Status
Not open for further replies.

mag

Plus there's effective use of her arms that matches the music in a fitting way that looks natural and unstudied.
It's nice to see that Bradie has worked on softening her arms and using them more expressively

I agree! That lovely “unstudied” look is most likely the result of hours of work on Bradie’s part. She clearly is not afraid to put in the work to move herself to the next level.

Spun Silver

I agree! That lovely “unstudied” look is most likely the result of hours of work on Bradie’s part. She clearly is not afraid to put in the work to move herself to the next level.
Hmm, at first I thought you made a typo and were talking about Starr. IMO your comment applies much better to Starr! I love her ambition and the ease of her skating. I also love that she challenged herself with Ella and Louie and not some saccharine version of Summertime.

Bradie is still meh for me. The opening chores is just awkward on her. I respect her technique but I don't think I will ever be a fan. But at least Cinderella is gone! Nice to see her in grownup black.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Willin

Starr skates so big! She's such a natural at selling programs.

At Nationals I remember thinking her ice coverage was lacking, but I think that will come when/if she gets taller. She's so tiny right now that I'd imagine it's hard to fill a rink no matter how fast you go. It's the same problem Satoko Miyahara seems to have.

Sylvia

TBD
She [Starr Andrews] competed at the Asian open trophy? What division? I thought it didn’t have seniors.
Asian Open Trophy is an ISU Challenger Series competition this year for the first time (it's had senior level events for the past few years but this is the first time USFS has sent any seniors) - link to the competition thread in Kiss in Cry for those with access: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/asian-open-fs-trophy-in-bangkok-august-3-5-2018.104158/

Frida80

At Nationals I remember thinking her ice coverage was lacking, but I think that will come when/if she gets taller. She's so tiny right now that I'd imagine it's hard to fill a rink no matter how fast you go. It's the same problem Satoko Miyahara seems to have.

I think she's 4'11" according to the ISU profile. Even shorter than Karen Chen. It's a good thing she knows to use her limbs well. She's 17, so I think may be as tall as she gets.

Teamgracie

Gracie’s firebird at 2016 nationals was no put upon performance, that performance was so memorable. I could watch it over and over!

Can still cheer for other skaters without knocking others down, hasn’t she had enough of that?

Go gracie, can’t wait to see you 💖💐

VGThuy

I was just saying that I don't think performance is something that comes as naturally to Gracie or Bradie, but I was admiring the work Bradie put in to make it seem less unnatural for her. I like Gracie and I do love her skating technically. She is world-class when it comes to the important aspects of skating with what she can do with her blades with all the speed, power, ice coverage, and big jumps. I think she's the most gifted American skater we've had for a long time when it comes to that. I think I'm still allowed to think there were other parts of her skating I've found less convincing even though I know she herself was feeling it. Honestly though, there are times where I did appreciate Gracie's carriage even if some found it stiff or wooden because there's something to be said about a clean look and a clean way of moving in this day-and-age.

Tinami Amori

No that is not what I meant actually.

Mao started to learn 3A at the age of 11, and perfected it by the age of 12, and performed it in competition at the age of 14, and many "in the business" were regretting that she could not compete that year against other senior ladies (for a good competition)..... After Mao turned 16 her 3A became less and less consistent... I do not regret at all that she learned it by 12, and performed it at 14...... Good competition is when a person can perform one's best! and if best is at 14, then be it!

2005 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbPbbUeQ3Kw
... and later it deteriorated.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd9GNWKR27c

Cleo1782

I think she's 4'11" according to the ISU profile. Even shorter than Karen Chen. It's a good thing she knows to use her limbs well. She's 17, so I think may be as tall as she gets.

I can't believe Karen Chen is taller than 4'11. She is super short in person. Much shorter than she looks on ice.

mag

Now i get the complete opposite impression. To me, Starr always looks like she is play acting. I have only seen her live once, and it was at practice. Her speed, IMHO, is a combination of a lot of little crossovers and the illusion of speed because she is so small. The eye tends to measure speed as a ratio so smaller skaters tend to look faster than taller skaters even when they are the same speed.

AngieNikodinovLove

Did Amber Glenn just give away the SkAm slot to someone else tonight???

Still not a bad score, but she didnt medal. EDITED LATER- never mind, that was the TOTAL score, I thought 122 was for the free.

Hmmmmmm

Actually can someone explain the scores and medalists to me? ANL way confused.

wait, is 122 the total or her free score? I imagine free score? Then why isn't she the gold?

Last edited:

eurodance2001

here:

http://www.fsatresults.com/ISUchallenger/indexISUCSAOFST2018.html

Eunsoo won SP with a score of 68. Ill be interested to see how her and Choi do this season.

I need to get used to the whole +5 scale.

Crazy judging continues already.. the judge from TPE gave Eunsoo a 5.75 for interpretation of music while USA gave her a 9.00. The USA judge went crazy giving her +3, 4 and 5 on every element.. Eunsoo’s 3F was given a -1 to +3 GOE..

WTF PEOPLE?!!

Cleo1782

ISU say she’s 5ft. Maybe I’ve done the conversions from cm to feet wrong.

I am 5'8 and I was wearing heels so the last time I saw her, 5ft may be accurate, but she looked like I could put her in my pocket and carry her around. Ashley Wagner seems like her listed height and Gracie is a lot taller than I thought she was-like near my height. I think her ISU bio lists her as 5'5 but she is definitely taller. Ashley Cain is definitely taller than 5'6 too.

AngieNikodinovLove

Crazy judging continues already.. the judge from TPE gave Eunsoo a 5.75 for interpretation of music while USA gave her a 9.00. The USA judge went crazy giving her +3, 4 and 5 on every element.. Eunsoo’s 3F was given a -1 to +3 GOE..

WTF PEOPLE?!!

LOL thats one of the reasons why I said I need to get used to this whole +5 scale. Some scores ranged a lot!!!!

Frida80

Did Amber Glenn just give away the SkAM slot to someone else tonight???

Still not a bad score, but she didnt medal.

Hmmmmmm

Actually can someone explain the scores and medalists to me? ANL way confused.

I think she did. This is quite the conundrum.

Last month, I thought the SA spot was hers easily. She had the second highest score of all seniors this summer, with Alysa having the highest. But Skate Detroit was weaker than I expected. And today was not good at all. I guess the protocols will shed more light. But she’s lost to Kate twice in a row. Not only that, Katie is the next highest scoring international senior that doesn’t have a GP slot. I think they may give Katie a chance.

AngieNikodinovLove

Last month, I thought the SA spot was hers easily. She had the second highest score of all seniors this summer, with Alysa having the highest. But Skate Detroit was weaker than I expected. And today was not good at all. I guess the protocols will shed more light. But she’s lost to Kate twice in a row. Not only that, Katie is the next highest scoring international senior that doesn’t have a GP slot. I think they may give Katie a chance.

Holy Cr*p, so Amber Glenn only scored 60-some points Total for a FREE skate?????????

Willin

@AngieNikodinovLove Ikr. I saw that score on @Sylvia 's website and I thought that the 122 point total was the FS point total instead of the SP+FS total! It's insane that her FS total score was roughly equal to the SP score. She must have really bombed at a new level or there was a scoring system glitch.

Now i get the complete opposite impression. To me, Starr always looks like she is play acting. I have only seen her live once, and it was at practice. Her speed, IMHO, is a combination of a lot of little crossovers and the illusion of speed because she is so small. The eye tends to measure speed as a ratio so smaller skaters tend to look faster than taller skaters even when they are the same speed.
Maybe it's coming from a synchro background, but I was always told to emote like that so that even people in the rafters could see your expressions. Ashley's expressions can also look cheesy on video. Either way, I felt that both of their on-ice expressions are perfectly appropriate for a large arena in which you're trying to entertain those up in the rafters.

I agree that if she's not going to grow she needs some skating skills lessons. Her crossovers and edges are very junior. They remind me of Alina Zagitova, which could be a good or a bad thing. It could be bad if they accurately judge her skating skills in competition or good if she gets good enough at jumping that the judges decide to completely ignore the skating skills.

She's one of the skaters I think could benefit from some synchro coaching - because that discipline focuses on strong stroking and posture like dance but utilizes and teaches a lot more crossovers. I swear the top synchro skaters in the world are the best cross-over doers in the world. She's down by LA - maybe she can get California Gold or Team Del Sol's coach to help out.

WTF PEOPLE?!!
Who were the judges? Did this competition have mostly brand new ISU-approved judges? Maybe they're just not used to judging an international field.

Cleo1782

I would give it to Katie. She seems to be performing well. Or maybe Gracie? Am I missing anyone that has been performing well? We could give Zhang her old SA spot if she's not retiring. Hicks has 2 right? I wouldn't waste another spot on Glenn who has been underperforming for years and also pulled out of JW very unexpectedly-late- for 'personal reasons'.

AngieNikodinovLove

@AngieNikodinovLove Ikr. I saw that score on @Sylvia 's website and I thought that the 122 point total was the FS point total instead of the SP+FS total! It's insane that her FS total score was roughly equal to the SP score. She must have really bombed at a new level or there was a scoring system glitch.

I know... I was doing double takes at @Sylvia website too. I dont understand how to always interpret it.....

Then I went to Lynn Rutherford's Twitter and I saw the damage...

Ugggg... she went from 130 Free score in Houston to a free of 64 points tonight????? How is that possible???

AngieNikodinovLove

We could give Zhang her old SA spot if she's not retiring.Hicks has 2 right? I wouldn't waste another spot on Glenn who has been underperforming for years and also pulled out of JW very unexpectedly-late- for 'personal reasons'."

Caroline.... child...... no!

Hicks...no, one.

Amber.... gives a whole new meaning to "inconsistency." Sad, because she has the it factor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information