Movie Awards Season 2018-19 Road to Oscar

screech

You are spot on about the four acting awards, but I would have liked to see your prediction for supporting actress, even though Blunt could not be a part of it.
This one is a bit hard. Regina King *seems* to be the frontrunner, but she wasn't nominated for either of the two biggest predictors (SAG and BAFTA). I'm thinking it's between her and Rachel Weisz, with a slight edge to King, as Weisz and Emma Stone could split the vote for The Favourite.

In other Oscars stuff, anyone else think it's a bit odd that they didn't want to allow all the nominated songs to be performed, in order to keep the ceremony running on time, yet they invite Queen to perform? Unless the performance is like 1 minute (maybe 2) long to introduce Bohemian Rhapsody as the best picture nominee, I don't quite think that's fair.

VGThuy

In other Oscars stuff, anyone else think it's a bit odd that they didn't want to allow all the nominated songs to be performed, in order to keep the ceremony running on time, yet they invite Queen to perform? Unless the performance is like 1 minute (maybe 2) long to introduce Bohemian Rhapsody as the best picture nominee, I don't quite think that's fair.

Agreed.

skatfan

This one is a bit hard. Regina King *seems* to be the frontrunner, but she wasn't nominated for either of the two biggest predictors (SAG and BAFTA). I'm thinking it's between her and Rachel Weisz, with a slight edge to King, as Weisz and Emma Stone could split the vote for The Favourite.

My sense is that the Oscars production team has been making things up as they go along. Apparently things fell apart to have Queen perform a few weeks ago, but I’m guessing the win at Golden Globes changed the interest. Now at least they’ll get folks to tune in at the beginning of the show, whether they can keep people watching is another thing.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

They should have allowed all the nominated songs to be performed. If they want to make the show shorter, they can skip their silly jokes and just get down to the business of announcing the nominees and winners. Also winners need to stick with the time they are given.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
My sense is that the Oscars production team has been making things up as they go along. Apparently things fell apart to have Queen perform a few weeks ago, but I’m guessing the win at Golden Globes changed the interest. Now at least they’ll get folks to tune in at the beginning of the show, whether they can keep people watching is another thing.

Brian posted that the rumour they had refused to perform was false. He never explicitly ruled out performing at the time, or even confirmed that an offer was made, just said they hadn't refused. So I'm guessing this was on the cards for a while, just certain people needed to talk to other certain people.

screech

They should have allowed all the nominated songs to be performed. If they want to make the show shorter, they can skip their silly jokes and just get down to the business of announcing the nominees and winners. Also winners need to stick with the time they are given.
With no host, I think there's a bit of a better chance of staying more on time-ish, since (in theory) there won't be a 10 minute long opening monologue.

They changed their minds after a lot of backlash, and now all nominated songs are being performed (though I've read that they only get 90 seconds each... not sure if this is confirmed). It'll be interesting to see the Mary Poppins song, since Emily Blunt didn't want to perform, they've gotten Bette Midler instead. I just don't want them to do like they did a few years ago when Justin Timberlake opened the show with his nominated song, and basically turned it into a JT concert, but all the other nominated songs performed much later, and seemed very rushed. I could see them doing that for Gaga's song.

What gets me about people running over is that if it's a 'big name' they let it happen, allowing 2-3 minutes, but if it's a 'nobody' or one of the categories 'nobody cares about' they cut off the microphones after the 45 seconds. Be consistent!!! That 'nobody' is somebody to some people, and may inspire others in the field. I just hope nobody uses their time to propose, like at the Emmys.

Regarding Queen, if not to introduce BR for best picture, IMO it'd make most sense for them to close out the show singing "We Are the Champions".

misskarne

Regarding Queen, if not to introduce BR for best picture, IMO it'd make most sense for them to close out the show singing "We Are the Champions".

I can only imagine the criticism if they did this but BR didn't win anything.

I actually think they could open the show with hologram Freddie doing an ay-oh round and then We Will Rock You. They could do the fast version and give all the dull Academy snobs heart attacks :lol:

Whatever happens, it'll certainly be one of the songs featured in the movie, which is a slight shame as I would 100% be on board with them appearing on stage and declaring "I Want It All"!!

Parsley Sage

I always found the nomination/voting process neat (and well-explained in the post from @VIETgirlTerifa)

I have a relative who is a voting member of the Academy. He is an animator. He's never been to the actual ceremony, but he gets to vote, go to Academy events, and also has actually animated for the broadcast (one year they showed 'reaction shots' from all the animated films. He animated his film's 'reaction shot')
When it comes to nominee selection, he gets to vote for the animated films that end up being nominated for Animated Film. He doesn't get to contribute to the nominee selections for any other categories.
Once the nominations are announced, he then gets to vote for a winner in every single category, from writing, to sound editing, to director, and everything in between.

He and his wife look forward to getting, and watching, all of the screeners each year. Some years they even tell me who he voted for, and occasionally provide 'insider gossip' (I've previously mentioned on this board how he told me that voters were told 'wouldn't be nice if Heath Ledger won?' the year he was nominated, and won, for Dark Knight. They didn't tell me who, but they did say he went 'against' Academy preferences and didn't vote for Heath.)

Does he not vote on the nominees for best picture as well?

With no host, I think there's a bit of a better chance of staying more on time-ish, since (in theory) there won't be a 10 minute long opening monologue.

They changed their minds after a lot of backlash, and now all nominated songs are being performed (though I've read that they only get 90 seconds each... not sure if this is confirmed). It'll be interesting to see the Mary Poppins song, since Emily Blunt didn't want to perform, they've gotten Bette Midler instead. I just don't want them to do like they did a few years ago when Justin Timberlake opened the show with his nominated song, and basically turned it into a JT concert, but all the other nominated songs performed much later, and seemed very rushed. I could see them doing that for Gaga's song.

What gets me about people running over is that if it's a 'big name' they let it happen, allowing 2-3 minutes, but if it's a 'nobody' or one of the categories 'nobody cares about' they cut off the microphones after the 45 seconds. Be consistent!!! That 'nobody' is somebody to some people, and may inspire others in the field. I just hope nobody uses their time to propose, like at the Emmys.

The guy who proposed at the Emmy's is one of the Oscar Producers.

Queen (with Adam Lambert) are opening the show.

There are 11 "Unique Talents" presenting the nominees for best picture. I'm guessing Dana Carvey and Mike Myers are introducing Bohemian Rhapsody.

https://www.oscars.org/news/oscars-round-4-eleven-unique-talents-introduce-best-pictures

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just got back from watching 'Never look away'. Oscar nominated foreign language film (Germany). It was very good but very long (3 hours). There was light applause from the audience at the end. The ending was powerful.

Some horrible things were done by the Nazis in addition to the Holocaust during WWII. The movie starts in 1937 and covers many decades. The Nazis/SS rounded up all the mentally and physically sick people and sterilized them, against their wishes, so as to prserve only the 'good' genes. Then they terminated them, Holocaust style. May be Ballettmaus can shed light on this?

The main story is of an artist from childhood to age 30. Excellent acting, but toward the end it got boring because it was so long. Still worth seeing.

Now I have seen all the Oscar nominated foreign language films.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just got back from seeing the Oscar nominated short documentaries. I was disappointed in most of them except 'End game' - the one about the Zen Hospice center, which was very touching. It was also an eye opener (being in good health in the present is no guarantee of good health in the future, and death is inevitable, so how to approach it?)

'Blacksheep' was boring and 'Period. End of sentence' was almost disgusting. A night at the stadium was mercifully short, after watching the first two very long 'short' documentaries. I fell asleep in 'Lifeboat' but I suspect it was good, based on the part I did see. I may rent a dvd sonetime to see only that.

If I had to pick a winner, 'End game' would be my choice. If Lifeboat wins, I picked the wrong time to fall asleep.

Now I have seen all the Oscar nominated films, except three of the documentary feature because they never came to the theatres here. I did see RBG and Free Solo. I hope RBG wins.

I had never watched the 'short' categories in the past, so that portion of the Oscars used to be uninteresting to me. Not this year!

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
@Vash01, I don't know if you have Hulu, but Minding the Gap is available there.

I don’t have it I will look into getting it. Thx.

ETA- Just checked the Hulu site. For me $39.99 per month is beyond my budget. They do offer 7 days free. I could use that to watch Mind the gap, then discontinue, I guess.

Last edited:

VGThuy

The Independent Spirit Awards just concluded. It was very nice to see an award show that did not mimic or have much overlap with the other televised awards. A whole different group of films were recognized with nominations and awards, and it's pretty refreshing. Here are the winners"

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/2019-spirit-awards-winners-complete-list-1203147196/

Best Feature
EIGHTH GRADE
FIRST REFORMED
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK (WINNER)
LEAVE NO TRACE
YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE

Best Director
Debra Granik, LEAVE NO TRACE
Barry Jenkins, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK (WINNER)
Tamara Jenkins, PRIVATE LIFE
Lynne Ramsay, YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE
Paul Schrader, FIRST REFORMED

Best First Feature
HEREDITARY
SORRY TO BOTHER YOU (WINNER)
THE TALE
WE THE ANIMALS
WILDLIFE

Best Male Lead
John Cho, SEARCHING
Daveed Diggs, BLINDSPOTTING
Ethan Hawke, FIRST REFORMED (WINNER)
Christian Malheiros, SÓCRATES
Joaquin Phoenix, YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE

Best Female Lead
Glenn Close, THE WIFE (WINNER)
Toni Collette, HEREDITARY
Elsie Fisher, EIGHTH GRADE
Regina Hall, SUPPORT THE GIRLS
Helena Howard, MADELINE’S MADELINE
Carey Mulligan, WILDLIFE

Best Supporting Female Actor
Kayli Carter, PRIVATE LIFE
Tyne Daly, A BREAD FACTORY
Regina King, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK (WINNER)
Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie, LEAVE NO TRACE
J. Smith-Cameron, NANCY

Best Supporting Male Actor
Raúl Castillo, WE THE ANIMALS
Adam Driver, BLACKKKLANSMAN
Richard E. Grant, CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? (WINNER)
Josh Hamilton, EIGHTH GRADE
John David Washington, MONSTERS AND MEN

Best Cinematography
Ashley Connor, MADELINE’S MADELINE
Diego Garcia, WILDLIFE
Benjamin Loeb, MANDY
Sayombhu Mukdeeprom, SUSPIRIA (WINNER)
Zak Mulligan, WE THE ANIMALS

Best Screenplay
(Writer/Story By)
Rebecca Lenkiewicz & Wash Westmoreland, COLETTE
Nicole Holofcener & Jeff Whitty, CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? (WINNER)
Tamara Jenkins, PRIVATE LIFE
Boots Riley, SORRY TO BOTHER YOU
Paul Schrader FIRST REFORMED

Best First Screenplay
Bo Burnham, EIGHTH GRADE (WINNER)
Christina Choe, NANCY
Cory Finley, THOROUGHBREDS
Jennifer Fox, THE TALE
Quinn Shephard (Writer/Story By) and Laurie Shephard (Story By), BLAME

Best Editing
Joe Bini, YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE (WINNER)
Keiko Deguchi, Brian A. Kates & Jeremiah Zagar, WE THE ANIMALS
Luke Dunkley, Nick Fenton, Chris Gill & Julian Hart, AMERICAN ANIMALS
Anne Fabini, Alex Hall and Gary Levy, THE TALE
Nick Houy, MID90S

Best Documentary
HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING
MINDING THE GAP
OF FATHERS AND SONS
ON HER SHOULDERS
SHIRKERS
WON’T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR? (WINNER)

Best International Film
BURNING (South Korea)
THE FAVOURITE (United Kingdom)
HAPPY AS LAZZARO (Italy)
ROMA (Mexico) (WINNER)
SHOPLIFTERS (Japan)

The Truer Than Fiction Award
Alexandria Bombach, ON HER SHOULDERS
Bing Liu, MINDING THE GAP
RaMell Ross, HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING

Producers Award
Jonathan Duffy and Kelly Williams
Gabrielle Nadig
Shrihari Sathe (WINNER)

The Someone to Watch Award
Alex Moratto, SÓCRATES (WINNER)

Ioana Uricaru, LEMONADE
Jeremiah Zagar, WE THE ANIMALS

The Bonnie Award
Debra Granik (WINNER)

Tamara Jenkins
Karyn Kusama

Robert Altman Award
SUSPIRIA
Director: Luca Guadagnino
Casting Directors: Avy Kaufman, Stella Savino
Ensemble Cast: Malgosia Bela, Ingrid Caven, Lutz Ebersdorf, Elena Fokina, Mia Goth, Jessica Harper, Dakota Johnson, Gala Moody, Chloë Grace Moretz, Renée Soutendijk, Tilda Swinton, Sylvie Testud, Angela Winkler

Michael Keaton presented Best Film and he made a pretty funny joke about Rami Malek's teeth not getting enough awards recognition.

VGThuy

Surprised not to see Melissa McCarthy nominated for Can you....

Her lack of nomination at both the Gothams and Spirit Awards is sort of hard to explain other than the nominators liking her movie a lot and even her co-star, but finding 4-5 other women who they felt gave stronger performances. I am glad that they nominated Helena Howard.

VGThuy

It was semi-entertaining award show with lots of jibes from Aubrey Plaza.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/a...e-oscars-netflix-bryan-singer-1202046304/amp/

Some of my fave lines:

“Welcome to the Spirit Awards, where we celebrate the movies that are too important to see."

“I do love movies. I truly believe that people should see them how they are meant to be seen. In the theaters!” Plaza said as the audience cheered. “And I know, I know, if the movie you poured your soul into is on Netflix it will be seen by millions of people as they scroll past it finding the the show about folding socks into squares. ‘Tidying up’ or ‘Roma’? Either way you’re going to watch a show about people cleaning up shit so who cares.”

John Waters had a great zinger calling out people trying to distance Bohemian Rhapsody from Bryan Singer, “It’s television, Aubrey. Like ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ it doesn’t really have a director. It directs itself.”

Jay42

Between the click of the light
It was semi-entertaining award show with lots of jibes from Aubrey Plaza.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/a...e-oscars-netflix-bryan-singer-1202046304/amp/

Some of my fave lines:

“Welcome to the Spirit Awards, where we celebrate the movies that are too important to see."

“I do love movies. I truly believe that people should see them how they are meant to be seen. In the theaters!” Plaza said as the audience cheered. “And I know, I know, if the movie you poured your soul into is on Netflix it will be seen by millions of people as they scroll past it finding the the show about folding socks into squares. ‘Tidying up’ or ‘Roma’? Either way you’re going to watch a show about people cleaning up shit so who cares.”

John Waters had a great zinger calling out people trying to distance Bohemian Rhapsody from Bryan Singer, “It’s television, Aubrey. Like ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ it doesn’t really have a director. It directs itself.”
I love Aubrey Plaza, I hope clips of her hosting show up online.

aftershocks

Banned Member
In anticipation of the Oscars tomorrow night, this Actors Roundtable is such a great conversation between Timothee Chalamet, Chadwick Boseman, Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali, Richard E. Grant, Hugh Jackman, and moderator Stephen Galloway of the Hollywood Reporter. This is A+, insightful about the intricacies and complexities of acting, and thoroughly entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkag-jVdt8

This is good too: female actors THR Roundtable with Glenn Close, Regina King, Lady Gaga, Rachel Weisz, and Nicole Kidman -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibdhO-h0xP4

THR directors Roundtable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy-RE76XDgM

THR producers Roundtable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBck8gMg4_s

THR writers Roundtable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbPxMsOKQ5o

THR songwriters Roundtable (2019): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyhJQSifHR8

This is from two years ago, a songwriters THR Roundtable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXfbTkBpWRQ

ETA:
This actors Roundtable from 2016 is with Rami Malek, Cuba Gooding Jr., Forest Whitaker, Bobby Canavale, Wagner Moura of Narcos, and Paul Giamatti. Interestingly, the moderator, Lacey Rose, indicates late in this session that she used to be a competitive figure skater when she was younger. Does anyone remember her? They all seemed to be having fun and making a lot of jokes mixed with more serious responses. Cuba Gooding Jr is usually the instigator. :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQqoR5CZutY It's very insightful yet chilling when Moura explains, "Our bodies don't understand that we are acting..." So embodying different emotions and mindsets can be jarring and difficult to completely shed and regain personal equilibrium.

More from Wagner Moura on the real-life character he played in Narcos: drug dealer Pablo Escobar. Moura is Brazilian, and he had to learn Spanish before taking on the role: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it5FFr9EscE

Last edited:

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Not helpful as I don’t really keep up with movies. But can I just say that I want Glenn Close to win the Oscar as everytime I see Olivia Coleman’s face I want to punch her in it.

misskarne

I'd really love to see Rami Malek win. He was so enthralling. (I'd also like to add at this point that I feel Bohemian Rhapsody has been thoroughly stiffed of the Ensemble Cast award at the awards that have them.)

But really, the one award BoRhap needs to win is Sound Mixing. It was stunning.

VGThuy

Not helpful as I don’t really keep up with movies. But can I just say that I want Glenn Close to win the Oscar as everytime I see Olivia Coleman’s face I want to punch her in it.

OMG! :lol:

I was lead to believe Colman was as a British treasure.

I'd really love to see Rami Malek win. He was so enthralling. (I'd also like to add at this point that I feel Bohemian Rhapsody has been thoroughly stiffed of the Ensemble Cast award at the awards that have them.)

But really, the one award BoRhap needs to win is Sound Mixing. It was stunning.

Malek is by far the overwhelming favorite to win Best Actor, so I think you'll get your wish there. I do wonder how the race would have shaped up if Ethan Hawke who swept all the major critics awards was actually nominated for some of the big televised awards. His snubs were a strange occurrence. I think it may win the Sound awards too because it seems musicals (or music-related films) have an advantage there.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Glad to see "Sorry to bother you" win an Independent spirit award; that movie was so uniquely strange! ;)

VGThuy

Am hoping for a Roma win because I can’t seem to find anyone who actually liked it. :EVILLE:

Haven’t seen it yet either even though I have Netflix. :shuffle:

I liked it a lot. My issues with it are regarding Cuaron’s treatment of the main character and his limited point of view being a privileged white man preventing him from truly encompassing the perspective of an indigenous woman working as a domestic worker who doesn’t have equal footing in the household. To him it seems life was mostly wonderful with the family with some tragedy outside of the family’s treatment of her or what Mexico was doing to indigenous communities nation wide. I also agree with Vash01 that some shots were indulgent. What I disagreed with some here was that there was no value to it because out of the Best Pic nominees I think it the most really tried to be something grand while being true. I think The Favourite and Blackkklansman were similar. Some say Roma was too boring but I think some other Best Pic nominees were way more boring and I came away thinking “who cares?” Or why does their story really matter if they’re going to tell it in such a sanitized/boring and formulaic way?

I do think out of all the BP nominees, only Roma will be remembered and talked about decades later except for Blackkklansman because of its subject matter still being true today and understanding American race relations as POC see it. Maybe Black Panther because super hero movie franchises have fans but more to do with the action/nerdy stuff than the film’s qualities. The other films seem like just products of its year.

clairecloutier

‘Beale street ...’ is on my most hated movies this year.

Please explain?? I'm honestly curious .... :rofl:

Am hoping for a Roma win because I can’t seem to find anyone who actually liked it. :EVILLE:

I liked it, a lot. :p

I liked it a lot. My issues with it are regarding Cuaron’s treatment of the main character and his limited point of view being a privileged white man preventing him from truly encompassing the perspective of an indigenous woman working as a domestic worker who doesn’t have equal footing in the household. To him it seems life was mostly wonderful with the family with some tragedy outside of the family’s treatment of her ....

I felt like the whole point of the movie was that we, as outside viewers, fill in with our own perceptions, worldview, etc., the limitations of his child's view of her. We observe how he and the family see her, but we also see her in a different way, because we're not him. Anyhow that was my impression of it.

ETA-- Also, I felt a little sense that the movie was saying she was unknowable in a way. We can know certain things about her, but we can never completely understand her, or understand anyone really. Life goes on, despite the never understanding.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Please explain?? I'm honestly curious .... :rofl:

I liked it, a lot. :p

I hated ‘ If Beale street...’ because .....

1. Horrible screenplay where some scenes go on and on and on (however, the scene where the guy’s parents visit the pregnant 19 year old’s home was well done)

2. The flashbacks were not interwoven well.

3. The ending was meh.

4. The whole movie was annoying because it was a good story, but the director, editor, and screenplay writer ruined it.

ETA-

There is a chance that the overhyping of Roma made it less likable to me. However, even without the overhyping I wouldn’t have picked it as a top five movie of the year.

I have been hearing about it since last November when the Scottsdale international film festival opened with Roma as their ‘opening masterpiece’, sort of, where you had to pay $25 to see it. I saw it later for $3.50 in a theater. That was just my good luck. I saw Shoplifters and another movie (not nominated) at that time and liked both, particularly Shoplifters more than Roma, which I saw a couple months later.

Sadly the four other nominated films are not getting the attention they deserve. I didn’t hate Roma as a movie but I didn’t love it either. I could not ignore its flaws and there were many. I am resigned to seeing it win both the best foreign langauge and Best Picture Oscars tonight. So I will focus more on the other awards that I find interesting.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Here's an interesting article about the woman from Period. End of Sentence. Considering girls have died as a result of being "period shamed" and segregated from their families during their periods it's easy to see why any success for this documentary is a good thing for women in rural regions of India.

I have not read this article but in very old days it was common in India to segregate women who were having a period. Nobody died as a result of segregation. I think similar things were done in some other cultures too, like not going to church, though my sample size is very small in those cases.

The unhealthy things shown in that documentary were did happen (since they showed interviews of locals that said so) and quite possibly caused serious health problems. This does not mean that the whole country is like that, and the viewers need to differentiate between the small rural areas addressed in this documentary and the rest of the country. I have to point this out because there is a tendency to overgeneralize when it comes to developing countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information