Grand Prix 2023-24 Season Potential Assignments

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidelineSkater

Well, that's presuming that ReedAmbru don't wind-up being seeded themselves, which I'm on the fence about the likelihood of happening.
I was referring the two teams as part of the 7-10 seeding group. I think you are saying R/A might bump to top 6 if one or more teams don’t compete on the GP.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I was referring the two teams as part of the 7-10 seeding group. I think you are saying R/A might bump to top 6 if one or more teams don’t compete on the GP.
Yes - the GP doc calls teams 1-6 "seeded" and teams 7-10 "invited", so I was saying that R/A might move into the top 6 if either GilPoir or ChoBat skip the GP this season.

Dobre

Reed & Ambrulevicius had trouble with their U.S. VISA last year, didn't they? Though hopefully that's been resolved.

ETA: I penciled in Taschlerova & Taschler in there just because they would be a different team & they did train here for a year so why not? Wishful thinking probably. Reed & Ambrulevicius would be closer to home & didn't get to use that berth last year. (It seems more likely we'd have R&A than Demougeout & Le Mercier, Harris & Chan, and Lauriault & Le Gac all again).

Last edited:

Karen-W

Okay, so... Rather than giving my dance GP predictions (which I'm torn on, really), I'm going to lead with my men's prediction list!

Skate AmericaSkate CanadaGrand Prix de FranceCup of ChinaGrand Prix EspooNHK Trophy
GogolevChiuAymozLitvintsevChiuLitvintsev
LevandiGogolevEconomidesSadovskyVasiljevsOrzel
FrangipaniOrzelSiao Him FaJinSuntsevM Selevko
RizzoJinEgadzeCHN TBDSiao Him FaAymoz
MiuraKagiyamaFrangipaniMemolaMemolaEgadze
TomonoSatoGrasslTomonoKataiseRizzo
TsuboiYamamotoGorodnitskyYamamotoMiyakeKagiyama
ShaidorovJ ChaMiuraYoshiokaSatoUno
S LeeGrasslShimadaShaidorovNordebackJPN TBD
MalininBritschgiUnoJ ChaBritschgiS Lee
TorgashevKapeikisVasiljevsMaMalininMa
USA TBDPulkinenNaumovTorgashevNaumovPulkinen

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Okay, so... Rather than giving my dance GP predictions (which I'm torn on, really), I'm going to lead with my men's prediction list!

Skate AmericaSkate CanadaGrand Prix de FranceCup of ChinaGrand Prix EspooNHK Trophy
If this skam lineup is even remotely close I'd be truly living my best life

Karen-W

Next for me tonight is my Women's GP prediction list - part of why I'm sharing the singles disciplines first is because I think we have the most clarity on who is staying in, who is retiring and who is skipping the GP. I fully expect we're going to hear of at least 1 pairs team (KniFraz) and 1 dance team (GilPoir) skipping the GP.

HendrickxPinzarroneHendrickxAnPinzarroneSchizas
AnRuiterMeiteCHN TBDCederGubanova
PetrokinaSchizasSchildPetrokinaJyrkinenSchott
ChibaCAN TBDSernaGutmannFIN TBDGutmann
KihiraGubanovaSchottKawabeHiguchiChiba
SumiyoshiKawabeHiguchiMiharaSumiyoshiSakamoto
WiSakamotoMiharaYoshidaWatanabeJPN TBD
KurakovaWatanabeYoshidaH LeeY KimC Kim
RepondC KimRepondYouH LeeWi
AndrewsY KimAndrewsGlennKurakovaYou
LevitoThorngrenShinShinLevitoGlenn
USA TBDZieglerTennellThorngrenZieglerTennell

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I want Ziegler and a Korean lady in France so hope you’re wrong there. France is terrific for me in terms of men and dance homies; women not so much.

Evgeniafan

I can't emotionally handle Aymoz and Vasiljevs being at the same competition.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Next for me tonight is my Women's GP prediction list - part of why I'm sharing the singles disciplines first is because I think we have the most clarity on who is staying in, who is retiring and who is skipping the GP. I fully expect we're going to hear of at least 1 pairs team (KniFraz) and 1 dance team (GilPoir) skipping the GP.

HendrickxPinzarroneHendrickxAnPinzarroneSchizas
AnRuiterMeiteCHN TBDCederGubanova
PetrokinaSchizasSchildPetrokinaJyrkinenSchott
ChibaCAN TBDSernaGutmannFIN TBDGutmann
KihiraGubanovaSchottKawabeHiguchiChiba
SumiyoshiKawabeHiguchiMiharaSumiyoshiSakamoto
WiSakamotoMiharaYoshidaWatanabeJPN TBD
KurakovaWatanabeYoshidaH LeeY KimC Kim
RepondC KimRepondYouH LeeWi
AndrewsY KimAndrewsGlennKurakovaYou
LevitoThorngrenShinShinLevitoGlenn
USA TBDZieglerTennellThorngrenZieglerTennell
Had to laugh at myself…when I forgot about the country of Petrokina (Est) and assumed Petrosian (R). I wondered what crazy news I had missed!
Good predictions, Karen.

SidelineSkater

Ok. Here's my fake lineup for the Men. I should point out it's not my fantasy/hopeful lineups, just the random-ish roster filling. It was tricky assigning the Japanese men, with 3 slots per GP. Again, I used the 'travel/training' logic for some of the GP's, but not all. As the 4-6 seed, I put Amoyz in SA, because he trains here and usually is slow to start. I put Cha in Canada (training) and in Finland over China (travel), because he will request/pick after Uno and before Ilia.

Skate AmericaSkate CanadaGP FranceGP ChinaGP FinlandNHK Trophy
MalininChaUnoMalininChaUno
AmoyzTomonoAmoyzBritschgiTomonoBritschgi
ShaidorovRizzoFaGrasslLitvintsevVasiljevs
VasiljevsGrasslLitvintsevShairdorovRizzoFa
YamamotoPulkinenSatoMiuraEgadzeLee
LeeSatoEgadzeYamamotaMiuraPulkinen
MemolaKagiyamaSelevkoMaLevandiKagiyama
ShimadaFrangipaniYoshiokaKataiseNordebackSadovsky
TsuboiJinRossiNaumovMiyakeKapeikis
GorodnitskyOrzelYampolskyJinFrangipaniMemola
TorgashevGogolevNordebeckChenShmuratkoSelevko
TBDChiuEconomidesTBDSuntsevTBD

SidelineSkater

Next up - it's ladies night! Sakamoto seems to get the SA assignment a lot recently - at least 19, 21, 22. Will she be back? I'm putting her in again, although Levito would have an easier time with Lee/Hendrickx. Once again, the Japanese full slate of 18 slots is tough to juggle everyone in - I went ahead and filled in the NHK TBD's just for fun.

SakamotoLeeHendrickxLeeHendrickxSakamoto
LevitoMiharaC KimLevitoMiharaC Kim
SchottRepondPetrokinaWatanabePinzarroneGlenn
PinzarroneGlennWatanabePetrokinaSchottRepond
HighuchiThorngrenChibaKawabeGubanovaSchizas
Y KimKawabeYouY KimThorngrenShin
GutmannGubanovaGutmanShinChibaYou
KurakovaJoosTennellYoshidaKihiraKurakova
SumiyoshiKihiraSumiyoshiAndrewsTennellWi
WiSchizasSchildJiJyrkinenZiegler
AndrewsRuiterSernaAnCederYoshida
ZieglerTBDMeiteTBDTBDMatsuike

SidelineSkater

Pairs - my brain is tired from doing these - so I likely skipped over someone. Not sure if the new Fin team will get the minimums, but I can see them holding at least one host spot just in case. Also, I don't know where Metelkina/Beruvala and Hase/Volodin fit in. I think they get one spot due returning split couples/comeback skater rules...but I dunno?

Stellato-Dudek/DeschampsMiura/KiharaConti/MaciiStellato-Dudek/DeschampsConti/MaciiMiura/Kihara
Chan/HowePereira/MichaudPavlova/SviatchenkoPavlova/SviatchenkoPereira/MichaudChan/Howe
Kam/O'SheaGolubeva/Giotopoulos MooreHocke/KunkelKam/O'SheaMcIntosh/MimarHocke/Kunkel
Osipova/EpsteinGhilardi/AmbrosiniMcIntosh/MimarDanilova/TsibaGolubeva/Giotopoulos MooreGhilardi/Ambrosini
Caldara/MaglioPlaza/FernandezKovalev/KovalevValesi/PiazzaLaurin/EthierRoscher/Schuster
Beccari/GuariseKovalev/KovalevRoscher/SchusterPlazas/FernandezOsipova/EpsteinCaldara/Maglio
Hase/VolodinPanetta/ThrasherVouillamoz/GinauxZhang/YangMetelkina/BervualaDanilova/Tsiba
TBDLaurin/EthierPiegad/StreaklinPeng/WangTBD - Vaananen/ClericiSmirnova/Siianytsia

Karen-W

@SidelineSkater - Hase/Volodin and Metelkina/Berulava should qualify for at least 1 GP assignment. Vaananen/Clerici (and any other hosts teams) don't need to have the total score min to be assigned, so I expect they will get a spot. Less likely to be assigned are Alteryd/Virtanen - her last competition for Canada was Warsaw Cup 2022, and I can't really see the Finnish fed letting them make their competitive debut at GP Espoo.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Wait - Isn’t Starr Andrews currently undergoing treatment for heart-related illness (tachycardia)? I love her a lot but am wondering why folks are predicting her for 2023 Skate America, other than, in the past, she has been slotted into SkAm whenever possible. She’s still “visiting other treatment plans,” as per her Instagram (click on photo of her in the hospital bed):

SidelineSkater

Wait - Isn’t Starr Andrews currently undergoing treatment for heart-related illness (tachycardia)? I love her a lot but am wondering why folks are predicting her for 2023 Skate America, other than, in the past, she has been slotted into SkAm whenever possible. She’s still “visiting other treatment plans,” as per her Instagram (click on photo of her in the hospital bed):

Perhaps because they are merely predictions and skaters can always withdraw - better to have the assignments given and W/D than not have any and need them.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Well, my rationale is that the USFS loves her and would want to feature her at SkAm, and none of us really know what the medical prognosis or other treatment options are.

Karen-W

Okay, here are my pairs predictions - Seems fairly obvious that Knierim/Frazier will not be doing the GP this season.

Golubeva/Giotopoulos MooreLaurin/EthierMcIntosh/MimarStellato-Dudek/DeschampsMcIntosh/MimarGolubeva/Giotopoulos Moore
Roscher/SchusterPereira/MichaudKovalev/KovalevPeng/WangVaananen/ClericiLaurin/Ethier
Ghilardi/AmbrosiniStellato-Dudek/DeschampsPiegad/StrekalinZhang/YangKovalev/KovalevPereira/Michaud
Miura/KiharaHocke/KunkelVouillamoz/GiniauxMetelkina/BerulavaVaipan-Law/DigbyGhilardi/Ambrosini
Gamez/KorovinCaldara/MaglioHase/VolodinHocke/KunkelPavlova/SviatchenkoValesi/Piazza
Chan/HoweDanilova/TsibaBeccari/GuarisePavlova/SviatchenkoConti/MaciiMiura/Kihara
Kam/O'SheaMokhova/MokhovConti/MaciiOsipova/EpsteinChan/HoweDanilova/Tsiba
USA TBDPlazas/FernandezSmirnova/SiianytsiaKam/O'SheaSmirnova/SiianytsiaPlazas/Fernandez

Karen-W

And they'll start as juniors

I didn't see that decision coming, since they are eligible for GP assignments. I wonder if they'll change their minds if they get a GP assignment on the initial go-round.
Bringing this over from the OES News thread... Metelkina/Berulava will probably wind up on the JGP to start.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Bringing this over from the OES News thread....
This is the relevant passage (using Google Translate):

We will start the season, most likely, at the junior level. The International Skating Union is unlikely to give us the adult stages of the Grand Prix, because the joint rating is not enough. So let's go to the junior Grand Prix, then the Challengers, where we will gain this rating. And then we will combine the junior level with the master. Together, I hope we will earn the right to qualify for the main adult tournaments of the season.

To me, that sounds like they'd probably prefer senior if they do get a GP, but we'll see.

airgelaal

In my opinion, they will get more points in the rating from the jgp. There is also a chance to get to the final.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
That is almost always the case with juniors moving up. At some point, they have to bite the bullet, whether passively by aging out, or actively while still age-eligible. While there have been exceptions, like Tutberidze's Women, and Papadakis/Cizeron, who jumped from 13th to 1st in their first two senior seasons, it usually takes a.while to establish a reputation as seniors, even with a push from a major Fed and their network of judges.

Karen-W

In my opinion, they will get more points in the rating from the jgp. There is also a chance to get to the final.
They'll certainly get more points (and prize money) and I'm hard-pressed to imagine them not making the JGPF, quite likely winning. We'll have to see how much progress Sierova/Khobta, Williams/Lewer, Flores/Wang and Kemp/Elizarov have made, plus what Zheng/Deng can do, but, on paper at least, Metelkina/Berulava should be ahead of those teams.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Apparently Gracie's been in a boot most of the summer. So if she did have plans to continue, she will be way behind.

I'm pretty gutted for Starr. I wish there was a skating with the stars type of show she could do adagio pairs in and be in the public eye, as she's be great at that.

And y'all are killing me with these fake lineups. I keep checking this thread and thinking they are real. #longestoffseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information