Status
Not open for further replies.

Willin

Kristi, although she practices/skates at rinks Alysa doesn't go to, is a member of Alysa's club, so I'd assume she's in touch with Alysa in some way/shape/form. Most of the skaters from that club have a very good support system with the adult skaters, officials, and other kids at the rink. It's a very positive and supportive training environment.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I happened upon a YouTube video that was a Q/A with Alysa. She was as adoreable in the chair as she is on the ice. Totally endearing. She was asked questions (via video) by Kristi, Tara, Michelle, and I think I left one out.

I don't think there is a single aspect of her persona either on or off the ice this is not genuine. Her father has done a wonderful job with her.

olympic

Well, first was there was Kristi Yamaguchi - Miss nerves of steel.

Kwan seemed to do well with pressure too for all competitions that didnt start with OLYMPI.....

Though, I think she didn't like to compete. I believe that was a key reason she did not reinstate / stay in until 1994.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Though, I think she didn't like to compete. I believe that was a key reason she did not reinstate / stay in until 1994.

Really? I'm not doubting you, I just never heard that before. What I understood with Kristi was that she was planning that '94 would be 'her' time to win Gold, as she expected Ito to win in '92, but she would up winning in Albertville and had thus accomplished what she had set out to do. The fact that she kept her technical level so high while competing in Pro Comps would also seem to suggest that she had a pretty strong competitive streak...again, not saying you're wrong, just never heard that narrative before.

natsulian

Really? I'm not doubting you, I just never heard that before. What I understood with Kristi was that she was planning that '94 would be 'her' time to win Gold, as she expected Ito to win in '92, but she would up winning in Albertville and had thus accomplished what she had set out to do. The fact that she kept her technical level so high while competing in Pro Comps would also seem to suggest that she had a pretty strong competitive streak...again, not saying you're wrong, just never heard that narrative before.
I remember one of Kristi's quotes in which she stated something along the lines of, "I don't question why I skate, but I question why I compete sometimes."

Debbie S

Yes, I always assumed Kristi had accomplished all of her goals (OGM, WC, Nat'l champ) and wanted to take advantage of the big-money opportunities that were available back then. I believe she did apply for reinstatement for 94 when they allowed pros to do it but the word was she wanted to compete in pairs, not singles. I think I read she tried out with Rocky Marval but he ended up staying with Urbanski? But Oly-eligible or pro, Kristi was clearly the top woman in the world from 92-95. Her pro comp programs could have won Nats and Worlds during those years.

olympic

I'm not sure if it was the TSL interview or another, but I think from her lips to the public, she said something similar and I wish I had the source. She enjoyed being out on the ice for the public but didn't like the pressure of competition.

Frida80

Kristi liked competing a lot. She only stopped competing in both singles and pairs a few years before the 1992 Olympics.

natsulian

Congratulations extended to Alysa Liu who became the very first non-Russian and Japanese lady skater to win a Junior Grand Prix title in SIX YEARS. Liu executed a stunning 3A+2T, 4Lz, 3A<< (Fall), 3Lo, 3Lz+3T, 3Lz+Eu+3S, and 3F, becoming the VERY FIRST female in the history of the sport to perform both a quad and a 3A in the same program. Furthermore, following the second Junior Grand Prix event, Liu now holds the highest Short and Long program scores for the junior ladies' division. Additionally, Liu has the highest total score for the junior ladies this season with five more events to come. Liu will represent the USA once again in her second Junior Grand Prix event in Poland.

EDIT: Changed it from "five" to "six" years as the last non-Russian or Japanese lady to win a JGP title was Polina Edmunds back in 2013.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
ITS AMAZE BALLS!!!

and as far as country for the AWESOME FULLY rotated quad (again) Is it Russia, Japan (Miki Ando) and KAZ, then USA is 4th as far as successful quad in ladies???

natsulian

New articles posted by NBC and the New York Times alongside local news coverage.

In the NBC article, Alysa was interviewed right after her Free and she said she does not “obsess” over records and just wants to do her very best.

Notable Comments:
  • Started practicing ballet to help with presentation, flexibility, and spins
  • Goes through her programs without jumps
  • Began adding in skating skills exercises
  • No more new quads and the focus right now is on skating skills
  • Alysa said she missed her second 3A because she was too slow and she wants to go in with more speed
  • She wants to “add more speed” to her skating
Sources:
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...ix-lake-placid/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-quadruple-lutz-in-junior-grand-prix-win.aspx

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I’m really happy for Alysa. She has a joyfulness to her skating that’s endearing. I feel her long program is a really special piece, very well suited to her. And I also love her Streisand SP (and appreciate that she’s skating 2 quite different styles). Her jumps are certainly amazing of course (although still needing to keep an eye on rotation). But I also really love her spins, which are so fast and well set to the music and with some distinctive and beautiful positions. Well done, Alysa!

olympic

The announcer stated that Alysa is the first non RUS-JPN skater to win a JGP event in the past 5 years. So, for the past 5 Jr. Grand Prix seasons, all the winners on each year's circuit have been RUS-JPN? I never reviewed every event, but that is pretty amazing.

natsulian

Jennifer Thomas, the composer of Alysa’s Free music commended her on Twitter. Thomas stated that she saw the program and got “chills”. What an amazing compliment coming from the artist herself.

Source: https://twitter.com/jennifer_thomas/status/1168069461741461504?s=20

A bit of a side note, Alysa was on Korean NATIONAL news for hitting the 4Lz and 3A.

Last edited:

CaliSteve

Kwan handled pressure greatly in ‘98. It’s 2002 where it showed. Isn’t she alysas idol? I watched videos with skating friends here at university. 98 Olympic was something special. 2002 not so much, but I could see a case for Kwan getting good at both.

Alysa did mention that Michelle was her idol. Her dad is a fan too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information