U.S. Men 2022-23 news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
It's the new reality - just 5 U.S. men were assigned to the 2022 Grand Prix series in the initial selection round (with Nathan, Vincent & Jason not in the GP selection pool for the first time in what seems like forever!).

Skate America in Norwood, MA, Oct. 21-23, 2022
Liam Kapeikis (debut/1 GP :)), Ilia Malinin (debut, not counting his 5th place finish at the domestic Skate America in 2020), 3rd spot TBD

Skate Canada International in Mississauga ON, Oct. 28-30
Jimmy Ma, Camden Pulkinen

Internationaux de France in Angers, Nov. 4-6
(No U.S. man)

MK John Wilson Trophy in Sheffield GBR, Nov. 11-13
Jimmy Ma

NHK Trophy in Sapporo JPN, Nov. 18-20
Tomoki Hiwatashi (1 GP)

Grand Prix Espoo FIN, Nov. 25-27
Ilia Malinin, Camden Pulkinen

ETA (currently listed in ISP; not including the five Grand Prix skaters above):

Currently listed in the ISP (competing Senior in U.S.):
Goku Endo (competing now at Collegiate Nationals, representing UCLA)
Joseph Klein (ISU Junior age-eligible)
Samuel Mindra
Maxim Naumov
Matthew Nielsen
Yaroslav Paniot (recovering from ankle surgery - his 6/14 Instagram story clip showed him stepping onto the ice at Great Park Ice with the caption "First time.")
Eric Sjoberg
Dinh Tran

ISU Junior age-eligible (JGP candidates in ISP):
William Annis
Lucas Broussard
Kirk Haugeto
Jonathan Hildebrandt
Lucius Kazanecki
Kai Kovar
Lake Liao
Antonio Monaco
Nhat-Viet Nguyen
Jacob Sanchez
Taira Shinohara
Beck Strommer
Robert Yampolsky (won the U.S. Junior Team Cup in Milwaukee, scoring 201.76)
Michael Xie (199.44, 2nd; won FS)
Maxim Zharkov (170.69, 3rd)

Last edited:

Sylvia

Copying over some pertinent links from the previous thread...

Fan Zone article on Camden Pulkinen by @clairecloutier (July 8):

July 15:
Tomoki posted a snippet of his new SP video on his Instagram account.
Looks so passionate and cool! 😍
https://www.instagram.com/p/CgAnkQClNxZ/

I think the music is Hans Zimmer's Romani Holiday (from Sherlock Holmes)?
Just saw that @crzesk8dad posted in the GP Assignments thread that "Tomoki is skating at Glacier Falls [Summer Classic in Anaheim, CA], next week."
Entries are not yet online - more info if/when I get it.

Sylvia

Michael XIE (won FS & 2nd overall in the U.S. Junior Team Cup in Milwaukee earlier this month) and Lucius KAZANECKI (4th place in Milwaukee) will make their respective JGP debuts for Team USA, August 24-27 in Courchevel, France. :) Kazanecki was added to the ISP in late June.

The 8 alternates (top 10 men's finishers in Milwaukee along with Xie & Kazanecki), as listed alphabetically in the ISU entries:
William ANNIS
Kirk HAUGETO (competed Novice earlier this summer & was invited to the Junior Team Cup after being added to the ISP in late June)
Jonathan HILDEBRANDT
Kai KOVAR
Taira SHINOHARA
Beck STROMMER
Robert YAMPOLSKY
Maxim ZHARKOV

Last edited:

Sylvia

@Frau Muller asked about Lucas Broussard in the JGP Announcement thread... he turned 16 last month and plans to stay junior, AFAIK. He has not competed yet this summer but hopefully will soon.

ETA: Jacob Sanchez, who made his JGP debut last year and turned 15 in April, competed this spring but had to take some time off to heal an injury and hopes to return to competition next month, last I heard.

Last edited:

Stephanie

@Frau Muller asked about Lucas Broussard in the JGP Announcement thread... he turned 16 last month and plans to stay junior, AFAIK. He has not competed yet this summer but hopefully will soon.

ETA: Jacob Sanchez, who made his JGP debut last year and turned 15 in April, competed this spring but had to take some time off to heal an injury and hopes to return to competition next month, last I heard.
Thank you very much for the updates on these two. I've been wondering about them and also Joseph Klein, who should be a JGP candidate as well. Hopefully we'll see them all soon (Glacier Falls, Philadelphia, Cranberry, etc.)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Thank you very much for the updates on these two. I've been wondering about them and also Joseph Klein, who should be a JGP candidate as well. Hopefully we'll see them all soon (Glacier Falls, Philadelphia, Cranberry, etc.)
I get concerned when neither Broussard nor Sanchez (or even Klein) is included among the eight US possible Subs (“S”) cited on the Courchevel list.

Maybe we’ll see their names pop up in later JGP event lists?

Same concern about Kanon Smith among Jr Women…

Evgeniafan

I hope Lucas and Jacob compete at Cranberry. They both have so much potential.

snoopysnake

Is Jason Brown not competing in the Grahd Prix this season? Any chance that he might be the TBD at Skate America?

Trillian

Is Jason Brown not competing in the Grahd Prix this season? Any chance that he might be the TBD at Skate America?

He would have received 2 assignments if he wanted them. I would not get my hopes up that he will be in the mix for the SkAm TBD spot - most likely men are - Hiwatashi, Naumov, Sjoberg, Paniot & Torgashev.

I mean, I’m sure USFS would put him at the top of the list if he wanted to be there, but I can’t imagine. He’s been on the road practically nonstop for months. If the other work slows down long enough for him to get bored at some point maybe we’ll see him at nationals, but as long as people keep giving him good reasons to hop on a plane every week, he’s not training for competition.

DreamSkates

I mean, I’m sure USFS would put him at the top of the list if he wanted to be there, but I can’t imagine. He’s been on the road practically nonstop for months. If the other work slows down long enough for him to get bored at some point maybe we’ll see him at nationals, but as long as people keep giving him good reasons to hop on a plane every week, he’s not training for competition.
He’s been “on the road” for major competitions around the world for multiple years and met his goal of a second Olympics. My guess is that he is done with competitive skating. I imagine other opportunities will open up for him.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
He indicated in an interview a month or so ago that it was probable he would skip the GP but skate the second half of the season ie Nationals/4CC/Worlds. He's talked about being unable to imagine ending his career in front of empty stands so I can definitely see him coming back for Nationals in front of a full house.

DreamSkates

He indicated in an interview a month or so ago that it was probable he would skip the GP but skate the second half of the season ie Nationals/4CC/Worlds. He's talked about being unable to imagine ending his career in front of empty stands so I can definitely see him coming back for Nationals in front of a full house.
Ok that is great news we may see him again!

Sylvia

From an NBCSports.com Olympic Talk article the day the GP assignments were published:
Brown, a 27-year-old who was sixth at the Olympics, is on “a mini break from the competitive grind of training” and will reevaluate next steps in the fall, a representative said.
Jason is scheduled to make a 2nd trip to Peru to teach a seminar after THE ICE tour is over in Japan, and he has a third trip to Japan coming up in late August:

Trillian

I can imagine him competing again for the reasons you mention - but my impression from all the post-Olympics interviews has been that he’s truly undecided and any “hints” we’ve gotten have just been him thinking out loud.

For a skater in Jason’s position, I would assume a big deciding factor is whether there are other opportunities that are more rewarding for him than competing at this point. So far it seems like there have been tons of opportunities and he’s saying “yes” to them as much as humanly possible, which is nice to see. It’s just going to a matter of whether he decides it’s worth it to hit pause (or if there’s enough of a lull) to go back to the grind of training for competition a little longer. I could imagine it going either way.

skatfan

It would be great to see him back in San Jose again!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Top summer scores 2022 so far, let me know if I missed any-

SENIOR MEN
Tomoki Hiwatashi 215.96
Ryan Dunk 212.23
Eric Sjoberg 197.59
Nathan Chapple 194.07
Samuel Mindra 186.33
Goku Endo 184.71
Mitchell Friess 183.32
Matthew Nielsen 178.22
Joseph Klein 174.68
Kai Kovar 171.71
Max Lake 171.43
Liam Kapeikis 171.10

JUNIOR MEN
Daniil Murzin 205.09
Robert Yampolsky 201.76
Michael Xie 199.44
Beck Strommer 193.75
Maxim Zharkov 170.99
Taira Shinohara 166.07
Lucius Kazanecki 165.88
Antonio Monaco 162.41
Will Annis 160.48
Nathan Chapple 159.94
Zachary Yaninek 159.30
Anthony Mugg 157.47
Kirk Haugeto 155.87
Kai Kovar 150.90

Last edited:

ice coverage

Top summer scores 2022 so far, let me know if I missed any- ...

JUNIOR MEN
Daniil Murzin 205.09
Robert Yampolsky 201.76
Michael Xie 199.44
Beck Strommer 193.75
Maxim Zharkov 170.99
Lucius Kazanecki 165.88
Antonio Monaco 162.41
Will Annis 160.48
Nathan Chapple 159.94
Zachary Yaninek 159.30
Kirk Haugeto 155.87
Kai Kovar 150.90

~ Taira Shinohara 166.07 in June at Southport.

ETA:

I remembered Southport b/c Taira ❤️ is one of my favorites, but also at the same event:

~ Anthony Mugg 157.47​

Last edited:

Sylvia

@YukiNieve posted this in the 2021-22 U.S. Men's news thread:
Tomoki posted a snippet of his new SP video on his Instagram account.
Looks so passionate and cool! 😍 https://www.instagram.com/p/CgAnkQClNxZ/

I think the music is Hans Zimmer's Romani Holiday (from Sherlock Holmes)?
You are correct! :) OIP's Jordan Cowan posted the same clip of Hiwatashi today: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CguT4ZWLX4I/
Remind me to sharpen my skates before I film Tomoki again ♯

US Senior Men's skater Tomoki Hiwatashi performs a section of his new 2022-23 Senior Short Program to "Romani Holiday" by Hans Zimmer, from the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack. Tomoki is coached by Damon Allen, with choreography by Mark Pillay. Filmed by Jordan Cowan of @oniceperspectives at The Broadmoor World Arena in June 2022.
Fan cam video by @cheremary of Tomoki's FS (last season's program to The Artist film soundtrack) that scored 153.35, 215.96 for 1st overall), at the Glacier Falls Summer Classic club comp. this past weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaAowZGijxE

ETA:

2nd through 9th at Glacier Falls & known music:

Eric Sjoberg 197.59 - debut of his "Black & Gold" SP; kept last season's Interstellar FS (both choreo. by Misha Ge); landed 7 triples through 3Lz in his FS with the opening 3S likely a placeholder for a quad Salchow he's been practicing

Nathan Chapple 194.07 - SP to "Unholy War" by Jacob Banks; landed 5 triples in his FS to win the bronze! Rohene Ward has been working with him - his post/video from May 2022: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdgUUuHJ-lo/

Samuel Mindra 186.33 - his FS starts with a classical piano piece, then the Love Story theme (sung by Andy Williams?)
Mitchell Friess 183.32 - kept his "Unchained Melody" SP & his new FS is to Billy Joel's "Vienna" & "Piano Man" (choreo. by Alex Chang)
Matthew Nielsen 178.22 - Tango SP; FS to Modigliani OST (artist themed choreo. by Misha Ge)
Joseph Klein 174.68 - "I Hear a Symphony" by Cody Fry (SP); Mask of Zorro (FS)
Kai Kovar 171.71 - ISU bio is updated with his program music for the JGP: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00110117.htm
Max Lake 171.43 - landed 4T+2T in his 3rd place SP to "Nature Boy" by Nat King Cole; his FS music is Warsaw Concerto (coached by Jonathan Cassar)

Last edited:

Sylvia

Philadelphia Summer International podium pic (Liam Kapeikis won the gold with 209.56; Dinh Tran silver with 198.65), tweeted from the IceWorks rink lobby yesterday: https://twitter.com/sk8maven/status/1556286500194717697
Samuel Mindra finished 4th (183.38), Goku Endo 6th, Paul Yeung 7th.

Robert Yampolsky won the Junior gold (195.09).
Antonio Monaco finished 5th, Nhat-Viet Nguyen 6th, and Lake Liao 8th.

Cranberry Cup International entries were published today and posted in the competition thread in Kiss & Cry. For those without access, I've tweeted event info & links: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1556764815569436676

* = international debut
Senior:
Tomoki Hiwatashi
*Joseph Klein
*Matthew Nielsen
Eric Sjoberg
*Maxim Zharkov

Junior:
Will Annis
*Jonathan Hildebrandt
Jacob Sanchez
Taira Shinohara
*Beck Strommer

Last edited:

Carolla5501

A full House and US figure skating are probably not compatible statements. He did skate in front of a crowd at US nationals last year so I don’t think an audience is the only thing driving him.

Sylvia

Cranberry Cup International entries were published today and posted in the competition thread in Kiss & Cry. For those without access, I've tweeted event info & links: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1556764815569436676

* = international debut
Junior:
Will Annis
*Jonathan Hildebrandt
Jacob Sanchez
Taira Shinohara
*Beck Strommer
@AngieNikodinovLove asked what happened to Will Annis who is listed as WD from the Cranberry Cup - unofficial hearsay info is that he's not quite ready to compete this week but hopefully will be assigned to a JGP soon.

ETA from the Cranberry thread:
[U.S.] Competitors here with 2023 Junior Worlds TES minimums (bolded are the skaters who got the SP minimum on their first try today):

Junior Men 25 / 44 - ... Sanchez (already has both from last year's JGP), Strommer, ... Hildebrandt ...
(Shinohara didn't make the SP min. today but got both mins. in Feb. 2022)
Jacob Sanchez's ISU bio is updated with his new SP music (Singin' In The Rain by Matthew Morrison / Rain Dance by Whilk & Misky, choreo. by Larisa Selezneva): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111291.htm
He's in 2nd place (64.43) after the SP with Strommer in 3rd (60.02), who skated to "Hip Hip Chin Chin," choreo. by Drew Meekins.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
@AngieNikodinovLove asked what happened to Will Annis who is listed as WD from the Cranberry Cup - unofficial hearsay info is that he's not quite ready to compete this week but hopefully will be assigned to a JGP soon.

Thank you for the reply. Yes Will’s jumps are crazy good and can be out of control when he’s in the air so if he’s not ready I am glad that he’s withdrawn.

JGP again? I swear he looks like he’s 20

Can’t wait for Amber and the rest of the ladies/women. The only way to watch is to pay $14 a day at their website?

Last edited:

AYS

🌻
Jason Brown just tweeted:
Time to choreograph a new long program! 新しいロングプログラムの振り付けをする必要があります. 🥰 #JapanOpen2022.

I don't know if this means anything about competing later in the year.

https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/1558078043037523968
I think this is in reference to his announced participation in the Japan Open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information