video]

FS protocols are not yet online.

ETA that they're up now and Ting was credited with landing 6 triples cleanly with just the fall on the back end of her 3Lz+3T combo. Her jump order was:
2A
Rippon3Lz+Ripp3T fall
3F+1Eu+Ripp3S
2A+2T
Ripp3Lz
Ripp3Lo
3F
She received all level 4s for her 3 spins and step sequence.

Hope Karen is OK... I imagine the past several months have been tough for her, recovering from her foot injury and not having competed a full competition all season.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Wish Karen all the best. Love her arms...so soft. Her face so expressive.

Here is what I don't get. Why did she go all that way to skate a rather horrid SP? If she is still dealing with recovering from an injury, why risk further injury? She did not NEED to qualify for anything?

She spent an awful lot of money on those 2 1/5 minutes.....and left more questions about the state of her skating than answers.

If she felt herself ready to be there, or wanted to take her programs out for a spin.........why pull out of the free skate? Must be injury? Which leads back to Why did she go?

Debbie S

Ting probably lost about 4 points total with the fall, probably about 4 points on the 3F fall yesterday. Even so, her total score currently has her 15th on the SB list, so I would think she would be able to get at least 1 GP assignment next year, if she chooses to go Senior.

concorde

I thought things with Karen today were weird.

Her name was listed in the skating order when her warm-up group took the ice. Then her name just seemed to disappear and there seems to be no WD listed in the final results. Hmmm ...

Does not seem to bode well in regards to Nationals.

On an extremely positive note. Ting got 2nd!! Even with a fall in both the short and long. Love her jumps!

AngieNikodinovLove

Interesting!! We will get to see Tennell/Bell/Wessenberg next weekend at Golden Spin. We'll see if Bell can match the 199+ Cui scored today.

I say full throttle and full steam ahead with Ting if she scores top two @US nationals. With the current climate of ladies skating no reason not to send her to seniors if age eligible.

:respec::respec:

Tara was mature enough at 14 even. If she gets top 2 I hope they send her to senior worlds.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Why did she go all that way to skate a rather horrid SP? She spent an awful lot of money on those 2 1/5 minutes.....and left more questions about the state of her skating than answers.

I have a lot of thoughts...

1- Skaters generally don't compete planning to do poorly. But sometimes it just happens. Yes we could all predict it since she has been in a boot etc.

2- Her coaches were going with Ting anyway, so maybe just a way to stay with the program...

3- IMO competing is so much more than 2.5 mins...its about the weeks/months/years of physical and mental prep, and as for Gracie, maybe knowing a comp was coming up gave extra motivation to get back in shape faster. After pulling out of so many things already, she probably was strongly encouraged to not just pull out of this one also.

4- It is a bit irksome for her to WD from the FS...but then I don't know her injury status. It would seem she was in shape enough to do a decent FS- certainly she looked miles ahead of where Gracie was at Rostelecom, but who knows what was going on. At surface, the temptation is to say, just do the damn FS, you're already there.

5- For me, it did actually answer questions- it shows that she still has triples and a nice 2ax, and good skating skills. It shows that she could contend for top 5 at Nationals if everything really comes together in the next 2 months. But it also shows that right now, Ting, Amber, Alysa, Mariah, Bradie, Hanna, Courtney, Megan W. and Starr are all far ahead in terms of preparation (though not skillset/overall potential, per se, obviously some more than others).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information