Status
Not open for further replies.

vesperholly

Isabeau Levito’s Free at Middle Atlantic’s posted by Sylvia:

https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/sta...057195008?s=20

Stunning 3Lz with good height and distance. Spins are a little slow, but I’m sure they’ll work on it. She learned the 3Lz THIS YEAR and I’m sure they’re already working on the harder elements as they prepare for her international debut next year. Also, her knee bend is so satisfying.
Ooh, props to whichever coach that taught her that marvelous drawback on her toe jumps.

natsulian

Is it me or does the US seem to be finally building up the lower ranks with first Alysa and now with Levito and Kalin? It't to early to know what the future holds but it's great to see such talent at such a young age. It's not Russian depth yet but seeing these girls doing jumps and combos that in past years US Junior ladies champions couldn't do tells me that things are heading into the right direction. The days of a US Junior lady winning at 17 or 18 without all the triples may be over.
Our Novice/Junior ladies have attempted/landed more 3-3s (and clean ones to boot) than our senior ladies this season thus far:

• Isabelle - 3F+3T and 3Lz+3T (Learning 4T)
• Jessica - 3T+3T
• Alysa - 3Lz+3T and 3Lz+Eu+3S
• Meredith - 3Lz+3T
• Isabeau - 3Lz+3T and 3Lo+Eu+3S
• Mia - 3Lz+3T and 3F+Eu+3S (Learning 3A)
• Sarah - 3Lz+3T and 3F+Eu+3S (Learning 4S and has a 3A)
• Audrey - 3Lz+3T (Learning 4T)
• Elsa - 3Lz+3T (Learning 4T)
• Lindsay - 3Lz+3T
• Kate - 3Lz+3Lo and 3F+Eu+3S (Learning 3A)

The lower ranks have really begun to show off the big jumps. Now, it’s time to focus on consistency, skating skills, spins, and presentation.

Z

ZilphaK

Ooh, props to whichever coach that taught her that marvelous drawback on her toe jumps.

Isabeau is a performer, too! She looks only the wee-bittest subdued here, probably concentrating on the new jumps -- and thanks to a far-away camera -- but she's sharp. One of those "take a photo at any point in the program and it's a solid position" skaters. Nothing extraneous.

Sylvia

TBD
Is it me or does the US seem to be finally building up the lower ranks
The jump bonus system at the lower levels was implemented by USFS starting in the 2015-16 season and the subsequent effects on the younger generation of skaters (particularly in the past few Nationals at the Juvenile/Intermediate/Novice levels) have been discussed in previous U.S. ladies and other threads. So no, it's not just you who has this impression. ;)
11 yo Mia Kalin's clean, 7-triple (two 3-3s) junior freeskate at Skate St. Moritz this weekend... 3F, 3Lz-3T, 2A, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3F-Eu-3S, 2A+2T! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-MGEk2vzuA
The 2019 Skate St. Moritz protocols are published online and Kalin did receive one underrotation call (3F+1Eu+3S<) in her FS: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/SkStm19/2019SkateStMoritzIJSEvents/SEGM028.html
But great job by her overall :); thanks for sharing her latest video.

It looks like Alysa is planning to go for 3A+3T, 3Lo & 2A in her next JGP short program (b1 = one bonus point received for her 3A attempt), based on her Skate St, Moritz Junior SP exhibition protocol: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/SkStm19/2019SkateStMoritzIJSEvents/SEGM043.html
She received a < on her first 3A in combo, then popped the quad Lutz in her FS, and landed everything else: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/SkStm19/2019SkateStMoritzIJSEvents/SEGM044.html

Top 2 Senior ladies at Skate St. Moritz:
1 Lily Sun, Peninsula SC 144.35 1 1
2 Polina Edmunds, Peninsula SC 131.44 2 2 (slightly lower than her 132.91 total score at Skate San Francisco last month).
SP protocols: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/SkStm19/2019SkateStMoritzIJSEvents/SEGM025.html
FS protocols: http://www.stmoritzisc.org/SkStm19/2019SkateStMoritzIJSEvents/SEGM026.html

Someone who watched Polina's FS this past Sunday mentioned to me that her two singled jumps (Lutz & flip) near the beginning "looked intentional" (I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was told her SP music is something from Cats and her FS is a piano & orchestra piece that sounds "more modern than true classical").

Spun Silver

Isabeau Levito’s Free at Middle Atlantic’s posted by Sylvia:

https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/sta...057195008?s=20

Stunning 3Lz with good height and distance. Spins are a little slow, but I’m sure they’ll work on it. She learned the 3Lz THIS YEAR and I’m sure they’re already working on the harder elements as they prepare for her international debut next year. Also, her knee bend is so satisfying.
Oh, she's wonderful!

natsulian

The Calista, Isabelle, and Elsa trio will be one to watch, much like the Ting, Alysa, and Hanna trio. Hopefully Pooja can make it a quad.

natsulian

With the conclusion of the Short, Karen Chen sits in 3rd with a score of 60.89. Karen received an under-rotation call on the 3Lz+3T and 3Lo. Best of luck in the Free.

B.Cooper

Ashley Wagner is part of quite the illustrious class of athletes for the "Crossover to Business" course at Harvard Business School. Lots of summer and winter Olympic and World medalists in the group.

A brief article from the Boston Herald on the program and Wagner...

The students of the Crossover to Business course which is a semester course, is a program for professional athletes, who are mentored by current MBA students at Harvard

"Built to help professional athletes be better prepared for business activities during and after their active sports careers, the Crossover Into Business program matches athletes with a pair of Harvard Business School’s MBA student mentors. These mentors help the athletes develop their business acumen and empower them to make better business decisions, all in a way that fits the athletes’ busy lives, is tailored to their interests, and leverages the acclaimed Harvard Business School case method."

Enrollment and acceptance are thru Harvard BSchool and the leagues/NGBs/etc that Crossover to Business partners with.

Sylvia

TBD
3rd in SP at Autumn Classic for Karen Chen 60.89 [31.41 / 30.48 -1.00 (Time violation)].
SP elements as listed on her protocol:
3Lz+3T<
2A
FCSp4
3Lo<<
CCoSp4
StSq4
LSp4
She skates second to last in the FS tomorrow afternoon.

The other 4 U.S. Ladies skating on Friday:

JGP Chelyabinsk SP in Russia:
#10 Kate Wang 11:23-29 local time (2:23-29 am Eastern time)
#27 (of 30) Audrey Shin 13:57-14:04 local time (4:57-5:04 am Eastern time)

Lombardia Trophy SP in Bergamo, Italy:
#2 Starr Andrews 14:41-46 local time (8:41-46 am Eastern time)
#9 Megan Wessenberg 15:14-19 local time (9:14-19 am Eastern time)

natsulian

Bradie Tennell recently posted on Instagram, captioning:
Finally kicking the boot! I now I've been kind of MIA [missing in action] but I've really been focusing on my recovery. Unfortunately not quite in time for the Autumn Classic, but I want to wish everybody who is competing the best of luck!!!

It seems like she's fully recovered and ready to tackle the new season. Best of luck to her.

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2VGH1-FJUt/?igshid=w52wmx3hn9ve

jlai

Question everything
Audrey is nortorious for underrotations and downgrades that don’t get called domestically. I counted five underrotations in her FS. She’s going to get a far lower score internationally.

I thought they would be taken care of when she was with Raf, but she didn’t improve. That was three years ago. I think like Tessa, she’s just one of those skaters who’s rotation issues aren’t scrutinized enough domestically, leading to them enduring for years.
Unfortunately her ur came into play again today. I think she just needs to relearn the technique starting from singles, doubles, instead of trying 3-3

Last edited:

natsulian

Kate was wonderful and poor Audrey received a -6 in deductions. Kate had all Level 3s and 4s if I recall and with more exposure and experience could truly become something special. Cannot wait. Best of luck in the Free.

SkateFanBerlin

Not a bad day for US ladies. Kate Wang moved up to 5th place and looks to be a steady competitor. Starr looked good as well. She looks like a senior now - her PCS mark was good. Her jumps are high and powerful; assume she's working on 3A/4's. Her 3-3's weren't there today so score was 10 points lower than it should haven been.

Sylvia

TBD
poor Audrey received a -6 in deductions.
Audrey Shin took a hard fall on her 3Lz+3T combo in the SP yesterday and had to stop to tie up her laces (eta: and get off the ice; she later posted in her IG story that her right blade was loose). She incurred a mandatory deduction of -5 for the interruption but was able to finish her program. I'm glad to see she had a much better performance today, pulling up from 19th in SP to place 8th in FS and 12th overall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXnfTdTAprE

Last edited:

natsulian

Current USA Ladies' Standings:
1. Alysa Liu, 208.10 (JGP USA)
2. Starr Andrews, 181.18 (Lombardia Trophy)
3. Karen Chen, 173.66 (Autumn Classic International)
4. Kate Wang, 164.59 (JGP Russia)
5. Gabriella Izzo, 160.94 (JGP Latvia)
6. Hanna Harrell, 160.50 (JGP France)
7. Isabelle Inthisone, 156.03 (JGP Latvia)
8. Emilia Murdock, 148.95 (JGP USA)
9. Jessica Lin, 148.35 (JGP USA)
10. Calista Choi, 148.19 (JGP France)
11. Audrey Shin, 143.29 (JGP Russia)
12. Megan Wessenberg, 135.72 (Lombardia Trophy)

Upcoming events:
  • JGP Poland this week in which Alysa Liu and Lindsay Thorngren will be competing
  • USA Classic this week in which Ting Cui and Amber Glenn will be competing

Willin

@vesperholly Idk. To me it doesn't look like he's pulling so much as lifting it with her own lift (meaning it's working with her own momentum rather than holding her up only by virtue of the harness), which is perfectly acceptable. It's not more than any other jump coach does for any other skater's jumps.

vesperholly

@vesperholly Idk. To me it doesn't look like he's pulling so much as lifting it with her own lift (meaning it's working with her own momentum rather than holding her up only by virtue of the harness), which is perfectly acceptable. It's not more than any other jump coach does for any other skater's jumps.
Well yes, he's not yanking her off the ice from a standstill. Gracie has a great triple lutz. But he's still putting a lot of his own lift into the jump.

sk8nlizard

I
Well yes, he's not yanking her off the ice from a standstill. Gracie has a great triple lutz. But he's still putting a lot of his own lift into the jump.
I felt like the Quad Sal that was posted looked a lot less assisted than the quad lutz. Either way, I hope this means her triples are fairly reliable and we might see her try to qualify to Nationals this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information