U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Grand Prix assignments as of June 28, 2023 (17 spots/9 teams):

Chock/Bates: Skate America (#1) & Finland (#5)
Hawayek/Baker: France (#3) & Japan (#6)
Green/Parsons: Skate America & China (#4)
Carreira/Ponomarenko: France & Finland
Zingas/Kolesnik (GP debut): Skate Canada (#2) & Finland
Bratti/Somerville: China & Japan
Pate/Bye: Canada & China
McNamara/Spiridonov: France
Brown/Brown: Skate Canada

3rd Skate America spot is TBD.

USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) currently lists 18 teams [2022-23 Grand Prix Final/Nationals/4CC/Junior Worlds/Worlds placement(s) included below]:

*Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry [J6]
Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville [S5]
Oona Brown and Gage Brown [S9]
*Helena Carhart and Volodymyr Horovyi [J2/JW9]
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko [S3/4CC4/W10]
Madison Chock and Evan Bates [GPF2/S1/3CC1/W1]
*Julia Epps and Blake Gilman [J8]
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons [S2/4CC5/W6]
*Jenna Hauer and Benjamin Starr [J3/JW8]
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker [GPF5/S-wd]
*Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain [J7]
Raffaella Koncius and Alexey Shchepetov [S-wd]
Angela Ling and Caleb Wein [S11]
Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov [S6]
*Leah Neset and Artem Markelov [J1/JW5]
Eva Pate and Logan Bye [S8]
*Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal [J4]
Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik [S4]

* = ISU Junior age-eligible in 2023-24

Team Envelopes were published on USFS' website on July 1, 2023:

Team A:
Madison Chock & Evan Bates
Caroline Green & Michael Parsons
Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko
Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

Team B:
Emilea Zingas & Vadym Kolesnik
Emily Bratti & Ian Somerville
Lorraine McNamara & Anton Spiridonov
Eva Pate & Logan Bye
Oona Brown & Gage Brown

Team C:
Leah Neset & Artem Markelov
Helena Carhart & Volodymyr Horovyi
Jenna Hauer & Benjamin Starr

Team D:
Elliana Peal & Ethan Peal
Kristina Bland & Matthew Sperry
Sylvia Li & Rowan Le Coq [he was listed on IPS back in March... unless they have since re-teamed?]
Emily Renzi & William Lissauer

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Team D:
Sylvia Li & Rowan Le Coq [he was listed on IPS back in March... unless they have since re-teamed?]
From some of the pics skaters shared from dance camp last weekend, I got the impression that Li and Le Coq have reunited. But they were all off ice so they could have been there with new partners and just hanging out together.

ice coverage

... Team Envelopes were published on USFS' website on July 1, 2023:

Team D:

Annelise Stapert/Maxim Korotcov also belong on Team D, if USFS is following its published criteria for 2023-24.
They placed second in 2023 NQS national standings for Novice, and the USFS document says:

TEAM D - TIER 2
o Placements 1st – 3rd in the novice dance national rankings in the 2023 U.S. Figure Skating National Qualifying Series

Stapert/Korotcov were in some of the USFS Dance Camp photos/videos on social media just a few days ago (sometimes wearing Dance Camp t-shirts, IIRC), so it seems unlikely to me that they plan to start representing a different federation.
And they just competed together at Chesapeake, so the partnership was intact as of a few days ago.

I know that USFS envelope listings have been known to be somewhat error-prone when first published (and my eyebrows are raised today regarding a few things for other disciplines too).
Hope Stapert/Korotcov will be added. 🙏

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Cross-posting here - Excellent news for US ice dance! We can use all the extra spots we get in ice dance!

The announcement for JGP #2 - Linz, Austria is up - JGP-AUT2023_Announcement_Final.pdf

Looks like the USA and France both picked up a 2nd spot in Ice Dance.

Italy, Japan and Switzerland will be using 2 spots in Men; China, Japan and Korea will be using 2 spots in Women; while both Czechia and Korea gave up their 2nd spot and Great Britain passed on a 2nd spot in Ice Dance.

Karen-W

And another cross-post - 2 spots for JGP Istanbul too!

And the announcement for JGP #3 - Istanbul, Turkey is also up! JGPTUR2023_Announcement_Final.pdf

Another ice dance pick up for both USA and France! Canada picked up a 2nd spot in Men.

Japan & Switzerland are using 2 spots in Men while Italy gave up their 2nd spot; China, Japan & Korea are using their 2 spots in Women; Canada & Czechia kept their 2nd spots in Ice Dance while Korea gave up theirs and Great Britain (again) passed on a 2nd spot.

Karen-W

I'm too lazy to cross-post from the JGP thread, but the USA has picked up a 2nd spot in Osaka and Budapest - it's also looking really good for the USA to pick up at least 1 other spot in either Gdansk or Yerevan, possibly both. We'll see whenever those last two competition announcements are posted by the ISU.

Also - do we have the entry lists/results page for Dallas Classic yet?

Karen-W

Well, the USA picked up a 2nd JGP spot in BOTH Gdansk and Yerevan - 14 spots total! Could not have asked for a better outcome - now, let's just hope the USFS uses all 14 spots this year!

The following 4 teams should easily get 2 assignments:
Neset/Markelov
Hauer/Starr
Carhart/Horovyi
Peal/Peal

The following teams can probably look forward to at least 1 assignment, with the hope of earning a 2nd:
Bland/Sperry
Epps/Gilman
Ilin/Cain
Mullen/Mullen (once they compete this summer at a NQS event and put up a good enough score to be added back to the ISP)

Who else is there in the junior ranks that we should be looking out for/paying attention to in the JGP assignment sweepstakes?

Last edited:

Karen-W

Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain also are in the ISP now (she is finally old enough this season).
Thanks! I wasn't positive if she was age-eligible yet. I'll edit my post above to include them. :)

Karen-W

Ilin/Cain are listed in my post #1. :) She will turn 14 on July 20 and he will be 15 on August 14.
Whoops!

Do you know if Renzi/Lissauer are junior age-eligible? I'm not even going to ask about Li/Le Coq until we see them compete together again, lol.

ice coverage

I'm compiling team envelope questions to forward and Stapert/Korotcov are included in my list. :)

Thank you, Sylvia! I can see that for other disciplines, USFS has made revisions to envelope funding page. 👏
But not for ice dance, so Stapert/Korotcov still have not been added. 😞

Anyway, Stapert/Korotcov also would be age-eligible for junior internationals.

BTW, ice-dance.com's New Team Series has a Q & A with U.S. junior partnership Michela Melillo (18) and Simon Mintz (15), who plan to compete at Dallas Classic.
(Although she competed at 2023 Nats with a different Junior partner, he is moving up from Intermediate -- so my guess would be that they need some time before any thoughts of qualifying for ISP.)

(Jul 10)​

Good luck to all at Dallas Classic! 🥳
Curious to see what new partnerships come to light. I think there might be at least one good surprise (unrelated to the possibility of Li/Le Coq returning).

Karen-W

Bella Flores just sent out a thank you to all the GoFundMe contributors and said they got Vanya’s release!
I just checked my email and it's a really wonderful thank you note! I'm so pleased they received his release in time for LPIDI!

Also, she just posted on her IG story within the last hour that they're headed to Dallas - presumably to compete. The Peals have also indicated they are ready for their first competition this weekend, so I'm guessing they're one of the junior teams entered. :cool:

Karen-W

Dallas Classic starting orders are up and Jeffrey Chen has a new partner - Yahli Pedersen - and they're competing in juniors this season. Jonathan Rogers also as a new partner (I think this might have been reported in the previous US ice dance thread) - Anya Lavrova.

Dobre

Dallas Classic starting orders are up and Jeffrey Chen has a new partner - Yahli Pedersen
I had a feeling he was going to show up;).

(Because we haven't heard anything about him moving on to focus on anything else, even from Karen, who is clearly proud of her brother & has posted about his successes in the past).

I didn't expect he would be with someone I hadn't heard of, but she's apparently been competing in solo dance.

----

Jonathan Rogers also as a new partner (I think this might have been reported in the previous US ice dance thread) - Anya Lavrova.
It's nice to hear she is coming back.

Tinycities

Random interesting tidbit, when looking up Jeffrey Chen’s new partner, Yahli Pedersen.. most of the videos are her skating with Vadym Kolesnik a few years ago. There also seems to be some with Logan Bye and Charlie White.

Very interested in seeing her and Jeffrey skating together, and also for the Wolfkostin/Tsarevski debut as well.

YukiNieve

Dobre

Is younger Carhart skating for the US, Israel or Azerbaijan?
Youngest? Always beware the youngest siblings. They start early enough. (I'd assume she'll one day skate for team USA unless there's ultimately a competitive reason to do otherwise). I thought she & partner were pretty great in the performance clip we had posted here from last season.

azcalder

Youngest? Always beware the youngest siblings. They start early enough. (I'd assume she'll one day skate for team USA unless there's ultimately a competitive reason to do otherwise). I thought she & partner were pretty great in the performance clip we had posted here from last season.

The youngest Carhart is Marian, who skates Intermediate Dance with Denis Bledsoe, who was born in Georgia USA. He later moved to Russia with his mother, but returned to the US a few years ago. I'm sure they will continue to skate for USA.

Sylvia

TBD
The Peals have also indicated they are ready for their first competition this weekend
The Peal siblings debuted at Chesapeake Open last month - link to the post in the previous thread that includes their LOTR-themed free dance video: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...2-23-news-updates.109795/page-30#post-6444279
Elliana also posted a vlog after Chesapeake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf8j4vilJgU

New Junior teams at Dallas Classic:
Michela Melillo, Connecticut Skating Academy / Simon Mintz, Hayden Recreation Centre FSC
Zoe Cialella, Arctic FSC / David Goldshteyn, SC of Novi (same guy who represented FIN last season, I assume: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111072.htm)
Anya Lavrova, Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights / Jonathan Rogers, Texas Gulf Coast FSC
Amy Cui, SC of Boston / Kenny Eckert, IceWorks SC (Amy's sister Ela competed at the U.S. Junior Team Cup in Milwaukee last week)
Jane Calhoun, Broadmoor SC / Daniil Veselukhin, Broadmoor SC
Yahli Pedersen, Ann Arbor FSC / Jeffrey Chen, Peninsula SC

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I meant the Carhart skating at Dallas, I guess the middle sister. Her partner’s club is Israel.

Karen-W

I meant the Carhart skating at Dallas, I guess the middle sister. Her partner’s club is Israel.
No, that's the oldest Carhart sibling. They (Carhart/Kolosovskyi) skated for Azerbaijan last season, but he is listed as a member of the Israel Ice Skating Federation on the Dallas Classic senior entries list.

The Carhart siblings are Adrienne (senior - skates with Sasha Kolosovskyi), Helena (junior for one more season - skates with Volodomyr Horovyi), and Marian (intermediate - skates with Drew Bledsoe).

Sylvia

TBD

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Adrienne Carhart was one of the people who commented with emojis at Katarina Mueller's post about joining the YGA coaching staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information