U.S. Ladies [#21]: Wrapped Up with a Neat Little BOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I don't want to get into it because this is a U.S. ladies thread, but if you thought Osmond's score was ''pretty fair'' with a step (fall?) and a near touch down on another jump, and the ur calls for some that then disappeared in the final group, and how does Kostner get such high GOEs (and transition marks) without doing any transitions into her triples...and on and on...

ITA. :respec: Judging was absolutely NOT consistent when it came to mistakes and that final group! It was unfair to the skaters that came before (not just the Americans). And OT but imo Gabby should have been no lower than 4th.

shady82

ITA. :respec: Judging was absolutely NOT consistent when it came to mistakes and that final group! It was unfair to the skaters that came before (not just the Americans). And OT but imo Gabby should have been no lower than 4th.

The judging in the short was absymal and inconsistent. Why are none of Sotskova's URs called, but Dabin Choi got (I believe) three URs? Dabin's program was a 60+ program (perhaps even 65+), but unfortunately, that's not how the program was scored.

For US ladies, it wasn't so bad, the only person's placement I would question is Mirai's.

bardtoob

Mirai is a fighter and wants to dominate... she did not give up after 2014, continued to skate, had 2 difficult seasons and setbacks, still did not give up, did not stuff her face with cookies and cried about skinny younger girls... she went and learn a 3A, lost weight, worked on her programmes and content. She placed 2nd at Nationals, beating a young uprising current National Champion and another Natl. Champion known for a pushy loud and aggressive attitude. Mirai is not only a fighter but "remembered the old offense" and reversed the events... She went to Olys, and #4 stayed home. And if anyone tells me that what happened @ 2014 was not a motivating factor for Mirai and she did not have the satisfaction of the last laugh, i will giggle.... :D ..
...and let's not forget, which girl's BFF took Mirai to the Oscars as a couple of two Olympic TE Bronze Medalists? :EVILLE:
http://www.latimes.com/resizer/iaOG...la-lb-media-nagasu-rippon-20180304-205413/900

Bradie and Karen are also fighters, good ones too. Each does it in her own way. One can't be a National winner and a medalist if one is not a good competitor.

I appreciate the kindness of your words towards Mirai.

Tinami Amori

I appreciate the kindness of your words towards Mirai.
why? Mirai since times of King Solomon was my favorite US girl before Karen and Bradie showed up... now i like all 3, and it's hard to pick which one to cheer for. Just like Med and Zag on the Russian side... :D

Fact check ;): Mirai and Adam were invited together to the Oscars by Access, the syndicated TV entertainment show. One did not choose the other.
I know... :lol: "took to the event" does not mean "invited her" (to me), but rather in a social sense, "accompanied".... as in "a gentleman is taking a lady to the opera".

Willin

Props to Mirai for adding choreography back into her program for Worlds (though I wish she added more before the 2A if she wasn't going to attempt the 3A). It did seem like she was back to her old obvious UR habits. Since she's been with Tom Z I've noticed that when she's rested and in tip top shape she won't have nearly as many URs (ie. Olympics Team, to some extent Olympics singles). If she does skate next year I hope she commits to training all out so that she's always in tip top shape and not getting tons of URs.

eurodance2001

Same as what I said yesterday in the pairs thread: ladies are down to two spots now for 2019 Worlds. No BOW carries over into the new quad. Top 2 finishers from both Nationals AND Four Continents get sent to Worlds. That way you have two separate sets of panels deciding the World team based on actual numbers. Regular monitoring and feedback to be given and USFS needs to get real about accurate callers being used for their events.

Carolla5501

That still absolves Bradie, Mirai and Karen, even partially, of the way they skated. Placing blame on another skater (who isn't even in the event) is not a good way to excuse a performance...if by chance your gut feeling is correct.

Her actions were plain as day for everyone to see. Both had similar mistakes but Ashley out-skated Karen at nationals. Karen was held up; Ashley wasn't. This was a case where Ashley's actions (i.e. her performances) did backup her claims.

I am so over the Ashley was robbed Chant

She showed up with a new program, did a half way decent job on it with not great jumps and expected To get rewarded for being who she is.

There is absolutely no reason to assume she would have been any better at the Olympics are at worlds. She wasn’t any better earlier in the season.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Im confused why Mirai was all 2 axels... All season we see these IG 3 axels, Jackie says at Worlds the 3axels are looking good, and then get out there to compete and its doubles?

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Im confused why Mirai was all 2 axels... All season we see these IG 3 axels, Jackie says at Worlds the 3axels are looking good, and then get out there to compete and its doubles?

And Zagitova fell 4 times. Nerves, fatigue, wanting to go out with a clean program, who knows for sure. Doesn't diminish her history-making moment in Pyeongchang. Very proud of Mirai this season despite her flaws.

Former FS FAN

It would have been great if mirai had skated clean. She would have been placed ahead of Bradie. The on screen score box had her TES 15 points higher than Bradie. Then the reviews came and she lost 13 points.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I really hope to see an all-new slate of US ladies along with Bradie next season. Dear Lord, no more Senior Skins and Publicity Hounds! Go off to Dance With the Stars!!!

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I’m not wuzrobbing Wagner, but her usual would’ve gone well with Cinderella’s 6th place, what is done is done though, there will be 3 U.S. ladies at worlds again (if) and when the U.S. field is competitive enough again, plus hopefully this brings out more of the competitive drive in our ladies and less of the nerves and >> next season.

I’ll totally put :bribe: on the world team next season being Tennell and Andrews.

Former FS FAN

I don't want to see Bradie. Her skating is BORING. She is the Ameican flash in the pan of 2017-18. Remember 2 years ago when Courtney Hicks skated well at Skate America. Mariah Bell the same a year later. Tennell makes her SENIOR DEBUT AT 19, skates well at Skate America and has a good season (which will be her high point.) Next year the third American lady at Skate America will be the GREAT HOPE. These ladies are not good performers. It was so evident when Wakaba took the ice after Mirai and Bradie finished.

Last edited:

Stephanie

I’m not wuzrobbing Wagner, but her usual would’ve gone well with Cinderella’s 6th place, what is done is done though, there will be 3 U.S. ladies at worlds again (if) and when the U.S. field is competitive enough again, plus hopefully this brings out more of the competitive drive in our ladies and less of the nerves and >> next season.

I’ll totally put :bribe: on the world team next season being Tennell and Andrews.

Ting Cui will be old enough too ;)

Sylvia

TBD
ISU's Quick Quotes after the FS:

Bradie:
When I’m skating my long program I go on auto-pilot: I have trained this program so many times at this point I know what every beat is in the music and where I should be on that music, so it’s really about going out there and just enjoying myself. My favorite performance of the year has to be at Nationals this year: there was so much that went into that performance and so much that I overcame that watching it back, I feel that way all over again. I feel really good about my performance here as well. This season has really been a season of firsts for me and I’m very proud of the way I’ve handled it and skated. I think there’s a lot in store for me in the future.

Mirai:
I feel really good. It was a long season and I wanted to finish strongly and I did my best to do that. Especially with the Olympics I think we can all say it was a difficult but rewarding journey. Although I may have dropped a couple of places I'm proud of what I did. I definitely had some under-rotations but my job is not to judge. Performing is my favorite part of skating and I did that and things out of my control I can't even begin to worry about. I think I've always been a crowd-pleaser and I'm really looking forward to Stars on Ice.

Mariah:
It's such a tricky thing because this is so new to me. It's no excuse but being called up late is a different pressure to the normal pressure at a competition. Training to go to a competition and training to maybe go to a competition require a different mindset. But I'm grateful I had this opportunity. I plan to skate for many more years and I'll learn from this. The beginning wasn't as it was planned to be so I was fighting through. I was basically making it up to try to salvage some points. I've got so much experience from being here and that's what I'll take away from it.

Bellanca

I really hope to see an all-new slate of US ladies along with Bradie next season. Dear Lord, no more Senior Skins and Publicity Hounds! Go off to Dance With the Stars!!!
A clean slate w/Bradie still in the mix would be nice. That is the beauty of ending one quad and starting a new one... Whew! I must say, I'm more than ready.

ETA: Mariah upping her game and improving would be nice, too, if we are talking about a couple of carryovers from this quad. Otherwise, I'm ready for new faces and a change of scenery. It seems appropriate for how fickle the sport is right now. ;) Competition at its best - unpredictable!

Last edited:

GreatLakesGal

A clean slate w/Bradie still in the mix would be nice. That is the beauty of ending one quad and starting a new one... Whew! I must say, I'm more than ready.

ETA: Mariah upping her game and improving would be nice, too, if we are talking about a couple of carryovers from this quad. Otherwise, I'm ready for new faces and a change of scenery. It seems appropriate for how fickle the sport is right now. ;) Competition at its best - unpredictable!

Both Bradie and Mariah seem to really love skating and I don't think either of them have reached their potential yet. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do next season.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
[QUOTE="DimaToe, post: 5336909, member:

I’ll totally put :bribe: on the world team next season being Tennell and Andrews.[/QUOTE]

If, by January 2019, Both Tennell and Andrews will have earned high points during the GPS and proven themselves worthy of Worlds berths, then great.

NAOTMAA

I suppose they didn't want to take the risk considering the reputation the caller had and Mirai being inconsistent with it in actual competition compared to practices. I'm sure her team debated it over and over before making the decision.

Everybody seemed to be judged with extra harshness with little to no benefit of doubt. The Japanese girls were lucky the tech caller was a countryman because, with them being pron to multiple urs, it could have been just as bad for them, especially Satoko (who got away with only 2 calls).

As for the other girls Mariah really needs to find a way to beat those SP demons, its killing her. At the same time 12th isn't too bad considering she was called to duty at a rather late moment (she still was capable of doing better though) then most would have liked. And Bradie did great to finish 6th at her first worlds. It will be interesting to see how she continues to develop. I don't think Karen or Ashley would have done any better then Bradie or Mariah. In fact I think Bradie and Mariah finished exactly where Karen and Ashley would have likely ended up.

mag

The Japanese girls were lucky the tech caller was a countryman because, with them being pron to multiple urs, it could have been just as bad for them, especially Satoko (who got away with only 2 calls).

You do realize that you have just accused the tech panel of cheating, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information