Downton Abbey Season 6 - PBS broadcast

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
@Tinami Amori So the dog killers in your news links were tried and found guilty, went to prison. You are making my case for me.

If you are trying to argue that Russia has a better animal rights record, you should know better.

Tinami Amori

Nice try....
a) issue about "Old Country", "Russia" and animal rights is your own invention or intentional diversion.
b) the fact that dog killers where tried and found guilty does not mean there is no practice of "dog killing" in England, as you stated. It proves the opposite - it happens in England, but punishable by law.

IceAlisa

Nice try....
a) issue about "Old Country", "Russia" and animal rights is your own invention or intentional diversion.
I don't want to create THAT much of a thread drift, but if you are interested, I can send you links via PM. But you do know everything yourself, I am surprised you are denying it.

b) the fact that dog killers where tried and found guilty does not mean there is no practice of "dog killing" in England, as you stated. It proves the opposite - it happens in England, but punishable by law.
I didn't say there is none but it's not common. That's only two incidents and the fact they were convicted demonstrates that society frowns on this as opposed to not giving a flying flutz.

Tinami Amori

I don't want to create THAT much of a thread drift, but if you are interested, I can send you links via PM. But you do know everything yourself, I am surprised you are denying it.

I didn't say there is none but it's not common. That's only two incidents and the fact they were convicted demonstrates that society frowns on this as opposed to not giving a flying flutz.

What the heck are you drinking, to come up with your comments, in response to my post which basically said "I am glad the script writers did not include a dog in the script, because I would be worried that something happens to the dog, given they (the script-writers) already included a dog-napping incident and all these "blackmail incidents" that are taking place"?

Where did you see "Russia", "Old Country", "England's practices of dog-poisoning"? ..... in the state of mind you are obviously in, why not accuse me of knocking down British screen-play writers, because you assume that as a russian i only respect Chekhov.... :D

If you're quietly boiling about my comments on Ashley in GSD, go there and huff and puff.... :D

IceAlisa

I responded to this because poisoning your neighbor's dog isn't a common practice in England. It is the kind of mentality that makes it much more likely to occur in Russia and to hurt the owner, not the dog. I think you are incorrectly applying that mentality to England. That was my point. I wouldn't worry about the Earl's dog being poisoned just because Barrow hid Isis in a shed for a few hours.
I didn't see your comments about Ashley but will certainly look now. :lol:

ETA: I can't find your Ashley comments and NOW I am quietly boiling. :D PM the link please.

Last edited:

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
I can't help but think that they wrap up the Bates' prison story line just to hatch another tragedy for them, like Anna getting Ovarian cancer or doing something drastic to get impregnated. :(

my first thought was edith will give them a baby then snatch it back

but they wont do that again

IceAlisa

There are only 9 episodes, the 9th being the Christmas special.

Tinami Amori

Russian studio which is doing the dubbing for Russian TV broke it up into 10 segments. I'll check the 10th segment later.
But the "organic ones" are only 9.

Lorac

Russian studio which is doing the dubbing for Russian TV broke it up into 10 segments. I'll check the 10th segment later.
But the "organic ones" are only 9.

The segment you list as episode 9 is definitely the Christmas special and if what you post is advert free then it is the whole episode - I only watched the first 5 minutes to confirm having already seen it here in the UK. Not sure why you posted them here though as this is (suppose to be ) a spoiler free thread.

Anyway it is interesting to read people's speculation as to what is to happen having seen the series. Similar theories as on a thread I belonged to as we watched the series here in the UK. That was part of the fun of watching for me ☺.

IceAlisa

Yes, I can confirm that episode 9 Tinami had linked is the Christmas special in its entirety, aka the last episode. Perhaps there are extras, which would be interesting to watch.

Are people inclined to binge watch or will you stay with the PBS broadcasts?

Japanfan

Are people inclined to binge watch or will you stay with the PBS broadcasts?

I prefer binge watching whenever possible, and it is possible with Downton because we have them filed. But there are no captions, so I watch the regular broadcast a second time (or third :slinkaway).

But either way, I prefer to be able to skip the commercials. I got through about six hours of The Walking Dead New Years marathon as it aired and it was torture due to the commercials.

Finnice

We had the last episode on Tuesday. No spoilers, but I just want to watch the whole series now and follow the different storylines again.
You, who still have episodes to see, enjoy!:cheer2::glamor:

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I'll stick with the PBS broadcast. There're no commercials, and it will give me something to look forward to on Sunday nights. I was texting with my sister as we watched 'together'- she in Chicago, me in New York. :)
I'm sticking with the PBS broadcast as well -- as that's my only option for now. I also used to watch TV programs with my sister who lives 500 miles away -- we sometimes had marathon late night phone calls while viewing something together.

IceAlisa

You have to put into context...1925
I know. I read books that have fox hunts dated much earlier than this but it still makes me :angryfire
"The English country gentleman galloping after a fox -- the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable." Oscar Wilde

They didn't even use the fur.

Japanfan

Poor psycho Mrs. Drewe!

That story line is really getting on my nerves. And I hate the presentation of the broody woman who is out of her mind. It's a traditional and negative stereotype. Mostly I've thought the show's portrayal of women was positive though period-specific, and a lot of the female characters are strong. But weepy broody Mrs. Drew is the exception. She's an adult, and she can get over it already.

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
i feel so sorry for mrs drew. pointy faced edith should have left that kid in switzerland.

jadingirl

I'm trying to remember (guess I should have rewatched Season 5) Mrs Drewe doesn't know Marigold is Edith's daughter but her husband does?

I'm wondering if someone is going to suggest a tenant swap with the new neighbours - The Drewes for Daisy's father-in-law - that way everyone would still be happy.

Good for Mrs Hughes standing up for what kind of wedding day she wants. THough since she is Mrs. Hughes wouldn't she have been married once before?

cygnus

Good for Mrs Hughes standing up for what kind of wedding day she wants. Though since she is Mrs. Hughes wouldn't she have been married once before?

No. The title of "Mrs." in this case is an honorific for the housekeeper of a big house. Likewise "Mrs Patmore", although I don't think she has been married either.

Cycliste

Mrs Drewe does know Marigold is Edith's daughter. Edith showed her the birth certificate when she took her from the farm; Mrs Drewe tore it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information