Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRed

Don't know where else to post this (feel free to move it to an appropriate thread):
Marjorie Lajoie is organizing a show on April the 2nd to support the Autism World awareness day near Montreal (Boucherville). Skaters include Lajoie/Lagha, Fear/Gibson, Plutowska/Flemin, Brasseur/Bardei, Alicia Pineault and others.
It's a good cause to support if you're in the area.
Link to tickets and description of the event:
Link
Bringing this over from the Canadian dance thread. I thought it was interesting to see B/B listed for the show given the split rumours.

Rafter

Just watched Walsh and Michaud on CBCs coverage. I just don’t get this team. The music choice was awful and choreography weak. I know she’s young so maybe that explains it. She needs a taller partner.

KMT and MM skated with a ton of speed and power going into their elements and I think that’s helping their marks with an international panel. On my screen they seemed like one of the fastest teams behind T/M and J/C.

yurokis40

The judges really like Kirsten she is a very strong skater with great skills, Marinaro has his weaknesses his mistake on the toe is the main reason they are not in the final group you can tell Kirsten was disappointed but I think next year is the year they will be real medal contenders with worlds in Canada.

manhn

They have to be satisfied, placement wise. They have an outside shot at a medal. You never know, Cheng Peng and Yang Jin's strength is their SP.

puglover

This year it seems in a number of instances KMT/MM have been so very close and lost out by a small margin - including yesterday where one point more would have put them in the last warm-up group. Let's hope the numbers move in their favor tonight! Of course, they have to skate it.:)

Sk8mom123

Just watched Walsh and Michaud on CBCs coverage. I just don’t get this team. The music choice was awful and choreography weak. I know she’s young so maybe that explains it. She needs a taller partner.

KMT and MM skated with a ton of speed and power going into their elements and I think that’s helping their marks with an international panel. On my screen they seemed like one of the fastest teams behind T/M and J/C.
I thought they had a ton of speed too.
So hard for the taller pair girls to find tall guys. I think we will have a few teams with limited height difference because it’s so hard to find a tall partner.

Colonel Green

I think we will have a few teams with limited height difference because it’s so hard to find a tall partner.
Our tall guys are all skating in singles.;)

Kirsten and Michael have had a pretty good season overall, but that was undeniably a somewhat disappointing conclusion to it. I wonder if the tilted jump in the short got into Michael's head, because he repeated the same error on both SBS in the free. That happens, of course (I think the same thing happened with Vanessa James doubling the opening triple in the three-jump combination). Anyway, they've made a lot of progress this year.

I gather from Jackie Wong that Trennt and Evelyn were having Salchow issues in practice so they only did a double, but they skated very well, and for my money were slightly undermarked relative to what some of their closest competitors were getting. Maybe we could shave a few points off Kirsten and Michael's score (they definitely got a somewhat generous score in the free -- maybe the judges love Pink Floyd) and give it to them.

puglover

I am definitely afraid to say this out loud but I will stick my neck out here. I loved the pair's event and think the very rightful team won. I do, however, miss the excitement that Duhamel/Radford brought to the table. I know I am Canadian and surely biased but as I looked at the planned elements for each team - there was not much difference. It is interesting to see the stats on the throws and some programs and elements are much superior but it just doesn't seem to me like there is anymore pushing of the envelope.

WanderlustTO

Was hoping for a better result from KMT and MM. I wanted to see top 5 and was silently praying for a bronze (although that would have been a reach).

But I will not complain. Overall I'm very happy with their season. They've had a heavy lift being the #1 in Canada, especially now that Seguin and Bilodeau are done.

I'm also filled with enthusiasm when it comes to KMT herself. She's 26 so not 'young' at all...but when you watch her skate I really don't think she's hit her peak...I can easily see her (and the team itself) continuing to improve over the Olympic cycle.

Janef

Definitely there must be a really dry well for pairs as the match ups will never make the long run or turn into something great. MM was a bag of nerves. She has really carried the load. Gotta give the Russians and Chinese teams credit. I don’t know how they are developed but they deliver in the clutch situations

Janef

Our tall guys are all skating in singles.;)

Kirsten and Michael have had a pretty good season overall, but that was undeniably a somewhat disappointing conclusion to it. I wonder if the tilted jump in the short got into Michael's head, because he repeated the same error on both SBS in the free. That happens, of course (I think the same thing happened with Vanessa James doubling the opening triple in the three-jump combination). Anyway, they've made a lot of progress this year.

I gather from Jackie Wong that Trennt and Evelyn were having Salchow issues in practice so they only did a double, but they skated very well, and for my money were slightly undermarked relative to what some of their closest competitors were getting. Maybe we could shave a few points off Kirsten and Michael's score (they definitely got a somewhat generous score in the free -- maybe the judges love Pink Floyd) and give it to them.
There are a couple of French Canadian tall guys that were mentioned on this thread previously.

Janef

Was hoping for a better result from KMT and MM. I wanted to see top 5 and was silently praying for a bronze (although that would have been a reach).

But I will not complain. Overall I'm very happy with their season. They've had a heavy lift being the #1 in Canada, especially now that Seguin and Bilodeau are done.

I'm also filled with enthusiasm when it comes to KMT herself. She's 26 so not 'young' at all...but when you watch her skate I really don't think she's hit her peak...I can easily see her (and the team itself) continuing to improve over the Olympic cycle.
Not unless the have a strong team leading the way. Well kmt is but mm gets really too nervous in the pressure situations is how I see it

fsfann

How about KMT & Morgan Cipres, if Vanessa retires?

I think KMT has so much potential...one of the strongest pairs girls out there, and Marinaro is trying hard, but he just can't keep up. (Kind of reminds me of Fusar-Poli & Margaglio....well, maybe not quite that bad... but...)

barbarafan

I think KMT has so much potential...one of the strongest pairs girls out there, and Marinaro is trying hard, but he just can't keep up. (Kind of reminds me of Fusar-Poli & Margaglio....well, maybe not quite that bad... but...)
Do you really think Didier would release him to skate for Canada. Besides KMT always said she was on a 8yr plan with Michael.

Orm Irian

Morgan's said before that he isn't interested in partnering with anyone but Vanessa, I'm afraid. But that's an interesting thought experiment a la Vanessa with Bruno Massot, which one of Bruno's old coaches was pushing for back in the day!

Janef

Ha ha now there is a fantasy matchup If kmt and mm are going to go another 4 years they need to improve the lifts and twist. I kinda wish kmt would consider a new partner but I doubt that will happen. Mm seems like a good person I wonder how much they train compared to the top top teams. Need also find a way to battle the nerves.

fsfann

Do you really think Didier would release him to skate for Canada. Besides KMT always said she was on a 8yr plan with Michael.

Nope, I don't think he'd be released, and I know KMT wants an 8 year plan... but I just odn't see how she's going to accomplish her goals with someone who doesn't seem to be at her level... He seems like a great guy and they seem to get along well etc... but I just don't know if he has what it takes to get to the next echelon. He's no Dylan or Eric or Charlie for that matter....

Janef

Nope, I don't think he'd be released, and I know KMT wants an 8 year plan... but I just odn't see how she's going to accomplish her goals with someone who doesn't seem to be at her level... He seems like a great guy and they seem to get along well etc... but I just don't know if he has what it takes to get to the next echelon. He's no Dylan or Eric or Charlie for that matter....
Agreed. It’s not going to happen. I kinda felt like watching their performance at worlds that the flaws they are able to mask generally were exposed here I don’t know where they go from here. Different training ?

Moustaffask8r

Very excited that I will see Lubov skate again.
Very disappointed that she is skating at Gauthier rink. As KMT2 are his special team and Richard appears to be totally bedazzled by KMT I do not forsee proper attention being given to this team. I think they would both do better to locate with Bruno at Ste.Julie ...but that is my opinion. I think B/B should have gone there as well. They have not mentioned choreographers yet.
Gauthier and Marcotte are not working together anymore?? when did I mis that??

Rock2

Two pairs spots is where we should be.
I think MT/M suffered from what J/C suffered from in this event -- pressure of knowing they have opportunity for a spot on the podium. Did them in.

For MT/M maybe the setback juices them to find more TES (and slightly better programs). They need 2 pts more out of their twist and a 3FTh would be nice, thank you. Hard to break 140 training the same elements.

Someone said W/M had 3S problems in practice? I think their struggle this year has been to find another jumping pass to go with the 3T combo. They have done 2A in the past and started the year trying the 3L. The core issue is that she doesn't have a reliable second triple. I don't think she's landed the 3S in competition yet as far as I know. Need to fix that over the summer. And as they know, the twist is a huge problem. I think they want to add back the flip throw as well. Big steps needed for them next year to compete with I/B and what seems to be B/B back from the dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information