Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleo1782

I know... I was doing double takes at @Sylvia website too. I dont understand how to always interpret it.....

Then I went to Lynn Rutherford's Twitter and I saw the damage...

Ugggg... she went from 130 Free score in Houston to a free of 64 points tonight????? How is that possible???

Lots of pops I would assume... She is prone to them. I don't dislike her at all. I just feel like she isn't someone to rely on. Great one day. Awful the next.
NVM SA should go to Hicks I love her. I know she is inconsistent too, but not to that degree. Or McBeath.
For the men's thread, but Rabbit or Dolensky for SA?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Lots of pops I would assume... She is prone to them. I don't dislike her at all. I just feel like she isn't someone to rely on. Great one day. Awful the next.
NVM SA should go to Hicks I love her. I know she is inconsistent too, but not to that degree. Or McBeath.

LOL..... Hicks is just as inconsistent... for sure.. but at least she has won some GP medals.....

USFSA usually decides the TBD SkAm spots right before Champs Camp, right? So if its someone with no assignments they then get to attend Camp... so we have about a month to go.....

Cleo1782

LOL..... Hicks is just as inconsistent... for sure.. but at least she has won some GP medals.....

USFSA usually decides the TBD SkAm spots right before Champs Camp, right? So if its someone with no assignments they then get to attend Camp... so we have about a month to go.....

We will see who is invited to Champs Camp ie last year Dee and Nate, Ashley and Tim and Bradie were all invited without assignments then got them. That's basically how you know...

StitchMonkey

Just happened to be reading the threads and responded.

Is there a problem with that?
Feeling unpatriotic, but maybe they can horsetrade that 3rd ladies spot at SKAM to another country for...considerations?

Larkyn Austman is North American and trains in Colo Springs... how about her as a comprise.

At the rate this summer is going Carly Gold should have stuck around... she could have a very legit shot at SA at this point.

I am a tad disappointed in our ladies. Perhaps not competing was wise of Angela Wang... her placement at US Nationals might leave her a front runner.

I also hope they don't totally ditch Amber... she showed a lot of comeback girt this summer, I am not sure i would give her SA, but id like to see her get a second senior B/Challenger event this season.

beckab81

It was a ROUGH skate - popped her first jump, and just kept popping. I think she may have only completed 2 of her planned jumps. She walked straight into the locker room coming off the ice. :yikes:

Vagabond

Feeling unpatriotic, but maybe they can horsetrade that 3rd ladies spot at SKAM to another country for...considerations?
Larkyn Austman is North American and trains in Colo Springs... how about her
:lol: As if it were that easy!

If the USFSA gives back the third spot, it has to take one of the top ten remaining age-eligible skaters on the Season's Best list who doesn't have two Grand Prix assignments. And it can't be a Russian or a Japanese, since their federations have already maxed out their spots. AFAIK, the only alternatives in the Top 50 are two South Koreans and a Chinese.

Austman isn't in the Top 75, so she cannot even be considered.

I recommend accepting fate and hoping for the best. :)

eurodance2001

@AngieNikodinovLove Ikr. I saw that score on @Sylvia 's website and I thought that the 122 point total was the FS point total instead of the SP+FS total! It's insane that her FS total score was roughly equal to the SP score. She must have really bombed at a new level or there was a scoring system glitch.

Maybe it's coming from a synchro background, but I was always told to emote like that so that even people in the rafters could see your expressions. Ashley's expressions can also look cheesy on video. Either way, I felt that both of their on-ice expressions are perfectly appropriate for a large arena in which you're trying to entertain those up in the rafters.

I agree that if she's not going to grow she needs some skating skills lessons. Her crossovers and edges are very junior. They remind me of Alina Zagitova, which could be a good or a bad thing. It could be bad if they accurately judge her skating skills in competition or good if she gets good enough at jumping that the judges decide to completely ignore the skating skills.

She's one of the skaters I think could benefit from some synchro coaching - because that discipline focuses on strong stroking and posture like dance but utilizes and teaches a lot more crossovers. I swear the top synchro skaters in the world are the best cross-over doers in the world. She's down by LA - maybe she can get California Gold or Team Del Sol's coach to help out.

Who were the judges? Did this competition have mostly brand new ISU-approved judges? Maybe they're just not used to judging an international field.

http://www.fsatresults.com/ISUchallenger/SEG003OF.HTM

The US judge is Todd Bromley; he’s judged for years.

Debbie S

Amber had a rough skate. Popped most of her jumps. I hope she can get some consistency this year. She is a powerful skater and her jumps are huge.

Maybe Starr will get the SA spot? The highest scorers among Senior Ladies so far are Alysa and Ting...Alysa is age-ineligible and Ting is probably better-suited to the JGP right now...as much as I'd love to see her receive such an honor, I think she prob needs another year in Junior internationally.

Cleo1782

:lol: As if it were that easy!

If the USFSA gives back the third spot, it has to take one of the top ten remaining age-eligible skaters on the Season's Best list who doesn't have two Grand Prix assignments. And it can't be a Russian or a Japanese, since their federations have already maxed out their spots. AFAIK, the only alternatives in the Top 50 are two South Koreans and a Chinese.

Austman isn't in the Top 75, so she cannot even be considered.

I recommend accepting fate and hoping for the best. :)
Besides, no offense to Austman, but we have better girls here than that. At least Wang or Hicks or just give it to Gold even though I don't have much hope for her...

Frida80

The reason the scores are all over the place is because this is the first official ISU competition to use the new judging system. I think one of the reasons Asian Open was chosen is because it was so much earlier than everything else and could be used as a test run before the JGP. Now ISU can give judges more clarity on how they should be judging before the JGP.

Frida80

Amber had a rough skate. Popped most of her jumps. I hope she can get some consistency this year. She is a powerful skater and her jumps are huge.

Maybe Starr will get the SA spot? The highest scorers among Senior Ladies so far are Alysa and Ting...Alysa is age-ineligible and Ting is probably better-suited to the JGP right now...as much as I'd love to see her receive such an honor, I think she prob needs another year in Junior internationally.

Starr is already going to SA. Ting has already decided to do the JGP and can't do both. I think Meghan W. has ok scores. 171 at Glacier Falls.

Cleo1782

Ooops! I forgot Starr already had SA. Yes, Megan W seems like the next logical choice.
Wessenberg or Lin. Both had very similar scores, but McBeath winning the Philly International might hold some weight. I would doubt it would go to any of them. Probably Hicks or Wang pick up a second

Frida80

Wessenberg or Lin. Both had very similar scores, but McBeath winning the Philly International might hold some weight. I would doubt it would go to any of them. Probably Hicks or Wang pick up a second

Ashley Lin is going to compete on the JGP as well. This is a simulateous delight and frustration when several of the top scoring seniors are technically juniors. We'll see some improvement on the JGP but uncertainty in the senior GP.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Probably Hicks or Wang pick up a second

Nah, I don't like that at all, and I say that as a fan of both skaters. Wang hasn't done well this summer and Hicks hasn't competed at all that I know of. Katie M., Megan W., or Amber G. IMO. Ashley Lin is on the JGP alternate list.

Cleo1782

Nah, I don't like that at all, and I say that as a fan of both skaters. Wang hasn't done well this summer and Hicks hasn't competed at all that I know of. Katie M., Megan W., or Amber G. IMO. Ashley Lin is on the JGP alternate list.

I don't care one way or another, but in theory it makes more sense to have Hicks or Wang go as Hicks has medaled randomly at GP's at different times and Wang could as well. Katie, Megan, and Amber would not. Amber has the ability but never the focus and Katie and Megan really aren't at that level. It's nice to give spots to new girls, but it would make more sense to send girls with at least a shot at a medal.

It's like sending Sean Rabbit to SKAM. Love Sean Rabbit, but without a 3a he isn't competitive so it makes no sense. As a person, I would love for everyone to get a chance, but the USFS is a federation and they have to the most logical decisions-which of course means they will make the worst lol

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
I don't think a score of 160 or 170 in a summer comp is all that competitive internationally. So I'd say send whoever scores the highest even if she has some bad outings. None of these girls would medal at SA anyway, but send whoever may score in the top half of the pack.

Dobre

Hicks hasn't competed at all that I know of.

Based on comments in the U.S. ladies thread on GS, I think she's currently and/or just finished competing at something called the DuPage Open? I haven't seen any scores for her performances there yet.

She skated the SP only section at the Broadmoor Open and finished 4th.

Cleo1782

Based on comments in the U.S. ladies thread on GS, I think she's currently and/or just finished competing at something called the DuPage Open? I haven't seen any scores for her performances there yet.

She skated the SP only section at the Broadmoor Open and finished 4th.

The DuPage Open is/used to be a pretty large event in the Chicago area. It used to be a pretty marquee event for UGL ladies back in the day, but I don't know if that's changed. DuPage and Skokie Valley are the two biggest clubs in the Chicago area. I think Alexa S-K represents it domestically still. I think Brown represents Skokie Valley and Gracie does Wagon Wheel. I think those are the big 3 in the area.

rinettoii

I was just using Wayback Machine to do some investigating. I think USFS literally chooses whoever has the highest summer score that doesn't already have 2 assignments. Of course, they have to consider other factors, but it follows what I said really closely.

2017: https://web.archive.org/web/20170908193505/https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/top-ten/
Bradie had the 2nd highest score, which she got at Philly, after Karen. Karen already had 2, so Bradie got it. Ross had the 3rd highest score, which he got at Glacier Falls, after Vincent and Adam. Vincent and Adam both had 2, so Ross got it.

2016: https://web.archive.org/web/20160730073216/https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/top-ten/
Mariah had the 3rd highest score, which she got at Broadmoor. Before her were Vivian Le and Tessa Hong. Vivian was doing JGP and Tessa was age-ineligible. Tim Dolensky had the highest score, which he got at Skate Detroit, and he got the SkAm TBD.

2015: https://web.archive.org/web/20150923043415/https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/top-ten/
Karen had the 2nd highest score after Gracie, and she got the TBD. Ross got the TBD here, but it could have gone to Grant or Tim, but this is where the "considering other factors" comes in.

This is just a really lose analysis, and I'd love to hear other people's perspectives.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The DuPage Open is/used to be a pretty large event in the Chicago area. It used to be a pretty marquee event for UGL ladies back in the day, but I don't know if that's changed. DuPage and Skokie Valley are the two biggest clubs in the Chicago area. I think Alexa S-K represents it domestically still. I think Brown represents Skokie Valley and Gracie does Wagon Wheel. I think those are the big 3 in the area.

You said it, sister!

And dont forget Evan Lysacek is also DuPage.

I feel like SoCal and suburban Chicago have the most figure skaters representation in the USA.

Cleo1782

You said it, sister!

And dont forget Evan Lysacek is also DuPage.

I feel like SoCal and suburban Chicago have the most figure skaters in the USA.

Lol! I am just a Chicago girl before I moved to Lake Arrowhead. Proudly repped Wagon Wheel for years... Along with Deanna Stellato :) Bradie represented Wagon Wheel too until she changed to Skokie Valley this year. Sad...

I thought lysacheck was SV but he might have been DuPage as a wee one....He changed to Skating Club of NY though I think

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Lol! I am just a Chicago girl before I moved to Lake Arrowhead. Proudly repped Wagon Wheel for years... Along with Deanna Stellato :) Bradie represented Wagon Wheel too until she changed to Skokie Valley this year. Sad...

Are we related? I grew up in suburban Chicago, moved to SoCal for college and stayed.

in 98-99 I can't tell you how many times I drove up to Lake Arrowhead to bumrush Michelle Kwan. Is that where you live now? Im down the mountain from you. :)

I still remember in when outing I bumrushed Michelle in 00 and once I was satisfied drove to the movie theatre in Big Bear and saw Sixth Sense.... ahh, memories!!!!!!

Last edited:

Cleo1782

Umm.. maybe? I was born in Evanston? Went to Glenbrook South and then graduated from Rim the World in 2000. 98-99 I was there. PM me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information