U.S. Ladies [#21]: Wrapped Up with a Neat Little BOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
2018 U.S. Junior Ladies silver medalist Pooja Kalyan is listed in the Junior Ladies I event, January 29-30, at the 2018 Bavarian Open in Oberstdorf, Germany (though her name has not been added on USFS' International Assignments page). This would be her first junior international assignment (she competed in Adv. Novice at Golden Bear in Croatia and won the bronze medal in late October 2016).

Last edited:

Red Hot Chili Keegan

Banned Member
I just have to ask: Is @StasiyaGalustyanLove your husband? You sound like brain twins, i.e. a perfect match! :saint:

Yes! Of course he is my darling husband and you are so smart to figure it out, but he told me everyone here was so smart. And we are indeed a perfect match, I think we are kind of like Caroline Zhang and Grant Hochstein. He reminds me a lot of Grant and many other figure skaters.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Yes! Of course he is my darling husband and you are so smart to figure it out, but he told me everyone here was so smart. And we are indeed a perfect match, I think we are kind of like Caroline Zhang and Grant Hochstein. He reminds me a lot of Grant and many other figure skaters.

I have a feeling you two LOVE hashtags, so you definitely need something like #grantoline. How do you feel about #galusteegan? :p

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Wow! I didn't realize Bradie had a single mother. And a nurse who works two jobs at that! What an amazing family.
... and yet it did not prevent Bradie from acquiring the manners, conduct and posture of Princess Anne.... :nopryde: (or having to skin dead rabbits to make a fur coat to look like an ice princess, cough, Tonya, cough..)
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/85/0a/1c/...525bfa61cc5--princess-anne-queen-victoria.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/eWmY0yqBgmA/maxresdefault.jpg

all i have to say is this year the Top Three girls are so, so, so nice and pleasant, and most of all very accomplished in what counts, without extra fluffs, posturing and "false PR moves not related to actual skating". I wish they skate the lights out of their programmes... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBLFvsdWA8Q

Last edited:

cbd1235

In the last thread, comments were made to the tune of "Ashley has nobody but herself to blame," that she slacked off in some way, and made mention of her approach all 3 of her Olympic seasons.

If you followed AW's career, the fact that she was in form to essentially pull off [very close to] the tech base maximum for Ladies for 3 straight years shows there is NO way she was not working her butt off. In her physical peak, she lost 2 World medals because she couldn't get a SP 3-3 or LP 2A-3T. She spent years just trying to get the bare minimum to contend, switched 3-3's 3 times and switched flip technique 3 times. She was CAPABLE of hitting her Boston layout at Nationals, which included a 3-3 and a 3-1-3. URs were a problem for her since 2008 so the possibility of "<" does NOT = "slacking off." She worked damn hard to maintain that level of content, even if it failed her.

When LLL failed to deliver what she was after, I think she let her last 2 Olympic seasons play with her mind and said "I am going with my gut; ML it is" rather than work on a failed program until the last second a la R&J. Had ML been used 1 season or had she gotten a new SP, it could have worked out, but she had to know how stale the package had become and I think it was extremely risky and admirable of her to debut LLL for whatever it was and not let the R&J demons make her look back with regret.

When AW described the program she wanted for this season, I knew exactly what she meant. It had to be character-driven, showcase emotional low culminating in strength. BBC always referenced the Oscars during her best skates of ML, and that is what she has/had if not the intricate transitions. To convingly throw down your arms and let 'everything go' desperately moments before a 3-1-3 is AW personified. It was easily apparent that this LLL lacked the kind of up-down-up arc that she wanted to show total ownership of this year and that's a huge shame. She wasted last year's programs to not suffocate the audience with the same style, and this year was ultimately a bust. Ultimately, as I have stated elsewhere, she is/was a skater more impacted by her team than most. Had she had a Mills-like member of her current team, maybe they could have nailed down the perfect LPs for '17 and '18 at least.

Her SS/TR may not be in the top tier but she is nowhere near as bad as some say, and if anything, outside Boston, her IN/CH/PE were stingy at times. She WAS, overall, a top-tier PCS skater; just as she was, at her worst, a top 7 skater in the World for 6 Worlds running. Something tells me U.S. fans will miss having that reliable of a bet very soon.

Such a lovely lovely post. Thank you.

Sylvia

TBD
NBC Olympics streamed the Friday early morning practice in Korea (Thursday here) of the 3 U.S. ladies in the practice rink. Karen was the first to do a run through (partial, prob. needed to warm up more) - her jumps were 3Lz, 2Lo & 2A.

Mirai two-footed her 3A and landed 3F+3T & 3Lo in her SP run through. She had at least one decent 3A attempt in practice (that was shown), landing on one foot.

Bradie landed all of her jumps in her FS run through: 3Lz+3T, 2A, 3F / 2A+3T, 3Lz+2T+2Lo, 3Lo, 3S - solid!

All 3 were in the Team USA box for the Men/Pairs SP event (ETA a photo): https://www.instagram.com/p/Be9eltYlfXQ/?hl=en&taken-by=usfigureskating

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

NAOTMAA

whether Gracie decides to return to competitive skating or not in the end I have no doubt it will be greatly beneficial for her personal recovery. Plus it allows her to still be involved with skating without the crazy pressures!

It's a big plus for her and the students she gets to teach :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information