Status
Not open for further replies.

berthesghost

I think it’s too soon to say. It’s easy to look back at Ashley/Gracie going 3/2 over a 5 year period and calling it a rivalry. But is it a given, or just a prediction that neither Karen nor Bradie will ever repeat as nat champs?

Kristi/Tonya & Michelle/Tara rivalries only lasted two years each. It was the fact that the rivalries extended to worlds and Olys that made it more impactful.

VGThuy

I think it’s too soon to say. It’s easy to look back at Ashley/Gracie going 3/2 over a 5 year period and calling it a rivalry. But is it a given, or just a prediction that neither Karen nor Bradie will ever repeat as nat champs?

Kristi/Tonya & Michelle/Tara rivalries only lasted two years each. It was the fact that the rivalries extended to worlds and Olys that made it more impactful.

Good point. Kwan had a more longstanding rivalry with Irina with Maria in the mix. Later on, there was sort of a Sasha/Michelle one but it was never fully developed and was more vigorously fought among the fans online than between the two of them because Michelle skipped the GP series from Fall 2003-Fall of 2005 and only competed at Nationals and Worlds in that period. Cohen herself skipped the GP series in the Fall of 2004 and only did Lalique in the Fall of 2005. Kwan did not compete at all (not counting that American Idol style comp in December 2005) in the 2005-2006 season and was not close to her peak due to chronic physical limitations. I think Sarah and Sasha had the makings of a rivalry after 2002, but Hughes won gold and never looked back enjoying Yale. Before IJS rewired my brain, I thought the two Junior World champs, AP McDonough and Jenny Kirk, would have a rivalry and compete with Sarah and Sasha after 2002 Nationals. That didn't pan out.

I didn't think the Ashley v. Gracie rivalry was that entertaining to be honest. They never had a competition where both really brought it in both the SP and LP. Plus, I know this is controversial, but if both really hit, I think most of us would feel safe saying Gracie would come out on top.

mag

Maybe "longevity" is overrated.. Perhaps some people don't "marry for life", "pick a sport for life", "choose a career for life"..... Perhaps people see their lives as a series of segments and stories, which start and finish hopefully satisfactory.

Perhaps one sees "sports" as just one stage in life and hopes to reach maximum, Olympic medal is one... And then go on to the next stage, college, career, other sports..... What's better than to win "the highest possible" between 13 and 15 (maybe 16/18) and to then go to the Best University in the country? Sarah Hughes, Debbie Thomas.. And to then (hypothetically) become the Best Golfer, or Best Yachtsmen, and then buy a series of properties and become a Real Estate giant? and then learn to paint or sculpt and become a commercial artist?

Why should "a given sport" have "longevity"? is that fans' wish? because it maybe NOT BE an athlete's wish... An athlete may want to just "get that Gold" and move on to the next Project in life.

This x 1000. The same could be said for kids who are late bloomers who may never make an Olympic team. Maybe getting to Challenger event, a Sr B, or Euros or 4CC’s is what the year are striving for. Getting that on a resume is impressive or even just doing it to see how far you can go. 99% of kids who start skating never even get out of a regional event. People participate in sport for many reasons. As long as they are playing by rules, who are we to judge?

Tinami Amori

Yes but at this point, anyone can win nationals at any time. There are no "favorites" like back in the day- Kristie/ Tonya, Michelle/Tara, Michelle/Sasha, Ashley/Gracie. Obviously everyone wants to do well but that is different than a rivalry. Maybe we think of the term differently.
You mean there is no two girls which media hypes up against each other? :D..... that's fine with me.. :lol:. In the upcoming nationals i can see Tennel, Bell, Chen and maybe few new ones having a "real competition" for the podium.. :D

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I think there will be more of a competition amongst the American women over the next couple of years than there will be amongst the American men.

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpted from the Asian Open Trophy competition thread in Kiss & Cry...
Junior Ladies Short Program - USA resullts:
1 Grabiella Gabriella IZZO USA 60.92 34.84 26.08 6.50 6.25 6.50 6.67 6.67 0.00 #14
3 Ashley LIN USA 53.79 30.33 24.46 6.33 5.83 6.17 6.08 6.17 1.00 #10
Protocols: http://www.fsatresults.com/AOFST2018/Scores/JuniorLadies_SP_Scores.pdf
Congrats to Gabriella Izzo on winning the Junior silver medal in her second international for Team USA - the 2 U.S. ladies' results/scores:

2 Gabriella IZZO USA 168.03 1 4
5 Ashley LIN USA 158.53 3 5

Result Details
4 Gabriella IZZO USA 107.11 55.57 52.54 6.67 6.25 6.58 6.67 6.67 1.00 #18
5 Ashley LIN USA 104.74 54.01 51.73 6.58 6.17 6.50 6.58 6.50 1.00 #16
Protocols: http://www.fsatresults.com/AOFST2018/Scores/JuniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf

ETA: IIRC, Ashley Lin used to get the 'e' edge call on her 3Lz in past internationals but not in Bangkok. She switched coaches earlier this year to Letov/Ganicheva.

Tavi

Thanks, @Tavi! Both Tennell and Courtney Hicks are competing at the DuPage Open club competition in Chicago.

Philadelphia Summer International Competition Senior Ladies SP results: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com...ernational-men-ladies-competition-august-1-5/

:) Someone on GS found it so just passing it along. That combo is pretty awesome, isn’t it!

I looked for a clip of Courtney’s SP but sadly couldn’t find one.

Georgia on GS posted her impressions of Courtney and Bradie (both positive) in the US ladies thread:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?71747-2018-2019-State-of-US-Ladies-Skating/page67

I did find this clip Courtney posted the other day at DuPage practice - pretty awesome spin!

https://instagram.com/p/Bl_t3UtgXNx/

Sylvia

TBD
Hanna (no -h at end) Harrell is the 2018 U.S. Junior pewter medalist.
Is it possible for her to get SkAm? Is she eligible?
She doesn't turn 15 until September so is going back to the JGP -- link to her ISU bio (she's done 2 junior internationals and 1 JGP to date): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00103187.htm

ETA: If "strongest" means most consistent in summer competitions, Alysa Liu has competed 4 times as a Senior and scored over 190 each time.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Bradie brief clip of new sp with 3z-3lo:

https://instagram.com/p/BmCc3nunHdc/

Thanks for sharing. I like what I see, and I'm looking forward to seeing the full program. What a boffo jump combo opening! Do we know the music and choreographer for this sp? I don't see anything listed on the spreadsheet, except for Romeo&Juliet music for Bradie's fp.

I think Bradie's progression is right where it needs to be, and I don't see any reason (as one commenter did on the Instagram) to start comparing and rating B's programs from last season vs this season. Crafting a career is a process. I'm happy to simply allow Bradie's career to unfold. Bradie gives me 'Bradie vibes' in that clip. :respec:

Frida80

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
No, Alysa is still 12 and won't be old enough for the JGP until next season.

But thats what I thought and you said she has competed 4 times as a senior....????

"ETA: If "strongest" means most consistent in summer competitions, Alysa Liu has competed 4 times as a Senior and scored over 190 each time."

Sylvia

TBD
There is no minimum age rule to compete at the senior level in the U.S. (edited in an attempt to be clearer).

ETA: Both Alysa and Hanna just need to have passed the USFS Senior Moves in the Field and FS tests before the qualifying season registration deadline of Sept. 1st.

ETA #2: Alysa already passed her Senior FS test -- she's on the May 2018 list published on the USFS website.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Plus there's effective use of her arms that matches the music in a fitting way that looks natural and unstudied. Ya see, I have always felt that too many critics have been overly harsh and 'Debbie Downer' on Bradie unfairly. Her poise in interviews always struck me that she's someone who is a quick learner who knows her own mind and is confident in her talent.

I never saw any reason to blast Bradie's programs from last season. I thought they were fine and okay for her at that time in the progression of her career. And, as commentated by Mark Hanretty for Eurosport, I enjoyed Bradie's Cinderella fp. There were some good moments of choreo expressing the story in that program.

It's nice to see that Bradie has worked on softening her arms and using them more expressively.

aftershocks

Banned Member
No, Alysa is still 12 and won't be old enough for the JGP until next season.

So, she's 12 but still able to compete senior in recent summer competitions? And are there plans for her to compete senior or remain in juniors at U.S. Nationals? :confused:

Oh okay, I see, and thanks @Sylvia. I posted the above prior to seeing your explanatory #742 post.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Am likin' what I see from Bradie (all 45 seconds of it), definitely like the brief bit of choreo and the music approach. Not to be a total d$%k, but did the loop look pre-rotated? Honestly, I don't even know if that would be up for a call.

I must admit I gave up on Hicks, pretty much after her 2017 Nats, but last years Nats. sealed the deal. I was very high on her for a long time and I think she's extremely talented, but if she hasn't put it together by now, I just don't see it happening.

I really enjoyed watching Liu skate, but I admit it's really hard for me to stay focused on someone so far away from being Senior eligible.

UGG

You mean there is no two girls which media hypes up against each other? :D..... that's fine with me.. :lol:. In the upcoming nationals i can see Tennel, Bell, Chen and maybe few new ones having a "real competition" for the podium.. :D

No that is not what I meant actually.

berthesghost

Kristi/Tonya and Michelle/Tara had exciting skates associated with them... 1st 3x, finally landing the 3s, first 3r/3r, 6.0s etc

Karen vs Bradie, if it even exists, is zzzz but then so are they (all tea all shade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information