Will we get 2020-21 GP assignments, and when?

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I have done nothing but observe.

But I have to say that it's kind of like having one of those guests who stands in the doorway and keeps saying "I gotta go" and then, as you prepare to close the door behind them and get on with your day, continues to talk and talk and talk.

Wanna stay? Come back in and have a cup of coffee. Wanna go? Leave already. But stop standing in the doorway yakking.

TallyT

I think the GP series will be announced, skaters will be allocated places, and everyone will cross fingers right up to when they have to cancel Skate America. And the chances are that they will have to (look at the current daily infection rate in the US for chrissake! Which countries are going to waive their border restrictions for that, or even the current Russian situation?)

If they don't, the decision may well be taken out of their hands by the local authorities, like it was with Worlds, if for no other reason than simple filthy lucre. There are probably only two countries in the world and about four skater-drawcards, three of them your choice of Russian girls, where the economic gains to the locality might be sufficient to outweigh the risks, especially as they would be hit by no audiences/influx of tourist money/publicity.

Maybe the skaters, including the biggest names, are looking even now at getting into as many domestic competitions in their country/current training country as possible; that would at least be something to tide us over, and maybe Europeans/4CC/Worlds will be possible.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
If we look at the six GPs - America, Canada, Russia, Japan, China, France.

The US is out. The infection is out of control over there and they have citizens (and a tyrant-wannabe) actively fighting means to control it. Add in the complicating factor of the (rightly) angry protests and it's just not gonna happen.

Canada is a maybe - they seem to be getting on top of things.

Russia is out. The infection rate has been climbing there and given a couple of high-ranked folks have "disappeared" for raising concerns about it, we can't be sure it will be under control by November.

China is out. There's just no way. People will be way too skittish to go to the literal source of infection - and now we see there's been another outbreak there.

Japan is probably out as they are concerned about being able to host the Olympics next year, which means stomping down the curve as quickly and as much as possible. They're not going to want to bring in skaters from other countries - especially not skaters from hotspot countries - for a single GP when the Olympics is at stake.

France - I don't know enough about France's situation to make a call but the last I heard it wasn't going that well.

Don't forget also that many countries still have a 14 day quarantine when you cross the border - let's say Brendan got invited to Skate Canada, he would have to quarantine in a hotel for 14 days the moment he arrived home to Australia - at his expense. If Canada still requires a 14 day quarantine upon entry into their country at that time, he'd be spending a month in quarantine for one competition.

And that's not even getting started on the possibility of many countries just outright refusing to open their borders to certain other countries. I can't see us opening the border to the US for a very long time, for example, and nor should we.

TallyT

And even the countries who are looking at opening borders will be picking and choosing who has to quarantine and who doesn't. Can you imagine the fuss and cries of injustice if for instance, Shoma or Rika can go straight to a GP host country and immediately be able to access rinks for practice, and Vincent or Bradie or the Russian ladies have to spend 14 days quarantine and practice-deprived first?

PeterG

I have done nothing but observe.

But I have to say that it's kind of like having one of those guests who stands in the doorway and keep saying "I gotta go" and then, as you prepare to close the door behind them and get on with your day, continues to talk and talk and talk.

Wanna stay? Come back in and have a cup of coffee. Wanna go? Leave already. But stop standing in the doorway yakking.

Could I have a diet Tab instead?

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
Even if some of the GPs went ahead, the fields are likely to be small and with last minute withdrawals, spots would be left vacant. No one is going to be able to book a flight last minute and go into quarantine before competing.
It’s not going to be worth it for international skaters unless they’re already training in the country in question.

Vagabond

For those of you who have just tuned in, here is a summary of the discussion so far:

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

feraina

Facts cant be denied

363 per 100 000 to 340 per 100 000

all you are doing is attacking me, and now you are hiding from me...thats mature
This got me curious. I looked up the stats. California does have more cases per capita than Nevada. But it has fewer deaths: 128 per million Instead of Nevada’s 150 per million. So Nevada is Likely just testing less and under reporting its true caseload. You’re not going to find cases that you don’t test for. Plus, California is much denser than Nevada and the climate in Nevada is more inhospitable to the virus than CA’s.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
CA is committed to testing. It's part of the re-opening plan. If you don't have adequate testing in place and good contact tracing, you can't re-open safely. Because re-opening is just a crap shoot (pun intended for Las Vegas) and all it takes is one super-spreader and you are back with a hotspot (or two or three) and no way to shut them down.

Sabine-Yuna

I think we all can agree here: skaters NEED competitions (every season, but especially in a pre-olympic season) and ISU has to take care to offer some. It will not be easy, but all sports have this problem right now and work their a... off to offer some possibilities. We have already mentioned that there are planned to hold a lot of competitions this late summer and fall (even int. ones like ECs, Tour de France and other big cycling events, tennis tournaments, track and field tournaments, soccer tournaments...) and I hope everything works out. I can only speak for Europe that goes almost everywhere back to some kind of normal without rising cases. I'm sure the UK and Russia will follow soon (it's probably just a matter of weeks).
You can drop figure skating and do nothing or try to offer something, learn from other sports, get their concepts. I'm sure we will have fans in soccer stadiums and handball arenas at the beginning of the new season in late summer, probably first not as many as usual. I can't see a reason why figure skating competitions should be a bigger problem.
In countries where they still quarantine people they will probably stop this soon, because no country can do this for a long time (except China). I think in Europe it's just the UK, maybe Russia that are quarantining. At the end of summer there is planned to be free travel not just within Europe, so I'm sure NA and Japan will be reachable. The main problem I see is China, so maybe no competitions there. I wouldn't call 31 cases in a city of 20 million a major outbreak, but after the mistakes this country has probably done they might not want to be the "problem" again.

skateboy

Would it hurt if you are a little optimistic or let some optimistic opinions be valid and not try to destroy them
Yes, when it comes to this p-dem-ick, it actually could hurt.

The US has been dealing with an incompetent "leader" that has ignored the current 'rona problem, started out by saying it was nothing but a hoax by the Democrats, then the numbers would go "from 15 down to zero," then it would "magically disappear" by April, then "just a flu," then we were going "to pack churches on Easter Sunday," then spouted off about ridiculous medical "cures" for which he has no expertise, then encouraged states to open up far too soon, then ignorantly stated "we're back," in early May said that the US was doing "very well" and that the death toll might hit "only" 75,000 in mid-August (we are now at 117,000 in mid-June), and now he's encouraging his supporters to come to one of his big rallies, only to make them all sign a release form which clears him, should they get You Know What.

And yet, people blindly follow and believe his "hopeful optimism," to the point where they ignore that the cases and death rates from this thing continue to climb in the US, at an alarming rate, far more than any other country in the world. And now we have mass gatherings all over the country, because US citizens are "over it."

Three friends of mine have died horribly on ventilators in hospitals, from this damn thing. Four others have gotten it and pulled through, although two of them now have severely compromised health as a result of it. These were not senior citizens with pre-existing conditions, they were vital, healthy individuals before they were hit with it. This thing is real, and it is frightening.

I too miss skating terribly, and I am sorry to rain on anyone's parade.

Japanfan

Yeah, US and Canad. But Europe will open the borders by next weeks. Just because USA and Canada do that it doesnt mean its the legit.

I am not sure what you mean by 'legit'. The government has the power to close the border and would have done so through the required processes/procedures. Which makes it 'legit'.

Yeah, but this is an american problem, they have over a quarter of infected and victims of the total number, in Asia and Europe its mostly under control and numbers have never beens so high like in USA.

So what would Canadians want the border open to Americans, given the horror show that is the USA?

Japanfan

Woah how mean. What do you know about sport events? We don't need audience...and if there is no audience, athletes are safe. How can you attack me if you dont even now me? Just because your country is too stupid to handle this ***** (because of the president and the many residents) it doesnt mean other countries are as stupid.

Perhaps you should get out before you dig the hole you are in any deeper.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Would I remember drinking Tab? I had PTSD from drinking things like Dr Pepper, root beer and chocolate soda when I visited the US as a child and may have blocked it from my memory. :scream:
In the 70s, Tab has a distinct aftertaste due to the artificial sweetener used. So you probably would remember it. Also, the can is pink! With a distinctive font for the word TAB. I think it would be hard to forget if you had ever had it. :D

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I had a friend who insisted on rum and Tab when we went out, supposedly because she was always on a diet. But you had to put a LOT of rum in to kill the Tab taste, so that cancelled out any calorie savings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information