2019 Oscars Red Carpet & Ceremony - All Awards Lead To Roma

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Kacey Musgrave is an amazing country singer who just won a big Grammy, I think for Album of the Year. The dress is a bit much but people paid attention!

I’m very meh about Green Book winning when the family of the black guy said the movie was far from accurate. Colman was terrific but so were Weisz and Stone, they deserved an Oscar for ensemble acting.

My favorite dresses were Michelle Yeoh, Charlize Theron who can wear the hell out of anything, and Amanda S-whatever.

Her name is Amandla (May be you spelled it right but the annoying autocorrect changed it) Stenberg. She played 12 year old Rue in The Hunger Games. She has grown into a beautiful young woman. I thought her dress was too transparent in the upper part. The color was pretty.

I thought Greenbook was a good movie. While it was not a typical Oscar Best Picture, it was well done in many areas. I enjoyed it. Although I was surprised by the win, I was not upset by it.

About accuracy, once again I have to say this is a feature film, not a documentary. They are telling a story and making it interesting and/ or dramatic, so I am ok with the poetic license. I don’t really care unless it is a historical film where major facts were changed (as in Mary Queen of Scots).

Movies do take poetic license, and in most cases I am ok with it. I was not that ok with something in The Social Network, but I still thought it was a very good movie. In a way I am glad that it didn’t win BP because the deviation from fact was really big (Zuckerberg’s personal life and he is very well known).

MsZem

I see the sea
I haven't seen any of the nominated films. In any of the categories. I really should start going to the movies again...

Re Green Book, most films that dramatize real-life events are not completely true to the original events. I understand how frustrating that must be to the families of the actual people involved, but it's not unusual. Obviously I can't speak as to the quality of the movie itself.

Also, holy crap did Henry Golding look hot last night
This is normal. Henry Golding is supposed to be the most gorgeous person on the red carpet ;)

Cast him in all the things.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Still can’t believe the Green Book is a Best Picture Oscar winner. I’m not a stickler for movies that are t very accurate in their story telling, but GB was just too corny and cheesy to be taken seriously. It was more of a Hallmark movie than s contender (and apparently winner!) of best picture

On cloud 9 over Olivia’s win though!!! :swoon: The Favorite was my favorite movie last year

peibeck

Simply looking
Helen Mirren was compared to Dame Barbara Cartland over here in the UK on morning TV. It was just THAT pink!

:lol: Actually pink is the hot color of the season. As for Mirren, her dress was actually layers of different colored sheers that gave the pink vibe. But if you see it in a lot of photos you can catch solid layers of yellow and orange. A very California look, imo.

Some of the after Oscar party dresses stars wore were a lot better than what they wore to the ceremony, imo. But biggest props to Melissa McCarthy, who changed into a track suit for the Vanity Fair bash. :lol:

Rob

Beach Bum
Holy crap, Glenn Close did not come to play. I hope she wins because if she loses wearing that...
She even came dressed as Oscar, but alas....

I liked Marina de Tavira, Regina King, Helen Mirren, Julia Roberts, Bree Larson, Allison Janney, Gaga, Maria Menounos, Laura Harrier, Constance Wu, Billy Porter, Mahershala Ali, Chadwick Boseman, Henry Golding

Gemma Chan's dress was dramatic, but not my thing. Amandla Stenberg's was nice, but a bit too much nude fabric showing through.

Did not like Rachael Weisz, Emma Stone, Kasey Musgreaves, Sarah Paulson, Linda Cardellini, Jason Momoa (color fine, fit bad - the suit looked scrunchier than the scrunchy), Maya Rudolf

Last edited:

love skating

Clueless American
I haven't seen any of the nominated films this year so I can't comment on how deserving any of them are/were. I've read many comment about Green Book as being the worst best picture winner since Crash. Am I the only one who really liked Crash? Sometimes it feels that way! lol

As for Oscar fashion, the Crazy Rich Asians cast all looked amazing, I'd put them all on the best dressed list but Michelle Yeoh was my favorite!

Reactions: Rob

oleada

I haven't seen any of the nominated films. In any of the categories. I really should start going to the movies again...

Same. The only movies nominated for anything that I saw were Crazy Rich Asians, Black Klansman and Black Panther. The movies this year (and most of last year’s, too) just didn’t inspire me to go see them. Maybe next year will be better.

The Favorite intrigues me but I thought The Lobster were 2 hours of my life I will never get back, so I’m hesitant to watch another of that director’s films.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

What did Glenn Close do to piss off the Academy?

I'm sure Olivia Colman is a very good actress, but man, The Favourite was a hot stinking mess of a movie.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Still too much for me, unfortunately.

And I really resent the money grab in the TV/entertainment industry these days. Cable is no longer good enough, as you've got to get Netflix and then Crave or Hulu or whatever. Though I do think I get Crave and Hulu with the cable, so they are probably not the best examples.

I think you're onto something here.

How many hours in a day / week, do we really have time to watch all of this TV, anyway.

It reminds me of a former flatmate who used to buy DVD after DVD. He never actually watched anything. Just collected. The reality being, if he never left the house for the next year or so, he could probably have watched a movie a day.

MsZem

I see the sea
She even came dressed as Oscar, but alas...
Can't outdo Tilda Swinton's agent when it comes to looking like an Oscar.

Same. The only movies nominated for anything that I saw were Crazy Rich Asians, Black Klansman and Black Panther.
I read the book - for which I'm grateful to FSU, because it came up in the book thread here a few years ago.

I have some travel coming up, maybe I'll be able to catch a movie or two on the flights :)

flyingsit

No. Queen opening was wonderful and assume everyone knew the music - it set a great party mood. I loved having it open with music like that - but in other years there may not be something as relevant. Having Amy/Tina/Maya be the first presenters was a good idea and set the tone.
They complain about the length - maybe if they had less commercials??

I have to say it... I love Queen's music but absolutely loathe Adam Lambert singing it. He has Freddie Mercury's range, but no passion, emotion, or interpretation.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody and considered any liberties it took with the truth with a grain of salt. It did Freddie Mercury proud, and when the rest of the band was part of making it and was happy, two thumbs up.

I'm thrilled for Olivia Colman, she was amazing as Queen Anne, even if The Favourite can also be described as an acquired taste (I adored it). I do feel sorry for Glenn, but when she showed up all in gold my mind immediately went back to the Kwan haters in 2002 who dumped on Kwan mercilessly and gleefully after the Olympics claiming she wore a gold dress for "Fields of Gold" because she thought she had the Olympic gold medal locked up, yadda yadda, ad nauseum. I've come to the conclusion a gold dress is a jinx; whether it's in sports or other entertainment, and you're up for a potential win, DON'T WEAR GOLD!!!!

VGThuy

I'm thrilled for Olivia Colman, she was amazing as Queen Anne, even if The Favourite can also be described as an acquired taste (I adored it). I do feel sorry for Glenn, but when she showed up all in gold my mind immediately went back to the Kwan haters in 2002 who dumped on Kwan mercilessly and gleefully after the Olympics claiming she wore a gold dress for "Fields of Gold" because she thought she had the Olympic gold medal locked up, yadda yadda, ad nauseum. I've come to the conclusion a gold dress is a jinx; whether it's in sports or other entertainment, and you're up for a potential win, DON'T WEAR GOLD!!!!

It worked for Meryl Streep the year she won her third Oscar for The Iron Lady but she's Meryl and Hollywood royalty who gets nominated for sneezing on film, and had a bunch of recent losses in a row under her belt by the time she wore gold.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody and considered any liberties it took with the truth with a grain of salt. It did Freddie Mercury proud, and when the rest of the band was part of making it and was happy, two thumbs up.

It worked for Meryl Streep though.

I do believe in jinx though. It is better not to wear a gold dress if you are a nominee.

I liked Julia Robert’s pink dress but not some of the other pink dresses.

Didn’t care for Regina King’s too open with a long trail.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I have to say it... I love Queen's music but absolutely loathe Adam Lambert singing it. He has Freddie Mercury's range, but no passion, emotion, or interpretation.

Having watched some concert videos, I think he does better in a proper concert situation, where he's playing to an audience that actually is enthused about Queen's presence... I hope that Queen + AL will soon announce an Australian leg of their current tour so I can test this hypothesis for myself.

I was enjoying watching Dr May rocking his way across that stage like he's not 72 this year. Live your best life.

smurfy

In my best Roger Taylor voice: "Are you joking?"

No, seriously, please tell me you're joking.

No I am not. This is just from my point of view. I was a teenager in the 70s and enjoyed Queen, have their greatest hits album. My brother, a music snob would make fun of me. Not everyone I knew seemed to like them.
Then in 1984 - Live Aid - I was surprised how so many people i knew made comments that they so surprised how great Queen was at the concert.
Then in the early 90s - another brother commented how his high students knew about Queen/ BohRhap - from Wayne's World. Comments about an old song being popular again.
I am not dissing Queen in anyway. But based on anecdotal comments from others around me over the years - it seems Queen got a boost with a new generation due to Wayne's World. Just my observation.
And in my experience at sporting events - with music like We Will Rock You and other standbys at arenas over the years - not everyone knows who did some of those songs. I grew up with parents and siblings that were all into music. But I have some friends that listen but know nothing about artists or history of career paths.
And then it seems since Adam Lambert - I have noticed more Queen.
Again this i just from my own observations.

If the Elton John movie does well this year - Elton can open the Oscars next year - if he has time from his multi year goodbye yellow brick road retirement tour.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Having watched some concert videos, I think he does better in a proper concert situation, where he's playing to an audience that actually is enthused about Queen's presence... I hope that Queen + AL will soon announce an Australian leg of their current tour so I can test this hypothesis for myself.

I was enjoying watching Dr May rocking his way across that stage like he's not 72 this year. Live your best life.

I've actually seen Queen + Adam Lambert in concert twice and both times they were spectacular. Lambert was phenomenal.

peibeck

Simply looking
Same. The only movies nominated for anything that I saw were Crazy Rich Asians, Black Klansman and Black Panther.

Actually "Crazy Rich Asians" wasn't nominated for ANY Academy Awards, which I found to be rather appalling.

It worked for Meryl Streep the year she won her third Oscar for The Iron Lady but she's Meryl and Hollywood royalty who gets nominated for sneezing on film, and had a bunch of recent losses in a row under her belt by the time she wore gold.

Now, now, she wasn't nominated for "Mary Poppins Returns." I don't recall her sneezing though... maybe that's why there wasn't a nod? :p

vgerdes

Adam Lambert has never tried to sound like Freddy Mercury.
That's part of his appeal, IMO.

Yes. I'm not 100 percent on board the Adam Lambert fan train (some of the songs he's done I've absolutely adored, while others were pretty meh), but one of the things I do appreciate about him is that he is unique. And he did a great job last night.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I haven't seen any of the nominated films this year so I can't comment on how deserving any of them are/were. I've read many comment about Green Book as being the worst best picture winner since Crash. Am I the only one who really liked Crash? Sometimes it feels that way! lol

As for Oscar fashion, the Crazy Rich Asians cast all looked amazing, I'd put them all on the best dressed list but Michelle Yeoh was my favorite!

I liked Crash a lot which is like being a Nickelback fan, apparently. And I love Adam Lambert, the most robbed singer in the history of talent shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information