U.S. Ladies [#21]: Wrapped Up with a Neat Little BOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

I loved watching it as a spectator. I love watching the winner's reaction when s/he realizes that s/he has won. It is easy when the winner skates last or close to last - we can simply watch the K&C. This is harder when the eventual winner skates before the other contender. I really enjoyed watching Queen Aliona's reaction to having won. Although I would also hate to see what Michelle's reaction would be when she realized that Tara had won.
I would love to see how Freakin reacted when she found out she had won at Cup of China in 2003. She was nonplussed when her Free Skating score went up. :giggle:

Dobre

And I would have loved to see Denis's reaction when he found out he had won Olympic bronze.

But I don't think we see a free, open reaction when athletes are sitting on the couch. They aren't surrounded by their coaches and/or support system there. They are surrounded by their competitors. Sometimes attempting to show empathy. Sometimes trying not to be shown celebrating when someone else has a bad skate. Some of them get to sit next to a teammate who happens to likewise be on the podium. And some of them are emotionally on their own.

Just, overall, not the best environment most athletes could have when realizing their Olympic dream. Or when losing it.

Of course, it was a kick when Nam & Misha were there for ages at the 2015 Worlds just thrilled to be finishing top 10. But when you get to the athletes who are actually medal contenders, it's mostly just tense & uncomfortable. Even when they hug & you know they respect their competition, you also know they'd rather be celebrating or crying during that particular moment with someone else.

skateboy

But I don't think we see a free, open reaction when athletes are sitting on the couch. They aren't surrounded by their coaches and/or support system there. They are surrounded by their competitors. Sometimes attempting to show empathy. Sometimes trying not to be shown celebrating when someone else has a bad skate. Some of them get to sit next to a teammate who happens to likewise be on the podium. And some of them are emotionally on their own.
Agreed.

I do like the backstage "leaders couch," but would like it more if they didn't show it during another skater's score, especially when the outcome determines a podium or gold medal placement. So awkward.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I just think the Leader's Box doesn't provide the kind of compelling tv that the people who came up with the idea were expecting.

As for Karen Chen, I don't think we know exactly what is going on with her skates. Unless I've missed something. But the USFS press release didn't mention a reason for her withdrawing.

Willin

Yeah. Karen may have withdrawn because of skates, but there's plenty of reasons to withdraw - post-Olympics rest, injury, coaching change, re-evaluating skating plans, needing a mental break, etc.

Marco

Agreed.

I do like the backstage "leaders couch," but would like it more if they didn't show it during another skater's score, especially when the outcome determines a podium or gold medal placement. So awkward.

And when you are waiting to see if you win or medal, you can't help but overjoy when someone else makes a mistake. It's not necessarily bad sportsmanship. Just natural reaction.

Back in 2002 and 2006, they had the backstage cam for Sarah and Shizuka which was great to see. I wonder why they didn't have that for Yuna in 2010 (there was the scene for Evan). In 2014, they didn't really show Adelina's reaction but just her running around. Not sure if they showed Yuzuru's reaction when Patrick's score came.

Jammers

Karen Chen reminds me of Denis Ten. Crazy talented but with issues like boot problems or other things all the time which takes away from her talent. She's as hit and miss as Denis was too.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
Yeah. Karen may have withdrawn because of skates, but there's plenty of reasons to withdraw - post-Olympics rest, injury, coaching change, re-evaluating skating plans, needing a mental break, etc.

I am very concerned for Karen. I can imagine she was just so fed up with her season and bombing (for her talent level) at the Olympics that she decided to just be done with it and withdraw from Worlds. I don't think I have ever heard of a skater having so much problems with their boots. Yes, boots break down but she can't seem to find even one pair new that works for her. It makes me wonder if this is more a Karen problem and less a boot problem.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.

I like the idea of the couch, but it is uncomfortable seeing three people all cheerful yet knowing one of them most likely is on the chopping block, like a lamb to a slaughter! It's new, so I'll adjust, but I always feel badly for the cut skater who has to sit there until the skater who displaced him comes and shakes his hand and says buh-bye.

UGG

I think if they want to have the couch, maybe wait until the final group to do it. Have whoever is in top 3 at the end of 2nd to last group sit on the couch at the start of the final group and go from there. It’s kind of embarrassing to sit there knowing you skated first, scored a 98 in you long program, knowing you are going to have to walk away.

berthesghost

She had an injury to her feet so she no longer has "normal" feet. So I guess that's a "Karen" problem because it's her feet and no one else's. But it's a real physical problem, not made up.
I applaud your confidence. At this point, Karen has spoken so many word but never really said anything. She has a back injury so bad she shouldn’t even be skating, but she is because the sign a true champion is being able to find a doctor with a different opinion, maybe? She has a foot injury or worse. Maybe? She has bad boots. Or not? And she’s w/d from worlds for reasons she doesn’t feel she needs to share. Etc. Again, I’m jealous that out of all the words that come out of camp Chen, you feel you know what’s the real answer.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I could do without the couch completely. It's totally fake - as in, skaters are not going to react in the way they would without cameras there - and there are probably many skaters who would sooner be with their coach or their friends while they wait for the results.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
They do that leaders thing in skiing. The runs are shorter than waiting for a program to end, judging, and replays, and it's probably harder to deal with your cell phone when it's outside in the snow. Or maybe the cameras don't catch them at it after someone from the outside hands them their phone.

skatingguy

decently
They do that leaders thing in skiing. The runs are shorter than waiting for a program to end, judging, and replays, and it's probably harder to deal with your cell phone when it's outside in the snow. Or maybe the cameras don't catch them at it after someone from the outside hands them their phone.
Plus their phones are probably still at the top of hill.

Marco

I think if they want to have the couch, maybe wait until the final group to do it. Have whoever is in top 3 at the end of 2nd to last group sit on the couch at the start of the final group and go from there. It’s kind of embarrassing to sit there knowing you skated first, scored a 98 in you long program, knowing you are going to have to walk away.

I thought they only used the couch for the final two flights?

lola10

Anyone awake?
The results for the US Ladies after the Short:

Bradie: 7th with 68,76 (TES: 37.53, PCS: 31.23)
Mirai: 9th with 65, 21 (TES:32.76, PCS: 32.45)
Mariah: 17th with 59,15 (TES: 28.61 PCS: 30.54)
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/SEG003.HTM

Bradie did very well, Mirai seemed cautious throughout the program but the performance overall was great, Mariah seemed really tense even before the start of her SP.

One thing that stands out for me looking at the score sheet is, that none of them gets particulalry high GOEs on even clean elements, something that they really need to work on. That in turn could positively effect the PCS.

Detailed Score Sheet:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wc2018/wc2018_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

Sylvia

TBD
Anyone awake?
Yes, just so you know - there's been lots of discussion in the 2018 Worlds Ladies SP play-by-play thread in the Kiss & Cry section.

A clean SP for Bradie at her first Worlds. :)

ETA: Mariah drew first to skate in the 2nd group of FS on Friday (#7 of 24); Bradie (#16) and Mirai (#17) will skate back-to-back in the 4th & 5th position of the penultimate group.

Last edited:

lola10

Yes, just so you know - there's been lots of discussion in the 2018 Worlds Ladies SP play-by-play thread in the Kiss & Cry section.

Yes, I know and saw it. It was meant as joke and I just wanted to post it for the sake of completeness.

Willin

@puglover This isn't an issue of tying PCS to TES. This is an issue of Mirai having very weak choreography, barely existent transitions, and extreme telegraphing before jumps. The transitions she does do (like the bauer before the 3Lo) aren't done up to what we know she can do. In her SP this season she doesn't arch her back as far as she can. Her facial expression and connection to the music is nonexistent until the jumps are done.
Look, I like Mirai, but I think her PCS were much better when she was younger. She still has skating skills but the rest is really lacking now. I don't know if I think it's a her problem or a Tom Z strategy problem.

@lola10 I'd say the US ladies GOE was fair. For instance, Mirai's 2A looked great, but it had exactly 0 transition into it - that lowers GOE - and I'm surprised it wasn't lower than she got. Her 3-3 was obviously UR'd (downgraded in the end). Her 3Lo actually got better GOE than many of the other ladies who did it. Mariah's jumps were messy. At other competitions their GOE is also judged fairly. If their GOE is bad it's because they made a mistake, and that's how it's always been with the US Ladies.

Sylvia

TBD
Quick Quotes as published on the ISU website for the Ladies SP:

Bradie:
The opening combo is the hardest part of the program so once that is done I can kind of let it all flow. Whenever I am on the ice I want to do my very best. After the Olympics I was really trying to recover from the event so there were no changes made to my program. I am very happy with how the program went. Coming into this competition and what has been my best season I just wanted to finish strong and I’m off to a good start with that. Having come from the Olympics I think that this is a much calmer atmosphere but it’s still so great. With my free skate I just want to go out there and have fun and put everything on the table.
Mirai:
I think the program went really great. I didn’t do the triple Axel so I could focus on the program and performing instead of the jumps. (On the possibility of doing it in the Free Skating) Maybe, who knows? The conditions here are so great. There a so many people and I love Italy. I have already been to the Duomo. To be here and to skate in Italy has been amazing. (On landing the triple Axel in PyeongChang) It’s at the very beginning of my program and so I wanted to celebrate but I didn’t have time to but at the end I think you could see that I was very happy.
Mariah:
I'm pretty disappointed with my skate. It wasn't the skate I wanted but I just take it as a learning experience and move on. I just held back on my combination and I've learned that it's better just to go for it than to hold back and pop it. (On being the alternate after Karen Chen withdrew) I found out I was coming just two days before I left so it was pretty unexpected to be here. But I've been training as though I was coming but I didn't know if I was preparing for Worlds or preparing for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information