Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janef

The biggest problem in all of pairs is that the Free Program time is shorter. It eliminated one element but more importantly eliminated character development time. Gauthier referred to this in an interview mid season about all teams.

When teams don't have that one huge element as in "wait for their twist" (Russians) or "big throw" (Chinese) or "killer lift" (Moscovitch) they have to develop a two skating as one pair profile and then unison is a feature and choreography is essential. When I say that MTM2 don't have an identity, that is indeed part of it. But then they haven't had an iconic program either. Everything is safe. Honestly I'd say for MTM2 to go for a warhorse. Just beat the judges over the head with it.
Yes a team must have at least one “wow” factor element or they don’t move too much

Janef

Carol Lane and co. are under utilized IMHO. I think they have done a great job in helping find an identity for G/P who are not the traditional classic dance couple. I still remember the great Dracula program they did for Paige and Rudi.
That’s a good point. She seems to be under utilized. She could add a really cool idea to a pairs program.

Mad for Skating

Rock2

I don't really see MT/M as a romantic, high school sweethearts-still together type team. They are too scrappy and kind of contemporary in style for that, IMO. Also, I can see why they never really took that approach since Seguin/Bilodeau were packaged more as a kind of old-school romantic team in most of their LPs, at least, and they were direct competitors. I don't really see them as an indie music type team, either. I would personally package them with more speed and grit, something like some of Brasseur/Eisler's early choreography back in the day, but more contemporary.

I think one of their programs definitely seems some sort of tension/edge. Along the lines of Sweet Dreams but can explore many directions.

Speed is important no matter what the packaging.

Regardless of their true personalities, at their core is a very wholesome persona, which is where my guidance was coming from. And a lot of that is driven by him. She has more fire and feistiness but it still has its limits. She could never be Tessa -- there is something just too 'sweet' about her. Not a criticsm -- just is. It's an asset. Mike is apparently just a super. nice. guy. in real life. Pushing him too hard in any direction away from that just won't be authentic and therefore convincing.

Incidentally my music recommendation was purposely not the warm/slow indie stuff that we've seen from S/B, T/M this year and S/M in their last few years. I made a point of saying it's something of more spirit which is reflective of their unique identity.

So the scrappiness can definitely come out in one program. But the direction that will most connect them to audiences IMHO is something that fuses their immensely-likeable personalities.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... you never know who is reading this and who you are hurting.

That would probably be why many athletes don't waste their time reading or frequenting skating forums. If they do, perhaps it's a quick browse in-and-out, with a guffaw or two or three. ;) And maybe more than several :drama: :rolleyes: :duh: :eek: :scream:

Social media in general can be brutal, and full of not-so-nice bickering and streams-of-conscious. Much respect to all the polite, careful posters who check their emotions. Albeit that everything said here is not horrible. There are some thoughtful, and/or entertaining and informative posts too.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Honestly I'd say for MTM2 to go for a warhorse.

Which warhorse do you have in mind for M-T/M? :COP:

I like the jazzy look on them (sweet dreams) type style or Latin style. That might
Help them stand out

Right, maybe some Latin for a sp, since I don't think they've tried that genre yet. And then maybe @chewy's warhorse suggestion. ;)

Is this the 'sweet dreams' you were referencing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMFqkcPYcg
Oh yes, I see it is. I forgot they'd skated to a jazzy rendition of this song. I do think it worked pretty well for them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0MkWMVp5Qs (a rare jump error by Kirsten)

Charlie and Lubov will be featured on the show Podium, next Saturday at 11 am, on Radio-Canada:

https://twitter.com/RC_Sports/status/1110944657024974850

Ah, does Luba speak French?

She looks like she’s ready to kick his butt 😂

:lol:
It's not even about the boxing gloves and hockey gear. Luba just looks so fit, fine, healthy and tanned! She looks about ready to :kickass:

Last edited:

hlp728

When I see Kirsten and Michael, I get this Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal/Tom Hanks in When Harry Meets Sally, Joe Versus the Volcano, and You’ve Got Mail vibe, so I could see them doing a program to one of the film scores/soundtracks. They could try something different like from “True Romance” soundtrack/score as Alabama and Clarence or the Can’t Buy Me Love movie score. They could pull off the nerdy guy type gets the girl trope like in those movies and “Little Shop of Horrors”. A definitive theme and characters would work for them too like a magician and his assistant with different “magic” songs like Electric Light Orchestra ‘s Magic, the Police’s “Everything She Does is Magic, Dwight Twiley’s “Looking for the Magic,” Olivia Newton John’s “Magic,” etc.

Their look has a 1950’s/1960s preppy-wholesome vibe where I could see them have a SP to something like The Beach Boys “Don’t Worry Baby” or The Righteous Brothers “You’ve Lost that Lovin’ Feeling.” I could see them also doing a 70’s soft rock song like “Landslide” or “Song Bird” from Fleetwood Mac, “ “Hello, It’s Me” or “Can We Still Be Friends” from Todd Rundgren, Carole King’s “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, or Van Morrison’s “Crazy Love” or “Moondance,” etc.

Pop jazz wise, I could see them do something like Kay Edmonton’s “Lucky” or Diana Krall’s version of “Case of You.”

They could try some pop-rock-folk like Ray LaMontagne “Fovever My Friend.”

Seerek

Do Evelyn/Trennt have an extra gear in them? It looks like it might take a big step to compete with say, Cain/Leduc. Lifts/Twist might always hold them back (imo).

blue_idealist

When I see Kirsten and Michael, I get this Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal/Tom Hanks in When Harry Meets Sally, Joe Versus the Volcano, and You’ve Got Mail vibe, so I could see them doing a program to one of the film scores/soundtracks. They could try something different like from “True Romance” soundtrack/score as Alabama and Clarence or the Can’t Buy Me Love movie score. They could pull off the nerdy guy type gets the girl trope like in those movies and “Little Shop of Horrors”. A definitive theme and characters would work for them too like a magician and his assistant with different “magic” songs like Electric Light Orchestra ‘s Magic, the Police’s “Everything She Does is Magic, Dwight Twiley’s “Looking for the Magic,” Olivia Newton John’s “Magic,” etc.

Their look has a 1950’s/1960s preppy-wholesome vibe where I could see them have a SP to something like The Beach Boys “Don’t Worry Baby” or The Righteous Brothers “You’ve Lost that Lovin’ Feeling.” I could see them also doing a 70’s soft rock song like “Landslide” or “Song Bird” from Fleetwood Mac, “ “Hello, It’s Me” or “Can We Still Be Friends” from Todd Rundgren, Carole King’s “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, or Van Morrison’s “Crazy Love” or “Moondance,” etc.

Pop jazz wise, I could see them do something like Kay Edmonton’s “Lucky” or Diana Krall’s version of “Case of You.”

They could try some pop-rock-folk like Ray LaMontagne “Fovever My Friend.”

Great idea. I'd love to see them do even an SP to "Everything She Does is Magic" by The Police.

quartz

scratching at the light
I think @hlp728 has got it. Kirsten and Michael need peppy, upbeat, fun, even quirky programs. Dramatic, somber, or classical do not suit them. I understand how skaters want to try new things, and go outside the box, but music and choreography needs to be relatable and work with the presentation skills and personalities of the skaters. How many times have we despaired over Tarasova and Morozov trying to do pop/rock music? :lol:
I also wonder if something similar to Alaine Chartrand's "Pina" short program from a few seasons ago might be a good fit? Or like the "Micmacs" program that Kirsten did with Dylan?

Now that it is definite that Charlie and Luba are a team and I have to let go of my love for what could have been with him and Julianne, I am quite curious to see this new pairing. Could I ask for a different hair style for Luba tho? It needs to be either short short, or grow it out longer? I hope she keeps the same costume designer, because her dresses were almost always great on her.

RoseRed

I think @hlp728 has got it. Kirsten and Michael need peppy, upbeat, fun, even quirky programs. Dramatic, somber, or classical do not suit them. I understand how skaters want to try new things, and go outside the box, but music and choreography needs to be relatable and work with the presentation skills and personalities of the skaters. How many times have we despaired over Tarasova and Morozov trying to do pop/rock music? :lol:
I also wonder if something similar to Alaine Chartrand's "Pina" short program from a few seasons ago might be a good fit? Or like the "Micmacs" program that Kirsten did with Dylan?

Now that it is definite that Charlie and Luba are a team and I have to let go of my love for what could have been with him and Julianne, I am quite curious to see this new pairing. Could I ask for a different hair style for Luba tho? It needs to be either short short, or grow it out longer? I hope she keeps the same costume designer, because her dresses were almost always great on her.
Un Ange Passe suited them, and was a lovely FS for them when skated well.

chewy

Which warhorse do you have in mind for M-T/M? :COP:

This is enjoyable off season armchair speculating of course.

Love Story /s

Kirsten can skate to anything, she is a pro. I went back and looked at Michaels programs with Purdy. They did a good job with Casablanca, he was locked in. And The Artist. Maybe he's a tux sort of guy.

mag

I agree that having a ripped woman can be very helpful, but many pairs work fine with dainty girls as well. Natalia Zabiiako and Xiaoyu Yu are very fragile-looking but they make it work.

Looking “ripped” is related to genetics and the method used to train in the gym. It not related to strength or control. My dd changed gyms for a while and went with a trainer who focused more on the “looking strong.” For the first time ever she has a six pack and ripped legs. Now some people have a more naturally defined muscle look and some don’t. My dd doesn’t- she is more a Mirai look. Slim but has to work hard for definition. Anyway, what she found was that she lost some rotational control and jump height. She looked better, looked fitter, looked stronger, but she wasn’t.

As to KMT, I have said it before, she looks heavy to lift. Not that she is heavy, just that she doesn’t appear to lift herself and once up, she doesn’t lock her core so she is unstable in the lifts.

skategal

Bunny mama
I can see see MTM2 doing big band like minor swing the version from Chocolat for instance. 50's and 60's pop would be a good fit as well.

I've had similar thoughts. I was thinking of "I've had the time of my life" from the Dirty Dancing Soundtrack for an SP could be fun.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think they would be able to do character programs. I loved the Siboney above by Ruben Gonzalez. Not sure if it would work for KMT2 but it is great.

Yes, I like that Siboney jazz piano too! It's ripe for some other pairs or skaters in other disciplines to try out. It's a cool sound, but I agree not necessarily suited for M-T/M. I still think that skating in Canada at Worlds next season, it would be fun for M-T/M to try for something with Canadian flavor such as the second piano selection I linked earlier by Canadian pianist, Andre Mathieu.

Your suggestion for trying something character-driven is also an interesting idea. That would surely be challenging, but it might also push Kirsten & Michael to grow. Now's the time for experimenting to create a unique style ahead of Beijing 2022. Here's an old classic, probably more suited to exhibition than to competition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oKPYe53h78

One of my fave old movies is Vincent Minnelli's The Clock with Judy Garland and Robert Walker. It has perfect harmony in how it's constructed, directed, acted. Minnelli was known for directing musicals, and even though this film is not a musical at all, it has the flow and vibe of a musical. Why I mention it is because of the lead characters, which I think are perfect for perky Kirsten and lanky, awkward yet handsome and endearing Michael. Here's a trailer, but I can't find the full movie soundtrack, which features orchestral music made for the film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0XGWaG-UQ The Clock trailer

But perhaps this is the better music to use in creating those 1940s war era characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6p5XKFl_IY Boogie woogie bugle boy of Company B - Bette Midler version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8of3uhG1tCI Andrews sisters' version
Ryan Bradley skated to an instrumental version of Company B for his 2011 U.S. Nats sp

I really like @hlp728's ideas too. Casablanca occurred to me too. I'd forgotten that Michael had skated to it with his former partner, Purdy. But in general, that kind of noir vibe could be something to explore if they found the right music theme and cut.
Here are some character-driven noir and suspense thriller possibilities:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaAiKkmjp3c Slaughter on 10th Avenue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2qZzRuIQuk North by Northwest theme Bernard Herrmann
Music and genre similar to Casablanca:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In-UUA0BDM0 Now Voyager soundtrack

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqlUt0Ff70Q&list=PLNyrUf5_Oy3NxgkUx4TCfnHIQOE_N3lnz latest A Star Is Born soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFUsTZ0S1bY&list=PLkLimRXN6NKzWXw6Fu8ZUHjayaE0N07i0
Guys & Dolls soundtrack
And,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5qNnmaTDXM Antonio Banderas Tango scene in Take the Lead

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Now, ideas for Luba and Charlie. For something character driven, I was remembering this cool classic: The Sorcerer's Apprentice, choreo by Peter Oppegard, for Stiegler/Zimmerman, 1997

I agree that Luba needs to do something more fresh and polished with her hair. Maybe she should get hair extensions for more fullness, and then get an assymetrical cut similar to Wenjing Sui's (albeit that Sui really needs a touch-up trim as her hair was too long and flopping all over her face at Worlds. And it was not flopping in the cool, hip way it did when she first had the cut styled. Sui can get away with anything, but unless she's growing her hair out for some reason, she needs a trim).

mag

Now, ideas for Luba and Charlie. For something character driven, I was remembering this cool classic: The Sorcerer's Apprentice, choreo by Peter Oppegard, for Stiegler/Zimmerman, 1997

I agree that Luba needs to do something more fresh and polished with her hair. Maybe she should get hair extensions for more fullness, and then get an assymetrical cut similar to Wenjing Sui's (albeit that Sui really needs a touch-up trim as her hair was too long and flopping all over her face at Worlds. And it was not flopping in the cool, hip way it did when she first had the cut styled. Sui can get away with anything, but unless she's growing her hair out for some reason, she needs a trim).

I think Charlie needs a new look. A little waxing of the eye brows, maybe a few highlights in his hair to freshen him up ...

Lord! Are we really suggesting that an elite athlete needs to get hair extensions?

dramagrrl

Charlie needs to ditch the man-bun, pronto.

Also, the way he has been milking the media to try to get attention since the breakup with Julianne makes me roll my eyes. :rolleyes: Why do we need fancy videos, a media marketing day, multiple newspaper and radio interviews, etc. when nothing has happened yet? (And even before he had found a new partner, he was clearly trying to keep his name in the "spotlight", so to speak, which was even more eye-roll-worthy because there was literally no news at that point, or at least nothing he was willing to share with the press.) It would make a lot more sense to just buckle down and train, and let the skating get the attention when there's actually something to show.

Colonel Green

Charlie needs to ditch the man-bun, pronto.

Also, the way he has been milking the media to try to get attention since the breakup with Julianne makes me roll my eyes. :rolleyes: Why do we need fancy videos, a media marketing day, multiple newspaper and radio interviews, etc. when nothing has happened yet? (And even before he had found a new partner, he was clearly trying to keep his name in the "spotlight", so to speak, which was even more eye-roll-worthy because there was literally no news at that point, or at least nothing he was willing to share with the press.) It would make a lot more sense to just buckle down and train, and let the skating get the attention when there's actually something to show.
I’d say it makes complete sense for him to want to build anticipation/interest in his future plans, since he evidently has big ambitions.

Regarding the discussion about both of their styling, I think first they have to figure out what sort of image they’re going for as a team and tailor such choices to that.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think Charlie needs a new look. A little waxing of the eye brows, maybe a few highlights in his hair to freshen him up ...

Lord! Are we really suggesting that an elite athlete needs to get hair extensions?

Tee hee. :p We all know that overall 'packaging' adds to the finished product in figure skating. It can make an impact difference re setting oneself and one's team apart. I remind you of how MK being great but unrewarded at 1995 Worlds precipitated a transformational re-packaging during the 1995-1996 season, which is iconic and legendary and changed the sport in many ways, not just her career. MK's skills and aesthetics were already undergoing amazing transformation. So the visual re-packaging made the impact difference combined with her already stellar talents! Charlie def needs to also do something to freshen up and polish his look, with some edge that can give him a weightier presence on the ice, and I'm not talking about bulk. I'm talking about getting rid of the dorky, nerdy quality.

For Luba, I ain't talking about extensions for length, but for more fullness, pizzazz & je ne sais quoi! Or else just cut it altogether in a cute pixie doo, or somethin! On TSL's ladies Worlds wrap-up, Jenny Kirk noted some of those ladies who were wearing hairpieces, eh. So adding here and there for flair happens all the time, even if not so obviously. It's about enhancing, editing, curating and branding, no? But whatever you do, it should help bring out who you already are, not try to make you into something you are not, e.g., like T/M sometimes attempt; like the boring Z/E have attempted this season to camouflage their lack of interesting personality; and like Bradie's handlers overdid it with her costuming and makeup this season. There's an interesting Bradie in there though, that needs to be released! Duhamel's groovin' haircut at 2016 Worlds; Sui's boss stylin' cut at 2017 Worlds; and Vané's wowza shizzam cut circa 2017-18 thru 2018-19 seasons are the piece de resistance! Added to V's fitness, her connection to sweet Momo Ciprés, and those slammin' bodysuits, backed up by talent & consistency. Just sayin' :encore: :COP:

To get the point across: James/Cipres looked so boss at Worlds 2016 in the sp, but were still not getting the scores or the rep yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlktjmVSz9o
Then V&M made the move to Florida & JZimmerman/ Fontana/ Barrett/ Kerr, and they came out re-packaged thematically, emotionally, musically, and with improved flow, unison and skating skills at Euros 2017, where they looked like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2eELDzoSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O72bm7Dq8b8 TAT commentating; it was very exciting, and V&M should have placed better than 3rd, having been 2nd in the sp :)
Of course, the rest is figure skating history after the excitement of that transcendent and competitive Euros event by the top teams. Everyone began trying to package some of J/C's moves and magic. And J/C continued to push the envelope...

And of course, as always, teams admired and tried to capture by osmosis some of Aliona's fierce will and creativity. S/H have always been amazing with the tricks, but Shen/Zhao and Lori have helped them with their aesthetics. So all that, combined with Sui's lightness of being, her Aliona-like determination, and the unique bond with Han, makes them unbeatable when they are in the zone. :D

So good luck to Luba/ Charlie and Kirsten/ Michael moving forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information