U.S. Men 2023-24 news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
2023 Grand Prix assignments as of June 28, 2023 (9 spots/7 men):

Ilia Malinin: Skate America #1 & France #3 [SB #3 / WS #2]
Camden Pulkinen: France #3 & Japan #6 [SB #21 / WS #18]
Andrew Torgashev: Skate America (debut) [SB #54 / WS #110]
Maxim Naumov: Skate America (debut, not counting 2020 domestic SkAm) [SB #32 / WS #55]
Liam Kapeikis: Skate Canada #2 [SB #36 / WS #38]
Jimmy Ma: Cup of China #4 [SB #37 / WS #20]
Lucas Broussard: Cup of China (debut) [SB #40 / WS #42]

Elected not to compete in Grand Prix for the second year: Jason Brown [SB #6 / WS #16]

USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) currently lists 32 men [2022-23 Jr./Sr. Grand Prix Final/Nationals/4CC/Junior Worlds/Worlds placement(s) included below].

Competed Senior at 2023 Nationals and/or Sectionals, competed senior internationally in 2022-23, debuting on 2023 Grand Prix and/or have aged out of ISU Junior; [* = U.S. senior level men still ISU Junior age-eligible in 2023-24]:

*William Annis [S15]
*Lucas Broussard [JGPF2/J1/JW7]
Jason Brown [S2/W5]
Tomoki Hiwatashi [S10]
Liam Kapeikis [S6/4CC14]
Joonsoo Kim [S14]
*Joseph Klein [S13]
*Kai Kovar
Alexander Liu [J13]
Jimmy Ma [S5/4CC9]
*Ilia Malinin [GPF3/S1/W3]
*Daniel Martynov [S11/JW10]
Samuel Mindra [S9]
Daniil Murzin [J4]
Maxim Naumov [S4/4CC10]
Yaroslav Paniot [S7]
Camden Pulkinen [S8]
Andrew Torgashev [S3/W21]
Maxim Zharkov

ISU Junior age-eligible in 2023-24:
Nicholas Brooks [J12/N]
Aleksandr Fegan [J10/N]
Kirk Haugeto [J7]
Jonathan Hildebrandt [J9]
Lucius Kazanecki [J14]
Zachary LoPinto [J11/N]
Antonio Monaco [added in May 2023]
Nhat-Viet Nguyen [J16]
Jacob Sanchez [J2]
Taira Shinohara [J8]
Beck Strommer [J6]
Michael Xie [J5/JW34]
Robert Yampolsky [JGPF5/J3/JW-wd]

Team Envelopes were published on July 1, 2023:

TEAM A
Ilia Malinin
Jason Brown

TEAM B
Andrew Torgashev
Maxim Naumov
Camden Pulkinen
Jimmy Ma
Liam Kapeikis

TEAM C
Yaroslav Paniot
Lucas Broussard
Robert Yampolsky
Daniel Martynov
Michael Xie
Jacob Sanchez

TEAM D
Daniil Murzin
Beck Strommer
Vaclav Vasquez
Connor O'Grady
Nicholas Brooks
Lorenzo Elano
Zachary LoPinto
Aleksandr Fegan

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
2 interviews posted in the previous thread that are well worth checking out if you haven't already:
Andrew Torgashev is Polina's latest guest on her podcast. It's great to hear about his journey the past season and how he started a new chapter in California.

Here’s a charming interview with Lucas Broussard (recorded at Junior Worlds in Calgary) by Judith D. & Tatjana F. for Golden Skate that was uploaded today [April 24]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-M8OEDDLYc

Lucas (silent ‘s’ at the end - he was named after a soccer player ;)) was a competitive ski racer before he started figure skating at the age of 9 in Sun Valley.
Broussard had mentioned in this early March interview that he was moving up to senior in the U.S. but planning to stay junior internationally, but obviously his plans have since changed. :)

SkateFanBerlin

I don`t totally understand. Jason is still in an envelop because he hasn`t announced retirement? Does he recieve help only if he competes?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Looks like invitations are out for the US Junior Team Cup - https://instagram.com/stories/jacob...e=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

15 men - Beck Strommer, Nhat-Viet Nguyen, Michael Xie, Taira Shinohara, Nicholas Brooks, Jacob Sanchez, Daniil Murzin, Lucius Kazanecki, Lorenzo Elano, Antonio Monaco, Joseph Klein, Aleksandr Fegan, Kai Kovar, Kirk Haugeto, and Daniel Martynov.

I'm a bit surprised that Robert Yampolsky isn't on the list. Is he injured?

Last edited:

Stephanie

I thought Murzin was too old for the JGP (per the nationals thread his birthday was in August 2003)?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I thought Murzin was too old for the JGP (per the nationals thread his birthday was in August 2003)?
As of June last year, he was 18 according to this:

So he was likely born August 21, 2004, making him eligible for junior internationals this season.

ETA- I realize my math would not be correct with the above. If he was 18 in June 2022, he would've turned 19 in in August last year and he'd be too old for junior internationals as of this week. August 21, 2003 does indeed sound like the correct birth date.

Last edited:

Samurina

As of June last year, he was 18 according to this:

So he was likely born August 21, 2004, making him eligible for junior internationals this season.

ETA- I realize my math would not be correct with the above. If he was 18 in June 2022, he would've turned 19 in in August last year and he'd be too old for junior internationals as of this week. August 21, 2003 does indeed sound like the correct birth date.
I think he was 17 at JR Nats, so wouldn't that make him 18

Sylvia

TBD
Daniil Murzin's DOB was listed in the 2023 U.S. Nationals program book as August 21, 2003 which means he was 19 as of July 1, 2023 and therefore has aged out of ISU Junior this season, unfortunately. He placed 2nd at the U.S. Junior Team Cup (won the FS and landed a 4S with a turnout) -- hopefully he will get an early senior international opportunity.

Michael Xie won the U.S. Junior Team Cup men's event - link to his photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CuiSOorrGyR/
He's been working with Samuel Mindra's coaches (he thanked them "for the guidance so far these past few months") and will start college at UC Berkeley this year (he has "grrr 🐻 ‘27" on his Instagram profile page).

3rd to 5th place were Kai Kovar, Beck Strommer (2nd in FS) and Jacob Sanchez (landed 3A cleanly in both programs [eta] for the 2nd time this season) and I assume each will be assigned to a JGP along with Xie.

Last edited:

emilieh

Daniil Murzin's DOB was listed in the 2023 U.S. Nationals program book as August 21, 2003 which means he was 19 as of July 1, 2023 and therefore has aged out of ISU Junior this season, unfortunately. He placed 2nd at the U.S. Junior Team Cup (won the FS and landed a 4S with a turnout) -- hopefully he will get an early senior international opportunity.

Murzin has already competed at the senior level this season, so it seems like he plans to move up to senior, which makes plenty of sense. I don't understand why he was even invited to the Junior Cup. Why go back to junior programs when he already has senior ones?

tutuchat

Murzin has already competed at the senior level this season, so it seems like he plans to move up to senior, which makes plenty of sense. I don't understand why he was even invited to the Junior Cup. Why go back to junior programs when he already has senior ones?

tutuchat

Off subject, sorry, but do you no which hotel is hosting the Skaters and coaches in Ohio for Nationals in January.?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Jason posted a clip of the ending of his new SP, "Adios".

I like the lyrics he chose to end with.

"The decision is mine/the lesson be mine/the vision is mine..."

Allskate

I like the lyrics he chose to end with.

"The decision is mine/the lesson be mine/the vision is mine..."
That is the end of the song. I love the way he ends the program after the spins, raising his arm and grasping, reiterating some of his arm and hand movements in the spin.

Here's the entire song:

www.youtube.com

Benjamin Clementine â Adios (2014)

A song from his second EP, "Glorious You". Completely self-taught and born in North London, Clementine moved fairly spontaneously to Paris at 19. Homeless, h...
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

As I mentioned in the Jason Brown fan thread, I can see these lyrics resonating with Jason:

"After all, why should I have any regrets
If it weren't for the mistakes I made yesterday
Where would I be by now?"

I think there's a very good chance that this short program would not exist if Jason had made the 2018 Olympic team.

ETA: People have been speculating that "Adios" is a goodbye/retirement program. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but the lyrics as a whole don't seem to give that impression.

"Adiós to the little child in me
Who kept on blaming everyone else
Instead of facing his own defeat
After all, why should I have any regret
If it wasn't for the mistakes I made yesterday
Where would I be by now"

And then there's this:

"Lest the trees cease breathing
Lest the bees cease breeding
And all the salts in the dead sea
Ferment to honey
Until then, I will be forever chasing
Chasing
Chasing it all to the very end"

So, basically, he's that he's never going to retire. :lol: ;)

Last edited:

Allskate

As it turns out, we may not see that Adios program from Jason. At least, not this season.

It turns out that Rohene just choreographed two short programs for Jason. (Rohene has choreographed two programs for Jason before and he used them in different seasons.)

Rohene said:

"back at it again!!! On our second short program for this season!!! You have to give the boy options heneeeyyyyy!!!!

I do hope there is going to be a new long program.

Karen-W

The ISP has been updated this week -

Added -
Lorenzo Elano

Removed -
Joonsoo Kim

USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) currently lists 32 men [2022-23 Jr./Sr. Grand Prix Final/Nationals/4CC/Junior Worlds/Worlds placement(s) included below].

Competed Senior at 2023 Nationals and/or Sectionals, competed senior internationally in 2022-23, debuting on 2023 Grand Prix and/or have aged out of ISU Junior; [* = U.S. senior level men still ISU Junior age-eligible in 2023-24]:

*William Annis [S15]
*Lucas Broussard [JGPF2/J1/JW7]
Jason Brown [S2/W5]
Tomoki Hiwatashi [S10]
Liam Kapeikis [S6/4CC14]
Joonsoo Kim [S14]
*Joseph Klein [S13]
*Kai Kovar
Alexander Liu [J13]
Jimmy Ma [S5/4CC9]
*Ilia Malinin [GPF3/S1/W3]
*Daniel Martynov [S11/JW10]
Samuel Mindra [S9]
Daniil Murzin [J4]
Maxim Naumov [S4/4CC10]
Yaroslav Paniot [S7]
Camden Pulkinen [S8]
Andrew Torgashev [S3/W21]
Maxim Zharkov

ISU Junior age-eligible in 2023-24:
Nicholas Brooks [J12/N]
Aleksandr Fegan [J10/N]
Kirk Haugeto [J7]
Jonathan Hildebrandt [J9]
Lucius Kazanecki [J14]
Zachary LoPinto [J11/N]
Antonio Monaco [added in May 2023]
Nhat-Viet Nguyen [J16]
Jacob Sanchez [J2]
Taira Shinohara [J8]
Beck Strommer [J6]
Michael Xie [J5/JW34]
Robert Yampolsky [JGPF5/J3/JW-wd]

Sylvia

TBD
Liam Kapeikis 7/14/23 article in his hometown (Wenatchee, WA) paper:
Excerpts:
Most days he rises early and warms up for 45 minutes before hitting the ice for the next two-and-a-half hours. Immediately following every practice session is a 30-minute cooldown period and one to two hours of off-ice training.
Pilates, ballet, weightlifting, and cardio all help to build a better skater but at this level, where everyone is elite, growth isn’t measured by leaps and bounds but by infinitesimal improvements. Many of these are unnoticed until previous performances are compared to where they are now.
“The stepping stones are small,” he said. “Right now I’m developing quads. From last season to now, they’re much more developed.”
Kapeikis landed a quadruple salchow in competition for the first time last year but this season, he’s already added two different quad jumps to his long program. Each program develops as the skater adds skills to their repertoire.
After each season, he usually swaps either the long or short program with a new one arranged in collaboration with his choreographer, Joey Russell. This year, he’s swapped both programs for new ones that were finalized two to three months ago.
All these elements are part of what motivates him and what motivates him has evolved over the years.
“That’s what I like,” he said. “It’s a good mix of the physical and artistry. I love the sport and now I get to travel all over the world, which is really nice — meet different people and connect to different audiences and build myself up in the skating world.”
There’s also another element that hadn’t crossed his mind until recently.
“At this point, I’m getting some fans,” he said with a chuckle. “I’d like to please them, too, and work to get better.”
The article mentions "... a small competition in California and a small international event in Boston on the horizon" so it appears Liam will start his season at Glacier Falls NQS in Anaheim next week and then Cranberry Cup in August.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
Liam Kapeikis 7/14/23 article in his hometown (Wenatchee, WA) paper:
Excerpts:

The article mentions "... a small competition in California and a small international event in Boston on the horizon" so it appears Liam will start his season at Glacier Falls NQS in Anaheim next week and then Cranberry Cup in August.
Small competition in California? I don't think it's small at 600+ skaters.....

Karen-W

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information