Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moustaffask8r

Ha ha now there is a fantasy matchup If kmt and mm are going to go another 4 years they need to improve the lifts and twist. I kinda wish kmt would consider a new partner but I doubt that will happen. Mm seems like a good person I wonder how much they train compared to the top top teams. Need also find a way to battle the nerves.
Partnership is not only about putting two good skaters together... there is a lot to take into consideration. Maybe she is staying with Marinaro because he's a hard working, pleasant guy who treats her with respect. Partnership takes time, that is maybe why she talks about a 8 year plan...

WanderlustTO

Not unless the have a strong team leading the way. Well kmt is but mm gets really too nervous in the pressure situations is how I see it
KMT is really the star/strength of the pair. You could come up with hypothetical combos where she'd end up with a stronger partner...but you get into citizenship issues, delays, the "grass isn't necessarily greener" problem.

I think she's best sticking with MM at this point.

Rafter

I thought they had a ton of speed too.
So hard for the taller pair girls to find tall guys. I think we will have a few teams with limited height difference because it’s so hard to find a tall partner.

Seems like our tall guys are in singles. Like Nadeau and Sadovsky.

Rafter

Or BB if they stay the course. It seems like they did not split after all like this thread had said they had.

Apparently they split for a brief period of time but are now back together. Hope Justine is working on her 3 salchow.

Skate Talker

Nadeau might have the guns for it but I don't see him as a team sort of skater. Sadovsky doesn't look to me to have the upper body strength needed.

Skate Talker

Apparently they split for a brief period of time but are now back together. Hope Justine is working on her 3 salchow.
Hopefully not shades of Calla Urbanski and Rocky Marvel! I seem to recall at one point watching him throw her like he really meant it. I feared for her - think it was at 1991 Worlds. By the time they competed as pros, they seemed to be working together a lot better.

Rafter

Ha ha now there is a fantasy matchup If kmt and mm are going to go another 4 years they need to improve the lifts and twist. I kinda wish kmt would consider a new partner but I doubt that will happen. Mm seems like a good person I wonder how much they train compared to the top top teams. Need also find a way to battle the nerves.

I think it’s too late for KMT to consider another partner. She broke up with Dylan because of his age and she wanted 8 more years (something Dylan could not have done). Marinaro was the best option for her at the time. There’s only three years to the next Olympics so she’s stuck with MM.

The problem with Marinaro to me is a couple things. I don’t think he’s a natural athlete. He doesn’t get down into his knees enough (which is the total opposite of KMT who has great knee bend and is very relaxed looking). He just has a stiffer look. I’d like to him spend hours and hours with an ice dance coach just working on stroking and basic skating. The throws and lifts are another problem. I’m not convinced he throws her the same every time. The consistency of the man on the throws is hugely important. I’m not sure he’s got it. And then there’s the body positioning in the lifts which is awkward looking.

Last edited:

Rafter

Nope, I don't think he'd be released, and I know KMT wants an 8 year plan... but I just odn't see how she's going to accomplish her goals with someone who doesn't seem to be at her level... He seems like a great guy and they seem to get along well etc... but I just don't know if he has what it takes to get to the next echelon. He's no Dylan or Eric or Charlie for that matter....

KMT and Charlie would have been an interesting match.

One more thing re KMT and MM. Did I hear Gauthier tell them in the K&C after the LP that their 3twist was good? Ummm NO. It was the weakest twist of the top 10. Definitely not a strong element for them. Maybe MM needs to bulk up a bit? He’s certainly no tank like Morozov, Cipres etc. Although maybe they’re worried he’ll lose his jumps if he bulks up.

Last edited:

Rafter

Two pairs spots is where we should be.
I think MT/M suffered from what J/C suffered from in this event -- pressure of knowing they have opportunity for a spot on the podium. Did them in.

For MT/M maybe the setback juices them to find more TES (and slightly better programs). They need 2 pts more out of their twist and a 3FTh would be nice, thank you. Hard to break 140 training the same elements.

Someone said W/M had 3S problems in practice? I think their struggle this year has been to find another jumping pass to go with the 3T combo. They have done 2A in the past and started the year trying the 3L. The core issue is that she doesn't have a reliable second triple. I don't think she's landed the 3S in competition yet as far as I know. Need to fix that over the summer. And as they know, the twist is a huge problem. I think they want to add back the flip throw as well. Big steps needed for them next year to compete with I/B and what seems to be B/B back from the dead.

Yes KMT and MM need better programs soon. I’m tired of the Julie Marcotte choreo. Their LP this year especially was uninspired.

I’m surprised KMT hasn’t tried going for a harder throw. I would have thought she would have but maybe they tried in practice and it wasn’t working.

Don’t seem them ever getting a couple more points for that twist.

nimi

The problem with Marinaro to me is a couple things. I don’t think he’s a natural athlete. He doesn’t get down into his knees enough (which is the total opposite of KMT who has great knee bend and is very relaxed looking). He just has a stiffer look. I’d like to him spend hours and hours with an ice dance coach just working on stroking and basic skating.
Have you watched MM closely on practice ice? Does he have the same issue there, too, or is it more of a competition thing? I haven't really paid attention to their practices so I don't really have an opinion, but in Meagan Duhamel's view (who talked about KMT/MM and their performance here: https://youtu.be/n1A2q0UXBUQ?t=2689) it's because he tends to get too excited and stoked about competing. So, ice dance bootcamp sure wouldn't hurt his SS, but would it really solve the issue of him not getting down into his knees enough while competing if the main issue is him having difficulties managing his excess energy and adrenaline? I mean, actual ice dancers can get hit by the high-in-their-knees-and-shoulders syndrome in competitions, too...

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Nadeau might have the guns for it but I don't see him as a team sort of skater. Sadovsky doesn't look to me to have the upper body strength needed.
I've read here and have heard commentators say many times that a lot of upper body muscle for singles men huts their jumps. I'd think that were Sadovsky to consider Pairs, he would start building up his upper body, because he'd no longer be attempting 3A's or quads.

Mad for Skating

Did I hear Gauthier tell them in the K&C after the LP that their 3twist was good? Ummm NO. It was the weakest twist of the top 10.

I would definitely say their twist is the biggest stumbling block for them. When you have Tarasova/Morozov blowing the roof off with their twist and getting +5’s, you have no chance if your twist is subpar. TBH, I’m surprised their twist still usually gets positive GOE; it’s aesthetically jarring to me. Other than that they are awesome.

For me, KMT has the X factor. I was really hoping for a better Worlds for them. She is fast becoming added to my list of - "if only - what could have been" list.

Same here! She has that “pair girl spark” - that diva power that draws you in. I enjoy watching her.

Rock2

Lower body strength is more important although upper body strength can certainly help press lifts up and lock them in if the technique between the couple isn't ideal.

Eric Radford has a lean and sinewy upper body and his lifts with Meagan were quite stable. He is an excellent lifter but it goes to show you what a super-fit lady can do for lift and twist quality ...ahem...Kirsten...ahem....

Janef

Lower body strength is more important although upper body strength can certainly help press lifts up and lock them in if the technique between the couple isn't ideal.

Eric Radford has a lean and sinewy upper body and his lifts with Meagan were quite stable. He is an excellent lifter but it goes to show you what a super-fit lady can do for lift and twist quality ...ahem...Kirsten...ahem....
Yes that is true. Some of the stronger partners are lifting themselves up.

Janef

For me, KMT has the X factor. I was really hoping for a better Worlds for them. She is fast becoming added to my list of - "if only - what could have been".
Yes me as well It was also disapppointing not to see them at Grand Prix final in Canada. Inconsistent in the big moments

Janef

I've read here and have heard commentators say many times that a lot of upper body muscle for singles men huts their jumps. I'd think that were Sadovsky to consider Pairs, he would start building up his upper body, because he'd no longer be attempting 3A's or quads.
I believe with nadeau skates the opposite direction. Kind of like being left handed. Hard to find a partner

Janef

Have you watched MM closely on practice ice? Does he have the same issue there, too, or is it more of a competition thing? I haven't really paid attention to their practices so I don't really have an opinion, but in Meagan Duhamel's view (who talked about KMT/MM and their performance here: https://youtu.be/n1A2q0UXBUQ?t=2689) it's because he tends to get too excited and stoked about competing. So, ice dance bootcamp sure wouldn't hurt his SS, but would it really solve the issue of him not getting down into his knees enough while competing if the main issue is him having difficulties managing his excess energy and adrenaline? I mean, actual ice dancers can get hit by the high-in-their-knees-and-shoulders syndrome in competitions, too...
Yes I can see that too. I would also add is he needs to add more as a partner in terms of his movement. That would be dance coaching like you mentioned and channel his nerves.

Janef

Yes KMT and MM need better programs soon. I’m tired of the Julie Marcotte choreo. Their LP this year especially was uninspired.

I’m surprised KMT hasn’t tried going for a harder throw. I would have thought she would have but maybe they tried in practice and it wasn’t working.

Don’t seem them ever getting a couple more points for that twist.
Yes agree as well. They need a revamp. The American pairs change up when they get stale. But in Canada....I just don’t know enough about the money challenges and all that goes into it. I heard Megan Duhamel say her husband had to pay his own way to the Olympics as only one coach could be paid for travel expenses.

Colonel Green

Yes agree as well. They need a revamp. The American pairs change up when they get stale. But in Canada....I just don’t know enough about the money challenges and all that goes into it. I heard Megan Duhamel say her husband had to pay his own way to the Olympics as only one coach could be paid for travel expenses.
Them using Julie Marcotte isn't about money. She's a part of the crew of their training facility, who they have a long-term relationship with, and presumably like her work. They could go to Lori or somebody else if they wanted to.

Mad for Skating

I agree that having a ripped woman can be very helpful, but many pairs work fine with dainty girls as well. Natalia Zabiiako and Xiaoyu Yu are very fragile-looking but they make it work. I think Kirsten is doing fine on lifts; Michael just looks a little unsteady with them, and I don’t think it has to do with size. For a while, Tarasova/Morozov struggled with lifts even though she is very fit and he is huge - it was because he had bad footing, which made the lifts look slow and clumsy. I think that’s Michael’s problem - if he doesn’t have his feet under him, he can’t hold her steady.

RoseRed

I agree that having a ripped woman can be very helpful, but many pairs work fine with dainty girls as well. Natalia Zabiiako and Xiaoyu Yu are very fragile-looking but they make it work. I think Kirsten is doing fine on lifts; Michael just looks a little unsteady with them, and I don’t think it has to do with size. For a while, Tarasova/Morozov struggled with lifts even though she is very fit and he is huge - it was because he had bad footing, which made the lifts look slow and clumsy. I think that’s Michael’s problem - if he doesn’t have his feet under him, he can’t hold her steady.
It's not just about the girl being strong though. You need to have really good body control and engage your core properly to hold the positions steadily and help your partner (I'm told). A woman having strong arms doesn't tell you if she is good at that.

I'm no technical expert, but I have seen a lot of people say that that is not a strength of Kirsten's (applies to the twist too). So I don't think it's fair to always make it all about Mike. A couple of times when they've had a lift issue, a pairs commentator has pointed out that she's the one who made a mistake going into it, though the people in competition threads (not on here) mostly assume automatically that it was him.

I'm not arguing here that Mike's good at lifts, to be clear.

Janef

It's not just about the girl being strong though. You need to have really good body control and engage your core properly to hold the positions steadily and help your partner (I'm told). A woman having strong arms doesn't tell you if she is good at that.

I'm no technical expert, but I have seen a lot of people say that that is not a strength of Kirsten's (applies to the twist too). So I don't think it's fair to always make it all about Mike. A couple of times when they've had a lift issue, a pairs commentator has pointed out that she's the one who made a mistake going into it, though the people in competition threads (not on here) mostly assume automatically that it was him.

I'm not arguing here that Mike's good at lifts, to be clear.
I agree. Appearances are deceiving without the technical background. I’m just observing as a viewer. At the same time after 5 years.....maybe A more mature program next year would will make a difference. I didn’t dislike what they did this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information