Grand Prix 2023-24 Season Potential Assignments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
OK, Karen, Iโ€™ve gone through all of these posts and even went back to reread everything in red, when are the assignments being announced? June like usual? And when do they determine if the Russian federation is participating?
The ISU Council will decide either in June or October whether or not to lift the ban. If they aren't reinstated in June then there won't be any Russians on the GP since the Host selection committee usually meets in late June and we get the assignments at the beginning of July.

Check this thread on how you can help motivate them to maintain the ban - https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...and-officials-from-russia-and-belarus.109499/

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications ๐Ÿ˜
The ISU Council will decide either in June or October whether or not to lift the ban. If they aren't reinstated in June then there won't be any Russians on the GP since the Host selection committee usually meets in late June and we get the assignments at the beginning of July.

Check this thread on how you can help motivate them to maintain the ban - https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...and-officials-from-russia-and-belarus.109499/

OK, and it is safe to determine that no matter what there will be no cup of Russia? The locations were already determined.

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating:

Oct 20 - Oct 22, 2023 TBA /USA (eta) - refer to this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-espoo-and-beijing.110588/page-2#post-6426051
Oct 27 - Oct 29, 2023 Vancouver, BC /CAN
Nov 03 - Nov 05, 2023 Angers /FRA
Nov 10 - Nov 12, 2023 Chongqing /CHN
Nov 17 - Nov 19, 2023 Espoo /FIN
Nov 24 - Nov 26, 2023 Osaka /JPN

ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final:
Dec 07 - Dec 10, 2023 Beijing /CHN

Last edited:

SidelineSkater

Playing my version of 'fantasy GP assignments' - as Karen indicated in her very helpful initial post here - it looks like Japanese men and women will be loaded at each GP.

Randomly assigning 3 to each goes something like this...

SA - Sato, Tsuboi, Kataise
SC - Miura, Shimada, Tsuboi
FRA - Uno, Yamamoto, Sato
CHN - Tomono, Kagiyama, Miura
FIN - Tomono, Yamamoto, Shimada
NHK - Uno, Kagiyama, Yoshioka

I arbitrarily gave Tsuboi and Shimada a 2nd, although not guaranteed 2. In this scenario, Miyake does not receive one, so he could take one of the above's 2nd spot.

SA - Sakamoto, Matsuike, Sumiyoshi
SA - Mihara, Higuchi, Kihara
FRA - Watanabe, Yoshida, Sumiyoshi
CHN - Mihara, Watanabe, Kawabe
FIN - Kawabe, Chiba, (Matsuike/Higuchi/Kihara)
NHK - Sakamoto, Yoshida, Chiba

After the JPN ladies guaranteed 2 spots, there's only one left for Matusuike, Higuchi or Kihara).

For the overall men's, it looks like once you remove all the guaranteed spots and remaining host spots, there are 7-8 spots left.

For the overall women's, it looks like once you remove all the guaranteed spots and remaining host spots, there are 5-6 spots left.

patinage

LOL - Not gonna lie, if I had an inside track with YGA, I'd be telling them to at least consider entering some of their teams, especially the Mrazeks, at Hollins Trophy, even if it is in mid-June. The Mrazeks don't have any senior int'l WS points and only need 28 to surpass SinKats. KoKo don't have WS points from a 2nd sr int'l and they only need 162 points to move ahead of SinKats.

Seriously, someone needs to put a bug in the ears of both YGA and IAM - send the Mrazeks, Simova/Aksenov, Harris/Chan and KoKo to compete, pretty please?
The new ISU Communication No. 2350 establishes a junior World Standing and World Ranking list starting next season, and assigns points for junior International Competitions.

I assume that (new) points for junior ICs from 22-23 and 21-22 seasons will be added to the WS table. Which would boost, for example, the Mrazeks up over SinKats:

SinKats
2023-24 WS points = 1316 (1880 x 70%)
Mrazeks
2023-24 WS points = 1289 + 200 (junior IC points for 22-23) + 140 (junior IC points for 21-22) = 1629

Here's the text from the communication (leaving out the stuff about factoring, which doesn't change):

1.2.1. Based on results of the preceding two seasons and the current season

1.2.3. There will be an ISU World Standings (overall standings Senior and Junior combined) and an independent ISU World Standings for Juniors

1.2.4. Within the preceding two seasons and the current season the following events will be considered for the ISU World Standings order:

a) ISU World Standings (overall standings Senior and Junior combined)

i. ISU Championships and Olympic Winter Games: The best result by points per season; the best two results by points over a period not longer than two completed seasons plus the current season.

ii. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and Final: The two best results by points per season; the best four results by points over a period not longer than two completed seasons plus the current season.

iii. ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating and Final: The two best results by points per season; the best four results by points over a period not longer than 2 completed seasons plus the current season.

iv. International Competitions Senior (including ISU Challenger Series Competitions) and Junior: The two best results by points per season; the best four results by points over a period not longer than 2 completed seasons plus the current season.

Junior International Competitions will receive the following points:

1st - 100
2nd - 90
3rd - 81
4th - 73
5th - 66

(I hope I am understanding this correctly; if not, please let me know.)

Samurina

I think this rule will only apply starting next season, so SinKats will still be in top 24, but i doubt they will continue

Karen-W

@patinage - based on the wording of the ISU Communication regarding the addition of Jr international points, I do not expect points to be added retroactively. That would be grossly unfair to junior skaters who did not have any additional international competition opportunities apart from JGPs because their feds weren't sending them to anything but the JGPs.

Karen-W

Even if they were to continue and the ISU allows Russians back in line with the IOCโ€™s recommended guidelines, their presence at a pro-war rally should certainly make them ineligible.
One would hope, but who knows?

patinage

@patinage - based on the wording of the ISU Communication regarding the addition of Jr international points, I do not expect points to be added retroactively. That would be grossly unfair to junior skaters who did not have any additional international competition opportunities apart from JGPs because their feds weren't sending them to anything but the JGPs.
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation

Karen-W

Just saw that the entries/results page for Mexico Cup are now up - no WS points to be achieved in either senior men or senior women - http://www.femepashidi.com.mx/sistema/resultados/, so right now, we're just waiting for the Hollins Trophy entries to see if there will be any possible points up for grabs at the very last event of the season. :cool:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Ricoโ€ฆWith Love! Not LatinX!
The USFS rarely sends senior or junior skaters to any B internationals this late in the season. Most of the skaters on the ISP are already working on their programs for next season.
Ohโ€ฆmy jr fave, Kirk Haugeto was sent to last yearโ€™s Egna spring trophy, medaling with silver!

Evgeniafan

sus2850

(And again wrong thread sorry, there seems to be something wrong with my multitasking)

Karen-W

Cross-posting this here!

Looks like Mimi Hase is back in business!

Nikita Volodin has been release!

I believe that this new partnership is eligible for 2 GP assignments due to Hase/Seegert's 6th place finish at 2022 Worlds, but I'm not positive. The GP document only addresses "Comeback Couples" who placed 1st-6th at Worlds in the last 10 years, and "Return Split Couples" who finished 7th-12th at the most recent Worlds, but I can't imagine that Hase/Volodin wouldn't be placed in the "Return Split Couple" category with her score of 189.61 from Montpellier putting them 10th on the SB list.

Karen-W

As our dear friend @AngieNikodinovLove would say...refresh my drink...

When is the meeting scheduled for the Grand Prix selection to take place?
It's usually after the ISU Council's June meeting, IIRC, so probably not for a couple weeks - and we probably won't get the initial assignments until July 1st.

Crossing my fingers that Tim Dieck has his release by then.

SidelineSkater

It's usually after the ISU Council's June meeting, IIRC, so probably not for a couple weeks - and we probably won't get the initial assignments until July 1st.

Crossing my fingers that Tim Dieck has his release by then.

Ah. I found it hiding in plain sight on an ISU meeting notes page.

June 9-11 in Budapest is the next ISU Council Meeting.

Karen-W

In other Georgian skating news...

From the post above by Georgian Figure Skating Federation:

Kvitelashvili has retired.

Metelkina and Berulava have paired up.

And that post confirms D/S' switch once again. It also mentions that Diana is a Georgian citizen.

So, cross Morisi off any pre-season GP projection lists. Metelkina/Berulava are in the same weird limbo category as Hase/Volodin - he was 4th at 2022 Worlds, so he probably qualifies for at least one GP assignment in the "Return Split Couple" category, but it's uncertain since that clause only applies to couples who finished 7th-10th at the previous two Worlds. But, since this is pairs we are talking about, I'd be really surprised if they aren't given an assignment on the initial list.

DavSmo are NOT eligible for any GP assignments.

Karen-W

Why aren't they eligible?
They have never competed at Worlds and their Beijing finish wasn't high enough to make them eligible for an initial assignment as a Return Couple (1st-6th during the last 10 years at Worlds or the Olympics, 7th-10th at the two most recent Worlds).

Last edited:

Vagabond

They have never competed at Worlds and their Beijing finish wasn'thigh enough to maoe them eligible for an initial assignment as a Return Couple (1st-6th during the last 10 years at Worlds or the Olympics, 7th-10th at the two most recent Worlds).
And, having sat out last season, they aren't in the Top 75 of the Season's Best List.

Karen-W

And, having sat out last season, they aren't in the Top 75 of the Season's Best List.
Right, and they dropped well out of the WS Top 24 by Euros.

Now, they could become eligible for a GP if they can win an early Challenger.

Karen-W

So, we can safely cross off any Russian skaters from the GP initial assignments predictions lists. At best, if the ban is lifted in October, we might see them added to the Alternates List, but that isn't a guarantee.
Here are some news statement from ISU homepage on it:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information