U.S. Ladies [#21]: Wrapped Up with a Neat Little BOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So glad Mirai skates after Bradie! I don't know why I think that will matter, but I feel like Mirai can go for broke if Bradie does well. I suppose someone else could argue differently.

If their placements hold, we'll only have 2 spots. But if Mirai can somehow pull up to 5th and Bradie hold her position, they'll pull off a miracle.

berthesghost

Well I guess the bar really has been set low if we’re excited by the us nat champ getting 9th in PCs for a clean skate and not even making the final warm up group at a wateredown post oly worlds. Maybe she’ll hold her spot, but if the two below her, who still got higher pcs despite mistakes, skate clean, she may even drop.

RockTheTassel

Mirai:I think the program went really great. I didn’t do the triple Axel so I could focus on the program and performing instead of the jumps. (On the possibility of doing it in the Free Skating) Maybe, who knows? The conditions here are so great. There a so many people and I love Italy. I have already been to the Duomo. To be here and to skate in Italy has been amazing. (On landing the triple Axel in PyeongChang) It’s at the very beginning of my program and so I wanted to celebrate but I didn’t have time to but at the end I think you could see that I was very happy.

If Mirai were going to pull the 3A, then I wish she had given the program more in terms of performance and content. Sacrificing some of the PCS to focus on the 3A is understandable, but if she doesn't do the 3A then she needs to put that effort towards other aspects of the program. I'm also a little concerned by her nonchalance about the LP because she sort of brushed in aside in favor of talking about her love for Italy. Italy's beautiful, but you're at Worlds! Bring the competitive fire.

Spun Silver

If Mirai were going to pull the 3A, then I wish she had given the program more in terms of performance and content. Sacrificing some of the PCS to focus on the 3A is understandable, but if she doesn't do the 3A then she needs to put that effort towards other aspects of the program. I'm also a little concerned by her nonchalance about the LP because she sort of brushed in aside in favor of talking about her love for Italy. Italy's beautiful, but you're at Worlds! Bring the competitive fire.
It sounds like she is out of gas. She ran out after the Team Event and since then she has been in celebration mode. It's a little disappointing but understandable. That TE skate was out of this world, and I don't think Mirai was ever seriously aiming at podium finishes.

Frida80

It sounds like she is out of gas. She ran out after the Team Event and since then she has been in celebration mode. It's a little disappointing but understandable. That TE skate was out of this world, and I don't think Mirai was ever seriously aiming at podium finishes.

I think it's more than that. After her FS, as a defense she tried to put a positive spin on things. Over the last days her 3A wasn't clean and she's got to be judge by Shin Amano of all people. She probably really nervous, considering how hard he is on jumps. She clearly wanted to play it safe for the FS. Her score, even with a DG was still around her best for the season, in fact 2nd best score for the season. That's because she focused on her spins and footwork. Her PCS score jumped from 30.69 to 32.45 from the Olympics. I think the strategy was to place it safe for the SP and then go all out for the long.

In the Olympics she put way too much pressure on herself to get on the podium. After the SP she was devastated that she couldn't rally for the long and pushed herself to get through it. Today she seems more upbeat. She said before Worlds that she determined much better FS at Worlds. All season she's had a much better FS than SP. I hope that now that her less consistent program is done now she can relax and deliver the FS she wants.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Mariah: "I found out I was coming just two days before I left so it was pretty unexpected to be here. But I've been training as though I was coming but I didn't know if I was preparing for Worlds or preparing for nothing."

I'm a little confused with Mariah's remarks - that she only found out about going to Worlds just two days before she left??Maybe I read Wagner's interview comments about it wrong, but Ashley seemed to say she gave Bell the heads up well in advance, that she herself wouldn't be going to Worlds, giving Mariah plenty of time to get ready. I'll have to go back and reread what Wagner said to make sure.

Mirai skated conservative I thought in the SP, but very well just the same. Considering she was only credited with a 3F-2T combo, her score was quite good! And her PCS did go up a few points! I WAS disappointed that she didn't go for the 3A but from practice reports she seems to have lost her mojo on that tough jump. I hope she goes for it in the FS but if she doesn't I hope she nails all of her jumps and ROTATES ROTATES ROTATES because Mr. Shin Amano doesn't play!

Bradie is back to her terrifically consistent self!! I'm so pleased for her! Imo, she was underscored and should have been in the top six, skating in the Final FS group!

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm also a little concerned by her nonchalance about the LP because she sort of brushed in aside in favor of talking about her love for Italy. Italy's beautiful, but you're at Worlds! Bring the competitive fire.
That's the way she deals with interviews. It's like she doesn't really want to talk about how she skated or how she will skate. I don't care how she talks in these interviews because it's what happens on the ice that's important.

Sylvia

TBD
I'm a little confused with Mariah's remarks - that she only found out about going to Worlds just two days before she left??Maybe I read Wagner's interview comments about it wrong, but Ashley seemed to say she gave Bell the heads up well in advance, that she herself wouldn't be going to Worlds, giving Mariah plenty of time to get ready.
Karen officially withdrew on March 16; Mariah was added after Ashley officially declined as Worlds first alternate.

I think 7th for Bradie in the SP was fine (relative to this field).

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Yes, she knew she was going to be an alternate; she just didn't know an alternate would be needed.

Bradie's and Mirai's comments are SO them. :lol: "I just want to go out and have fun." "Italy's so cool and I got to see this and that!"

Last edited:

Willin

I'm a little confused with Mariah's remarks - that she only found out about going to Worlds just two days before she left??Maybe I read Wagner's interview comments about it wrong, but Ashley seemed to say she gave Bell the heads up well in advance, that she herself wouldn't be going to Worlds, giving Mariah plenty of time to get ready. I'll have to go back and reread what Wagner said to make sure.

I think she meant that she was still an alternate and had no indication that anyone was going to drop off the team. Karen didn't officially withdraw until Friday. Assuming practices started Monday, she would've had to leave Sunday.

I'm more confused by Karen's late withdrawal. Healthy skaters usually don't withdraw that close to a competition, and most skaters who go to the Olympics only to turn down worlds announce that at or shortly after the Olympics, so a week ago she probably assumed there was almost 0 chance she'd go. I wonder why Karen chose to withdraw so late if there was no injury. Maybe there was one and she just didn't share it?

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Karen officially withdrew on March 16; Mariah was added after Ashley officially declined as Worlds first alternate.

That's right!! I totally forgot about Karen withdrawing so late! It still makes me wonder if it was boots for Karen, injury or something else? Still, as an alternate one is suppose to keep right on training - just in case, no matter how close to the event it is! But it IS hard to find out just a couple of days before flying off to the event!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Yes, she knew she was going to be an alternate; she just didn't know an alternate would be needed.

Bradie's and Mariah's comments are SO them. :lol: "I just want to go out and have fun." "Italy's so cool and I got to see this and that!"

I think it was Mirai who made the comments about Italy, not Mariah. And you're right, it IS so them! :D

RockTheTassel

That's the way she deals with interviews. It's like she doesn't really want to talk about how she skated or how she will skate. I don't care how she talks in these interviews because it's what happens on the ice that's important.

Eh. Personally, I notice a difference between Mirai earlier in the season compared to now. She used to be more enthusiastic about skating and talked a lot about her 3A. Now it seems like she's deflecting to other things. That can be a decent strategy, but it's the different mindset post-Olympics versus a few months ago that gives me pause. I don't know if her heart is really in it this time around, but hopefully she can finish strong in the LP, with or without the 3A.

Frida80

Eh. Personally, I notice a difference between Mirai earlier in the season compared to now. She used to be more enthusiastic about skating and talked a lot about her 3A. Now it seems like she's deflecting to other things. That can be a decent strategy, but it's the different mindset post-Olympics versus a few months ago that gives me pause. I don't know if her heart is really in it this time around, but hopefully she can finish strong in the LP, with or without the 3A.

ITs different now because of Shin Amano on the tech panel. Before every competition this season Mirai was nailing perfect 3As in practice, until the individual event at the Olympics. After that, I’m sure Tom and Mirai are being a bit more cautious, considering the damage Shin could do.

What she doesn’t want to say she’s going to do a 3A if she’s not 100% sure if she going to do it. If she’s feeling more confident tomorrow and those 3As are snapping like before, she definately put it in.

Last edited:

shady82

I think it was a decent outing considering what the U.S. girls could do. Mariah had her usual mishap in the SP, but both Bradie and Mirai did quite well. Especially Bradie. Mirai should have been ahead of Wakaba (who is one of my favorite ladies this season). But considering it was a VERY poorly scored SP with not only excessive but also inconsistent calls on jump rotations, this issue is relatively mild.

I don't see the USA getting three spots next year unless something very unusual happens, and I'm ok with it. It's not our time now, but it may be again in the future. What I really hope though, is that Japan gets three spots back.

Dobre

I thought Mirai performed her SP better than she has all year. I'm kind of ??? at the comments saying the reverse.

Missed Mariah's because the links I've seen are blocked & Ice Network doesn't seem to have posted the ladies SPs yet.

Bradie, I think did very well for herself. Kudos on a clean skate.

I would really like to see someone help her use her arms to tell the story of the music rather than point them everywhere. I've felt this way since last year. That the arm choreo is too busy & arbitrary. I just watched the Patrick Commentates Skating on Evan's Olympic freeskate, and it is exactly the same problem. Arms everywhere, but not put to good use. I would really think a choreographer could help with that. Not with everything performance-related, but at least with purposeful movement.

Happy about Carolina's short!

Marco

Mariah should have just left that lutz alone, and tag a 2toe after the flip. I love this program and felt she sold it well. I guess the jinx of the repeated Chicago short program for the 3rd ranked US lady continues at Worlds... I do expect her to deliver a strong free skate and climb up.

It looks like the caller isn't as crazily generous as the ones at US Nationals or the Olympics (except for Maria S). Not good news for Mirai and for the 3rd US spot. I feel Wakaba and even Tursynbaeva deserved higher PCS.

Bradie is back to her solid old self but it is going to be a tough battle to keep that third spot. Bradie and Mirai need to improve by 3 placements between them.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Mariah should have just left that lutz alone, and tag a 2toe after the flip. I love this program and felt she sold it well. I guess the jinx of the repeated Chicago short program for the blonde 3rd ranked US lady continues at Worlds... I do expect her to deliver a strong free skate and climb up.

It looks like the caller isn't as crazily generous as the ones at US Nationals or the Olympics (except for Maria S). Not good news for Mirai and for the 3rd US spot. I feel Wakaba and even Tursynbaeva deserved higher PCS.

Bradie is back to her solid old self but it is going to be a tough battle to keep that third spot. Bradie and Mirai need to improve by 3 placements between them.
She's not blonde?

Marco

Oops thanks for point that out, I was thinking of Jenny. It wasn't relevant anyway. :p

berthesghost

I think it was a decent outing considering what the U.S. girls could do.
this is true. It also depresses me a bit.
I don't see the USA getting three spots next year unless something very unusual happens, and I'm ok with it.
yup. Even if the #1 pair can move up one spot to top 10, what’s the point if the #2 pair can’t even qualify. Sheesh.

bardtoob

So glad Mirai skates after Bradie! I don't know why I think that will matter, but I feel like Mirai can go for broke if Bradie does well. I suppose someone else could argue differently.

If their placements hold, we'll only have 2 spots. But if Mirai can somehow pull up to 5th and Bradie hold her position, they'll pull off a miracle.

Mirai, like all the US ladies, is a bad competitor. They are not mentally prepared to dominate. If the US is lucky, it gets a skater that is naturally dominant.

However, Mirai is very talented and can make things happens when pressed (ie risk of losing the team bronze). It is probably only because the team bronze was at risk that she did the 8 triple LP. Of course, it is reasonable for her to presume she will never be allowed to beat certain skaters.

I think Mirai could win World bronze this year with a repeat of the 8 triple LP and some splats and downgrades by a couple of skaters at this Worlds, given her TES base advantage in the scenario.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Mirai, like all the US ladies, is a bad competitor. They are not mentally prepared to dominate. If the US is lucky, it gets a skater that is naturally dominant..
Mirai is a fighter and wants to dominate... she did not give up after 2014, continued to skate, had 2 difficult seasons and setbacks, still did not give up, did not stuff her face with cookies and cried about skinny younger girls... she went and learn a 3A, lost weight, worked on her programmes and content. She placed 2nd at Nationals, beating a young uprising current National Champion and another Natl. Champion known for a pushy loud and aggressive attitude. Mirai is not only a fighter but "remembered the old offense" and reversed the events... She went to Olys, and #4 stayed home. And if anyone tells me that what happened @ 2014 was not a motivating factor for Mirai and she did not have the satisfaction of the last laugh, i will giggle.... :D ..
...and let's not forget, which girl's BFF took Mirai to the Oscars as a couple of two Olympic TE Bronze Medalists? :EVILLE:
http://www.latimes.com/resizer/iaOG...la-lb-media-nagasu-rippon-20180304-205413/900

Bradie and Karen are also fighters, good ones too. Each does it in her own way. One can't be a National winner and a medalist if one is not a good competitor.

Last edited:

Jammers

US ladies are in trouble for the next few years of getting that 3rd spot back if they lose it tomorrow. It took Ashley rising to near the top of the international ranks and then Gracie coming along with her crazy technical ability and jumps to get the 3rd spot back right before the 2014 Olympics. Only good thing is having a whole Olympic cycle to get it back but i don't see this current crop of girls doing it unless skaters like Karen get it together.

Maximillian

RIP TA
I actually think the judging was pretty fair, especially with regards to the Americans.
I don't want to get into it because this is a U.S. ladies thread, but if you thought Osmond's score was ''pretty fair'' with a step (fall?) and a near touch down on another jump, and the ur calls for some that then disappeared in the final group, and how does Kostner get such high GOEs (and transition marks) without doing any transitions into her triples...and on and on...

wickedwitch

I don't want to get into it because this is a U.S. ladies thread, but if you thought Osmond's score was ''pretty fair'' with a step (fall?) and a near touch down on another jump, and the ur calls for some that then disappeared in the final group, and how does Kostner get such high GOEs (and transition marks) without doing any transitions into her triples...and on and on...
I didn't say it was perfect. And, IMO, none of those issues affected the American's placements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information