U.S. Ice Dance 2022-23 news & updates

Dobre

The Chesapeake Open is this week, June 21-24th.

Here is the Facebook page:

Is anyone attending and/or does anyone know which junior teams are planning to compete?

Sylvia

TBD
Carhart/Horovyi are competing at the Paradise Coast Classic ...
They skated the RD yesterday [June 10] - link to results https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2023/32314/CAT039SEG050.html
Belatedly, I was able to watch Helena Carhart/Volodymyr Horovyi's Junior RD to "Never Tear Us Apart" and "What You Need" by INXS in the unlisted livestream video (both links posted by @TanithandBenFan have since been set to private). The Hagan siblings skated their Ghostbusters Junior RD after C/H.
The Intermediate FD of Marian Carhart/Denis Bledsoe (won Juvenile at the U.S. Ice Dance Final in November 2022) was to music from The Mask of Zorro OST.

The Chesapeake Open is this week, June 21-24th.
Starting orders are posted now: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2023/32141/index.asp
Is anyone attending and/or does anyone know which junior teams are planning to compete?
Only 5 Junior teams are listed (Peals and Epps/Gilman are in the ISP) - direct link to the Junior RD starting order for tomorrow (Thursday): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2023/32141/CAT010SEG027.html
Senior RD+FD combined event only has Zoe Larson/Andrii Kapran (UKR) & Klara Kowar/Thomas Schwappach; Cara Murphy/Joshua Levitt are scheduled for Senior FD only. I'm told there is no livestreaming.
USFS' annual Dance camp again will be held in conjunction with/after this competition.

YukiNieve

David Shapiro is on the Ice Partner Search!

I thought he might try solo dance but did not expect that he'd try ice dance.
I wonder if he was inspired by the experience at Ice Explosion, working with ice dancers such as Kaitlyn & Andrew and Kana and Daisuke there.
Though his comments sound like he is not yet certain if he'd try competing (look at Daisuke😀), I hope he can find a good partner!

Last edited:

Debbie S

At the rink for Junior FD...

Stapert/Korotcov - tango, a bit rough, looked like something went wrong/missed position on 1st lift, nice choreo sequence, need to bring more tango expression

Renzi/Lissauer - Diamonds are Forever, Your Song from Moulin Rouge, and then the 'Can-Can' song, or whatever it's called, sorry!....good skating, strange music combo, she seems a bit stronger than him, they are doing a variation of C/B choreo spin move (not a full split)

Mullens - Survivor by 2WEI, nice upside down lift, good speed on spin, he struggled a bit on 2nd twizzle, good rotational lift to end

Peals - green costumes, Elliana with bedazzled head, music sounds like a soundtrack which I probably know bit drawing a blank, lots of flute sounds, good choreo sequence and slide, elements clean, a nice combo lift

Debbie S

OK, so Epps/Gilman only w/d from RD, it looks like...darn, I missed them, got here right as S/K were about to skate, blame traffic and rain. :(

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
At the rink for Junior FD...

Stapert/Korotcov - tango, a bit rough, looked like something went wrong/missed position on 1st lift, nice choreo sequence, need to bring more tango expression

Renzi/Lissauer - Diamonds are Forever, Your Song from Moulin Rouge, and then the 'Can-Can' song, or whatever it's called, sorry!....good skating, strange music combo, she seems a bit stronger than him, they are doing a variation of C/B choreo spin move (not a full split)

Mullens - Survivor by 2WEI, nice upside down lift, good speed on spin, he struggled a bit on 2nd twizzle, good rotational lift to end

Peals - green costumes, Elliana with bedazzled head, music sounds like a soundtrack which I probably know bit drawing a blank, lots of flute sounds, good choreo sequence and slide, elements clean, a nice combo lift
You gotta get the Shazam app! 😉

Debbie S

Well, I got the music for the Senior teams :p

Kowar/Sch - James Bond themes, their official announcement (here or the last thread) was No Time to Die, but that doesn't start until about a min and a half in....first part is instrumental themes from other Bond movies (Skyfall, Writing's on the Wall, Live and Let Die). Some wobbles on turns and I know they'll be lucky to make Nats, but seeing their speed and edges up close shows how good even the lower-ranked teams are. :)

Larson/Kapron - Notre Dame de Paris (OK, I know their music has already been ID'ed, but I still recognized it!). Good expression, nice lifts.

Murphy/Levitt - To Build a Home. Got a bit distracted by something else but they had a nice hydroblade/slide move to end.

shan

Well, I got the music for the Senior teams :p

Kowar/Sch - James Bond themes, their official announcement (here or the last thread) was No Time to Die, but that doesn't start until about a min and a half in....first part is instrumental themes from other Bond movies (Skyfall, Writing's on the Wall, Live and Let Die). Some wobbles on turns and I know they'll be lucky to make Nats, but seeing their speed and edges up close shows how good even the lower-ranked teams are. :)

Larson/Kapron - Notre Dame de Paris (OK, I know their music has already been ID'ed, but I still recognized it!). Good expression, nice lifts.

Murphy/Levitt - To Build a Home. Got a bit distracted by something else but they had a nice hydroblade/slide move to end.
Thanks for sharing info! 🙂

ice coverage

The Peals have shared video of their complete Lord of the Rings FD from Chesapeake:

ETA:​
RD music for Peals is Janet Jackson, per their proud coach/father's post (including Chesapeake podium photo of Junior Dance medalists):​

Thank you to @Debbie S and @YukiNieve for all of your reports/tweets/photos.

From @Sylvia 's list above, Ilin/Cain are the only team age-eligible for the 2024 Winter Youth Olympics (athletes have to be born between 2006 and 2009).

That being said, since the event clashes with nationals, we'll have to wait and see if USFS plans to send anyone and/or if any athletes under consideration will choose to skip nationals in favor of YOG. ...

YOG communication where age requirements are mentioned: https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/30937-isu-communication-2546/file

Following up on Stephanie's post from April:

Thanks to Chesapeake, we now know that Stapert/Korotcov and Renzi/Lissauer have moved up to Junior.​
FWIW, both couples also meet the YOG age requirements and potentially could become options if Ilin/Cain were to choose Nats.​

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Isabella Flores posted the first part of her and Vanya’s RD - Pour Some Sugar on Me. This looks 🔥🔥

YukiNieve

Chesapeake Open
Jr. RD

Not much to add to Debbie's excellent summary;

- Epps/Gilman: Latin Music that my iPhone apps cannot identify. Some twizzle synchronization issues, but a cute program.

- Stapert/Korotcov: Music includes Malaguena and Bamboleo. Love their stylish black costumes.

- Renzi/Lissauer: As Debbie said, interesting combination of music pieces. Emily has a great line and her free leg was extended well and looked beautiful.

- Mullens:Their performance seemed more complete compared to others at this point. Their movements expressed the intensity of the music well.

- Peals: Cool knee slide towards the end.

Some-not-so-good photos (due to the net) that are barely enough to see the costumes 😂

Sr. FD

I was late for Kowar/Sch.

Larson/Kapron: Their movements included good change of pace from soft to dynamic.

Murphy/Levitt: Minor mistakes in twizzle and step, but their movements were expressive.

Again, some not-so-good photos:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
2023 Grand Prix assignments as of June 28 (17 spots/9 teams):

Chock/Bates: Skate America (#1) & Finland (#5)
Hawayek/Baker: France (#3) & Japan (#6)
Green/Parsons: Skate America & China (#4)
Carreira/Ponomarenko: France & Finland
Zingas/Kolesnik (GP debut): Skate Canada (#2) & Finland
Bratti/Somerville: China & Japan
Pate/Bye: Canada & China
McNamara/Spiridonov: France
Brown/Brown: Skate Canada

3rd Skate America spot is TBD.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Isabella Flores posted the first part of her and Vanya’s RD - Pour Some Sugar on Me. This looks 🔥🔥

Their RD is choreographed by Massimo Scali: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuE-h1bulWh/
Part 2 of the RD reveal! The second part of our RD is to “When Doves Cry” by Prince— the recorded version, not the live version played here (there is a copyright on the recorded version, I think). We are super excited to show it off this season!!

TanithandBenFan

Looks like the Browns are using Footloose for their RD

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

This could be really good for them, I think.

Isn't it about time for a new 2023-24 US Ice Dance thread?

litenkyckling

I think is is fun and playful and suits where they’re at too - hoping for a better season for them

Also - I see Oona has cut her hair - it looks like a good length now! I didn’t have any opinion on it before but I definitely think shorter hair will help them look a little older. I also think that Montreal’s guidance on their packaging will hopefully be good because I do feel like their styling is sometimes a little off and doesn’t also feel like a finished look to fit with the music

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information