Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRed

Unlike most of the other top Ladies competitors, Tennell has plenty of room for higher Program Component Scores.
Sure. But even still, I don't see her beating any of Alina, Evgenia, Carolina, Wakaba, Satoko or Kaetlyn when they skate well. Even if she improves, she's not going to be at Kaetlyn, Evgenia, Carolina, Satoko level next season (imo). Feel free to disagree. Now like I said, they may not all be there or skate well. But I still think she'll be depending on others for a very high placement. And there are plenty of others who could beat Bradie too (Kaori, Gabby, Polina T, etc.)

Of course, we'll have to see how the new GOE system affects things.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't think we've heard anything about Kostner. I think it depends on who shoes, but if Tennell remains consistent, I think she has a shot for 5th, even with competition from Russia and Japan #3's for example, and Daleman.

Willin

Wasn’t Karen 4th when she went?
I'm too afraid to post any expectations for Karen Chen or even think she'll make the World team.

Anyway, it's so refreshing for Mirai to straight up tell us she's not going to continue to 2022.
Certainly Karen's capable of getting in the Top 5. Whether or not her consistency issues will work themselves out is another story. I think if she can acknowledge the problems she has with jumps and consistency and works to improve those, the sky's the limit.
One of the reasons her focus on the boots annoys me so much is that it makes it seem like she's ignoring the other improvements she needs to make. I don't think she actually is, but certainly it's a concerning mindset to project.

If the Tammy Gambill (and by extension Karen) to World Arena is happening, I think being near Tom Z and the other great coaches and skaters there will really help her out. As much as I dislike Tom Z's style in packaging a skater as a whole, he can teach jumps very well.

Unlike most of the other top Ladies competitors, Tennell has plenty of room for higher Program Component Scores. Whther she can earn them remains to be seen.
ITA. I think Bradie can really up her game with the PCS. It sounds like she's working on that in the off season. That + being the top US lady + her consistency + now being on her 2nd full Senior season will really help her marks. I could see her exceeding expectations again this season and sneaking into the Top 5 at worlds if she remains consistent.

Marco

With the veterans all but gone, US ladies is entering a developmental phase. It seems like a vacuum because the wave that was supposed to come after Ashley / Gracie didn't quite rise to the occasion internationally (Polina, Courtney, Amber, Tyler, even Karen) The only hope left from that generation is Bradie and more hope is on the next generation now, but Ting, Pooja and Alysa isn't going to be eligible for seniors for a few more seasons...

Debbie S

Ting, Pooja and Alysa isn't going to be eligible for seniors for a few more seasons...
Ting and Pooja are 15 and are eligible for Senior int'ls the coming season. I believe both are planning to compete on the JGP this fall.

VGThuy

I sort of feel like the US ladies have been in the developmental phase since 2007 and has never left it. We've obviously had some bright spots and if you look at the World Championship standings, U.S. ladies have not done that badly actually. It just always feels like the ladies program overall was always still developing and working on everything.

kwanatic

Has Caroline said for sure she’s retiring? I expect she will. But I haven’t heard anything official either.

I forgot about Caroline! No, I haven't heard anything about her retiring but at this point it's pretty clear she continues to compete b/c she enjoys it. She continues to do Senior Bs and small events and does well, but Caroline hasn't been competitive on the major international scene since 2012. Still, I suppose she counts technically.

I suppose she's the last one standing at this point! Everyone else has stepped away.

kwanatic

I don't think we've heard anything about Kostner. I think it depends on who shoes, but if Tennell remains consistent, I think she has a shot for 5th, even with competition from Russia and Japan #3's for example, and Daleman.

I don't know...Japan's team has really grown in depth over the past two seasons. In addition to Satoko (who is usually a good top 5 bet) you have:

Wakaba Higuchi - 2nd in the world and can reap those rewards if she continues to perform well
Kaori Sakamoto - she was rough last year but still managed to impress with her abilities. Better packaging and we'll likely see a hike in her PCS
Mai Mihara - small sophomore slump last year but is capable of pretty massive scores when she's clean, which she often is
Marin Honda - her debut wasn't as impactful as many expected but she's stunning and capable of strong scores. She could have a breakout season this year.
Rika Kihira - making her senior debut this year and is bringing the 3A with her. Rika beat out Wakaba at nationals for bronze. She was the first woman to get full credit for an 8-triple FS (Mirai was the 2nd, and the first senior woman to do so). She has a FS with two 3As: a solo and one in combination (3A-3T). Rika could be a major factor this season...

Regardless who the #3 is, they would make it very difficult for Bradie to come out on top if they throw down. I guess we'll have to see what Bradie comes up with next season in terms of her packaging and how the judges respond to it.

Marco

Ting and Pooja are 15 and are eligible for Senior int'ls the coming season. I believe both are planning to compete on the JGP this fall.

Oh thanks. Will they also skate at Nationals at the Sr or Jr level? I am trying to imagine Pooja making the senior national podium and going to Worlds with Bradie.

StitchMonkey

Oh thanks. Will they also skate at Nationals at the Sr or Jr level? I am trying to imagine Pooja making the senior national podium and going to Worlds with Bradie.

They both competed as seniors last weekend at the Broadmoor Open (Pooja SP only) so I think they may both be domestic seniors now.

Marco

Oh how wonderful! Just as well. It's a new quad. Time to move up. No point in waiting.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't know...Japan's team has really grown in depth over the past two seasons.
Two of them were already above her 6th, and they can only have three at a time. Each of the top Japanese Ladies has had blips and Miyahara fell from second to off the podium the next year. Tennell will have to remain consistent and start getting inelastic PCS, but it's not that often all three Ladies from one country hit at the same time.

Sylvia

TBD
I originally posted this link to my compilation of results, program music, and a few videos in the 2018 Broadmoor Open competition thread in the 2018-19 Kiss & Cry section (which now requires a season pass to access) so I'm re-posting the link here, too: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com...ugural-peggy-fleming-trophy-aerial-challenge/

The top 6 finishers in the Broadmoor Open Senior Ladies combined event were Alysa Liu, Hanna Harrell, Ashley Lin, Sierra Venetta, Livvy Shilling and Ting Cui.

They [Ting Cui & Pooja Kalyan] both competed as seniors last weekend at the Broadmoor Open (Pooja SP only)
This is my note in my blog: "Pooja Kalyan won (66.74), skating elegantly to “Bacchanale” from Saint-Saens’ Samson and Delilah – jumps were 3T+3T, 3F & second half 2A."

ETA for @kwanfan1818:
I couldn't find any biographic info, and she looks so mature and elegant, I thought she might be a late-teen junior.
Pooja Kalyan turned 15 last November and is originally from Arkansas (still represents Ozark FSC); AFAIK, she primarily trains in the Chicago area with Alex Ouriashev. She was the 2017 U.S. Novice bronze medalist and won the bronze in her novice international debut at Golden Bear in Croatia (October 2016), behind Kaitlyn Nguyen and Audrey Shin. This comp. also was Starr Andrews' international debut and she won the gold in Junior Ladies.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

I originally posted this link to my compilation of results, program music, and a few videos in the 2018 Broadmoor Open competition thread in the 2018-19 Kiss & Cry section (which now requires a season pass to access) so I'm re-posting the link here, too: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com...ugural-peggy-fleming-trophy-aerial-challenge/

This is my note in my blog: "Pooja Kalyan won (66.74), skating elegantly to “Bacchanale” from Saint-Saens’ Samson and Delilah – jumps were 3T+3T, 3F & second half 2A."
Pooja was an unexpected and wonderful surprise last year in San Jose. I'll be looking forward to seeing her skate along with Ting and Alysa Liu going forward. There is hope!

Sylvia

TBD
Audrey Shin won [SoCal Interclub] Junior Ladies with a total of 169.79 (63.32 SP, 106.47 FS) but I have no details on how she skated.
FWIW, Audrey currently has the highest total score among the U.S. junior ladies at this early point in the season. Here are her programs from the SoCal Interclub comp.:
SP (French Italian song - can someone identify please?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Dt51tEuqk
FS (Romeo & Juliet pieces composed by Rota & Korzeniowski): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOhYAD6zXIY
She turned 14 in March.

Last edited:

binbinwinwin

Audrey's SP music is Italian actually, Via Con Me aka It's Wonderful but I don't recognize the version, I know the original is by Paolo Conte.

Frida80

Sure. But even still, I don't see her beating any of Alina, Evgenia, Carolina, Wakaba, Satoko or Kaetlyn when they skate well. Even if she improves, she's not going to be at Kaetlyn, Evgenia, Carolina, Satoko level next season (imo). Feel free to disagree. Now like I said, they may not all be there or skate well. But I still think she'll be depending on others for a very high placement. And there are plenty of others who could beat Bradie too (Kaori, Gabby, Polina T, etc.)

Of course, we'll have to see how the new GOE system affects things.

It's actually a lot easier than you think. All she needs to do is be consistent and her PCS scores will skyrocket. The same thing happened with Shoma and Nathan. If she can performance as consistently as she has in the first half of last season, her PCS scores and GoE will rise to their level after three or four competitions.

Dobre

Shoma & Nathan have been outscoring their peers on PCS for years. Just not their elders. That took a while. And Nathan, at least, went out and spent months working with one of the most famous dance & pairs choreographers in the World; then worked with Lori and Shae-Lynn. It was far from easy.

I do not recall Bradie outscoring her peers on PCS for years. I think consistency will help raise her scores; but I'd say she also has some serious work to do on her second mark.

Frida80

Shoma & Nathan have been outscoring their peers on PCS for years. Just not their elders. That took a while. And Nathan, at least, went out and spent months working with one of the most famous dance & pairs choreographers in the World; then worked with Lori and Shae-Lynn. It was far from easy.

I do not recall Bradie outscoring her peers on PCS for years. I think consistency will help raise her scores; but I'd say she also has some serious work to do on her second mark.

Yeah, that’s why it’s disappointing that Bradie didn’t go to a higher ranked Choreographer this year. Just the name alone would’ve raised her PCS score.

Last edited:

RoseRed

That's my feeling as well.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
FWIW, Audrey currently has the highest total score among the U.S. junior ladies at this early point in the season. Here are her programs from the SoCal Interclub comp.:
SP (French Italian song - can someone identify please?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Dt51tEuqk
FS (Romeo & Juliet pieces composed by Rota & Korzeniowski): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOhYAD6zXIY
She turned 14 in March.

She is 14! Holy Crap.

The SP looked like a 14 kid vamping, way overdone IMO.
The FS was lovely and mature. That did NOT look like a 14 year old. Can't believe it is the same person, actually.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
OMG! Bradie is skating to Romeo and Juliet this year. Please shoot me. IMO you have to have a lot of presence on the ice to pull that off. Nuanced moves with complete stretch from the core out through the fingers and toes. I don't think this is going to be good.....and I will be happy to be wrong.

Frida80

OMG! Bradie is skating to Romeo and Juliet this year. Please shoot me. IMO you have to have a lot of presence on the ice to pull that off. Nuanced moves with complete stretch from the core out through the fingers and toes. I don't think this is going to be good.....and I will be happy to be wrong.

No one can skate well to this music anymore. It’s so over done that I recoil every time I hear it. There are some exceptions, Marin. But everyone should avoid this music st all cost.

Frida80

She turned 14 in March.

She still has so many unders even though Raf has been coaching her for two years. I think her leg wrap is a lot better, but she really needs to work on rotating her jumps. According to her protocols she got five calls.

http://socalinterclub.org/2018 championship results/IJS champion_html/SEGM018.html

Last year I gave Raf a pass because he was coaching potentially four Olympians. This year I realize she may never get the attention she needs with him adding Eunsoo and Marin.

VGThuy

Sasha Cohen is the only female singles skater who really made Romeo & Juliet work for me. She was brilliant and I haven't seen any other that didn't just look like a mere skating program. Anissina/Peizerat's R&J is the standard I use for every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information