2023-24 ISU Grand Prix Assignments & projected alternates

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Do they? She has a US and a Russian passport, for sure. One would think she probably also has a Georgian one already too. Gleb has a Russian passport and maybe an Israeli passport if rumors are to be believed. No idea if he is automatically entitled to a Georgian passport as her spouse (presuming she has one).
At least one of them has to have a Georgian passport for them to skate for Georgia. Because they don't meet the ISU definition of residency for teams where neither does.

airgelaal

Do they? She has a US and a Russian passport, for sure. One would think she probably also has a Georgian one already too. Gleb has a Russian passport and maybe an Israeli passport if rumors are to be believed. No idea if he is automatically entitled to a Georgian passport as her spouse (presuming she has one).
I am sure that Gleb has another passport. It is more difficult to travel with a russian passport.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Just throwing it out there that Japanese citizens also don't need a visa to travel to China and Komatsubara/Koleto have pushed into the 1st 10 alternates group, plus they're another GP Host feds team...

SidelineSkater

In a quick search of visa for China, it looks like there is conflicting info. Some say it's at least 30 days for processing. Others say expedited could be 4-5 days. Who knows if a team/person already has a visa for 'just in case'.

I read that Japan, Korea and maybe Singapore citizens don't need a visa.

The other question - is there another Chinese dance team that could replace W/L?

Edit to add: keep in mind having a passport is one thing, but having a visa is also required in most cases.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
In a quick search of visa for China, it looks like there is conflicting info. Some say it's at least 30 days for processing. Others say expedited could be 4-5 days. Who knows if a team/person already has a visa one 'just in case'.

I read that Japan, Korea and maybe Singapore citizens don't need a visa.

The other question - is there another Chinese dance team that could replace W/L?
W/L were already replaced by a Chinese team. China gave up their third spot, so the Taschler's spot would not have to go to a team from China since it was allocated to the replacements list.

SidelineSkater

W/L were already replaced by a Chinese team. China gave up their third spot, so the Taschler's spot would not have to go to a team from China since it was allocated to the replacements list.
Missed that. Thank you.

At this point, is China required to replace T/T?

Karen-W

Missed that. Thank you.

At this point, is China required to replace T/T?
No, they are not. They're well within the 14-day window where they don't have to replace the Taschlers.

See post from @Sylvia -

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Does Repond have an injury that has been hampering her? It seemed like something was wrong at Angers. :(

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
I'm guessing Shmuratko will replace Nordeback and Matsuike may replace Mihara if there's enough time. And I guess Ziegler or Gutmann is in for Repond? I'm starting to lose track of who's been assigned a second GP yet.

airgelaal

I'm guessing Shmuratko will replace Nordeback and Matsuike may replace Mihara if there's enough time. And I guess Ziegler or Gutmann is in for Repond? I'm starting to lose track of who's been assigned a second GP yet.
I bet on Starostin.

Karen-W

Just to refresh the Alternates Lists -

Open spots - CoC 1 Woman & 1 Dance (both probably left unfilled given the difficulties in arranging travel & visas on this short of notice); Espoo - 1 Man & 1 Woman

Possible open spots - Espoo 1 Pairs (Kam/O'Shea injury WD during GPdF), NHK 1 Woman (Mihara ankle injury)

Men 1-10
Kataise (GPdF)
Gorodnitsky (SCI)
Naumov (SkAm)
Orzel (SCI)
Kapeikis (SCI)
Broussard (CoC)
Shmuratko
Yoshioka (SkAm)
Starostin
Guarino Sabate

Men 11-20
Miyake
Samoilov
A Selevko
Torgashev (SkAm)
Levandi (Espoo)
Zandron
Le May (GPdF)
Lewton Brain
Maierhofer
K Witkowski

Men 21-26
Ha. Kim
Bralin
Y Cha
Kessler
Honda

Women 1-10
Ziegler (NHK)
Gutmann (SCI)
Matsuike (SCI)
Meite (SCI)
Harrell
van Zundert (NHK)
Hilmer
Mikutina
Seo (SkAm)
Ruiter (SCI)

Women 11-19
Daleman
Dupuis (SCI)
Miclette
Paganini
Sauter
Kiibus
Lang
Isaev
Mariia Seniuk (Denis Ten Memorial winner)

Pairs 1-10
Roscher/Schuster (SCI)
Caldara/Maglio (SkAm)
Mokhova/Mokhov (CoC)
Zhang/Yang (CoC)
Vouillamoz/Giniaux (France)
Vaipan-Law/Digby (SkAm)
Gamez/Korovin
Piegad/Strekalin (GPdF)
Simioli/Zarbo
Holichenko/Darenskiy

Pairs 11-15
Martins/Bedard (SkAm)
Vaananen/Clerici (Espoo)
Schaller/Mayr
Derenisky/Eberl
Kucianova/Bidar

Ice Dance 1-10
Ignateva/Szemko (Espoo)
Orihara/Pirinen (Espoo)
Dupayage/Nabais (France)
Bashynska/Beaumont (Espoo)
Harris/Chan (SkAm)
Bekker/Hernandez
Fabbri/Ayer (SCI)
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs (SCI)
Komatsubara/Koleto (NHK)
Manni/Roethlisberger

Ice Dance 11-20
Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy
Holubtsova/Bielobrov
Lagouge/Caffa
Simova/Aksenov
Gauthier/Thieren
Dozzi/Papetti
Hensen/Lickers
Terreaux/Perron
Polibina/Golovishnikov
Bronsard/Richmond

Ice Dance 21-27
Hancock/Fourati
Carhart/Kolosovskyi
Azroian/Gruzdev
Ramanauskaite/Kizala
Pucherova/Lysak
Nauryzova/Datiev
Davis/Smolkin (Budapest Trophy & Denis Ten Memorial winner)

Quick thoughts - given there isn't a replacement for the Taschlers at CoC yet, I'm not expecting them or Mihara to be replaced. Generally, spots vacated this close to the event don't get replaced (see Osipova/Epstein WD the weekend before SkAm) because the logistics are too difficult to overcome.

Lots of options to replace both Nordeback and Repond at Espoo. Because there are three Japanese men there already, that moves both Samoilov and A Selevko into the 1st 10 alternates, but my bet would be on one of Shmuratko, Starostin or Guarino Sabate. For the Women - Gutmann & van Zundert are the only two Europe-based skaters now that Mikutina is in college in NJ.

Mihara is assigned to NHK and if this ankle injury is troublesome enough, I'd expect Matsuike to be her replacement there.

Espoo Pairs - if KamOSh do WD, it's pretty much a coin flip choice, IMO, for possible replacement - none of the options are terribly inspiring or all that good. Of a poor lot, I'd maybe go with Piegad/Strekalin.

Last edited:

Karen-W

The USFS document now is showing that Liam Kapeikis has a bye to Nats. 🤔
(I know that it originally did not include Liam as a bye.)

Liam is the ninth bye for Senior Men for Nats.
Meaning that top two from each section will advance to Nats, along with the three with "Next Best National Scores."

Liam also is listed in starting order for Pacific Coast Sectionals.
If he really does compete there, his placement presumably will not affect anyone's advancement to Nats (including his own).

[Sorry if Liam already has been discussed in @Sylvia's Kiss and Cry thread(s).]

Interesting. I wonder if this means he got the open spot at the Espoo GP. That's the only logical reason I can think of that would allow for a bye.
Bringing this observation & speculation over from the US NQS thread... seems a pretty reasonable possibility.

Sylvia

TBD
Czech Federation mentions "health reasons" for the withdrawal.
The Taschlers posted an update today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CzUW059r3VL/
Excerpt:
As most of you already know, we had to withdraw from GP in China. Unfortunately injury kicked in and we had to stop immediately our preparation for this competition. Filip has competed with this injury already at Skate America. We didn’t think it would be any kind of serious injury but in the end after more specific doctor check up it showed up.
Right now we are in Czech Republic. We have to take some time off. Filip is in the best care🫶🏼💪🏻 And we will do everything to be back on the ice as soon as possible but of course health goes first ALWAYS!

Karen-W

Can’t they pick Valtter Virtanen and Aleks Selevko?
No to Valtter as he isn't on the Alternates list. Selevko is an option since there are already 3 Japanese men, so Kataise, Yoshioka & Miyake can't be assigned and that moves Samoilov, Selevko & Torgashev into the 1st 10 alternates group.

I would be really surprised if any replacemts are named given the short notice, but if it happens, I'd put money on the European-based guys.

Men 1-10
Kataise (GPdF)
Gorodnitsky (SCI)
Naumov (SkAm)
Orzel (SCI)
Broussard (CoC)
Shmuratko
Yoshioka (SkAm)
Starostin
Guarino Sabate
Miyake

Men 11-20